Why?

Options
Nutmeg76
Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
Please remind me that going out into the main firums is assinine. Thank you.

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Yup, a friend posted out there yesterday and I thought I was commenting here and I got flamed/ridiculed by the same person who always comes after me out there… but that's not harassment at all. The same guy has harassed other people enough that they have left MFP. He has no experience with obesity, or other metabolic disorders but is there to jump all over those of us who do, because real life experience is invalid next to his cherry picked "science". But is views are in-line with MFP that the only answer to everything is "calories in/calories out" and the fact that he stalks and ridicules people with different opinions is no problem in the opinion of the moderators.

Asinine and futile. Don't go there!
  • ortega1990
    ortega1990 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Agreed.... I can only take in tiny doses before I can't stand it. It's just such a hostile environment.
  • Nutmeg76
    Options
    I bet it was the same person. He even admitted in the thread that he likes to "troll the paleo threads". That's counter productive to the MFP mentality of support!
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Oh I'm so thankful I just found this group. It's like a weight lifted! I feel like an outcast 3rd grader on the main forum. I never ask questions because I know the thread will take an ugly turn.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    +1

It's like swimming with jellyfish.

It's funny that everyone that I've met through this group is pretty nice, even if we don't eat EXACTLY the same, there's like a friendly *get healthy* consensus and a respectable exchange of opinions.

:drinker:
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I reported one of the guys in that thread, then sent a private message to the OP. I try not to participate in Paleo threads on the main forums, if for no other reason than that I can't "unfollow" them, so they stick to the top of my "My Topics" list for freakin' ever until they finally roll.
    Oh I'm so thankful I just found this group. It's like a weight lifted! I feel like an outcast 3rd grader on the main forum. I never ask questions because I know the thread will take an ugly turn.

Yeah, the main forums have gotten horrible, especially to Paleo folk. I'm probably going to start and keep reporting some of the worst offenders until MFP decides to do something about it.

What saddens me is the double-standards those people have. Not only do the vegans not get nearly the vitriol we get, but the people being the worst always tout "there's not need to do X unless you have a medical condition," yet they still attack the people who start with "my doctor recommended I do X."

(On a side note, I have to really crack up at the people who are like "I tried Paleo, but I got bored with the lack of selection." It takes almost everything in me to keep from telling them that if they're getting bored, then they're doing it wrong! :laugh: )
  • Nutmeg76
    Options
    Totally! If you are bored on paleo it is because you are lazy...too lazy to google, too lazy to cook...too lazy to live. Basically, I feel that those peopel are really saying they got tired of needing to think about thier food and ende dup in a rut, then they couldn't just order a pizza or something so they gave up. I'm not going to lie, I miss the conveience (sp?) of "normal eating" but it just isn't worth it. We are not super strict all the time so recently i had some regular pizza. I learned that pizza from Papa John's and Domino's gives me palpitations, so no more for me thanks! Just not wroth it anymore.

I may just start sending a PM to people that are really curious and have questions so I don't get sucked into the ridiculous discussions.
  • Thorbjornn
    Thorbjornn Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    If you really want to see the fur fly, say "gluten intolerance" on the main forums. It's like the old skit 'Niagara'... "slowly I turned, step by step, inch by inch... " :bigsmile:
  • Nutmeg76
    Options
    If you really want to see the fur fly, say "gluten intolerance" on the main forums. It's like the old skit 'Niagara'... "slowly I turned, step by step, inch by inch... " :bigsmile:

Bahahahaha!

My son has non-celiac gluten intolerance. If anyone wants to question that they can come and visit, feed him crap for two days and then deal with his vomit and diarhea....yeah, it's that fun.

I know for my gluten free was key, because of my thyroid condition.
  • EverythingNicki
    Options
    I quickly learned that there is no place for me outside of a paleo forum as well (unless I lie or become mute). The saying to each their own is lost to all. I even quit logging my food diary (which I was only doing for my own info) as I was tired of the "hateful" opinions of others about what I do or do not put into my body....even though I think my body speaks loudly for itself on the healthiness of it all. I have had people say that I am actually abusing my children because of our paleo lifestyle as they send their kiddies off to school with soda and Twinkies....smh....I have a gluten intolerance and two others in my family have dairy intolerance and it goes way beyond gas and bloating when we accidentally eat something, but hey what would I know about my own body....smh
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    I'm really tired of hearing, "I lost weight on pizza and burgers!" Arghhh, just come back to the light!
  • chljlleal
    chljlleal Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    While we are on the "why?" subject, I have always wondered why vegan diets are perfectly acceptable but paleo/primal ones aren't!

I mean we omit grains (but not all carbs) they omit (all) animal products and no-one tells them off!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Thanks for all the great posts above. Almost made me cry.

I agree with Nutmeg that most people who "tried" Paleo and found it too "hard" are usually just lazy and gave up far too quickly. Yes, it takes some thought, effort, and for some of us, learning new skills. However, our ancestors spent most of their lives focused on getting and preparing food. It's normal! Working in office jobs, commuting, then plopping our butts in front of the television (to watch cooking shows!) is NOT normal. Maybe that's the new normal, but eating healthy food or not is still a matter of CHOICE.

Paleo can be as easy or complicated as one chooses. My favourite meal above all is rare steak, fried mushrooms, and tossed salad. Hard or time consuming to make? Not.

I'm so sick of the mental disconnect that food quality can possibly affect health. It's just so damn illogical.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    While we are on the "why?" subject, I have always wondered why vegan diets are perfectly acceptable but paleo/primal ones aren't!

I mean we omit grains (but not all carbs) they omit (all) animal products and no-one tells them off!

Not to defend vegans, but they do get ridiculed too. Unfortunately, they also don't know the difference between ridicule and a valid argument so I don't dare post on any topics to do with vegan diets (even though I'm trying to save lives!). I've been reported and reprimanded for comments that in NO way violate site rules, but whatever.

However, the moderators here don't tolerate any nonsense in the vegan threads (and I'm pretty sure many vegans are trigger happy with the "report" button) like they do in Paleo topics. Paleo bashing is completely acceptable for some reason.
  • Thorbjornn
    Options

Bahahahaha!

My son has non-celiac gluten intolerance. If anyone wants to question that they can come and visit, feed him crap for two days and then deal with his vomit and diarhea....yeah, it's that fun.

I know for my gluten free was key, because of my thyroid condition.

I hear you. I'm sorry he has to go through that. I'm not celiac, the blood test turned up negative, but it doesn't mean gluten doesn't affect us. I've listened to more than a few people dismiss it as the malady-du-jour. Wait until something hits them, not that I wish it.

Btw, someone else, sympathetic to it said to consider genetic and migratory origins of our (personal) ancestors. My family was from Sicily and southern Italy, but given our appearance, we probably originated in northern Europe where (drumroll please)... grains were not typically grown. We may never have developed the ability to handle them. I am very tempted to do one of those DNA analyses.
  • chljlleal
    chljlleal Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great posts above. Almost made me cry.

I agree with Nutmeg that most people who "tried" Paleo and found it too "hard" are usually just lazy and gave up far too quickly. Yes, it takes some thought, effort, and for some of us, learning new skills. However, our ancestors spent most of their lives focused on getting and preparing food. It's normal! Working in office jobs, commuting, then plopping our butts in front of the television (to watch cooking shows!) is NOT normal. Maybe that's the new normal, but eating healthy food or not is still a matter of CHOICE.

Paleo can be as easy or complicated as one chooses. My favourite meal above all is rare steak, fried mushrooms, and tossed salad. Hard or time consuming to make? Not.

I'm so sick of the mental disconnect that food quality can possibly affect health. It's just so damn illogical.

^^^^Yes yes yes!!!!!!

What good in life doesn't need some effort?
  • Thorbjornn
    Options

Not to defend vegans, but they do get ridiculed too. Unfortunately, they also don't know the difference between ridicule and a valid argument so I don't dare post on any topics to do with vegan diets (even though I'm trying to save lives!). I've been reported and reprimanded for comments that in NO way violate site rules, but whatever.

However, the moderators here don't tolerate any nonsense in the vegan threads (and I'm pretty sure many vegans are trigger happy with the "report" button) like they do in Paleo topics. Paleo bashing is completely acceptable for some reason.

I think the thinking is that it's OK to bash folks on either end of the dietary spectrum, because the majority are in the middle. I tried vegetarian (lacto-ovo) a few times, but it doesn't work for me. However, for someone it does work for, all the best to them.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

From what I've seen, it's far less rampant against the vegans than it is against the Paleos. I've seen more than a few "hey, I'm vegan and looking for vegan friends!" type of posts that go completely untouched by the trolls, but do the same with Paleo and for every "hey, I'm Paleo, too!" there's a page's worth of trolling.

It's a completely different matter when someone makes the claim that vegan is inherently healthier or that everyone should be vegan or whatever. Those deserve it, though, as even most sane vegans will tell you that it's not inherently healthier and making it healthy takes a lot of work (but they don't do it for the health).

I think that's what also contributes to the differences between the vegan threads and the paleo threads -- you can't really argue against ethical decisions (regardless of how misguided they may be). It's a lot easier to rail against something that claims scientific backing, since there's a study out there to support every viewpoint.

It also doesn't help that Paleo's focus is on health and it gets results (if for no other reason than because it focuses on high quality, whole foods). I think most people here have to admit that if they told their pre-Paleo selves that their laundry list of ailments that had been repeatedly dismissed by doctors for one reason or another would be cured or at least put into heavy remission solely by following the principles of a particular diet, it would sound too good to be true (and "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is"), and far-fetched, at best. The insane-sounding results, combined with the fact that said results aren't totally unique to Paleo (just about any whole foods based diet, including vegetarianism and a whole-foods approach to IIFYM can make largely the same health improvement claims, because it's the whole foods that contribute largely to it, everything else is just implementation details), doesn't help matters.

One of the things that bugs me, too, is the idea that the only way to achieve a caloric deficit is to count calories. I don't think most people argue that you have to input less energy than you output to lose weight, but the general forums don't seem to get that you don't have to count calories in order to achieve that. Then, of course, there's the whole double-standard that Paleo is "extreme," "unsustainable," "leads to eating disorders," and whatever, but weighing every morsel you put into your mouth and obsessively logging every single thing is healthy for everyone.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    @Dragonwolf. Completely agreed!
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    This is definitely my favorite place to be on MFP. <3