Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• Stanlee202
    Stanlee202 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Oh-I see. I've been doing a sprint/jog instead of jog/walk for week one. It's working for me so far. I'll check out week 10 for my next run though to see what it's all about. Either way I'm out there, getting fit, strong and having fun, and really that's what counts, right? (W1D3 done!)
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! Good to know I'm on the right path-I just started up zen labs 10k program-the first 9 weeks are exactly like c25k, so I decided to start from scratch instead of where c25k left off, and pick up the pace :)

My point was more, that you'll make quicker progress just doing the 5K-10K portion.

5K distance doesn't give you a sound basis to benefit from trying to increase pace.

I made my biggest pace improvements on the 5K-10K distance transition and the 10K to HM distance transition.

+1 for this. I took 3 mins out of my 5k run 32:22 to 29:19, by spending 5 weeks doing weeks 9-13 of C210k zenlabs. Weeks 1-8 are the same as C25k. Have fun and enjoy it, whatever approach you take
  • DesertStar86
    DesertStar86 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Went out last night for W9D3 but decided to see how far I could go rather than time (disappointing mistake). I ran for 28 minutes and covered 3.4k. I left the app on to see just how much further it would be to go the full 5k... Well - it's far, very far!

I think I'm gonna ignore distance for now and move straight on to a 10k timed program. Maybe once a week I will stick a straight 30min/5k in to see how and if it's improving...
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    It will come, everyone will improve at their own natural pace. For me the critical success factors are rest, more rest, going slow enough to hold a conversation, not overdoing it ( leading to enforced rest), did I mention rest?

Have fun with it, it is challenging but also supposed to be enjoyable.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    W5D2 done!
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    W5D2 done!
    Me too! Just did W5D2. Was so tired after work that barely moved my feet, but still finished :)
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Week 8 Day 3 done. Three more days at 30 minutes and then I run a 5k next Saturday.
  • jsandie76
    jsandie76 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    W7D2 Done! Tonight was the first night that I didn't want to die at the end of my run. I started a "learn to run clinic" last week and this week's session was all about finding your pace and working in your zone (heart rate monitor) and I used that tonight without the heart rate monitor. At the end of my run I was TIRED, but it wasn't horrible! I know I am going REALLY slow (average run pace is 13.30/mile) but that's fine with me.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Finding your own rhythm is really important, I am glad that it is working out for you. Keep going, going to a running clinic sounds serious, you clearly have caught the bug. :laugh:
  • ejdp254
    ejdp254 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Got to do W9D1 last night, full 30 mins, no problem - could have carried on but it was getting dark and had the boys with me. Would not have believed at the start we'd have got this far!!
  • TowsonChuck
    TowsonChuck Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    W6D2 Done this morning. Stopped driving to the flat trail that I have been running, and just started running the neighborhood. The hills made a HUGE difference in difficulty. Still finished each run, but it was noticeably harder this time through. Which is a good thing. Looking forward to the long run on W6D3 on Sunday.
  • aevonvett
    aevonvett Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Week 1 Day 1 complete! About halfway through I realized why I needed a COUCH to 5K running plan, but it felt great to finish :)

Awesome! Keep it up!
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    W7D2 Done! Tonight was the first night that I didn't want to die at the end of my run. I started a "learn to run clinic" last week and this week's session was all about finding your pace and working in your zone (heart rate monitor) and I used that tonight without the heart rate monitor. At the end of my run I was TIRED, but it wasn't horrible! I know I am going REALLY slow (average run pace is 13.30/mile) but that's fine with me.

13:30/mile is faster than me. I'm having trouble getting through W6D3 right now. Fourth attempt is on Saturday.
  • RedfootDaddy
    RedfootDaddy Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    About to head out to redo Week 1 - I don't want to move on until I can actually do all the intervals without dropping back to a walk.
  • SamNicoll
    SamNicoll Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Moved on to W3/D1 today and realised that I'm doing a 12-week plan rather than a 9-week plan but I'm in no rush.

The prospect of ever running for a full 30 mins seems rather improbable from here - a paradigm shift for me - but I am surrendered to just following the program, one week at a time.

Sam
  • ejdp254
    Options
    Bit by bit the programme will get you there, seems like magic to me but I'm proof it works!
  • Ishii19
    Ishii19 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hey runners - w7d2 done-zo :) I really like reading this thread! This is my first time posting. I have a question for you guys - what do you do for a stitch in your side when running? I got it in the last five minutes of my last two runs - I just keep running but it doesn't go away - actually when I get to cool down it gets worse for a minute or two before it finally subsides. I am running at a very comfortable pace for me - probably about 4-4.2mph and I could definitely carry on a conversation. I do nerdfitness beginner routine once or twice a week, so I'm building my core, and I try to remain conscious of engaging my core and maintaining good posture as I run. Is the stitch just something that happens randomly and you deal with it? Is there a way to breathe or move while running to ease it? Could I prevent somehow - maybe I shouldn't drink water for awhile before the run or something?
    Sorry so long - thanks for your help! You all are doing great - so inspiring :)
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Got to do W9D1 last night, full 30 mins, no problem - could have carried on but it was getting dark and had the boys with me. Would not have believed at the start we'd have got this far!!
    Awesome. I run w5d1 tomorrow morning. Are you getting close to the 5k distance? I don't think I'll make it in 30 minutes, but I should be close.
  • madierdorf
    madierdorf Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hi all, W8D3 done:-) , My running is 14:15 1.97 miles. Total time 38 min. I will be in my 1st 5 K the Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving. By then will be doing C210 K. My goal is just to finish the race. Total miles at 2.59.:-) :-) .
  • ejdp254
    Options
    Upsaluki, not sure about distance, I'll try and measure tonight as the ap doesn't tell me so I have to take my ipod and a phone, one for the C25K and one for map my run!