Calories burnt swimming freestyle

Options
electriq
electriq Posts: 359 Member
Hi folks,

I'm having a bit of trouble accurately estimating the calories I burn when swimming. I recently bought a heart rate monitor for running, which I tend to do more than swimming, and its great! However its made me re-evaluate the mfp predictions of how many calories I burn during a swim.

The main reason being is that mfp predicts that I burn 634 cal for a 60 minute swim (slow to medium pace), while I know from my heart rate monitor that I burn on average around 773 cal/60 minute run. From what I read I thought that running burns a lot more than swimming and 140 calls doesn't seem a huge difference to me so I'm thinking that mfp is over-estimating my burn.

My heart rate monitor can be worn underwater but the product info says its unreliable to measure accurate heart rate for swimming due to underwater interference and I'm not quite ready to invest in a new product at this stage.

I'm wondering what other people's experience has been in terms of how accurate mfp is for swimming. Especially anyone who wears a swim heart rate monitor.

In case anyone has similar stats to me, I am 90.5kg (199 lbs), 172cm tall, I run between a 11.5 and 12 minute mile, and I swim 2500 in 60 minutes (just freestyle) - this is with about a 30 second rest every 500 meters. I would say that my effort is medium most of the time for both sports although I do like to push it for some lengths.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

:-)

Replies

• Ms_J1
    Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    The problem with MFPs calorie tracker for calories burned during an exercise is that it doesn't take into account a persons weight and it's way too general when taking into account the amount of effort used during exercises. One person's sprint may be someone else's light swim.

Swimmingcalculator.com is better at determining calories burned because it takes into account your weight as well as your pace, distance, and which stroke you swim.

And according to swimmingcalculator.com, you burned 776 calories by swimming 2500 of freestyle in one hour so the calculator is comparable to your heart rate monitor.
  • conniekat8
    conniekat8 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    The problem with MFPs calorie tracker for calories burned during an exercise is that it doesn't take into account a persons weight and it's way too general when taking into account the amount of effort used during exercises. One person's sprint may be someone else's light swim.

Swimmingcalculator.com is better at determining calories burned because it takes into account your weight as well as your pace, distance, and which stroke you swim.

And according to swimmingcalculator.com, you burned 776 calories by swimming 2500 of freestyle in one hour so the calculator is comparable to your heart rate monitor.

Yep Yep, I was just about to say the same thing, but MS_J1 said it better :)
  • electriq
    Options
    Thanks a lot for the response and for the info about swimming calculator.com

I'm still quite surprised to hear that I burn about the same swimming as I do running as all my preconceptions as well as research says otherwise. Perhaps I am just putting in more effort while swimming which is quite possible, I'm a lot more gentle on myself running as I'm all too aware that when going for endurance running its very easy to injure oneself when pushing to hard.

Thanks a bunch!
  • conniekat8
    conniekat8 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You can easily use more muscles swimming then running, and you can use a lot of big muscles too, actually, you pretty much use all your muscles if you are doing it right (arms, legs, back, abs, neck, core). The other thick is how hard you are working, in running usually calories equal distance covered.

In swimming it's more related to how hard you are pushing and how efficient (or inefficient) you are. Kind of like working with rubber bands and other progressive resistance training, the harder you push the medium, the more you burn, even if you are not moving fast in a particular direction. Every movement in water meets with some sort of resistance, up, down sideways

Also, swimming tends to lower your body temperature a tad (even in 80F+ water, its cooler then your body) and contact with water zaps heat out of your body much faster then air, so your body will work harder to stay warm, even when sprinting.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options

^This. I was surprised that swimmingclculator.com actually showed me burning more calories for the same sets as MFP, so I have to say I'm REALLY happy with it :-)
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link. I may have been overestimating my calories just using MFP's estimate just using time since I'm so slow and inefficient. Guess I need to start counting laps and time. For now I might just not log the calories at all.
  • debbiesats
    debbiesats Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link from me as well - I'd logged my Wednesday night swim as moderate effort but swimmingcalculator.com calories equate to mfp's vigorous effort :smile:

Shame I can't get to the pool tonight to shift the jaffa cakes I troughed earler, lol
  • electriq
    Options
    Yes, I'm finding swimming calculator.com great! -thanks!
    Can anyone tell me how to invite other people to the challenges though? I can't work it out and always enjoy having group challenges. Nike+ does a good job for running but I've been missing that on the swimming front
  • Ms_J1
    Options
    Can anyone tell me how to invite other people to the challenges though? I can't work it out and always enjoy having group challenges. Nike+ does a good job for running but I've been missing that on the swimming front

Challenges?
  • electriq
    Options

Challenges?

Yes, on swimmingcalculator.com if you sign up you can compete in challenges that you create or are invited to by other members. For example at the moment I am swimming The Cook Strait, that's the body of water between the North and South Islands of New Zealand. Other possibilities are to swim around Manhatten Island, the English Channel, The Bering Strait, or you can make your own, its pretty cool. Thing is although it says you can invite others to join you, only I can't work out how :-(
  • Ms_J1
    Options
    Oh ok. I don't know anything about that site other than the calculator. Sorry, I'm not much help on that one.
  • jjeanmneis
    jjeanmneis Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You can easily use more muscles swimming then running, and you can use a lot of big muscles too, actually, you pretty much use all your muscles if you are doing it right (arms, legs, back, abs, neck, core). The other thick is how hard you are working, in running usually calories equal distance covered.

In swimming it's more related to how hard you are pushing and how efficient (or inefficient) you are.

So to lose weigh swimming it helps to be an inefficient swimmer. GO THAT DOWN PAT! LOL:laugh:
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    i have similar stats to OP.will go back and check cals burned as fairly certain i burn way more swimming AND that burn takes weight/age factors into consideration on mfp.

i often split my swimming entries into different categories. eg half breastroke general,half swimming leisurely general to ensure an average.this is only important as a guide to me for eating back a max 30% of calories now i have lost 30+ llbs.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Macstraw wrote: »

^This. I was surprised that swimmingclculator.com actually showed me burning more calories for the same sets as MFP, so I have to say I'm REALLY happy with it :-)

crikey mac, if you burn more than mfp reports the rest of us are in big trouble keeping up !

only tongue- in- cheek , my friend.

don't know why there are so many doubters about both the calorific burn rates and benefits of swimming both in general forum and even by some on this forum.

even at a vastly reduced weight,i still " earn" more burn from swimming than i do any other exercise activity i am capable of ,at present.
    as ever, ymmv, but i still credit swimming as being my lifesaver.

• AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I have the same experience as Mac. MFP has my yesterday's swim at 1457 calories while swim calculator has it at 1966.
    I'm inclined to go with the swim calculator one as I log it on MFP AS LIGHT/ moderate when it's actually an intense swim.
    It helps me not to eat back all my calories too!
    As you say swimming burns a lot of calories. I lost all my weight swimming and counting!The body adjusts though so you have to keep upping the intensity within reason!

In my case what I do wonder about though is whether in calculating caloric burn rates they should take into account the nature of the weight (ie fat or muscle)?
    I weigh 231 pounds (105 kg) and it's mostly muscle. So shouldn't that mean that I am burning less calories then a 231 pound person who has a higher body fat percentage?

Shouldn't my more efficient muscles mean that I burn less calories over a similar distance with a person of same weight but higher body fat percentage?
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    While I do track my exercise to make sure I am doing plenty, I am beginning to think all these calories burned estimates might be more accurate if we were to decide based on a coin toss or something!

My 30-40 minute swims are tracked by Runkeeper as being in the 400-500 calorie range, and I'm a pretty slow swimmer!

• Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I think one of the reasons the burn rate is so much higher for swimming than for other cardio exercises is that the entire body is being put to use. I can't think of any other exercise where the arms, legs & core are ALL so engaged throughout the entire exercise....
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    From my observations, calculations and seeing the burn rate while running as compared to swimming, my estimate is that swimming 5 km is equivalent to running a half marathon (21km) both in calories burned, and time taken to complete?

What do y'all think? Is 1 km/mile swum (freestyle) equivalent to 4 kms/miles running?
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I see that thrown around. Not sure if I buy it. I swim about 2km/hr. When I walk, I'm doing more like 5km/hr.

But if you do the calorie estimation on both activities, swimming is listed as burning a LOT more calories.
  • Ms_J1
    Options
    When I had my VO2max test, I learned a lot about calories burned and and there's only one variable that determines your calories burned given that all the other variables are equal (e.g., duration of exercise, body weight, percentage of lean muscle mass), and that is your VO2max which is uniquely correlated to your heart rate. It doesn't matter which muscles you use, how many muscles you use, or how fast you move them, heart rate is a measurement of the ratio between the exchange of carbon dioxide and oxygen consumption and that ratio depends on the person's VO2max and is a measurement of calories burned. For example, my VO2max is 43.6 ml/kg/min and if I sustain a heart rate of 140 bpm for 60 minutes, I'll burn approximately 546 calories regardless of whether I'm swimming, running, or jump roping, But if someone who has the same physical characteristics as I have but the only difference is that their VO2max is 33.6, they'll burn 491 calories when they sustain a heart rate 140 bpm for 60 minutes regardless of what exercise they're doing. So heart rate is the most accurate way to determine calories burned if you know your VO2max but even if you don't know it, it's still way more accurate than relying on websites that just want to know your weight, age, duration of exercise, and level of intensity to figure it out.

There are two equations that calculate calorie burn fairly accurately. The second one is most accurate of the two. I found that the best way to work out the equations is to let Google do it for you - copy them and paste them into Notepad or whatever you use, replace the variables with the actual numbers, and then copy and paste them into Google's search engine.

If VO2max is unknown
    Male: ((-55.0969 + (0.6309 x HR) + (0.1988 x W) + (0.2017 x A))/4.184) x 60 x T
    Female: ((-20.4022 + (0.4472 x HR) - (0.1263 x W) + (0.074 x A))/4.184) x 60 x T

If VO2max is known
    Male: ((-95.7735 + (0.634 x HR) + (0.404 x VO2max) + (0.394 x W) + (0.271 x A))/4.184) x 60 x T
    Female: ((-59.3954 + (0.45 x HR) + (0.380 x VO2max) + (0.103 x W) + (0.274 x A))/4.184) x 60 x T

HR = heart rate in beats per min (use whatever your heart rate monitor says was your average heart rate)
    VO2max = in ml/kg/min
    W = weight in KILOGRAMS
    A = age in years
    T = duration of exercise in HOURS