Max/Maxine's Challenge 2014

Options

Replies

• SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    There is a GREAT group on Facebook called: Maxines Burn Shape Up Challenge 2013 - it's been going since last year and there is a LOT of support and wonderful ladies in that group. You need to search for it and send a request to be added as it is a closed group. :smile:

Here is that quote I mentioned this morning:

"I'm not asking you to understand it, agree with it, believe in it or have an opinion. What I am asking is that you support me. Nothing more nothing less"
  • candirose69
    candirose69 Posts: 149
    Options
    Nice quote skim! I like it :)

Day three went better, manage to get nearly 1500cals in-yay
    And I think I'm getting over my 'carb flu' haha I usually have a pretty high carb diet (what can I say I LOVE pasta) so has been a bit of an adjustment.

Pretty excited to be getting into the exercise next week, might try and get my cals OVER 1500 tomorrow so as I can try out the weights workout :)

Hows everyone else feeling...I was pretty blah this morning with an "uhg its only Wednesday" feeling but now I'm all "woo only 2 more days till the weekend" heh heh
  • Miffylou
    Miffylou Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'll apologise in advance if this doesn't make sense, but sometimes I find it hard to explain.

In response to what you've asked Candi.

I wouldn't say my husband is neither supportive or unsupportive. He just goes along with it.
    I tried it tell him about the challenge but the response was more like " why would you want to do that". So then I just don't bother.
    As my eating was already similar to the plan he hasn't noticed anything different. And as I already go to the gym most mornings he wouldn't notice anything different there either. I suppose now I'm just being more disciplined with what I'm doing.

When I was training for my half marathon he never really understood my reasons behind it. To be honest sometimes it hurt, as it would have been nice to be asked where I had been running for the past hour or maybe how far I'd gone. But at the same time he would never say anything bad or negative either. It was when we went to visit the in-laws interstate who are runners and compete in triathlons that he took more of an interest. I think he heard how they spoke about it with me and realised that yes it was a big deal. At least to me anyway.

It's not that he doesn't care or he's unhealthy it's just not his thing.

I am very picky on who I choose to speak to about food and fitness and even this challenge. As even though over the past couple of years I've had lots of positive comments, I also get a lot of negative ones as well. Mind you in saying that the negative ones are very minimal these days. Last week I was also told that I've inspired some old work colleagues to do a 12k run in sept. So I did get a bit of a buzz out of that.

I don't think I would have got as far as I have without the support here.

Skim I also like that quote, it's very well said.

I'm now off to plan my food for tomorrow. The planning has really helped me to be organised and even though I may have to change it during the day depending what happens at least it gives me a guide.

So on that note stay fit, stay healthy and stay happy.

❤️
  • bird_3_lee
    bird_3_lee Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    HI everyone,
    Just wanted to say hello & let you know that I'm doing the challenge too.
    Ive registered as private, as the only prize I'm after is an improvement in my health and physique. I am doing the lean and tone version.
    I am currerntly getting over the flu, so I didnt do the test yet, but I will post my results soon.
    Good luck everyone :smile:
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    Lou I totally get it.

One of the reasons that I broke up with my recent BF was that he just didn't get it. He is a smoker (OMG) very unfit, had a very bad diet and told me I needed a good feed and didn't understand, or try to, any of my goals. There were other reasons as well, but in the end I was wondering why we were a couple. Of course that would be totally different if I were married, but only 6 months in to the relationship I had to evaluate it and decided that we probably weren't going to cut it long term. I haven't missed him in the slightest, so I'm thinking I made the right decision.

As for friends, I have told ONE person I am doing the challenge. Most of them don't get it and don't try. I'm doing it for me, not for anyone else, and I don't really need a lot of support in my real life - that's what MFP is for!! Fortunately I only have DD to cater for and she is very easily pleased, so it doesn't impact my home life.

Last year I didn't really go full speed ahead with the challenge. I reached my goal before it finished and then I just kind of meandered through. This year I want to push myself to see how far I can go. Just for me.

Anyway, Day 4 and I'm doing great. Right on track and honestly just breezing through at the moment.

Wonder if I'll say that in 4 weeks!!
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Yes you will be saying that in 4 weeks skim, otherwise I'll kick your *kitten* (electronically only of course). :bigsmile:

Things are humming along for me too. Starting to see a bit of a difference visually now. All the bloat is gone and we're getting into the start of fat-loss territory.

I'm down to 78kg even as of this morning. So that's down almost 5kg since the start of the challenge (with crazy bloat)! I'd estimate around 2kg of fat loss in that so pretty well on track.

I'm hitting that point now where I inadvertently slip some things into my diet now that I didn't in the first couple of weeks (I usually do this after a little while on a decent deficit) so I think I'll add a bit of cardio in to offset that. It's only 100-200 cals a day so no big deal in the overall scheme of things, but in a challenge the difference between good enough and optimal is everything.

I honestly don't think I'll have a shot at top 50 as I started the challenge with my body fat too high (and I suspect anyone who is completely natty is almost ruled out from day 1 anyhow), but if I keep telling myself I have a shot, then I'll keep pushing and the results will be that much better.

As for the family, I'd say they're 'reluctantly supportive'. :laugh: . My wife struggles with her own body image issues and quite frankly I think she's scared about me looking too good - women huh... it hasn't really impacted them too much though, they've modified dinners a little (no pasta based meals) and I'll have something a bit different on my plate some nights, but other than that it's really just business as usual.
  • candirose69
    candirose69 Posts: 149
    Options
    Hey everyone glad to hear we are all going guns in our first week, and lets hope we have the same enthusiasm in week 12!

Thanks for the replys. It is just healthy eating so I'm not worried. might stop talkign to them about it though, good tip!

This has actually been easier then I thought it would be-yay!
  • Miffylou
    Options
    Hi bird and welcome.

Glad to hear everyone is going along nicely.

Ray 5kgs is fantastic. I do my weigh ins on Saturday and am really looking forward to the next one. My gym top looks a bit looser on my stomach so hoping to see a good result.

Once again off to plan tomorrow's food, so have a nice night.

????
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    Brillliant efforts all round from all of us!!

Ray, keep with the plan - a 5kg loss already is amazing and I think you will have a very good shot at Top 50 - we are only in official Week one. HEAPS of people drop out before week 6 (although none of those will be us) and the results really start to show in weeks 9 onwards. Just have to stick it out and keep with the plan :smile:

I've had a great week. I had a birthday blowout last weekend, but since then have been back on track and doing really well. Haven't been hungry at all and done my weight training as planned and been walking extra to try to get my step count up every day. Also did 2 x HIIT sessions this week. I am not a huge fan of cardio, but really trying to pick it up for the duration of the challenge.

Today I'll be doing legs and abs, tomorrow all upper stuff. Plus will do a session on the Spin Bike and go for a walk both days.

Next week I've got a busy week, so I think I'll have to do 3 x Full Body Sessions instead of a split routine. I'll write it up later today in my workout book so I'm organised ahead of time. I've got a 2014 page to a day diary that I use for all my workouts. Love a good plan!
  • Miffylou
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Nearly at the end of week 1 and am really happy with how I've gone. Had an 800 gram loss this week. Total 1.9 in two weeks. 3.4kgs till I reach my goal weight. Yay!!

Hubby leaves to go overseas on Wednesday so up until then will be sticking to my training at the gym, after that will be a mix of some home workouts and the gym. They've cut my shifts back a bit at work which I'm not pleased about but it means I'll be able to fit in an hour before school pickup on some days. We also live on top of a hill at the end of our street so am thinking of running up the hill a few times which will give me an extra bit of cardio.

Will be with you all to the end, no doubt about it. ????
  • candirose69
    Options
    HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY everyone! how are we all feeling after week one? I am feeling ontop of the world haha.

Back to eating lunches, exercising and my protein powder came in the mail so addign that this week too! its a strawberries and cream flavour so goes well in my chobani :)

Quick question, the packet says to mix with milk btu I hear people say they mix their pp with water, is this because its a different brand? ((apologies, this is my first experience with pp))

great effort lou! not far now :)
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    Brilliant effort Lou!! And so close to goal!!

Candi - depends what you want to do. I have never used milk, always just water for me.

With the Maxine's plan, it says to mix PP with milk after a workout - that is for the added carbs post workout. I still only use water. It's a personal choice. Some people use half/half. I'd say give it a go and have with milk after your workout and then water at other times - see what the difference in taste is like.
  • candirose69
    Options
    Just finished my first maxines workout :)
    Gotta say I it looked easier than it was hahha
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    They always are Candi!!

I'm doing 3 x full body workouts this week and I'm loving it! Been doing a split routine for ages and I like that too, but there is something really satisfying about working out the whole body in one session.

Day 11 today!
  • peejaygee1
    peejaygee1 Posts: 3,588 Member
    Options
    Hi all...I'm still about. Haven't started the Challenge yet as TTOM hit me for almost a fortnight straight this month and left me anaemic so I had to take medications to settle things down and take it easy (drs instructions), then just as I was beginning to feel normal again I had a lump excised from my bikini line (about the size of a 5c piece and I had 10 stitches). Got the stitches out yesterday, but am still bruised and tender in the area, so not pushing it too hard (stitches in your bikini line SUCK just so you know...)

This means I'm almost 2 weeks behind the program...oh well, all fixable. I intend on getting right back into it starting on Monday (to give me wound a little longer to heal properly before starting lifting again). Have started doing some light cardio (walking) and it feels good to be moving again...
  • Miffylou
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Haven't been around much this week. Have had some issues going on and haven't really stuck to plan. Back on track today.
    Have decided not to weigh myself this week. I'm sure I wouldn't have lost anything, so will wait till next week.

Have a great weekend.

????
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    Day 14.

It's as good a time as any to start today :smile:

I'll be back later ...
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Time for the Monday update. Things are tracking pretty well, I did my first bout of MISS cardio yesterday morning, just went for a quick 6k jog (ok so it was actually dreadfully slow), but the knee seems to have held up pretty well and that is all I was hoping for.

I do forget how hungry any form of cardio makes me though - especially on stupid low calories like I am now. It took all sorts of willpower to eat my lean protein and veg and, when still hungry, sit at the table and watch the family devour an apple pie AND cheesecake with custard and icecream for desert - which is pretty much my ideal dessert. le sigh. Just shows that when I have my game face on I can be pretty damn disciplined.

Progress is going almost spot on according to plan. Down close to another kilo this week (currently at 77.2). Took my measurements aswell, the good news is nothing has moved at all except for my waist (down approx 3cm since the start of the challenge).

Anyway, off to devour a burrito now. Hope everyone else is staying strong and starting to see some progress!
  • peejaygee1
    peejaygee1 Posts: 3,588 Member
    Options
    Sorry - just a quick excited update...I've added my workouts in as a program in my bodybuilding.com app. Which means I can track them effectively on there as well as track motivation levels, time exercises, etc etc...
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    Go team!! Ray that would be SO HARD to watch your family have that dessert... At least I don't have issues like that. My DD usually has an icecream for dessert - in her bedroom.

Good news on the workouts PeeJay!

I am doing well. Eating lots, have my days where I'm hungry and then days when I'm not hungry at all. Weird. Today I was SUPER hungry at about 2:30pm, so I ate my afternoon snack and had a big drink of water. Then didn't have dinner until 6:30pm but was fine. I usually have about 300-400g green veggies with lunch and dinner, so that's pretty filling and they are good for me so I'm happy to eat lots of veggies.

I'm having the Max Nite time shake for dinner, but I'm heating it up in the microwave - hot chocolate! It's quite sweet but I like it, seems like a treat.

Workouts are going great. Last week I switched to 3 x full body workouts a week because I'm really busy with work at the moment but at the same time I didn't want to be getting up at 5am 4 days a week - I need my sleep. So I'm getting up at 5:30am 3 mornings a week, and 6am the other 2 which means I still get a pretty rest. Anyway, I actually found that the full body workouts are working really well - and I'm still getting a bit of DOMS so I know I'm working hard enough.

Hope everyone else is doing well. Week 3 today!! All you have to do is stick with the plan and in 9 weeks time we will all be ready for summer :smile:
This discussion has been closed.