June Goals

Options

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Good advice above Varda! You definitely need to build a base first and that base should be all easy runs. Think of it like a pyramid. The base is all about building that aerobic engine. Further up the pyramid comes occasional faster runs where you are reaching the upper limit of your aerobic zone and touching into the anaerobic zone. The top of the pyramid is the speedwork like tempo runs, fartleks (giggle), and track intervals. These are about pure anaerobic training where you are teaching your muscles to use something else than oxygen.

Jenny's plans look OK at a quick glance. There are so many plans out there and pretty much every one will work if you stick with it. Just find something that works with your life and you will have success.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I finished c25k, but am so slow that 30 minutes isn't enough time to finish 5k. I'm almost finished with a timed version of c210k, but am no where near 10 k. I would like to add in 1-2 more days of running and switch one day to just increasing distance/time for my longer run. I'm also trying out run/walk intervals with a faster pace than my comfortable pace. I want to build up slowly to avoid injury.

This will be the month where I try to figure out a regular schedule that works for me and allows me to keep adding distance. I think I'm at 8-9 miles running now and would like to be at 12/week by the end of June. Any recommendations/suggestions welcome. I like having a plan to follow, so am a bit worried that I won't be doing this right on my own.

I've been running for 18 months and haven't broken through to a 30 minute 5k. You can run with me, sweetie. I think Becky did the Galloway plan, I used the Runner's World SmartCoach app - which I wouldn't really recommend knowing what I know now, and most people seem to lean toward Hal Higdon's plans.

I don't think the 10k+ apps on the NHS site are that effective, though they are fun.

I just ran a sub 30 5K in March, that is the only time I did it. And after I ended up with the onsets of an injury a month later because my ego got larger that a hot air balloon and I increased my distance too much in, lol. So don't worry about not doing it in 30 minutes....a lot of people do it in +30, and that is 100% fine.

I have been running a total of 17 months, and I have just gotten up to 25+ miles steady a week. I did a Galloway version when I started increasing my distance. I have sense then shifted to running all the way through, but I will still use walk breaks if the run is a bad one. I didn't have a 10K local...nor did I use a 10K app. I used this:

http://davidhays.net/running/buildingbase.html

I literally followed that pretty much 100%, 4 days a week, until my Half Marathon training started. And I actually continue to use that formula (my goal is to get my running to 30+ miles a week) when I am not training for a race.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I finished c25k, but am so slow that 30 minutes isn't enough time to finish 5k. I'm almost finished with a timed version of c210k, but am no where near 10 k. I would like to add in 1-2 more days of running and switch one day to just increasing distance/time for my longer run. I'm also trying out run/walk intervals with a faster pace than my comfortable pace. I want to build up slowly to avoid injury.

This will be the month where I try to figure out a regular schedule that works for me and allows me to keep adding distance. I think I'm at 8-9 miles running now and would like to be at 12/week by the end of June. Any recommendations/suggestions welcome. I like having a plan to follow, so am a bit worried that I won't be doing this right on my own.

I've been running for 18 months and haven't broken through to a 30 minute 5k. You can run with me, sweetie. I think Becky did the Galloway plan, I used the Runner's World SmartCoach app - which I wouldn't really recommend knowing what I know now, and most people seem to lean toward Hal Higdon's plans.

I don't think the 10k+ apps on the NHS site are that effective, though they are fun.

I just ran a sub 30 5K in March, that is the only time I did it. And after I ended up with the onsets of an injury a month later because my ego got larger that a hot air balloon and I increased my distance too much in, lol. So don't worry about not doing it in 30 minutes....a lot of people do it in +30, and that is 100% fine.

I have been running a total of 17 months, and I have just gotten up to 25+ miles steady a week. I did a Galloway version when I started increasing my distance. I have sense then shifted to running all the way through, but I will still use walk breaks if the run is a bad one. I didn't have a 10K local...nor did I use a 10K app. I used this:

http://davidhays.net/running/buildingbase.html

I literally followed that pretty much 100%, 4 days a week, until my Half Marathon training started. And I actually continue to use that formula (my goal is to get my running to 30+ miles a week) when I am not training for a race.

God, that's brilliant. And I'm increasing mileage too fast. Which I KNEW but didn't know how to moderate. Thanks!!!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Good advice above Varda! You definitely need to build a base first and that base should be all easy runs. Think of it like a pyramid. The base is all about building that aerobic engine. Further up the pyramid comes occasional faster runs where you are reaching the upper limit of your aerobic zone and touching into the anaerobic zone. The top of the pyramid is the speedwork like tempo runs, fartleks (giggle), and track intervals. These are about pure anaerobic training where you are teaching your muscles to use something else than oxygen.

Jenny's plans look OK at a quick glance. There are so many plans out there and pretty much every one will work if you stick with it. Just find something that works with your life and you will have success.

Yeah. Not-bad and free.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Either get my behind up early in the morning to run consistently or get to the Y in the A/C. My May goals fizzled due to the heat.

Run 4 times per week.
    Minimum one long run per week of at least 8 miles.
    Stretch and Strength train 1 time per week.
    Remain uninjured.

Going on Disney Dream on June 19: run the 5K on Castaway without dying (it will be HOT!)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    We did the Disney Dream last year - so much fun. The Aquaduck is amazing. And yes, I did the 5k in April and it sucked then.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    It's been mentioned in more than one comment and I can't decide which one to quote, so I'll just type a lonesome one instead. I got confused because Varda wrote 10K+ and supposedly NHS doesn't go farther than C25K+. I think they announced fairly recently that there won't be a bridge-to-10K podcast anymore, even though many have requested it. But you cleared it up so carry on, this was just a parenthesis.
  • AZ0310
    AZ0310 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the tips. I do want to focus on distance rather than speed for quite a while longer. Will the Galloway run/walk intervals for longer periods of time work for the long run in the beginning, or should I focus on increasing running time without the walk breaks. I like the simplicity of what's laid out on the David hays site, especially as I was hoping to run four days instead of three.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the tips. I do want to focus on distance rather than speed for quite a while longer. Will the Galloway run/walk intervals for longer periods of time work for the long run in the beginning, or should I focus on increasing running time without the walk breaks. I like the simplicity of what's laid out on the David hays site, especially as I was hoping to run four days instead of three.

I don't think it matters that much in the long run. Just depends on what you like better.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    It's been mentioned in more than one comment and I can't decide which one to quote, so I'll just type a lonesome one instead. I got confused because Varda wrote 10K+ and supposedly NHS doesn't go farther than C25K+. I think they announced fairly recently that there won't be a bridge-to-10K podcast anymore, even though many have requested it. But you cleared it up so carry on, this was just a parenthesis.

Oh, sorry. Was there ever a bridge to 10k podcast?

When I finished C25k, there was just the three audio fuel workouts on the NHS website.

We claimed squatters rights over this group which was nearly defunct, so we weren't scaring new runners with chafing/toenail stories or asking dumb questions in the Long Distance Runners group.
  • AlbionOakley
    AlbionOakley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have my first 5k first weekend in july (have done a 7 and a 10 before). I would like to be under 30min and my "pie in the sky" goal is under 29.

Just got back to it after a 2 week break for a holiday so I need to push on a bit.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Sub-22 5K
    120 miles for the month
    Don't get injured

After playing around with a race pace calculator (instead of doing pace math in my head!) I think the sub-22 5K is my stretch goal and sub-23 is my more realistic goal. Forgot that extra 0.1 adds nearly 45 seconds!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Sub-22 5K
    120 miles for the month
    Don't get injured

After playing around with a race pace calculator (instead of doing pace math in my head!) I think the sub-22 5K is my stretch goal and sub-23 is my more realistic goal. Forgot that extra 0.1 adds nearly 45 seconds!

I know, it totally screws with the math.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options

When I finished C25k, there was just the three audio fuel workouts on the NHS website.

We claimed squatters rights over this group which was nearly defunct, so we weren't scaring new runners with chafing/toenail stories or asking dumb questions in the Long Distance Runners group.
    My bad for saying "anymore". I meant that they first produced the 5K, then 5K+, and they will stop there, not go further.
  • likitisplit
    Options

My bad for saying "anymore". I meant that they first produced the 5K, then 5K+, and they will stop there, not go further.

Ok, ok. We're good :)
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Is this for June goals? *tongue in cheek*

Log everything everyday and be 85% green for calorie goals.
    200 miles running or rulking
    Start Stronglifts (AGAIN) as I have 27 whole days between my half marathon June 1st and the next one June 28th. I need to get my core stronger so I can lift my legs higher so I can actually run faster hopefully.
  • Rindy12
    Rindy12 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    1 - Stay injury free
    2 - 50 miles running
    3 - 60 miles biking (I don't have a real bike, so it's inside on a stationary bike for now.)
  • timeasterday
    Options
    It's the last day of June! I hope everyone did well on their goals!

Here's my update:

Sub-22 5K - Ran a 21:15 5K on June 7th.

120 miles for the month - Ran 145 miles for the month

Don't get injured - I was a little worried about this one for a while. My shins were hurting off and on most of the month and I even had to skip one run. It was either the buildup in mileage or shoe issues, or a combination of things. I also experimented with two different Superfeet inserts vs. no insert at all. I think the inserts in a mild stability shoe was too much support for me. But the inserts in a neutral shoe feels good. So now I make sure to run one or two shorter runs each week in a neutral shoe. Long runs need a touch of support but no insert.
  • pmur
    pmur Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Run a 10K(June 8th).
    Start serious strength training, no excuses.
    Start HM training(using Hal Higdon's novice 1 plan).
    Track food and eat enough protein.

I ran a 10K and did it in 73 mins.
    I did start strength training again but got derailed again due to summer break, ah well, adding it to july!
    Started HM training. At week 4.
    Trying to track food but protein intake has considerably improved. I can see an improvement in performance as well.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I came up short of my 300 mile goal, because I've been running more than cycling. This trend will continue for a while, planning to run a 5k and a 10k next month, then start training for a half.

I love that I have friends running with me now, even though their pace is a bit slower than I would run by myself.