Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I'm prone to shin splints, so I've been trying the RICE method. I'm thinking about getting a roller though.

There are several potential causes of shin splints, including muscular imbalance.

It's worth doing some resistance training, at least bodyweight work, or something like cycling with toes clipped into the pedals to balance up the muscles.

I need to look into something...my shins were killing me today. I'm up to 4 miles now (I forgot to post that I graduated about 2 weeks ago?), but man, my legs hurt now.

I'll keep reading for shin suggestions, lol
    So I picked up the foam roller today. Basically, you roll into the apps that hurt and then hold it for about a minute or until the pain goes away. I'll report back after using it for a week
  • jsandie76
    jsandie76 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    W6D1 Done! It was difficult today but that was completely my fault. My hubby asked me if we could run on Wednesday afternoons and I agreed.... but I forgot that Zumba is on Wednesday mornings! I went to Zumba this morning (because I really enjoy it) and then ran this afternoon. My legs are so sore tonight! I'm gonna move the run with hubby to Tuesdays so I can enjoy Monday and Wednesday Zumba classes. Tomorrow is going to be a compete rest day, so I recoup for Friday's run.
  • ejdp254
    ejdp254 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    W7D2 all done yesterday, getting much easier, once your breathing is steady I kind of just keep going, hope it lasts!
  • gd34
    gd34 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Finished week 7 day 1 earlier this week! Incredibly, it's getting easier and easier. I've finally lost 3 pounds in the last 2 weeks, after weeks and weeks of losing nothing. It also totally improves my mood, which is very helpful. Today is week 7 day 2. So happy to see everyone doing so well. it's great inspiration!
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Week 6, Day 1 finished yesterday. It seemed so easy after having to repeat week 5, day 3.
  • upsaluki
    Options
    Week 6 Day 3 is all done.
  • ejdp254
    Options
    Well done on finishing W6!!!!!!
  • TowsonChuck
    TowsonChuck Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Finished Week 5 Day 3 --- The 20 minute Run. Went really well, the running part at least.... Had an issue with the app, I run a trail nearby that is like 40 miles straight. So i rely on the app to tell me half way done so i can turn around. I was really counting on it today, so I could try to gauge how I was feeling compared to how long I had left. At some point I said "Man this is taking a lot longer to hit halfway then I thought it would" turns out I ran for 12.5 minutes before turning around..." No biggie. Just a longer cool down back to the car.

Since it is a trail... I also lost cell service which means I lost music too...

Oh well Mission Accomplished either way, and it felt good too.

Congrats!! I'm pumped to start week 6 after actually getting through week 5!
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Finished Week 5 Day 3 --- The 20 minute Run. Went really well, the running part at least.... Had an issue with the app, I run a trail nearby that is like 40 miles straight. So i rely on the app to tell me half way done so i can turn around. I was really counting on it today, so I could try to gauge how I was feeling compared to how long I had left. At some point I said "Man this is taking a lot longer to hit halfway then I thought it would" turns out I ran for 12.5 minutes before turning around..." No biggie. Just a longer cool down back to the car.

Since it is a trail... I also lost cell service which means I lost music too...

Oh well Mission Accomplished either way, and it felt good too.

Congrats!! I'm pumped to start week 6 after actually getting through week 5!

Congrats on getting the mind game run over and done with. I look forward to hearing about your graduation.

Well done to everyone else, great progress is being made. I salute you all. Have a good weekend

Edited for smelling (sic)
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Edited for smelling (sic)

I just almost spit my coffee out, I was laughing so hard! LOL

:laugh:
  • upsaluki
    Options
    Week 7 Day 1- not my finest day, but done.
  • jsandie76
    jsandie76 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    W6D2 Done
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    W1D1 is done!
    W1D2 is done!
    W1D3 is done!
    W2D1 is done!
    W2D2 is done!
    W2D3 is done!
    W3D1 is done!
    W3D2 is done!
    W3D3 is done!????
  • SamNicoll
    SamNicoll Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Newbie here!

W1D1 done yesterday, W1D2 tomorrow. So far so good :laugh:

The 'what to do before you start' advice was/is very useful - thanks! Have been checked, have good shoes, know about warming up and stretching out. Have been doing circuit training 45m x 3 x week for past 6 months so fitness/stamina improving.

I have never been a runner, and I may never become a runner - my goal is simply to complete the program.

Be well!
  • ejdp254
    Options
    W7D3 all done!!! Bring on Monday and we'll be up to 28 mins,.looking forward to it. And I have to say my 11yr old is still doing the programme with me!!
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Newbie here!

The 'what to do before you start' advice was/is very useful - thanks! Have been checked, have good shoes, know about warming up and stretching out. Have been doing circuit training 45m x 3 x week for past 6 months so fitness/stamina improving.

I have never been a runner, and I may never become a runner - my goal is simply to complete the program.

Be well!

if you complete the programme you will be converted. I went from not running to now doing it 4 times a week, completed c210k and did a 10k run in under 62 mins.

Enjoy and have fun
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    W7D3 all done!!! Bring on Monday and we'll be up to 28 mins,.looking forward to it. And I have to say my 11yr old is still doing the programme with me!!
    Nice! I am trying to involve my 12 y.o., but he is resisting :(
  • upsaluki
    Options
    W1D1 is done!
    W1D2 is done!
    W1D3 is done!
    W2D1 is done!
    W2D2 is done!
    W2D3 is done!
    W3D1 is done!
    W3D2 is done!
    W3D3 is done!????
    You're really knocking them out. Way to go.
  • upsaluki
    Options
    Newbie here!

Be well!

Sounds like things should go smoothly. Since you've been exercising for a while you might have to fight the urge to go too soon too fast. Getting your legs prepped for running might be harder than building endurance for the runs themselves.
  • SamNicoll
    SamNicoll Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome.

W1/D2 completed - took it a bit easier by slowing down a little, following the advice offered above and after reading through the experience of others.

Happy Sunday!