Shaking my head in disbelief

Options
2»

Replies

• niecey61
    niecey61 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    TOTALLY POLITICAL!!

Please support your local farmers and support them whenever you can!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • niecey61
    niecey61 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Don't even get me started on how this interplays with the sickness of our nation and Medicare/Medicaid/Disability that the government complains about paying for and what a state we are in!!

When they are the ones that are causing it. Please!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    "I've chalked it up to the addictive nature of grains and sugar, and the fact that most people have been brainwashed to think that such things can't possibly be addictive".

You are absolutely right Dragonwolf, honestly once I started eating cake for a fundraiser for morning tea, goodies for a colleague leaving work for afternoon tea, it was like a monster took over my self control. Snacked all evening on rubbish but I am not going to beat myself over it. I started the day with a glass of water and will continue to eat fresh food today. I really want to get rid of this hazy, headachy hungover feeling.
    And the farm subsidies, and the now totally corporate nature of big agra.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    No doubt about it, Paleo definitely generates interesting discussions. I just don't get why everyone is so against healthy basic eating. Mention giving up sugar and grains in the general forum and anyone thinks you have lost your mind.

Talking about giving up sugar - I have just had a sugar filled day and now I feel absolutely awful. Headachy and yuck.:tongue:
    Memo to me - DON'T DO IT AGAIN!!

I've chalked it up to the addictive nature of grains and sugar, and the fact that most people have been brainwashed to think that such things can't possibly be addictive. Again, heaven forbid you bring that idea up, because apparently, only hard drugs can be addictive, because their withdrawal symptoms could actually kill you (yeah, had something to that effect said to me). Tell that to anyone who's gotten bad withdrawal from trying to give it up (just as my husband, who looks and feels like death warmed over if he goes more than a couple of days without grains/carbs; he gets it bad).

A friend also suspects it's basically the result of malnourished brains. Given the amount of foaming at the mouth I've seen in response to mentioning anything remotely Paleo, I'm inclined to believe.
    Arthur agatston (South Beach) has talked a lot about childhood obesity and concomitant malnourishment in American children. He says doctors are beginning to see scurvy in fat kids.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    We have a big well know chef here in Australia that's advocating the paleo diet and he is getting a lot of backlash for it here. It crazy. Im also currently studying nutrition and one of the questions we had was what is bad carbohydrate source? my answer soft drink, cakes, biscuits etc I was told that was incorrect because they are needed in a healthy diet and have their place and should never be eliminated. Are you kidding me?
    wtf? What was the "correct" answer?
  • Wantingtolose1
    Wantingtolose1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    We have a big well know chef here in Australia that's advocating the paleo diet and he is getting a lot of backlash for it here. It crazy. Im also currently studying nutrition and one of the questions we had was what is bad carbohydrate source? my answer soft drink, cakes, biscuits etc I was told that was incorrect because they are needed in a healthy diet and have their place and should never be eliminated. Are you kidding me?
    wtf? What was the "correct" answer?

Not sure. I wasn't told what the right answer was but just that those foods were needed and shouldn't be eliminated. After I read that I didn't want to ask what was considered a bad source then as not much worse foods left
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I agree that the defining the diet as "Paleo" is probably the biggest reason it gets so much flack. That and eliminating legumes. I think that freaks people out too. I get why they chose that definition, but it gives people a reason to snark.

Considering I was once a carb queen, I don't know that I'm that shocked people get up in arms when you suggest their bread/crackers/pasta might not be the best thing for them. Two years ago you would have had to pull them from my cold, dead hands. Now I don't even miss them. And I'm in the best shape of my life!

That all being said, I'm pretty loose when it comes to my Primal diet. I do have dairy whenever I want (half & half and yogurt, tiny bit of cheese), and eat all the legumes I desire. I also live on artificial sweeteners. So yeah, I'm probably not the best advocate.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I agree that the defining the diet as "Paleo" is probably the biggest reason it gets so much flack. That and eliminating legumes. I think that freaks people out too. I get why they chose that definition, but it gives people a reason to snark.

Considering I was once a carb queen, I don't know that I'm that shocked people get up in arms when you suggest their bread/crackers/pasta might not be the best thing for them. Two years ago you would have had to pull them from my cold, dead hands. Now I don't even miss them. And I'm in the best shape of my life!

That all being said, I'm pretty loose when it comes to my Primal diet. I do have dairy whenever I want (half & half and yogurt, tiny bit of cheese), and eat all the legumes I desire. I also live on artificial sweeteners. So yeah, I'm probably not the best advocate.

Legumes are excluded for good reason. They are a poor source of nutrition (imo) and have the usual phytates. Additionally they are poorly tolerated by a number of people. In cultures that did eat them regularly they were soaked/fermented just like is needed for grains. My Inuit child and I do not tolerate legumes well at all (I'm Irish descent mostly).

However, I agree that many people tolerate legumes. If one tolerates them and likes them. Power to them. I don't really consider legumes non Paleo, but the idea of Paleo is to consume the foods that make each individual healthiest. Legumes are a valid and cultural choice for many people.

I cannot, however, understand your choice to use artificial sweeteners. I'd happily use honey if I refused to give up added sweet.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    So weird how other elimination diets are seen as quirky or even honorable, while this is all craaazy-head.

I can't help wondering if the "establishment" or "big business" are concerned because the processing business would suffer once people went back to basics and ate real food again.

I don't wonder about this anymore, I KNOW it. Profits are being threatened and I guarantee you that the number one activity of corporations is to protect and INCREASE profits; in fact they are legally obligated to increase profits for their shareholders. It's not just food processors that stand to lose profits it's Big Chem, Big Ag, Big Pharma, et al.
  • HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I can't get this to work right. I'm trying to include quotes but it keeps putting my words in the blue box too.

The OP sounds British. UK wheat sales were down a HUGE amount last year. I am a small sustainable farmer in the USA and I always blame the big guys ...because they are always behind it! Would not be surprised at all if that was the catalyst behind this "health" report.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Apparently I am not the only one shaking their head in disbelief at the flack that Paleo is receiving. Pete Evans, for those who don't know him, is an extremely well known chef in Australia. He has been the judge on "My Kitchen Rules" (a high rating cooking competition on TV) for many years and is highly respected in his industry. Recently, he has been very publicly supporting Paleo and has released various cookbooks and has virtually become a Paleo statesman. He is also a good bloke and very good looking to boot.

Just a tiny bit of background of the Heart Foundation "tick" program. From my own business experience, it doesn't matter whether your food is healthy or not, if you pay them an extremely large amount of money you will get the "healthy misleading tick of approval" to use.

The following is from Pete Evans Facebook page. It is long but worth the read.

"If the DAA Dietitians Association of Australia ever need another spokesperson that isn't afraid to to speak out, then look no further than Grace.

I posted and asked a question or two about the Heart Foundations "tick" program and also about their public attack of the paleo way lifestyle. So far that post has been seen by over 1 million people with over 1700 comments (our largest so far!) Out of these comments we had a few people say the old "everything in moderation," but the majority left comments that shone a lot of light on the questions that I asked so thanks everyone for taking the time to respond.

Grace, however thought the best answer to my questions was to say "Pete Evans is a complete ****wit." (Little Miss Naughty? see the pic below)

Now, normally I don't pay much attention to the people that write these type of things as I realise they might have some unresolved issues that they might need addressing, (Hell there is a guy on twitter that has made an account as me with my name and with my picture and posts stuff about me and attacks other people...talk about unresolved issues, but hey each to their own and I hope this type of therapy helps them.)

Anyway, it just so happens that Grace is a practicing DIETITIAN.

Isn't it interesting that the people trusted to be delivering health advice for the public have come out not once, not twice, but so many times over the last year or so that I can't keep up with it, with a media campaign to bring down the paleo way of life by saying it is dangerous.

Why do we not hear or see the DAA questioning the heart foundation for their 'tick' on products like I posted about yesterday. Maybe we need to make up a warning sticker instead of a tick for them?

Why do we not hear the DAA spokespeople talk about, that if you do eat meat from animals that have lived on land or in the sea, then to look for animals that are eating the foods that they have evolved to eat with no antibiotics or hormones and have access to life outdoors and have been treated well whist alive?

Why do we not hear them talk about the dairy industry and talk about the way dairy cattle and their calves are treated in this country to supply the population with milk that we do not need in our diets to thrive and be healthy. Whether it is low fat or not.

Why do we not hear them talk about GMO's and the tentacles of Monsanto that is starting to take a hold on our farmers and the health of the land and our people?

Why are they not campaigning for organic farming and to rid the use of toxic chemicals from our food supply?

Why are they not stopping hydrogenated oils from being in foods that kids are targeted with?

Why are they not stopping food colours, additives, msg and other chemicals from being sold in schools for children when they know of the side effects, and with the most ridiculous traffic light system ever to be developed implemented into schools?

Why are they not stopping the refined sugars, HFCS, and fake sweeteners and aspartame from being in nearly 80% of grocery items at the supermarkets?

Why have they copied the completely flawed American Food Pyramid in the 70s and followed suit with the "healthy eating guide" which is basically a copy of the the USA food plate?

Why since the introduction of these eating guidelines have we now the worst health in this country than we have ever had?

Why are the DAA not campaigning against fast food chains, instead, we have communities coming together to say NO to these multinational giants?

Why are the DAA not campaigning for better food in hospitals that will actually help speed up the recovery of their patients and educating them for their future on health eating?

Why are cancer patients in hospital recommended to eat foods that turn to sugar in our bodies from dietitians, when the most up to date science shows that sugar feeds cancer?

Why does the DAA not stand up to big agribusiness and government and share the research on what mono cropping our so called essential foods is doing to our topsoil by the continued use of chemicals and non sustainable farming methods.

Why does the DAA and heart foundation have financial ties to Multi national food processed food corporations that litter the supermarket shelves with so called "healthy foods"?

Why do our leading Dietitians continue to do product reviews on packaged foods that I would not never feed to any child and say it is a healthy choice? These foods come from multinational food companies and perhaps should have a warning sign on them life cigarettes do. (One of these major food companies that constantly gets reviewed by our leading dietitian doesn't even pay proper tax because they are owned by a church.)

Why is Australia fast becoming the most obese and unhealthy nations on earth?
    Is this because we are a nation of self obsessed, weak minded people with no self control? No. Is it because we are a nation that for far too long has been told to steer clear of foods naturally high in fat, which naturally trigger our fullness hormone, and instead told to eat 6 - 8 servings of processed carbohydrate a day, and wonder why we are still hungry after eating 3 cups of rice or 6 slices of bread?

Why has our rate of autism jumped from 1 in 10000 children in 1974, to 1 in 50 in 2014, where do you think it will be in another 40 years if it is escalating at this rate? This has grown rapidly since the guidelines have been in place!

Why is the rate of mental illness including dementia and Alzheimer's escalating at a frightening rate and we are told by the DAA and Heart Foudnation to avoid Saturated fat when this is what our brains need to survived and function properly.

Why as Nikki Fisher stated in her comment yesterday do we have a dietitian in Cape York where the incidence of diabetes, kidney failure and heart disease is so high in the aboriginal community, advising for them to stop eating bush food and would rather present them with white bread with margarine and red cordial?

Why do the DAA and The Heart Foundation think the Paleo Way of life is so dangerous?

Grace you are more than entitled to your opinion and I am sure you are not alone in your assumption, but I do want to thank you and also "The Heart Foundation" and the spokespersons from "DAA" as you all have ignited a spark that has been inside me, which is now a raging fire in my belly. I am usually peaceful, however the warrior in me is now ready for what's next. I am standing up for myself as I value WHO I AM and I refuse to have this type of hatred on my page. I am seeing things very clearly though my eyes now, and at times in my life I haven't been focused or very clear of my lifes purpose, however I have a laser focus for what I want to achieve whilst I am on this journey in this body. My title as a chef and health coach does not define me, being a father and a human being, who believes WE ARE ALL EQUAL and a being full of LOVE is what defines me.

I think we will start this fight with "The Heart Foundation" and their "TICK" to show you what can be achieved by a focussed f@#$wit, and other concerned parents and community members. Also my sights are set on the DAA and their continual backing of the "healthy eating guide" which may be the biggest con that has even been put on a population which influences schools, childcare centres, hospitals, aged care homes...this needs to be addressed for our kids and the future generations and I have no delusion that this will happen overnight and we have been chipping away slowly at this, but now, hand me the bloody sledgehammer.
    This is a multi generational goal that my team and I have, and we are committed to it, and we will stand tall in the face of adversity with whoever is willing to stand next to us. Remember we are not extreme, just informed and passionate.

I would like to let everyone know that I personally do read each and every comment that people write on my page (I do not have a team that do this, it is just me... Nic my partner in life, sometimes comes along after I have posted something and fixes my grammar...thanks angel, I love you x).

So thank you to everyone that have in the past taken the time to comment to a recipe or to a question that I have asked. It really does make me feel that I am on the right path and I will do my best to keep sharing delicious recipes and interesting information...I have over 300 health professionals from different fields about to share their amazing success stories of their patients and their own stories, through the elimination of certain foods and embracing the ones we talk about on this page.
    I do apologise that I don't answer every question that is asked of me as you don't probably don't from me too , as I respect that WE all need a healthy life balance with family, work and for ourselves.)

What we eat and give to our children is the greatest threat to humanity, it is also connected to how our food is produced which has a profound effect on our planet, which is our future.

Please share amongst your tribe as you have the power to help shape the future of this amazing country and point it in a heather direction than where we are currently headed.

WHO IS IN?

I thought I would share this dangerous dish below again to make sure people understand what the spokespeople from DAA and Heart foundation say is dangerous and wont give you enough fibre or give you beri beri! I wonder how much it would cost to get a "tick" on the salad?

PS. This post is not a beat up on dietitians as there are so many caring ones out there and I have invited them to post their own success stories on this page in the coming months. However the DAA spokespeople and their CEO is very vocal about the paleo movement, so perhaps the dietitians that are frustrated with what their spokespeople are saying should create a group themselves so they are represented how they want to be. Just a thought.

I am not trying to convert people to a paleo lifestyle, however I do love sharing the recipes that we love to eat. I do want people to make conscious and wise food choices about their food no matter what philosophy they have on food or life. However if anyone is wanting to read a comprehensive and well researched book on paleo, then I recommend Nora Gedgaudas "Primal Body, Primal Mind." It is what I believe to be the strongest book so far on the this topic and a great base to build upon, and it is the book that made so much common sense to me after such a long time looking for answers.
    If you want to know why the the food pyramid is a tomb (well we call it a healthy eating guide now) then read Denise Mingers book "Death By Food Pyramid".
    And then their is "GAPS" by Dr Natasha Mcbride that every parent should read for a wealth of information on gut health for children to start with.
    Once you are empowered with this information and if you choose to implement parts of the lifestyle, then I can pretty well guarantee that you will never look at food the same way again. It's s about learning to understand what works for your body and find that definitive moment and start to trust your own choices for your own body!

Lastly, Nic and I have are donating the last $20000 to make the crowd funding study into PCOS a reality, over the next 12 months they are doing a study o test the paleo diet on woman with PCOS done by the medical professors at the USCF in San Francisco. Stay tuned for more on this in the coming year."
  • nickymaire
    nickymaire Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    ^^ I :heart: Paleo Pete .
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    That was a great read! Thanks for sharing so that I can follow Pete Evans.

The ONLY thing dangerous about Paleo is the potential loss of PROFITS that so many corporations fear. Of course they are going to fight back with any means they have, MONEY, media, propaganda, lies (industry funded "science"), and corruption (influencing/funding government and other organizations).
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    That was a great read! Thanks for sharing so that I can follow Pete Evans.

The ONLY thing dangerous about Paleo is the potential loss of PROFITS that so many corporations fear. Of course they are going to fight back with any means they have, MONEY, media, propaganda, lies (industry funded "science"), and corruption (influencing/funding government and other organizations).

Yes, I do believe big organisations and the money makers fear Paleo. Why else would it concern them? On Pete's Facebook page he posted a video showing another fear mongering story on a local channel about the PALEO WAY of life. In it were two amazingly healthy looking children eating whole pieces of cucumber and sliced fennel and in the video I saw last week they showed all the beautiful food that is the Paleo way of life. Most parents only dream of their children eating all of this and are happy to see them eat an apple occasionally.

I must admit I am a little annoyed. All this healthy eating stuff used to be "my thing" and over the years I have copped a lot of flack and labelled "our little offbeat alternative friend." I never had a name for my way of life before and used to believe deep in my soul that food was our medicine and when ill look to nature first for a cure. Little did I know I was following Paleo all this time and didn't know it. Now all my friends seem to be jumping on the bandwagon and telling me about this wonderful new trend and preaching "my thing" back to me. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!! Annoying!!
  • HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Those stats about the changes in Australian's health - especially children - are frightening. Thank you for sharing this. As sad as it is to hear about the Standard American Diet infecting another country, it's great to know people are aware and fighting back.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Those stats about the changes in Australian's health - especially children - are frightening. Thank you for sharing this. As sad as it is to hear about the Standard American Diet infecting another country, it's great to know people are aware and fighting back.

What really enrages me is to see how SAD is still pushed so hard on hunter/gatherer societies. They are still told that their traditional diet is "unhealthy" (especially if they are already sick/fat from too much colonist foods) and that the processed foods at the store are "healthy". The health problems that result are shocking and heart-breaking, especially as the children suffer most, but everyone stands around scratching their heads, research projects are initialized that are completely designed to ask the wrong questions... It's been known for a VERY long time what is wrong with modern diets and what is right with hunter/gatherer diets (Dr. Price was just one of MANY!) that I can see no other reason for the incorrect information being pushed so hard. It's by design.

It can only be intentional that hunter/gatherers and the average folk of all races are being targeted for a form of genocide (imo, sickening us, weakening our future generations, dumbing us down)... except it's designed for a slow death in order to maximize profits. If we died too quick that would also not be ideal, but living to 90 with illness for most of those years? What a way to maximize profits via drugs, medical procedures, food addictions, the need for ever more consumer junk.... etc.
  • welderftw
    Options
    I too am shaking my head in disbelief. It really is hard to take the mass media seriously with all the negativity and incorrect data floating around. Seems like the media always wants to discredit anything successful and positive with some study from a suspect group. The diet has been a lifesaver for me and is really frustrating hearing these kinds of remarks from the media. From now on, will put on my blinders and will just keep truckin ahead!!