Running in Cold Weather

Options
124»

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    It's that time again. Time to dust off the sweats and ear muffs and hit the snow running, literally. Here are some tips for staying warm, in every degree of weather.

The one thing that will apply throughout both winter and summer, dress for 10 degrees warmer than it is. So if it is 50 outside, dress for 60. If it is 30 outside, dress for 40. If it is -50 outside, then run on a treadmill.

So here we go, head to toe:

Head:

The big thing here is going to be keeping your ears warm, so a head band that covers your ears or ear muffs will be a big help. You can do beany caps as well. If the weather is more on the freezing side, consider a full face balaclava or ski mask to keep not only your face warm, but warm the air you breath as well. Believe it or not, the freezing air can (if too cold) could cause crystals to form on your lungs, which could lead to pneumonia.

Arms and Chest:

For the southern states, simple long sleeve technicals or a light sweater might keep you perfect during your runs. In the northern states arm warmers, gloves, pocket hand warmers, all these things will be good investments. Do you have old tube socks? Cut the feet out and make arm warmers. The big thing is going to be to layer. Don't go out with a huge over sized coat and a technical tee underneth. Think long sleeve shirt, arm warmers, gloves, etc.... Remember, layers!

For those with a race coming up, invest in a "throw away" sweater. Just go get one of the ugly christmas sweaters from Goodwill. Then ditch it on to the side when the race starts. Most races will donate the spent sweaters and unwanted outter garments to the homeless shelters in the area.

Legs:

Again, think layers. Invest in some winter compression tights. They can be on the more expensive side, I got some for $50-60 at a sporting good store. But you can sometimes find these on sale at the bargin stores like TJ Maxx or Marshall's. They are great buys! And for the ladies, if you are worried about how your thighs or butt look in them, just put a pair of gym shorts on over top.

Feet:

Winter running socks! NO COTTON! If it is snowy outside, consider water resisting your running shoes with some hiking boot spray. It won't make them waterproof, but will help with snow seepage.
  • dlcoaching
    dlcoaching Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I live in Montreal, in Canada.

These days I run in -11F (or as we say here, -22C). I put on lots of layers ! 3 pairs of socks in my running shoes, 3 pairs of leggins and 4 layers for the top; 2 scarfs, a pilot-style hat; gloves inside my mittens. Add in my earphones for good music and the run feels fine.
  • Sergette1
    Sergette1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I just LOVE running in cold weather!!!

Even though I do not have asthma I have to use Aerolin (inhaler) before running in cold weather
  • Christi102012
    Christi102012 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    mom2tek wrote: »
    My biggest thing is running in the dark. I get home from work and it's dark out and I don't like to go out then. I can layer for cold and not a problem. I want to try this program but the lack of light is an issue for me. Any suggestions? What is everyone else doing?

I saw a guy running recently with this on. His actual running clothes were a bit dark but the vest made him very visible. I might get one if I end up running closer to sunset.

• pmur
    pmur Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this! It's my first winter out and about and I need clothes help. The RW what to wear link really helped.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    i have to deal with trying to run from -20F up to 100+F

I suspect that is gonna be me! I'm in MN and we get to -20 and over 100 in the summer.

I wanna do the Polar Dash where it WILL be - a million, and the Women Rock, which will probably be close to 100

Maybe I should move?
  • jannthompson
    jannthompson Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this topic! This is my first winter running, really useful information.
  • superraachel
    superraachel Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Today was my first ever attempt at running in the cold. It's 29F here, with a little snow on the ground. I wore: knit hat, tech tank, tech long sleeve, light fleece zip up, fleece gloves, compression pants, tech socks, normal running shoes. I was a little chilly to start, but 1/4 way through I was fine, temperature wise. My issue is this: I felt heavy. Between sweaty fleece gloves that I took off for the last 10 minutes, and feeling like my jacket weighed 20 lbs at the 1/2 way point, it did not add up for a great run. Is this just something you get used to as a runner? Maybe I'll be faster in the summer once I can be back in shorts and tanks ;) Any tips on light weight cold weather running gear?
  • BRich_15
    BRich_15 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Got my light jacket today can't wait to get out in it tomorrow. Around 5oC here but the freezing weather is on the way so base layers under it next week I think.
  • BRich_15
    BRich_15 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    oh, thanks for the info.
  • sethanddomsmom
    sethanddomsmom Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I run in north/central Canada. My cut off to run outside is -15 C (have no idea what that is in F), but it is cold. I wear wool base pants and top, with a wicking running sweater, heavy fleeced running pants, another fleece sweater, my reflective running jacket, my ski face mask (head and face and forehead, only see the eyes) and my ski gloves. Half way through I start dumping my face mask sometimes or pulling it down, and ditching the gloves, but for the most part I am freezing when I start and toasty with some cold spots (front of thighs and upper arms and butt) when I get home. I only run for 40 mins top in this weather. Otherwise I don't run, or run inside on a track at that gym, but I am truly one of those silly people who LIKES to run in the cold (and the dark - my favourite) at 6 am. Never really enjoy a run at any other time.

I have completed the C5K app twice before and it works, and used the ease into 10 K to run a 10 K last summer, but always fall off the wagon and start again from week 2 or 3...
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Wind chill should also be factored in (looking at the picture above). What seems like fine "light" weather to run in could be a catastrophy if enough layers aren't worn when there is a fresh wind.

I'm also cold in general with short and short-sleeved t-shirt being nowhere near enough at above 10 deg C.

And it depends on garments one has, too. My jacket has quite a wide neck, so I definitely would need a scarf or such already at higher temperature than suggested.

I need taller, warmer socks. Yay gear shopping!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The Cold Weather Layering guide is a good starting point. We will all need to adjust the temperature ranges based on individual preference. What is listed as <20F / -6c is what I wear at -15 to - 20C.
    I have a hot body and legs but one cold hand due to a mis-adventure when I was 14. So I wear a Full Mitt on one hand and just a lightly lined glove on the other hand. For socks in winter I use what are sold as Smart Wool - Knee High Alpine Skiing socks - they provide extra warmth to my calf muscles.
  • victorprocure
    victorprocure Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have some MEC base layers for skiing that I will wear running. I also use a UA ColdGear ninja mask thing that i bought a few years back. I have a light down jacket that is plenty warm once I start sweating a bit. This has served me well from -30s to +5 Celsius.
  • paronan
    paronan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Be aware of cold-induced asthma, also known as "exercise-induced asthma" because when you exercise in the cold, you breathe thru your mouth. If you're just walking outside you close your mouth and breathe thru your nose, which warms the air before it hits your lungs. Running in the cold pulls cold air directly into your lungs. Even people who don't have regular "asthma" can suffer lung inflammation and bronchospasms (cough) after running in the cold. I take 2 puffs from an inhaler (ask your doctor), before every cold-weather run. Before I started doing this, my lungs felt chronically damaged all winter. Now it's fine. (And I'm totally fine without puffing once it's above 55 degrees.)