Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• DesertStar86
    DesertStar86 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Back on track! I had a couple of weeks off as I had some personal "stuff" going on and then went on vacation for 5 days. I really struggled to get motivated. Forced myself out last night after reading an article about that girl who has just run a ridiculous number of back-to-back marathons...

So... W9D1 is done. I'm amazed I made it the whole way through. Apart from a 15 second shoelace tying stop, I finished without stopping and I made up the lost time at the end. I only covered 3.8km though, so I have quite a way to go in building up distance. I've stuck to my hilly route throughout and I'm glad of that.

My hips are killing me today though. I've suffered with hip pain from day one. I know I need to work on my core strength to help this - it's just a matter of actually doing it!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I know I need to work on my core strength to help this - it's just a matter of actually doing it!

I know. Resistance training is boring as hel, so I really struggle to get motivated to do it.
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options

Week 1 is done!
    Week 2 is done!
    Week 3 is done!

Week 4 is done!
  • Stanlee202
    Stanlee202 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I graduated from c25k about a month ago, & have been running ever since :) Decided to start up the 10K one (from the beginning-trying to speed up a bit), so W1D1 is done!
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I graduated from c25k about a month ago, & have been running ever since :) Decided to start up the 10K one (from the beginning-trying to speed up a bit), so W1D1 is done!
    Nice. The repetition isn't too boring/easy for you? Are you just running everything at a faster pace?
  • jsandie76
    jsandie76 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have had such a busy week this last week that I haven't had much chance to log in...never mind record my runs.

I think the last run I posted was W6D2 on Aug 20. On Aug 25 I did W6D3 and on Sat, Aug 27 I did W7D1. With school starting, and my husband going back to work, and I just started a running clinic, and I am back in the gym taking Zumba 2/3 days per week, scheduling has been a bit odd.

I find between Zumba and running my knees have been giving me a bit more problems than when I started. They aren't "painfull" but definitely achy, and they feel a bit... off. I just really enjoy both of them and would hate to have to give one of them up!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Just did week 5 day 3. Run 20 minutes with no walking. I made it 10.5 minutes, paused the timer for approximately 3 minutes then finished. I'm gonna re do till I finish straight through. I'm gonna complete this. My mantra for this as well as college is "commit to complete"

Slow down. It's the best way to make it through the longer runs.

I love coming back to this thread, seeing all the great progress! I'm about to re-focus on running after having spent a glorious summer on the bicycle, with a few runs here and there.

Keep up the great work, everybody! You can do this!
  • DesertStar86
    DesertStar86 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    W9D2 done. Still nowhere near 5k as I run super slow to ensure I finish in time. Ive downloaded all of the run double apps so will probably start the 5k improver after the last run. Once I can actually run 5k I'll move on to 10k... (never thought I'd be saying this).
  • ejdp254
    ejdp254 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    W8D3 finished. Just one week to go.!!!:drinker:
  • upsaluki
    Options
    W9D2 done. Still nowhere near 5k as I run super slow to ensure I finish in time. Ive downloaded all of the run double apps so will probably start the 5k improver after the last run. Once I can actually run 5k I'll move on to 10k... (never thought I'd be saying this).
    Way to stick with it.
  • upsaluki
    Options
    I have had such a busy week this last week that I haven't had much chance to log in...never mind record my runs.

I think the last run I posted was W6D2 on Aug 20. On Aug 25 I did W6D3 and on Sat, Aug 27 I did W7D1. With school starting, and my husband going back to work, and I just started a running clinic, and I am back in the gym taking Zumba 2/3 days per week, scheduling has been a bit odd.

I find between Zumba and running my knees have been giving me a bit more problems than when I started. They aren't "painfull" but definitely achy, and they feel a bit... off. I just really enjoy both of them and would hate to have to give one of them up!
    when I first started couch 2 5k, I was also doing the you are your own gym program. I found it too difficult to do both at the same time. There were always schedule conflicts and I found I wasn't getting enough rest. I started having problems with my knees and shin splints, but these have gone away since I dropped the you are your own gym. You might be better off moderating your exercise by slowing down on both Zumba and running if you want to keep doing both.
  • TowsonChuck
    TowsonChuck Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Sorry been gone for a week on Vacation. I did W6D1 (zenlabs) before leaving, and thought I would have made time to do D2, and D3 in the mornings on Vacation. I didn't, but should have. Oh well.

Repeated W6 D1 this morning. It wasn't as easy as it was the first time I did it, guess that is what happens when you take a week off. Back at the grind this week though.

Just read through the posts since I've been gone, looks like some people are really close to finishing up and graduating. Nice work.
  • Stanlee202
    Options
    W1D2 done! I'm doing it at a faster pace-c25k taught me how to run, I'm using the first half of the 10k to actually get a 30 min 5k (I'm consistently between 37 and 38 minutes now). I also run the app with zombies, run!-which is a REALLY fun game, if you're into that sort of thing. Keep it up everyone, and have fun!
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    My hips are killing me today though. I've suffered with hip pain from day one. I know I need to work on my core strength to help this - it's just a matter of actually doing it!

Stretch your glutes and get a roller. Those two things combined have elminated all my hip pain without doing core strength. I agree with you that core strength will help, but that takes time to do. Stretching and rolling take about 15 minutes, and then I have no pain. If it's really bad, I schedule a massage.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    W1D2 done! I'm doing it at a faster pace-c25k taught me how to run, I'm using the first half of the 10k to actually get a 30 min 5k (I'm consistently between 37 and 38 minutes now).

fwiw the quickest way to improve your 5K pace is to get yourself up to running 10K.
  • Davali
    Davali Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Just finished week 4, day 3. Ready for the next 2, but trying not to think of the 20 mins on wk5, d3.
  • Stanlee202
    Options
    W1D2 done! I'm doing it at a faster pace-c25k taught me how to run, I'm using the first half of the 10k to actually get a 30 min 5k (I'm consistently between 37 and 38 minutes now).

fwiw the quickest way to improve your 5K pace is to get yourself up to running 10K.

Thanks!! Good to know I'm on the right path-I just started up zen labs 10k program-the first 9 weeks are exactly like c25k, so I decided to start from scratch instead of where c25k left off, and pick up the pace :)
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    Just finished week 4, day 3. Ready for the next 2, but trying not to think of the 20 mins on wk5, d3.
    I'm with you! Just did W5D1!
  • upsaluki
    Options
    Week 8 Day 2 done. Covered 2.75 miles.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Thanks!! Good to know I'm on the right path-I just started up zen labs 10k program-the first 9 weeks are exactly like c25k, so I decided to start from scratch instead of where c25k left off, and pick up the pace :)

My point was more, that you'll make quicker progress just doing the 5K-10K portion.

5K distance doesn't give you a sound basis to benefit from trying to increase pace.

I made my biggest pace improvements on the 5K-10K distance transition and the 10K to HM distance transition.