some thoughts on "it's just math"

Options
13»

Replies

• Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    What I find interesting:

The advice of someone who posts a shirtless selfie of his abs is given more credence that that of someone like Dr. Joel Fuhrman, Dr. Colin Campbell or Dr. John McDougall.

I remember a discussion when I suggested that a blueberry was better than a processed fruit pie, and someone triumphantly pointed out to me that a blueberry was comprised of chemicals as was a processed fruit pie.

It was at that point that I realized that if I engaged in these discussions, I was doing it just to procrastinate!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    What I find interesting:

The advice of someone who posts a shirtless selfie of his abs is given more credence that that of someone like Dr. Joel Fuhrman, Dr. Colin Campbell or Dr. John McDougall.

I remember a discussion when I suggested that a blueberry was better than a processed fruit pie, and someone triumphantly pointed out to me that a blueberry was comprised of chemicals as was a processed fruit pie.

It was at that point that I realized that if I engaged in these discussions, I was doing it just to procrastinate!
    Agreed, and lately when someone says they want to cut down on the "chemicals" in their food, (which is, admittedly, an odd way to phrase it) folks come back with a picture of an apple, or cauliflower and a list of the chemicals in it. I've never understood intentional, mocking obtusity. :smile:
  • Bernadette60614
    Options
    My theory (and this applies to politics and so many other areas of life): People believe what they need to believe.

If I believe that I can' t live without processed foods, I'll find a way to justify processed foods.

If I believe that Ph.ds in nutrition know nothing, then I can continue to eat processed foods so long as I "eat at a deficit."

Throw in our biological drive to find certain tastes more appealing, the food industry's mastery of engineering foods so we crave more, the abundance of cheap, low nutrient food and if you believe that you need to eat unprocessed foods with high nutrient content, you're a crazy.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    My theory (and this applies to politics and so many other areas of life): People believe what they need to believe.

If I believe that I can' t live without processed foods, I'll find a way to justify processed foods.

If I believe that Ph.ds in nutrition know nothing, then I can continue to eat processed foods so long as I "eat at a deficit."

Throw in our biological drive to find certain tastes more appealing, the food industry's mastery of engineering foods so we crave more, the abundance of cheap, low nutrient food and if you believe that you need to eat unprocessed foods with high nutrient content, you're a crazy.
    I do wonder if for some, the idea of nutrition, fueling your body, using/avoiding food to alleviate symptoms is a notion that comes with age. It did for me. When I was in my 20s I would have chosen the crappiest, but tastiest "food" possible to maintain my weight. Now I try to build the most nutritious (and tasty) diet possible. Wish I'd started much younger, but I was raised on lunches of twinkles, coke, and wonder bread bologna sandwiches. Breakfast and dinner were no better.

Simple math works for them, therefore "it works". The idea that others need to, and/or want to do things differently seems bizarre to many of them.
  • Bernadette60614
    Options
    Is getting old grand!

No, seriously!

Experience, perspective, and judgment.

Also, as the motto on my profile indicates, I'm a firm believer that learning comes from failure..and by this stage of my life, I've learned from Weight Watchers, Atkins, Stillman, Jenny Craig and so many others.

And, here comes my hostile self: Only one in 6 people keep their weight off (the New York Times did an article recently, which I think someone may have linked somewhere....). I'm going to bet that a fair percentage of the people here who blast others as having no self-discipline, not wanting enough, not taking personal responsibility will regain their weight. I certainly don't gloat in that or wish for it, but that is just the reality.

In the meantime, they are here to pound as many people as possible on their struggles. Or, to rip apart people who advocate eating unprocessed foods.
  • kdkyzer
    kdkyzer Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I kinda always thought that it was "just math"..."calories in vs. calories out"...UNTIL I hit 55 and am now post menopausal. I eat well, and exercise daily, and have done so for many years. But my body wants to be much rounder and softer than it was even 5 years ago. Keeping weight off, and keeping 'things' from be coming saggy and flabby gets harder every day. My goal is to accept that my body is changing while I strive to stay fit...but the trick is to not become frustrated and then just say..."to hell with it...I'm old and I'll never be a bikini model, so I think I'll have a six pack of donuts for breakfast."

Math indeed. This just proves a woman's body is a force to be reckoned with...our bodies defy the logic of math!