About Me: Let's Introduce Ourselves!

Replies

• emy_r
    emy_r Posts: 213 Member
    Hi! I'm Brenda and I live in SD. I will be 45 this summer and have one seven year old son.

I never had weight problems until I hit 40. Somehow I gained 20 pounds in three years. Couldn't have been the ice cream I had every night for a snack, could it? Yep, that's my downfall. I love ice cream. So I quit the evening ice cream, started JM 90 Day Body Revolution and MFP. Since starting a regular exercise routine I've got more energy, so am better able to keep up with my very active son! I'm having trouble with the 1200 calorie diet. Feel like I'm hungry all the time. Also, I haven't lost any weight this last two weeks and it's frustrating!

Thanks for starting this group! It's hard taking this journey alone so will be great to share it with others my age.

Brenda,

What gets me is that my husband and girls can have homemade chocolate milkshakes several times a week, and I'm try to be so good and just have my 40 calorie fudgesicles. They stay slim, and I steadily gain weight! 10 years ago I could have a shake with them with no problems. Hoping an exercise program and logging my calories will help me start losing. Logging my food has been an eye opener! Even when trying to eat healthy, I know I was eating way too many calories.
  • davisc02
    davisc02 Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm Cynthia, I'm almost 47 years old and live in the Pacific Northwest. I also have had trouble losing weight once I hit the big 40. I need to lose about 20 pounds and it is a long process. I'm glad that I found this site as it is helping me realize exactly what I'm eating and how much my exercising is helping me.
  • burton112770
    burton112770 Posts: 3 Member
    Hi all...I'm Beth from NC, this is my first go a at a group. I'm 43, only 5' tall so every pound counts and I would love to lose 30-35 of the ones that I have :) . I have a very demanding job where I have everything in line but at home I am mess! I am not organized and having healthy meals ready at a reasonable time is my biggest challenge. I'm looking forward to some support by women like myself. Thanks!
  • Hi, my name is Carrie. I live in Maine and turned 44 this year. My weight gain in the last 3 years has been around 25 pounds. I joined MFP awhile back but cannot seem to stay on it (2 - 4 weeks is my average). I hope that joining this group will help motivate and encourage me.
  • JetWan
    JetWan Posts: 204 Member
    Jetta,

How long have you been dealing with back issues, if you don't mind sharing? I had micro decompression surgery (L5/S1) in 2003. It really motivated me at the time to start exercising and to lose my post baby weight. Unfortunately I have really let my weight and fitness slip the last few years. Losing weight and a consistent exercise program is what I need to do to help minimize future issues with my back but I'm also always nervous about doing something different that might cause me to reinjure myself.
    [/quote]

Hi Emy

My back problems started at 30. L4 bulged in 2000, then L5 slipped early this year and around 2009 there was compression in some area of my neck. I feel they're all related to my 4 spinal taps. I have some pain everyday but the exercise is helping. The trick is strengthening your core without injuring yourself further, its a very fine line.

Good luck.
  • summerluno2
    summerluno2 Posts: 313
    We got busy today - that is great!!! Welcome everyone. Nice to find active friends our age and experiencing the same struggles with weight after 40. Not that I'm saying it's nice that we have THAT in common :)

Keep checking in … posting …. and motivating us all! I will be doing the same.

Nite … see you tomorrow!
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Hi girls, hope you don't mind me joining. I'm Andrea and I'm from the UK. I'm 41 with a 7 and 5 yr old and have been on MFP for the last couple of years but have fallen off the wagon a few times. Been really sticking to it since Jan of this year and so far have lost 10.8lbs. I'm certainly finding since hitting 40 the weight doesn't come off easily, plus I was on some meds for nerve damage for a few years which affected my metabolism, gradually making me put weight on and blocking me from losing it despite my best efforts. I've now come off the meds and am losing a steady 1/2lb a week. Not a lot but I'm thankful for a small regular loss without having to deny myself anything - I believe life is too short to make yourself miserable about food. :drinker:
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Hi - lets see - I am Shelly...46 years old living in Richmond, Va. I'm just shy of 5'2" and petite/small boned so while my weight looks fine numbers-wise, it really isn't on me! The most discouraging thing is that after getting up to 146 about 6 years ago, I had lost it all and then some - getting down to my HS weight of 105..and I was 40 at the time! Then about 2 years ago the pounds started creeping back and i got into the 130s. I started traveling more for work and it was gradual. Ive been totally unable to take it off this time! I will admit I've not been totally committed until now, which is why I'm here! Ive been using the app to log food but never branched out. I think connecting w/ others is going to be a big help!

Hi Shelly we're hoping to relocate to VA next year. My husband was working in Crosspointe last year training people in the new Rolls Royce factory. Me and the kids spent a month with him (he was living in Tobacco Row) and we fell in love with the place, so hoping we can make the move over there x
  • LisaPower123
    LisaPower123 Posts: 1,837 Member
    Hi! I'm Lisa, and I am 43, from Windsor Ontario. I have 2 kids aged 13 & 9. My husband & I own a busy pool & spa store, so for 6 months of the year I am working crazy hours while trying to balance kids, activities, work & eating healthy. I gained weight after quitting smoking in 2007, and start to lose it during the winter but gain it back when we are busy during the summer. I am hoping this is the summer that I continue to lose, so that in the next year I lose it all!

I need somewhere to check in daily, so hopefully I have found the place. I just finished moderating a 90 day challenge that kept me going.

Currently I do heavy lifting 3 times/week & I run on the off days.
  • Michal833
    Michal833 Posts: 90 Member
    I will be 45 next month. I joined MFP 13 months ago. I was thin in my teens. Then over the next 2 decades, while I was busy raising my kids, I did not focus on healthy foods, just mostly foods that the kids would eat rice, pasta, pizza. I was a carb addict and I told myself I do not have time to prepare salads that only I will eat. I did not have much time to exercise. Of course the weight piled on. I decided I must do something when I realized I weighed exactly the same as I did right before giving birth to my oldest, and my youngest was then 6.5. Of course I heard all the bad rap about women in their 40s and how impossible it is to lose weight and blaming it on hormones, etc. Even though I did not think I would ever be thin again, I decided I must give it a try. I was in the mid to upper 150s and originally set my goal at 135. Now I am down to 122 and have been maintaining for a few months. This program really works. I walk a lot, swim, and once in a while go on the elliptical machine. I look and feel great! My doctor says and I have proven that it has nothing to do with hormones or being in one's 40s but everything to do with calories in and calories out. I know others have different experiences, and I am sympathetic, but I am trying to encourage anyone who is discouraged before they even try.
  • maureli
    maureli Posts: 722 Member
    Hello! Happy to have found this group :) I'm Maureen in Nova Scotia. Just turned 46 yrs old, and have 2 teenage boys. I lost about 60 lbs back in 2003 and have done a "pretty" good job at keeping it off...but this past winter had a hard time. I need to lose about 15-20 lbs right now. I don't have any problem with exercise...its food that gives me the problem! I have been running for quite a few years, its my main form of exercise but I also do some strength classes and workout videos.

Look forward to getting to know you all
  • summerluno2
    Welcome to all the new lady friends - glad you joined us!
  • MommaRobs
    MommaRobs Posts: 24 Member
    Good Morning Everyone. I'm Robin, I turn 47 tomorrow and I live in Wisconsin. Married, 2 girls 23 & 17, and I work full time. I was thin until I hit about 30, and since then have had a huge struggle with weight. Type 1 diabetic, which makes it very difficult for me to lose, but I really need to get rid of about 50-60 lbs. Not sure if I will have much to offer, but I will be thankful and grateful for the support and ideas.
  • cullumshelly
    cullumshelly Posts: 4 Member
    Hello there - Thats a loong distance relo!!! We love it here - I am from suburban Washington DC(Arlington Va) but I was transferred here 3 years ago and I wouldnt go back for anything. Is there a Rolls Royce facility here? I never knew that! We live about 10mins west of the city in Short Pump...only bc my son is in HS and the schools are excellent here. If it wasnt for that, we would live downtown. Its a great city! While Ive only lived here 3 years feel free to ask me ANY questions or if there is anything I can look into for you - I would be happy to!
  • jocop2003
    jocop2003 Posts: 468 Member
    What is the Olivia Method?

The best is to search it on mfp, when I go on my laptop next time, I will post the link. It is away to figure out how much you should be eating in a day by what you weigh. And if you are active. For instance I have calculated that if I do nothing for exercise that day I should eat about 1350 calories, but if I am active can eat around 1550. Than my husband figured when I can eat back more calories depending how active I am. It works on a 500 calorie deficit. I am not really good with figuring out these things but the way people on here explain it makes sense and people have had success with it on mfp.
  • summerluno2
    What is the Olivia Method?

The best is to search it on mfp, when I go on my laptop next time, I will post the link. It is away to figure out how much you should be eating in a day by what you weigh. And if you are active. For instance I have calculated that if I do nothing for exercise that day I should eat about 1350 calories, but if I am active can eat around 1550. Than my husband figured when I can eat back more calories depending how active I am. It works on a 500 calorie deficit. I am not really good with figuring out these things but the way people on here explain it makes sense and people have had success with it on mfp.
  • summerluno2
    Please post Jo would love to read
  • merlynn
    merlynn Posts: 17 Member
    My name is Lynn, I'm 45 and live in Central Florida. I was always thin and active (runner) until about my mid-20's when I went back to college full time while working full time. My weight crept up over the years from long hours and poor food choices.

I've finally had some success this year with a supportive bf and a move to a warmer climate. I can run outside pretty much year round (if I get out there early enough) and it is much easier to be active with good weather all the time!
  • GKSTcoach
    GKSTcoach Posts: 81 Member
    Hi, I'm 41 (will be 42 by end of summer), and I've been heavy all my life. I don't have "baby weight" as I'm not a mom, but right now I look pregnant due to the weight I just gained. I'm pear-shaped, so I have a big butt and thighs, but I also have "swimmers' shoulders" due to swimming butterfly as a kid. I'm only 5'2"...and 252 lbs., so I'm out of proportion with myself. I am not looking to be a twig. I've never been one; I just want to be at a weight where I have the energy and stamina to do my job the way I want...low energy means zero patience. I'm just looking to break 200 lbs. (for now...we will see how I feel when I get there). Aside from a short time in 2006, I haven't been below 200 since I was in high school. I'm also changing habits for my health.

I'm an only child and just lost my mom the end of February, so I've been dealing with all that goes with the loss of a loved one and work stress (we lost dad 6 years ago). I also have winter depression, so summer is the time for me to get going on my exercise and eating habits and get them set as a routine before the snow flies in October (I live in the blustery state of ND).

I began MFP in August and had lost 40 pounds until my 17 pound backslide after my mom passed. I see a dietician when I can, and I'm starting anew with my goals as of June 1 (which happens to be right now).

I use South Beach as a food plan basis with some Special K shakes or Slim Fast meal bars tossed in when I'm on the go! My food downfalls are potatoes, monster cookies, and Dr. Pepper. My favorite foods to eat with the "good eating habits" are cereal and blackberries with yogurt instead of milk and a romaine lettuce "salad" that has granny smith apples, pecans, strawberries, Craisins, and cucumbers...no dressing needed as I put lemon juice on the apple bits to keep them from turning brown.

I used to try to stay at 1200 calories, but my dietician told me that 1200 was putting my body into starvation mode, so my daily net goal was between 1350 and 1600 and had been working pretty well. I will use that as my guideline until I see her again this month.

My family has a history of diabetes and kidney disease, so my diet consists of low sodium (I haven't added salt to a meal in years) and healthy carbs/fats/fiber/protein. I want to prolong the onset of these two diseases for as long as possible...my entire life if I can do it!

I lap swim and ride the Expresso bike for exercise, and I'm looking forward to losing weight with all of you! Let's have a great journey!
  • summerluno2
    Hi, I'm 41 (will be 42 by end of summer), and I've been heavy all my life. I don't have "baby weight" as I'm not a mom, but right now I look pregnant due to the weight I just gained. I'm pear-shaped, so I have a big butt and thighs, but I also have "swimmers' shoulders" due to swimming butterfly as a kid. I'm only 5'2"...and 252 lbs., so I'm out of proportion with myself. I am not looking to be a twig. I've never been one; I just want to be at a weight where I have the energy and stamina to do my job the way I want...low energy means zero patience. I'm just looking to break 200 lbs. (for now...we will see how I feel when I get there). Aside from a short time in 2006, I haven't been below 200 since I was in high school. I'm also changing habits for my health.

I'm an only child and just lost my mom the end of February, so I've been dealing with all that goes with the loss of a loved one and work stress (we lost dad 6 years ago). I also have winter depression, so summer is the time for me to get going on my exercise and eating habits and get them set as a routine before the snow flies in October (I live in the blustery state of ND).

I began MFP in August and had lost 40 pounds until my 17 pound backslide after my mom passed. I see a dietician when I can, and I'm starting anew with my goals as of June 1 (which happens to be right now).

Sorry for your loss. Glad you've started a journey to start moving forward. Great group here so welcome!