Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

when and where is your next meet?

jlclabo
jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
when: Nov 15, 2014
where: Gatlinburg TN
Federation: Southern Powerlifting Federation
event: RecordBreakers
class: Raw/Masters 40-44
weight: not sure as of yet. would like to be in 242, but most likely 259 again
goals: 500+ squat/350 bench/500+ deadlift/minimum 1300 total

this will be my first meet ever using wraps and a belt. if they "help" like i keep reading, then the 500/500 shouldnt be an issue at all. im within a few lbs of both of those as of now with no wraps or belt.

whats everyone else got coming up next.

Replies

• Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    When: July 26th, 2014
    Where: Lancaster, PA
    Federation: RPS
    Event: PA State Championships
    Class: Open. A year until sub master status kicks in :laugh:
    Division: Raw Modern (Raw+knee sleves or wraps. If you just wear sleeves you can qualify for raw without wraps numbers for various things. I can't give up the rehbands!)
    Weight: On pace for 181
    Goals: Squat: 325, Bench: 145, Deadlift 375 super goal 405

I just finished my first cycle of 531 after switching from mad cow. I tested my 1rm before I started and had 315 squat, 145 bench, and 360 dead although I blew an attempt at 375 that I'm pretty sure I could have had. I thought my back was rounding really badly, and I value my discs so I put it back down. My gym friends said form looked great. Weird. I'm feeling confident I can hit modest PR's 3 cycles out from the testing. My spreadsheet says my DL is estimated at 386 now thus the "super goal" of 405. Plus I really want to have a 4 plate DL.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    when: Aug 16, 2014
    where: Bloomington, IL
    Federation: USPA
    event: Powerlifting
    class: Raw/Submaster 35-39
    weight: 181 class
    goals: to get my first meet "under my belt." And to not lose to a girl. Unless she's really strong and awesome. LOL
  • geek23ka
    geek23ka Posts: 38 Member
    when: Nov 2014
    where: Dallas, TX
    Federation: NASA
    event: SubMasters/Masters Nationals
    weight: i am hoping for 198. currently 222.
    goals: 240 squat/150 bench/350 deadlift are my goals.

my %^&^%^& squat is dirving me nuts. I am doing a ton of SBS and cambered bar squats as well as doing lots of core training (flipping tires throwing tires from side to side, ab rollouts) so i won't flippin lean forward when it gets the least bit "heavy"

bench is definitely do'able. deadlift is a good goal. i'm at about 310 now. it's exciting going into this meet. my first one was sort of a test to see how i do under pressure. thankfully, i didn't freak out. haha.
  • gweneddk
    gweneddk Posts: 183 Member
    When: June 8, 2014
    Where: Grand Rapids, MI
    APF Sr Nationals
    Wt: 165 so long as my cut goes well
    Goals: 265 sq/ 175 bench/315 DL

Those are all big PRs and chances are I might hit 1/3. Would love a 750 total.
    My main concern is that I tend to squat to just parallel, and you never know how the judging will go. I had been thinking of opening 235 but will most likely do 215 just to be safe.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    When: June 14th, 2014
    Where: Plano, TX
    APF Show of Strength
    Weight: Super Heavyweight 340lbs
    Goals: 600+ Squat, 400+ Bench, 700+ Deadlift, 1700+ Total

My squat has been awesome lately, my deadlift is alrightish (which is strange because it's usually my best lift). I'm not much of a bench presser though :/
  • Lofteren

this will be my first meet ever using wraps and a belt. if they "help" like i keep reading, then the 500/500 shouldnt be an issue at all. im within a few lbs of both of those as of now with no wraps or belt.

Psssh!!! "If they help" lol.

If 500/500 is within the realm of possibility without a belt and knee wraps then you'll smoke those numbers with them.
  • jlclabo

If 500/500 is within the realm of possibility without a belt and knee wraps then you'll smoke those numbers with them.

thats good to know. i used the wraps in training for the first time the other day just to see how they feel. i had already done my complete working sets of 2x8 @ 335 and 5x2 @ 385. wrapped up my knees and did 405 for a very easy double, then 455 for a solid atg single. i am positive with just warm ups and building with some heavy singles i could blow by 500 pretty solidly. ill know in a couple weeks when max effort week rolls around in my program.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    June 21 in Mississauga- Classic unequipped - belt/knee sleeves
    57 kg weight class
    squat - 110
    bench 57.5
    deadlift 140
    total 307.5 (678bls)
  • Lofteren

thats good to know. i used the wraps in training for the first time the other day just to see how they feel. i had already done my complete working sets of 2x8 @ 335 and 5x2 @ 385. wrapped up my knees and did 405 for a very easy double, then 455 for a solid atg single. i am positive with just warm ups and building with some heavy singles i could blow by 500 pretty solidly. ill know in a couple weeks when max effort week rolls around in my program.

Try letting your knees drift forward a bit more than usual in order to load them more. With a 455 ATG squat you could probably break 500 now if you were used to squatting in them and knew how to use them efficiently.
  • jlclabo
    got a little more time in with them yesterday. ended up with 455x3 for my final set. i have the video, ill have to see if i can get it on my youtube and link it. my son was giving me the up call, so i dont think i was going as deep as i needed though. i know i can get deeper with it and still triple it.
  • jlclabo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkdIOpJgkbc

here is the link to my 455x3. my son was calling up and was calling it a little too soon. first time he has give me up calls so he has a little more to learn.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Eastern USA Open 100% Raw Federation
    19 July
    Woodbridge, VA

198 lbs weight class, Masters 40-44
    Probably doing bench press only for this one. Should bench around 315 or more.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    when: 11 Oct 2014
    where: Lancaster, OH
    Federation: APA
    event: Ohio Open RAW Championships
    class: Raw/Masters 45-49
    weight: 198
    goals: 405 squat/ 265 bench/ 500 deadlift/ 1,170 total

Currently at 335/220 (paused) / 455 so I have some progress to make between now and Oct.

I am going to hit a local meet that is Bench/DL/Curl up just to get the adrenaline going.
  • coachbennettlhs
    coachbennettlhs Posts: 30 Member
    When: Oct 2014
    Where: Lakeland, FL
    Federation: WABDL
    Class: Submasters 33-39
    Weight: either 242 or 259
    Goals: 525 bench w/ shirt; 650 deadlift raw; 1175 total push/pull

I planned on doing a raw meet this summer but the date and venue changed so I will wait until October.