~ Off Topic - ?? re: Men Who Only Have Women Friends on MFP

Options
Hi All --

I know this is slightly off topic, but I'm posting here because this is a group for women and all of you seem to be more sensible and dedicated than much of what I've seen in the other general forums.

I'm new to the site -- less than a month in -- and don't know quite what to make of some of the friend requests I've gotten from men who only have women friends. I'm then even more confused since they don't tend to include a note with the request, and rarely have information on their pages that make me think we have a lot of common interests or goals. And, I've actually declined at least one man who then just puts in another request (but still no note).

What do you gals do with these types of requests? Am I being overly cautious or silly or vain or all / none of the above?

Thanks,
Courtney

Replies

• spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    To friend request me, I wrote that people need to have a message. I will decline if they don't write anything. If you don't want to add them, then don't. There's nothing wrong with being selective in the friends you want :smile:
  • bruerin
    bruerin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Well, you are a very attractive woman, that is evident from your avatar. They see it, and send the request. I haven't gotten any weirdo requests, but my avatar is currently a chubby Panda. Plus, you are very nice. If people read your postings in the general forums, some probably do want to be friends for good reasons. But some will always be creepers.

I agree with spirit095-no shame in being selective in your friends. I'd much rather have a handful of people who have the same interests, are funny, and who I "click" with than a large amount of bozos.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I just ignore it if there is no note and I don't recognise them from the forums or something. There be lots o creepers out there.
  • ketoandbarbell
    ketoandbarbell Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Well, you are a very attractive woman, that is evident from your avatar. They see it, and send the request. I haven't gotten any weirdo requests, but my avatar is currently a chubby Panda. Plus, you are very nice. If people read your postings in the general forums, some probably do want to be friends for good reasons. But some will always be creepers.

I agree with spirit095-no shame in being selective in your friends. I'd much rather have a handful of people who have the same interests, are funny, and who I "click" with than a large amount of bozos.

Agree with pic. I had more random requests when it was my back in a bikini. I also have a note in profile to add a note to FR or will not be added. Dont have to add anyone if you dont want.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    on the pic theme . . . nobody's bothered me yet :laugh: plus, i don't hang out much in the general forum so i'm under the radar, i guess.

i'd be a little bit wary myself. plus, i guess i'm a little bit social-networking challenged, and antisocial in a more general sense. i like to have a little bit of something in common with someone before i see the point of becoming a 'friend'. just being in the same general environment for the same general reason doesn't make much impression on me. it would be like someone asking you to be their 'friend' because you're on the same bus or something.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,276 Member
    Options
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,276 Member
    Options
    on the pic theme . . . nobody's bothered me yet :laugh: plus, i don't hang out much in the general forum so i'm under the radar, i guess.

i'd be a little bit wary myself. plus, i guess i'm a little bit social-networking challenged, and antisocial in a more general sense. i like to have a little bit of something in common with someone before i see the point of becoming a 'friend'. just being in the same general environment for the same general reason doesn't make much impression on me. it would be like someone asking you to be their 'friend' because you're on the same bus or something.
    Amen.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I don't tend to accept requests unless there's a message. Why would I? I wouldn't have a problem with a male friend who only had female friends, if he had a reasonable motivation for being my friend.

In general I find the main forums anti-women.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    definitely no message=no friend. and if it's the first time you've seen the username and there seems to be no reason.. why would you friend them?!

likewise feel free to go through and have a cull of people on your friendslist who you never interact with.. it's your fl, your rules!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I get tons of FRs everyday. No message means you can't be bothered, why would I be bothered to friend you? Automatic decline.

Hell now people get declined unless we have mutuals and I like ya. You can't keep up with everyone with a big FL.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I keep a small friends list. If you don't feel comfortable adding someone, male or female, don't. No shame in that.

I have only added one male, and then deleted him, because our goals were obviously different. I do interact with men on the forums though, because some of them can be a great resource for lifting information.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    I accepted a friend request from a rando a few days ago then noticed that his status updates were getting hundreds of likes. Interest piqued, I checked his profile and saw that he was friends with almost 8000 people, mostly women. I didn't even know you could have that many friends. I got the heebie-jeebies and deleted him.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    Yes, I never put an actual picture of me so that I don't get requests either... of course I'm also doing it because I wouldn't want someone I know to be able to identify me (work, family, friends, enemies, what have you). That seems super awkward to me. I don't mind if strangers know my weight and weight loss troubles but I don't need people I see knowing that stuff.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I also have a note on my profile that says no message with friend request = declined. I've only had 3 males send me friend requests. The first one was a tad creepy, but he sent me a legit private message about his story, goals, and all that. He kept his diary private, didn't post on his wall thingy and didn't post in the forums so I ended up removing him. The second was a teenage boy who went on a FR spree and I ended up removing him because he was eating ~1200 cals per day and his posts were annoying teenager things. lol. The third was a total creep that I declined right away. He asked me to wrestle with him. Ew. The only other people on his friends list were females that were all hardcore body builders (according to their profile pics anyway).
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    In general I find the main forums anti-women.

I haven't spent that much time in the general forums -- too many "would you bang the person above you or not?" type threads for my taste. But surprised / disappointed that they'd be "anti-women" in tone. Could you explain? (Note: I'm not being a smart *kitten* or combative -- really am curious.)
  • logg1e
    Options
    I personally find the content very different in tone and content to the other forums I use. I was struck by:-

- the popular assumption amongst many posters that women want to become healthy in order to appeal more to men.
    - the assumption that women should choose gym clothes which make them sexually appealing to men.
    - the prolific use of images which objectify women.
    - the confidence with which some posters feel entitled to announce what they find attractive or unattractive in a woman as if it's interesting, important and not at all sleazy.
    - the use of gifs, images and terms which ridicule women purely because they are female.
    - the disparaging and often factually incorrect talk about mensuration from people who will never have a period in their life (and the rather bizarre use of euphemisms for mensuration).
    - the celebrating of historically male pursuits such as weight-lifting and disparaging comments about activities such as zumba, treadmills etc.
    - the use of emotive terms in a casual manner, e.g. use of the word "rape" to indicate repeated use.
    - the constant referring to women as girls.
    - women being told they shouldn't contribute to a thread, purely because they are female.

ETA: and when this challenged, there's surprise and a bit of a "Cool Girl" backlash.
  • randomtai
    Options
    I personally find the content very different in tone and content to the other forums I use. I was struck by:-

- the popular assumption amongst many posters that women want to become healthy in order to appeal more to men.
    - the assumption that women should choose gym clothes which make them sexually appealing to men.
    - the confidence with which some posters feel entitled to announce what they find attractive or unattractive in a woman as if it's interesting, important and not at all sleazy.
    - the use of gifs, images and terms which ridicule women purely because they are female.
    - the disparaging and often factually incorrect talk about mensuration from people who will never have a period in their life (and the rather bizarre use of euphemisms for mensuration).
    - the celebrating of historically male pursuits such as weight-lifting and disparaging comments about activities such as zumba, treadmills etc.
    - the use of emotive terms in a casual manner, e.g. use of the word "rape" to indicate repeated use.
    - women being told they shouldn't contribute to a thread, purely because they are female.

ETA: and when this challenged, there's surprise and a bit of a "Cool Girl" backlash.

:huh:
  • logg1e
    Options
    :laugh: I promise you that was auto-correct!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

this is a sub-forum for women who lift weights (just so you know)... I find the assertion that weight training is something for men and not for women to be sexist. I'm sure a lot of the other weight-lifting women here would as well.

I really enjoy weight lifting and hate stuff like zumba and treadmills. I also really enjoy rough sports like ice hockey, and when I used to play (back in the day) I played a very physical game, in defence, body checking people n stuff (and a few fights here and there).... does that make me unfeminine? Yep, by modern sexist standards.... but not by any biological reality.

Why is zumba considered feminine and weight training considered masculine? Because we live in a sexist society, that's why. Instead of complaining about the number of people here who like weight training (which include both men and women who actively encourage other women to take it up) question the attitude that weight training is for men. Because it's so good for health (for men and women (and anyone who's transgender too, for that matter)) and because.... .... .... .... women are supposed to be strong too. See my avatar - she's a forensic reconstruction of a woman who lived around 50,000 years ago. She had big muscles and needed to be very strong to survive. Women evolved to be strong. Humans evolved to be strong. Gender shouldn't even come into it.

Also, zumba and treadmills will not give you the kind of results in terms of physique that weight training will give you. That applies equally for men and women (although the hormonal differences between men and women mean that women and men don't get exactly the same results from weight training - women won't see the muscle size gains that men will) - that's a biological fact. There are some cardio haters on this forum, but you'll find just as many female cardio haters as male cardio haters, and that's not sexist at all because there's no biological reason why cardio is more for women than for men - both/all genders need to keep their heart and lungs and circulatory system healthy. Just as strength training/weight lifting increases bone density and strength for both men and women... if you want to get into a gender difference with bone density, women are more at risk of osteoporosis than men due to hormonal changes at/after menopause, so if anything, strength/weight training is a little bit *more* important for women than for men. I don't agree with anyone who's hating on other people doing cardio, because that's just silly. But it's not sexist.

ETA: I haven't seen most of the other stuff you mention... and some stuff, like "men only" threads are greatly outnumbered by "women only" threads - and no-one pays any attention to those requests anyway, no point making them. Put a "warning TMI" instead if you want to discuss menstrual cycles or something.

Also, a male ob-gyn quite possibly saved my life and the life of my 2nd child... I'm sure he knows a lot more about periods than I do even though he's never had a period himself... sexism against men isn't very nice either.
  • randomtai
    Options

this is a sub-forum for women who lift weights (just so you know)... I find the assertion that weight training is something for men and not for women to be sexist. I'm sure a lot of the other weight-lifting women here would as well.

I really enjoy weight lifting and hate stuff like zumba and treadmills. I also really enjoy rough sports like ice hockey, and when I used to play (back in the day) I played a very physical game, in defence, body checking people n stuff (and a few fights here and there).... does that make me unfeminine? Yep, by modern sexist standards.... but not by any biological reality.

Why is zumba considered feminine and weight training considered masculine? Because we live in a sexist society, that's why. Instead of complaining about the number of people here who like weight training (which include both men and women who actively encourage other women to take it up) question the attitude that weight training is for men. Because it's so good for health (for men and women (and anyone who's transgender too, for that matter)) and because.... *shock horror*.... women are supposed to be strong too. See my avatar - she's a forensic reconstruction of a woman who lived around 50,000 years ago. She had big muscles and needed to be very strong to survive. Women evolved to be strong. Humans evolved to be strong. Gender shouldn't even come into it.

Also, zumba and treadmills will not give you the kind of results in terms of physique that weight training will give you. That applies equally for men and women (although the hormonal differences between men and women mean that women and men don't get exactly the same results from weight training - women won't see the muscle size gains that men will) - that's a biological fact. There are some cardio haters on this forum, but you'll find just as many female cardio haters as male cardio haters, and that's not sexist at all because there's no biological reason why cardio is more for women than for men - both/all genders need to keep their heart and lungs and circulatory system healthy. Just as strength training/weight lifting increases bone density and strength for both men and women... if you want to get into a gender difference with bone density, women are more at risk of osteoporosis than men due to hormonal changes at/after menopause, so if anything, strength/weight training is a little bit *more* important for women than for men. I don't agree with anyone who's hating on other people doing cardio, because that's just silly. But it's not sexist.

ALL OF THIS!!!!