Determining your calorie goal

Options
DanaW13
DanaW13 Posts: 207 Member
I know there are a lot of discussions out there about this on MFP, but I figured I would broach this topic since we're are all in the same boat if having about 15 or less pounds to lose. I have been using the MFP goal which puts me at 1280 to lose 1 pound per week (my current weigh is 133 lbs). This is with a light activity lifestyle (SAHM of two young kids). And when I work out I eat the extra calories (I run about 4 times per week and each time burn about 400 calories).

I was wondering what everyone else is doing? Do you use the MFP estimate or is there a website you use? Do you eat all your exercise calories?

Replies

• G01denW01f11
    G01denW01f11 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I hadn't been paying much attention to it. I eat at a cafeteria, and it turns out if I just have the normal main meal serving, some fruit and vegetables each meal, I lose weight at a decent rate. However, I'm not allowed to eat there for the next month, so I plan to do the -1.5 pounds per week number + eating back exercised calories until I'm back.
  • Gen2703
    Gen2703 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I calculated my TDEE using varying websites (they all give a slightly different number but I generalized). My TDEE should be around 2000 per day. So, I settled for 1750cals and logging EVERYTHING and accurately (weigh every solid that goes in and measure every liquid). I went from 149.5 to 146.6 in 1.5 weeks. It's a bit too rapid for me (would like to drop 0.5lbs per week) so I'm guessins my TDEE is higher than 2000. The best numbers are your results!!

Once I figure my "real" TDEE, i'll eat as close as possible everyday for minimal weight loss while still doing weights in the gym to lose body fat% and not lean muscle mass.

At least that's how I am doing it :)
  • DanaW13
    Options
    G01, that's great you can do it without counting! I have to count or I just eat too much. Thanks for the info Gen. I tried a TDEE website and got a higher number than what MFP gives me. I don't know though, I'm afraid to go up! I'll stick with my current number for a couple weeks and see how it goes.
  • Gen2703
    Options
    G01, that's great you can do it without counting! I have to count or I just eat too much. Thanks for the info Gen. I tried a TDEE website and got a higher number than what MFP gives me. I don't know though, I'm afraid to go up! I'll stick with my current number for a couple weeks and see how it goes.

It's normal that you got a higher number. MFP doesnt calculate any exercice so if you tell MFP you want to lose 1lbs per week, it gives you a number. Then you log exercice and he goes "well you told me that you wanted to lose 1lbs, so now that you burned some calories, eat them back!"..

I hope I am making sense :) And I get that you're afraid to go up. I was too!! What's your calorie per day goal right now?
  • heleahic
    heleahic Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I know there are a lot of discussions out there about this on MFP, but I figured I would broach this topic since we're are all in the same boat if having about 15 or less pounds to lose. I have been using the MFP goal which puts me at 1280 to lose 1 pound per week (my current weigh is 133 lbs). This is with a light activity lifestyle (SAHM of two young kids). And when I work out I eat the extra calories (I run about 4 times per week and each time burn about 400 calories).

I was wondering what everyone else is doing? Do you use the MFP estimate or is there a website you use? Do you eat all your exercise calories?

Thanks for posting this - I'm using the MFP goal too (1320 currently to lose 1lb per week) . I eat back most of my exercise calories, though it took me a few months to realise I was supposed to! I'm wondering about switching my goal to 1/2 lb a week so I have a few more calories as on days I don't exercise I can get hungry.
  • DanaW13
    Options
    Gen--even after taking exercise into account, MFP gives me about 300 less calories. Right now my calorie goal per day is 1280, and in addition I get on average 250-300 exercise calories (so total is about 1550 per day). When I did an online TDEE estimate I got 2350 calories for maintenance (including exercise as you said). 80% of that is 1880. So still a big difference, if I am doing this right?

Heleahic--yes a .5 pound loss per week is not a bad way to go--better for long term maintenance! My goal is still a pound per week because I am impatient...
  • oksanatkachuk
    oksanatkachuk Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I took bmr of 1300 and added 200 cal.
    My tdee is 1800 but so unsure coz my days are much different.
    1500 is pretty enough food and I lose inches, some weight too.

165 cm
    Sw 58.5
    Cw 57
    Gw 55 prolly.. I m not sure, using mirror
    I lift weight and walk uphill 3 times a week
    Not eating cal back mainly
  • Gen2703
    Options
    Dana: honestly I find MFP's calorie goals a little low. But, that's just me. I have done a LOT of reading on this site and I found that for me, calculating TDEE and eating close to that works a lot better (for my mood and for my body) to eat closer to that while still being in a deficit. It's all a game of trial and error and consistency and accuracy :)
  • DanaW13
    Options
    Gen--it sounds like you track really accurately and have been able to find your best number. I have not been as good tracking but have gotten better the past couple weeks, so I will take your advice and see if you can come to some conclusions :)
  • Gen2703
    Options
    Dana: keep me posted if you want!!! I would be happy to help if I can :):flowerforyou:
  • DanaW13
    Options
    Thanks Gen, I appreciate it :). I've had two weeks now of good tracking, so I think I may soon be able to tell what really works for me.