More on "Great Job" - in the real world!

Options

Replies

• TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options

I tend to think it is cool, like "wow, that fast guy thought enough to say something to a fellow runner."

i think this as well. ^^^
    ^^^ this, because everyone passes me.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Unique to any other community I've been a part of, one of the reasons I absolutely *love* running is because of how positive and supportive so many runners are. It is heartwarming that advanced runners are encouraging other runners.

There are many other sports out there where people discourage others because they are in fear of being beat by them one day. It's terrible to feel so threatened that they must put someone down in an effort to stay ahead. Not most runners though. They try to inspire others to reach their potential, even if that means they will "beat" them some day. How awesome is that?!

I think it's very positive and I hope no one ever thinks twice about trying to life someone up and give them encouragement. Sometimes people may take it wrong, but that's on them-- they are likely negative people anyway. The overwhelming amount of positive people will be uplifted, and that's what it's all about.

Definitely this. And I do find when I am running with the stroller I get a lot more of these, so I definitely take it as meant positively. I am sure there are some jerks out there, but I choose to take it positively. And if I don't - that's my issue; the person saying it is almost certainly trying to be nice.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    You must thank all the volunteers because without them there would be NO event. I see so many people who don't say anything to them. Augh! #raceemployeepetpeeve

Must? Seriously? If your out there for "thank you's", then you are out there for the wrong reason.

When I am racing and I don't say "thank you" when I grab a cup of water when I blow by you a mile 22 of a marathon, it's not because I'm a rude *kitten*, it's because it's everything I can do to keep running.

I lack of acknowledgement does not mean a lack of appreciation.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    You must thank all the volunteers because without them there would be NO event. I see so many people who don't say anything to them. Augh! #raceemployeepetpeeve

Must? Seriously? If your out there for "thank you's", then you are out there for the wrong reason.

When I am racing and I don't say "thank you" when I grab a cup of water when I blow by you a mile 22 of a marathon, it's not because I'm a rude *kitten*, it's because it's everything I can do to keep running.

^^^ I agree... I usually can't talk or say one word during or right after a race. I'm too busy giving 100% of what I have to give and feeling like I'm going to die.

I do appreciate what they are doing though, and I want to volunteer at a race this summer to give back what people are doing for me while I'm out there racing :)

ALSO, I train 2 times a week with a track & field club. 80% of the members are teenagers and I like to encourage them while I'm resting between my intervals. They also do the same thing when I am running even if I'm slower than 90% off them. I love the friendly and motivating atmosphere this create! Makes you feel like you are part of something.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    So the consensus seems to be that just about any encouragement, any time will be taken positively by most runners. Glad to hear my suspicions confirmed! I just need to come up with a few more synonyms for "good job" -- that gets old after a while!
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    If someone in the same races as me tells me good job as they pass me, uh no!! I know you're kicking my as$ don't need to run it in. Clearly not doing a good job. Haha.. But I don't really care. I always say "you too" if I can breathe.. I never tell people good job anymore after reading this runners world article.. Some old dude was bashing people who say "good job" while in a race. So I stopped saying it lol

Agreed!!
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options

I used to feel this way.. Recently, I started thanking or making funny comments to people at races.

Yes, you are paying for the race.
    Yes, these people are voulenteers

BUT- what I've realized is that it means a lot to them to be acknoledged... Especially by the front runners. These people literally get cups of water thrown back at them & yelled at by runners all day.

I like to make their day with a simple "thanks" or gun to the head motion. Or "boy it's lonely up here".. Or "this is gonna be a long day for you". They are probably bored as *kitten* standing there.

At any race where they offer water stops that I use (over 10k), I think I can muster up a few words no matter how crappy I feel
  • Sirinya55
    Sirinya55 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    this happened to me at my last HM. I was dying and this man passed me and said "Good job!"...Part of me thought, "Do i look that bad?" but he did give me a boost.
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    At my most recent race, I had the opposite experience. I thought I was feeling, doing, and looking great and then when we pulled into the next aid station, the couple I had been running behind asked me if I was ok because they said I wasn't "looking very good." ;) (They were right; I completely hit the wall in the next 10 miles...)

I'll take a "good job" any day. And if I can breathe, I'll give one.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    So the consensus seems to be that just about any encouragement, any time will be taken positively by most runners. Glad to hear my suspicions confirmed! I just need to come up with a few more synonyms for "good job" -- that gets old after a while!

"Hey! Is your car broke?"
    "Good joggin' there"
    "Are we there yet?"
    "Aren't you bored?"
    "How far is this marathon anyway?"
    "Don't worry, I'm sure they'll still have medals when you finish"
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

1964814_10152073148132312_1732393639017329264_n_zps795e6695.jpg

P5261262_zps704991ee.jpg
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I agree. It's nice to be thanked, and I thank everyone because I am not at that point yet, but I do get the "race mode" zone out as well.
  • Kristina2k
    Kristina2k Posts: 14
    Options
    Not everyone grows up to be an Astronaut. Not everyone can be the fastest at a race and not everyone will be the last to cross the proverbial finish line.

I guess since I don't consider myself an elite runner, I would never think that if someone said "Keep Up the Good Work" it was meant to belittle.

I suppose if I was competing at that stage I would but normally I'm "in the zone" and just trying to focus on getting my energy gel out without dropping it.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options

I used to feel this way.. Recently, I started thanking or making funny comments to people at races.

BUT- what I've realized is that it means a lot to them to be acknoledged... Especially by the front runners. These people literally get cups of water thrown back at them & yelled at by runners all day.

I like to make their day with a simple "thanks" or gun to the head motion. Or "boy it's lonely up here".. Or "this is gonna be a long day for you". They are probably bored as *kitten* standing there.

At any race where they offer water stops that I use (over 10k), I think I can muster up a few words no matter how crappy I feel

It's funny that my comment got a heated response. I apologize if the word "must" offended people. I personally feel compelled to thank as many volunteers as I can that I come across during an event. Not because when I volunteer I expect it but because I have run races that were poorly organized which almost always means they didn't have enough volunteers. The volunteers in my opinion are equally if not more important than the runners I don't care if you're an elite athlete or a walker. They are the reason that I am able to run and I think they deserve the thanks. Whatever that means to you. Smile, nod your head, wave and yes often times take a 2 second hit to the PR and say thank you sometimes.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

I was thinking thie same thing. I usually don't stop at the first set of aid stations in a race. At my half, the first one I stopped at was maybe mile 9. By then I was barely able to move my legs let alone say anthing. I will nod at these apeople in appreciation but that is all I can barely do.

HOWEVER, at the end, after I walked it out and I am grabbing my free banana and free chocolate milk, or free Dominos I will thank EVERYBODY. But by then, I can breath and talk again.
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    sort of off topic, but funny, because just today my sister and I had just finished our run over lunch. I can say it was a sweaty warm run. We were walking back to the gym and some random lady holding a phone to her ear and all dressed up walked passed us and looked right at us and said "Good job". I remember thinking for a second how random, but then it made me smile. I did do a Great Job I got off my *kitten* and went for a run over lunch :)
  • amandamurdaugh
    amandamurdaugh Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    In a trail race, everyone says good job or some form of encouragement when passing. In a road race, I always think it's funny when people say, "looking strong" when you know you're slogging along at a snails pace at the end of a marathon. But by and large, I think people are just being encouraging. And I appreciate it.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    It makes me sad that people take things said in what I assume to be an encouraging spirit, as belittling. I think that speaks more to their insecurity than the person doing the encouraging. Most the time that's simply what reactions are, right? Reflections of things we believe to be true?

I guess I'm one of those annoying runners who wants to wave or nod or at least acknowledge other runners that I pass, whether at home runnin' 'round the 'hood or when I'm traveling or at a race. I love the camaraderie of runners and it's one of the things I find most unique about the running community. There are so many times when a kind word from a stranger, when I'm struggling on a run, has lifted me and given me a second wind.

Recently, while I was in Las Vegas for work, I got some runs in early in the morning. One of those mornings, a total random (and adorable) guy who was running WAY WAY faster than me, came up from behind me, but slowed long enough to give me a little fist bump before taking off and blazing through the rest of his run. It made my day.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    It makes me sad that people take things said in what I assume to be an encouraging spirit, as belittling. I think that speaks more to their insecurity than the person doing the encouraging. Most the time that's simply what reactions are, right? Reflections of things we believe to be true?

I guess I'm one of those annoying runners who wants to wave or nod or at least acknowledge other runners that I pass, whether at home runnin' 'round the 'hood or when I'm traveling or at a race. I love the camaraderie of runners and it's one of the things I find most unique about the running community. There are so many times when a kind word from a stranger, when I'm struggling on a run, has lifted me and given me a second wind.

Recently, while I was in Las Vegas for work, I got some runs in early in the morning. One of those mornings, a total random (and adorable) guy who was running WAY WAY faster than me, came up from behind me, but slowed long enough to give me a little fist bump before taking off and blazing through the rest of his run. It made my day.

I would walk on air for the rest of the day, even though I know that it just means that the endorphins hit for him right there.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

It's funny that my comment got a heated response. I apologize if the word "must" offended people. I personally feel compelled to thank as many volunteers as I can that I come across during an event. Not because when I volunteer I expect it but because I have run races that were poorly organized which almost always means they didn't have enough volunteers. The volunteers in my opinion are equally if not more important than the runners I don't care if you're an elite athlete or a walker. They are the reason that I am able to run and I think they deserve the thanks. Whatever that means to you. Smile, nod your head, wave and yes often times take a 2 second hit to the PR and say thank you sometimes.

I beg your forgiveness. The tone of my comment was a bit harsh.