How many bikes do you own?

Options

Replies

• pmr545
    pmr545 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have 2.... I ride my Scott Addict, Carbon and fast. My first bike was a Fuji Roubaix 2.0 which I now use on the trainer in the basement.
  • harksy
    harksy Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Three for me.

Winter Bike
    Giant TCR alliance 105 equipped composite

Sunday Best
    Scott Foil 15

Down and Dirty in the Dark nights
    Scott Aspect 29er

and then there was four!
    ebay cx bargain bought on a whim the big yins twin!

10336616_10204226409446196_9146081761717320864_n.jpg
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    Nice Bike Alan... I'm really happy with mine - for my own purposes it's ideal - not "full on race" cross geometry (the 56 which I've got is pretty much standard light touring road-bike angles and lengths - 56-square and 73 parallel and with fittings to attach guards if I want, and even a rear rack, it's a great solution for winter riding on the road, or even the odd short lightweight tour. Plus, for summer, I can take it offroad and explore all the bridleways, towpaths and sustrans routes that are just a little too hard on the roadbikes tyres but which aren't in any way "gnarly" enough to require the full blown MTB.

Took me a while to get the disc brakes dialed in to my liking, and they do squeal a little when they get used in the mud/muck/rain but they do stop really well.

It's an indication of how good the bike is, that this winter i did hardly any time on the indoor trainer - choosing to go out on the 'cross bike in whatever weather instead - it really is a good fun bike.
  • harksy
    Options
    Nice Bike Alan... I'm really happy with mine - for my own purposes it's ideal - not "full on race" cross geometry (the 56 which I've got is pretty much standard light touring road-bike angles and lengths - 56-square and 73 parallel and with fittings to attach guards if I want, and even a rear rack, it's a great solution for winter riding on the road, or even the odd short lightweight tour. Plus, for summer, I can take it offroad and explore all the bridleways, towpaths and sustrans routes that are just a little too hard on the roadbikes tyres but which aren't in any way "gnarly" enough to require the full blown MTB.

Took me a while to get the disc brakes dialed in to my liking, and they do squeal a little when they get used in the mud/muck/rain but they do stop really well.

It's an indication of how good the bike is, that this winter i did hardly any time on the indoor trainer - choosing to go out on the 'cross bike in whatever weather instead - it really is a good fun bike.

To be honest Mark I hadn't done any research into them as I hadn't been planning to make a purchase for another couple of months, when I seen this one come up I just snapped at it knowing that you would have done plenty ;)
  • Lukejacksmum
    Lukejacksmum Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    We have about 12 bikes in total(mostly my husbands!!) but I own 2, a Boardman Hybrid Pro(which I love for family rides with the kids) and my new Cannondale Caad 10 Ultegra :love: Just done my first sponsored ride toaday and loved it x Bike was fantastic :happy:
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Trek 660 - Dura Ace/Campagnolo Chorus Hubs
    Schwinn Prologue - Ultegra
    Specialized Stumpjumper Pro
    Orbit Track Bike
  • harksy
    Options
    And then there was 5

Scott Foil 15
    Giant TCR
    Scott Aspect 29er
    Caad X 105
    New addition - Felt B16 TT bike (Another wee fleabay pick up)
    _57.jpg
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    That looks fast, and a ball ache in crosswinds.... I've always had a soft spot for Time Trial irons though. Not sure if enjoy is quite the right word for a racing rig like that, but I'm sure the PB's will be coming thick and fast once you get it dialled in and you're used to the position on the bike...
  • rosewarrior_101
    rosewarrior_101 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have one, a trek JoeD24
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    One too few. :(
  • eaglelakebill
    eaglelakebill Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I had a 20" Redline when I was a kid!
    I rode that thing everywhere. The old man grew
    tired of my brother and I breaking the frames on
    Schwinns with all the jumping we did so he
    brought us to the closest LBS and purchased
    a Redline each for my brother and I.
  • CDGolden
    CDGolden Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    IMG_0148.jpg

There is a whole lot going on here....

1" front suspension fork? , V brake , bar end shifters (indexed?) , CX tires, curved seat tube...no seatpost showing , s riser stem , and a giant frame

I like it..
  • ihadabadidea
    ihadabadidea Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    IMG_0148.jpg

I just noticed the seat tube. Wasn't there a trend toward getting the wheelbase shortened as much as possible in the late 80s?
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Way before the '80s... Just google 'flying gate bikes' for a design from pre Ww2
  • edonald774
    edonald774 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    just the one - my trusty road bike which is my commuter horse
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I just noticed the seat tube. Wasn't there a trend toward getting the wheelbase shortened as much as possible in the late 80s?

Interesting. What is the advantage? My guess is better traction on climbs as the rider's weight is over the rear wheel more. More important for dirt/gravel than road though. It might handle cornering tighter and be a little more responsive?
  • GrindGravel
    GrindGravel Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The short wheelbase stuff in the ‘80’s usually revolved around racing Criteriums, which were very popular. Crit bikes usually had a short wheelbase, high BB, steep head tube. My old ‘86 Team Miyata which was more of an all around racer, but had some pretty aggressive geometry compared to my current Wilier (which has current "racing geometry").
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    mainly BITD with steel frames, it was to shorten the seatstays, and make the frame more responsive / less whippy... When you compare Steel chainstays to todays Massive square section Carbon fibre Boxes, you can see why.

Also, lots of the frames like that were time trial bikes and if you could tuck the back wheel under it'd be a bit more aero (for with disk wheels especially) and allow a shorter wheelbase while still maintaining a reasonable length of top tube.

I used to have a "funny bike" time trial machine that was something similar to this in frame appearance...

time_trial.jpg

(only in dark red metallic, and custom made by Harry Quinn cycles in Reynolds 531 and 753 - built up with a 700c Campag Ghibli disk wheel at the back and a 650c Shamal on the Front, Campag Record throughout, lovely it was...)

Strangely enough, the reason I mentioned "Flying Gates" ^^^up there, was that my Uncle used to have one - he was a bit older than my dad, and I seem to remember being told he spent his Demob Pay on buying it... One of the original Bill Baines ones, built just down the road from us in Bradford.

In case you're google-fu isn't up to it, this is what I mean by a Flying Gate

baines-hs3.jpg

(and a more modern one - albeit this being the new manufacturer...)

fg1.jpg
  • GrindGravel
    GrindGravel Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Those flying gate bikes are ridiculous, but dig the old TT bike. Back when I raced, I never actually saw one used, though I did see an occasional disc. My friends and I always dreamed how much faster we would be using one.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    well, put it this way, I quite regularly managed a sub 4h 100mile TT on mine - and that was without the Ghibli Disk in the Back - just a plain 700c Shamal - the disk was just too much of a handful for me on most of the TT courses for 100 milers or the 12 and 24h races.