Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I jump in the pool before and after
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I've started putting a sprinkler out and doing a one mile loop through my neighborhood.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I've started putting a sprinkler out and doing a one mile loop through my neighborhood.

LOL. Sometimes when running and it's getting warm, I'm grateful when I pass a home where their sprinklers near the sidewalk are on at that moment.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options

LOL. Sometimes when running and it's getting warm, I'm grateful when I pass a home where their sprinklers near the sidewalk are on at that moment.

I have soo done this.

It looks more strange when you are running through a business' sprinklers though.
  • Lard_Vader
    Lard_Vader Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I run in the Louisiana swamp--high temps & near 100% humidity daily. I am currently running 50ish miles per week in anticipation of training for a 50-mile ultra in Nov. To tell the truth, I dread training in this weather over summer than the actual race (which will be in Nashville).

As others said, it's all about acclimating yourself to the conditions. At this point if someone was just starting I would probably advise them not too (it's really hot here and I think the adjustment curve would be too risky). However, a few tricks to the conditions I've been using: 1) Run EARLY--I'm out at 4am most mornings, 2) Run with FUEL--gels, water, electrolytes I use a CamelBak with a 1.5 liter bladder (which is good for about 10 miles before I need to refill it), 3) DIET--probably the most important factor, you have to eat right plain & simple, I'm plant based and I eat TONS of fruit, 4) Run with walking breaks, I've been doing this recently on my 20-mile runs (like a short walk every 5 or a short break when I refill at halfway) helps out a lot, 5) take advantage of the days that might be slightly cooler, it rained here last night so the temp was 72°F and felt slightly cooler than 81°F on Tuesday (still 100% humidity though) AND of course on the days that are hotter don't push it as your body has to work harder to maintain as it is.

Lastly, I document my fluid & food intake on all my runs/rides on Strava and here. I find it helpful to look back on for future planning. Especially when I'll be hitting 30+ miles for my long run come September.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I've been running early in the morning for our hot+humid days here in Iowa. But I think this weekend I might try running in the evening/twilight for my long run, because the a.m. humidity makes me totally miserable (it's normally only 65-70 degrees when I go out at 6 am, but 95-100% humidity, and my lungs just can't figure it out). However, I can handle the less humid version of the heat in the evening if I can get under some shade. I'd recommend finding some shaded paths, finding a time of day that works best for you (I always run better later since I've had all day to hydrate), and just keep going! Don't be discouraged by slow times or tough runs! That's part of summer running, and come fall, you'll be a total badas$.
  • legallyblonde916
    legallyblonde916 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I crazy hydrate the day before, take breaks under shade, and most importantly... slow down!
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I run in the heat and humidity of Mississippi day in and day out. Like Carson said, it takes a few weeks to acclimate to the weather but it is very do-able. Stay with it. Take water/Gatorade with you. I am training for a 50K in weather you just described. It CAN be done. Hang in there!

What Carson said and this ^^. I am also marathon/ultra training during this (Huntsville, AL). Normally, I start running by 0400 -- and the humidity is still extremely high. I also do afternoon runs during the week and at at least one long run on the weekend during the hottest part of the day to keep acclimated. Your body will adjust.

I would highly recommend:
    Insulated Nathan or CamelBak water bottles
    Sip water at least once per mile whether your thirsty or not (unless you are about to start your finishing kick).
    ** Depending on how long you run, designate drop points on your route and stash frozen/almost frozen bottles of water
    -- or set up an aid station by your home and loop by every so often for water/gels/chews.
    The more your clothes wick moisture, the better

Good luck and happy running!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Trails. Get under some trees. It makes all the difference.

Since you have an irrational fear of running in the dark, I second this.

safety first, not irrational fear

Get some lights.

not fall to the ground safety, like getting mugged safety
    unless you feel like running beside me and being my body guard :)

I run in Memphis at night and early morning. If I can feel safe running at night in a city with the highest crime rate in the nation then anyone can.

ETA: If you are that worried about it though, talk to one of the Miami running clubs or groups. I am sure you will probably find someone near you to meet up with that early in the morning.

Kudos to you!!! I will choose to play it safe and run in the daylight.

seriously, why would you encourage a woman to put herself in what she feels is an unsafe situation?

OP: if your a dog person get a 4 legged running buddy, mine watches my back for me ;)
  • izerop
    izerop Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I carry a water bottle with anything over 3 miles. Beat the heat, beat the cramps with water. Anything over 6 miles camelback was with me. Works good for me. I have a Nike hand water bottle for those shorter runs... works great, also carried Mace for the dogs, have used it a couple times.

Whoo! good luck.
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Tampa was incredibly hot today. 7am and it was already 82 degrees and close to 95% humidity depending on which service you believe. I immediately gave up on the thought of a tempo run, but did manage to get 6.5 miles in with only one short water break at around 29 minutes. i was surprised at my pace (around 7:47 for most of it) but I was absolutely suffering at the end but I did get through it and since I had the day off was able to get a bunch of things done so its been a good day.

Everyone has already said the right things..shade, stay hydrated, slow the pace and I would say absolutely wear the lightest clothing you have and avoid those darker colors. Also, get rid of the hats unless they are totally vented. I always shake my head when I see people running with baseball hats on. Crazy and dangerous. Guys, wearing those long basketball shorts close to your knees is not smart either. And ladies, you may want to rethink those black yoga pants that go below your knees. There is a time and a place and when it is over 80 degrees, you put that stuff in the closet.

Finally, and this was something I discovered today after 27+ years. My 12 oz Pegasus weighed 16.5 ounces at the end. Ouch. I didn't bother to see how much my soaked baelga's weighed either, but I am guessing that I was carrying 30% more weight on my feet at the end than the start. I am probably going to switch shoes mid run going forward and see if that helps.
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Theres a great article by Pam Smith, who won the western states 100 last year in record heat: http://www.irunfar.com/2013/08/how-the-western-was-won.html. It covers heat training/management (plus everything from nutrition, training volume, and mental outlook.) I'm running 100miles in August in Ohio. It's going to be hot and humid. I for one will DEFINITELY be wearing a headsweats white running cap. The visor will keep sun off my face, and I can put ice under the cap at aid stations. And ice in my bra, down my pants, and in my pack. Unfortunately I will be wearing 3/4 compression tights that go below my knees, and they only come in black (why they don't make them in a light color, I have no idea.) Best I can do is get cw-x "ventilator" that has holes in the quad area. But after a 22 mile run yesterday in a light colored running skirt with no compression other than my calf sleeves, you bet today I'm wearing my compression tights for my 20miler. That was my last comparison test, and I have to weigh heat vs. keeping my legs fresh, relatively speaking. Maybe after a few more years running I will be able to be happy running long in just shorts. Oh, and cover those shoulders! It makes a huge difference. After my run today, I'm headed to washington sports club to get my 1month membership so I can start sauna training. Maybe I'll even wear the black compression tights in the sauna.... ;)