Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    upsaluki wrote: »
    Second to last day of c25k today. Completed 5k in the horicon national refuge 5k today in 29:23.

Congrats! That's a great time! (One of these days I'll get a 5k in under 30 minutes!)

• Just_Ceci
    Options
    I completed W2D1 today. I couldn't believe how much harder that extra 30 seconds made it. At the 10 minute mark I thought I was going to have to stop early and try again another day. But slowly I found the time passing and once I got to the last 10 minutes I wasn't willing to give up until the end. The cool down felt like a blessing. :smiley:

I am excited though that I feel like one day running may be possible.

As the length of time you are asked to run increases, you may have to slow down to be able to complete it. Remember you should be running at a conversational pace. Keep at it, you can do this!

• snbouchard81
    snbouchard81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    ftr--Currently I am working on a treadmill because the gym has childcare which is awesome. Given the opportunity though, I prefer running outside. And I agree when I have run outside I don't clock watch nearly as much.

Congrats upsaluki! That is an awesome time!
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    W6D3 done! Went to a nice park today and ran around a lake :) Beautiful weather and great run!
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    Second to last day of c25k today. Completed 5k in the horicon national refuge 5k today in 29:23.
    Great time! Congratulations! :)

• jsandie76
    jsandie76 Posts: 201 Member
    Options

Wow upsaluki that is wonderful! Tomorrow, hubby and I start the final week of C25K. I couldn't imagine finishing a 5K in less than 30mins yet! Are you going to continue on to C210K?
  • jsandie76
    jsandie76 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    W8D1 Complete! Today's run wasn't as good as my previous runs this week. I am not sure if its because I was quite chilly, because I ran on an empty stomach (first thing in the morning), or because I was running without music. Either way I look forward to my next run and doing better.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Saturday was W6D3 for me. But instead, I ran a local 4K (2.4m) color run. And yes, I ran the entire thing!

It was kinda funny b/c there were 2 woman who would run, then walk, and I'd slowly catch up them and pass them, then they would "sprint" ahead of me about 20 yards and start walking again. I would slowly overtake them and they would run off ahead again. This happened several times; finally after about the 5th time, the quit trying to run ahead of me. The story of the tortoise and the hare comes to mind.

FWIW, I finished in 37:40. My goal was to make in 40min or less. Next Saturday is another color run, this time 5K. I hope to make it in under 40min.
  • snbouchard81
    snbouchard81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    congrats caili on running the 4K! That is awesome. I am not sure what to say about the two ladies that seemed determined to stay two steps ahead but hey whatever works for them. I walked a 5K with a friend last year and we had some people who said they were using us as their pacers so they would run ahead and then walk until we almost caught up and then run again. It almost sounds like that--but not quite. :smile:
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I'm repeating Week 4 this week. Started off strong last week... Then didn't pace myself and tried to run up a big hill and ended up not finishing. I think I need to stick to flatter surfaces for now!!

I'm also doing The Walking Dead fitness challenge, so I'll be adding in some yoga and body weight exercises as part of my mandatory strength training. :)
  • TowsonChuck
    TowsonChuck Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Finished Week 7 Day 3 on Sunday, went well, my pace was good, I felt a bit sluggish around the half way point, I chalk this up to not having any fuel in me (food) . Starting Week 8D1 this evening, after work assuming there isn't any rain.

If there is I will start it tomorrow morning. Will be sure to fuel up before hand. With graduation in sight, I do have a 5k planned but not until December, should I plan one for end of the month /November, or go right into the 10k training program? thoughts? I am interested in getting an "official" time.
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the nice comments everyone. I made a few mistakes at my first race. I got caught up in running an 8:30 pace the first mile and kind of went with it even though I knew I couldn't maintain it. I faded badly on the last mile.

The other thing I didn't do was try to run at the faster pace at least once in the weeks building up to the race. I was pretty beat afterwards.
  • upsaluki
    Options
    @jsandie76 Great work. You're really closing in on completing it. If I don't have my headphones I'm doomed

@Calliope610 That sounds like fun. I was passed by a gentleman I dubbed "skinny Walter Cronkite" in the last mile and he became my instant hero. He just kept chugging at the same pace and passed a few others too. He placed in the 60 and older category at the awards ceremony.

@TowsonChuck I'd head right into the 10K program and run you're 5k if there aren't any available till then. The 10K training should make you're 5k seem easier. I'm going to start the 5 to 10 k this week. I'm going to sign up for a Turkey Trot in November too. Maybe they have one of those in you're area too. I find races at this website:

• MamaGab92
    MamaGab92 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm supposed to do W8D1 this evening after work, but it is pouring down rain. I don't have access to a treadmill. Sigh. Forecast says it is going to rain through Thursday. This really cramps my plans!
  • TowsonChuck
    TowsonChuck Posts: 65 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @mamagab92 , I'd say a treadmill actually hurts you, yeah you can do it and it works. But you don't want to do it really. If you've been running outdoors, stay with it, a treadmill is super easy and doesn't give you the same challenge as running outdoors.

@upsaluki Good Idea. I know there are some local Halloween Runs, and Turkey Trot. A Turkey Trot would be a nice motivation to keep the pounds down that week. I am going to go right into to the 10k program, after a week "off" (meaning I am going to run a few times at the 5k distance, while doing some other cardio as well)

CHECKIN:

W8D1 DONE! 28 minutes of running non-stop. Ran 2.85 miles in the 28 minute run, Pace 9:49/mile. Not trying to push, just letting my body move at a pace that feels comfortable. Feeling Good. Big steps since the struggles of jogging 60 seconds at a clip in week 1.

56278952.png
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    This is my first post on this thread, but I'll definitely be coming back :)

I've been using the 5K101 podcast rather than the actual C25K but the concept is the same. Today I ran W8D2 so 30 minutes in a row. Holy Cow! I'm honestly in a bit of shock. When I started 11 weeks ago (yeah, I had to repeat a couple of the weeks), I couldn't run 45 seconds in a row. The fact that I ran 30 minutes today at an average of 8:02 per kilometer puts me over the moon!

My first race is the second Saturday in November. I can't wait!
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    MamaGab92 wrote: »
    I'm supposed to do W8D1 this evening after work, but it is pouring down rain. I don't have access to a treadmill. Sigh. Forecast says it is going to rain through Thursday. This really cramps my plans!

I love running in the rain, as long as there's no lightning!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    W7D1 smashed! This running *kitten* is getting easier and easier!! Running at a slow 3.5-3.7mph on the treadmill, but I can run for 40-50min now NO PROBLEM. The speed will increase with time, so I'm not worried at all.
  • upsaluki
    Options
    I completed my week 9 day 3 run for C25K. Covered 2.77 miles in the 30 minutes. Heading right on to the 5 to 10K plan on the Run Double app This Thursday. Hard to think that I'll be up to running an hour in six more weeks. Can't wait for it.

@mamaGab92 I know what you're saying. I was rained out yesterday and went for a morning run to beat today's rain.

@TowsonChuck That's a pretty good pace. I only managed a 10:51 pace in my final thirty minute run today.

@jessiruthica Great work. I've always wondered how the podcasts work. If I don't listen to music, I usually do a book on tape.
  • Nutmegzz
    Nutmegzz Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Wow Way to go all of you. I started running and loved it.. but some how stopped and didnt find the motivation to get back into it.. THANK YOU for giving me that motivation.. Tonight its time for W1D1 again... Im Looking for friends to chat with Add me if you like!