Stopping bioidenticals- bear with me

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Day 28. And so far so good. I even think my family would agree it's going well. :laugh:

No migraines. Limited bloating. No hot flashes. Limited night sweats (the last two nights). My primary complaint has been a week of sore boobs.

I sorta feel like a period may be approaching, but these days who knows (could explain the night sweats).

And, yes, the scale has ticked down a bit again. The thing I notice most about the scale is that my old pre-peri "trends" are returning there too (just as with a few other things). I can reliably predict my morning weight will be 2LBS less than my evening weight.

So, if things don't get dramatically worse, I'll keep this up for a while and see where it goes. But it's been about a month now since I've had NONE, and about 1.5 months since I had a therapeutic dose.

Anyway, cheers!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Yep. I got my period again (that's twice this month). I started this one 4.5LBS lighter than the last one while using the bio-identicals. And just a pound or two from my preferred "period weight". So I'd say, yes, the bios did cause at least a few pounds on the scale.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Now at about 6 weeks out. Still no intolerable symptoms this time around. Perhaps (knocks on woods) some of the worst of those symptoms are behind me? Who knows. But for now, I think I'll stay off the bio-identical progesterone and estriol and see how things feel. cheers
  • chachadeb
    chachadeb Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the update....I've lost the few lbs I gained once I started the bio-identicals...and I still feel much better than I did before. Wait and see here.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Thank you for the update....I've lost the few lbs I gained once I started the bio-identicals...and I still feel much better than I did before. Wait and see here.
    Wait and see! It seems to be our motto these years. :happy:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    It's been two months now.
    I had another period, of sorts (about 2.5 days long, pretty light). I had NO PMS or other symptoms and didn't know it was coming til it was here. That's unusual.

Other wise, my symptoms have been minimal. I find this fascinating, since I obviously had some pretty big ones when I was starting the bio-identicals!

The weight has stabilized, back where it was before the "mones" more or less.
  • sheilarosella
    sheilarosella Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am starting with some very intense hot flashes and night sweats and headaches and dizziness was thinking of looking into bioidenticals. My question for you is would you have taken them if you knew then what you know now about your experience with them.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I am starting with some very intense hot flashes and night sweats and headaches and dizziness was thinking of looking into bioidenticals. My question for you is would you have taken them if you knew then what you know now about your experience with them.
    Absolutely. At the time, they were just what I needed. And may be again in the future.

While I would NEVER take BCP etc. again, I would do the bioidenticals again in a heart beat. In fact, I still have mine, and took them along on my last trip, just in case.
  • sheilarosella
    sheilarosella Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. At the time, they were just what I needed. And may be again in the future.

While I would NEVER take BCP etc. again, I would do the bioidenticals again in a heart beat. In fact, I still have mine, and took them along on my last trip, just in case.
    thank you
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I am fast approaching 3 months without the bio-identicals.

I'm spending the next while considering what to do. While I enjoyed the few pounds that fell off (water, likely), the last few weeks I've had just horrible exhaustion. My job has gone a little nuts (out of my control). Hubs thinks it's that, but I just don't know. I'm also cranky, but again, he chalks that up to work. Especially given my insomnia.

Periods have been somewhat more "regular" in terms of timing. PMS is still somewhat less than in my youth, but I'm so danged tired.

Migraines now seem to be just as they were. Sleep as well.

so I'm going to spend some time pondering whether to re-add the progesterone or both. My gut is saying just the progesterone, if anything...

cheers!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Started back on and the crushing fatigue is diminishing. It's interesting. I felt fine for a couple of months and then BAM.
    So, I'm slowly heading back to the dose I was at, and going to stay there for a while. Then check back in with my naturopath.

Oh, and yes, the scale went up a couple. But that was to be expected.

Cheers!
  • Ladylouwolf
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your journey! Still in the learning stages, yikes:-P
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your journey! Still in the learning stages, yikes:-P
    Thanks. It's a constant learning process!
  • chachadeb
    chachadeb Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! I started Vivelle patch and progesterone (naturo thinks it was higher dose than I needed) a few months ago and I went off both this week. Naturo is ordering Biest topical cream from a compounding pharmacy and said it would be a lower dose. Wondering if I will drop a few lbs.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! I started Vivelle patch and progesterone (naturo thinks it was higher dose than I needed) a few months ago and I went off both this week. Naturo is ordering Biest topical cream from a compounding pharmacy and said it would be a lower dose. Wondering if I will drop a few lbs.
    Good luck!
  • cinnamon009
    cinnamon009 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Started back on and the crushing fatigue is diminishing. It's interesting. I felt fine for a couple of months and then BAM.
    So, I'm slowly heading back to the dose I was at, and going to stay there for a while. Then check back in with my naturopath.

Cheers!
    The fatigue was the reason I went onto HRT in the first place. It was unlike any tiredness I have felt before. Sleep didn't ease it - my whole body felt heavy and everything was an effort. Unfortunately, in the UK bio-identical progesterone is hard to come by - my doc didn't know of any licensed here for NHS use. The private BHRT docs are few and far between so charge a fortune (£500 for a hormone test, £260 for a first consultation and then £100 for the first prescription).

I'm struggling through with the synthetic progesterone but none seem to suit me so far. Was also thinking of stopping but the thought of that fatigue again really put me off and your experience has reinforced that thought.

Will go back to docs and keep battling for different progesterones. If anyone is in the UK and managed to get bio Progesterone recently on the NHS give me a shout. Has anyone tried teeny amounts of Testosterone too for energy?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Cheers!
    The fatigue was the reason I went onto HRT in the first place. It was unlike any tiredness I have felt before. Sleep didn't ease it - my whole body felt heavy and everything was an effort. Unfortunately, in the UK bio-identical progesterone is hard to come by - my doc didn't know of any licensed here for NHS use. The private BHRT docs are few and far between so charge a fortune (£500 for a hormone test, £260 for a first consultation and then £100 for the first prescription).

I'm struggling through with the synthetic progesterone but none seem to suit me so far. Was also thinking of stopping but the thought of that fatigue again really put me off and your experience has reinforced that thought.

Will go back to docs and keep battling for different progesterones. If anyone is in the UK and managed to get bio Progesterone recently on the NHS give me a shout. Has anyone tried teeny amounts of Testosterone too for energy?
    A couple of years ago, my luggage was lost, with my prescription in it (dumb me). My doc sent a script to a pharmacy in the UK who was able to prescribe http://www.drugs.com/mtm/crinone.html for me, as I was going to BE in the UK for 2 months. My body tolerated that pretty well.
  • stacwest
    stacwest Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How are you doing now? I just started the bio identical 2 weeks ago...I am really disappointed to read that you put on some weight when you started them and did I understand that you felt your bloat was worse on them than off? My saliva test should my progestrone was almost non existent and I am in adrenal failure...my weight has crept up 30 lbs in last year...my night sweats and hot flashes are what drove me to the doc finally, I was nuts with them...my emotions are everywhere (even though I have had some life changes that are also responsible) I have suffered with bloating for 3-4 years...I can waked with flat belly and by early evening I look 7 months preggo and swear I will get stretch marks...and in the last 6 months what was muscular has turned squishy...I am hating this time of life! any advice would be awesome...
    I am on progestrone & estridol....but my testostrone was also low
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    stacwest wrote: »
    How are you doing now? I just started the bio identical 2 weeks ago...I am really disappointed to read that you put on some weight when you started them and did I understand that you felt your bloat was worse on them than off? My saliva test should my progestrone was almost non existent and I am in adrenal failure...my weight has crept up 30 lbs in last year...my night sweats and hot flashes are what drove me to the doc finally, I was nuts with them...my emotions are everywhere (even though I have had some life changes that are also responsible) I have suffered with bloating for 3-4 years...I can waked with flat belly and by early evening I look 7 months preggo and swear I will get stretch marks...and in the last 6 months what was muscular has turned squishy...I am hating this time of life! any advice would be awesome...
    I am on progestrone & estridol....but my testostrone was also low

In the end I've re-added the progesterone. And that's been good.
    Your symptoms sound worse than mine. Goodness! I hope you find some relief!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Cheers!

In the end (well, for now), I'm back on the progesterone, but not the estrogen.
    And I'm trying to really focus on eating right for this stage of life. I was so danged tired, and had stopped sleeping. That's getting better.