Now that we are back, how is everybody doing?

Options
mwhite61451
mwhite61451 Posts: 209 Member
Thanks for getting us back up again. I'm on my 3rd day, and so far so good. Have lost 5 lbs since Weds! Biggest change is I don't eat anything after 7 or 8 at I don't start eating until 16 hours elapse. I'm doing this in conjunction with the Whole30 regimen, and seems to be working for me. First thing that has worked in several months.

Replies

• chiccam
    chiccam Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Great job! I just started back up last week and lost 2 lbs.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Back on track. I was overtraining and undereating too much. Too eager in september. It led to a couple of weeks where I snacked too much and kept rescheduling FD...

Approaching week 6, feel better now. Will take more care to balance dieting and exercising. Reading Varady's book now to punch in the "why" and motivate me to FD. From a health perspective I understand that doing fasting is better for my insulin resistance, than just doing low intake.

Also experimenting with MORE healthy fats. Avocado, nuts, nut butters, sesame and olive oil...yum!

I'm officially back to healthy BMI range at 24,8. 5:2 is the ONLY reason I've managed to come down from "obese" status.

Edit: If any got good nut butters to recommend, I'm all ears!
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    There are bad tasting nut butters? :smile: Grind up nuts and I am there!

Glad you are back on track Foamroller.
  • bangersnmash1990
    Options
    Hi,

I wasn't part of the first group but hope you don't mind me joining this one. I am on my second week now and my third fasting day. I have lost 3lbs that I gained over the last few months and an extra 1lb (though I am sure some is water weight).

What is your go-to meal on a fast day?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I had a good week last week - 2 back to back fast days on Monday and Tuesday.

- More important to me is overall health and fitness, so I was delighted when I ran Saturday's parkrun in a new best time, and thrilled to bits when chatting to someone afterwards who told me she'd been admiring me the week before, thinking "gosh she's so fit!" I told her that hearing that on the eve of my 53rd birthday was just priceless.

- I did my usual 10k run on Sunday, and I normally weigh myself after that. It's my lowest weight during the week, so it's a consistent measuring point. And it was down under 132 pounds, which is rather good.

- Go-to fast day meals are usually based around fish and veg, with lots of spices. Think tom-yum soup, prawn stirfry with no noodles, steamed sea bass with asparagus. This week I will be trying Gok Wan's steamed pork dumplings, made with wrappers of Chinese cabbage leaves.
  • orlcam
    orlcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Congrats to everyone...especially you Melanie, and Happy Birthday!

Since July 29th I am down 40.8 lbs (3 lbs last week).

This week will be the true test...I completely blew it out this weekend. It was the first time I went over my TDEE since starting 5:2, and I did it twice (Saturday & Sunday). Sunday was almost double...oh my, what a hedonistic orgy of cheesy Italian delights (and chocolate)!

Up almost 13 lbs since Friday's weigh-in. Can I still make it a 2 lb (loss) week? ...we shall see.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Thanks for reuniting the fasters!

I'm one of the 'older' 5:2ers. Started in May 2013. I've lost 29kg one year and have been working on my last 3-4kg since May 2014 :p I haven't been quite as strict and have been 'jojoing' between 57-58kg, though my goal is 54-55kg.

At the moment I'm recuperating from a very necessary breast lift operation on Oct. 1st, thus no exercise until late November (except walking). All is going well and I am VERY happy, I went through with it. Looking forward to my first run, when I'm allowed to start again. The fasts will help me stay on track. I'm happy maintaining until the end of the year. Then I will be able to increase my exercise again and hopefully lose those last few.

In any case my fast days have given me a great tool to control and maintain my weight. Along with that, colds and headaches also seem to be a thing of the past. I am even healthier since I started with the fasts :D
  • Foamroller
    edited October 2014
    Options

- Go-to fast day meals are usually based around fish and veg, with lots of spices. Think tom-yum soup, prawn stirfry with no noodles, steamed sea bass with asparagus. This week I will be trying Gok Wan's steamed pork dumplings, made with wrappers of Chinese cabbage leaves.

Agree, fish! I make a fish soup in 15-20 mins with onion, celery, parsley, garlic, bay leaf and red pepper flakes. I cheat with Knorr fish stock cubes, though. Lower heat, put in 1 frozen premium cod loin (130 g) for about 9.30-10 mins to heat up until the fish is perfectly flaky. Eat at once!

The soup alone is about 100 kcal plus the fish 100 kcal. The base of onion and celery can easily be adjusted with other or more vegs or other proteins/stock cubes. Very flexible. Even tried with beets yesterday with success.

If you're out of ideas for FD and need inspiration, search "5:2" in Pinterest. TONS of recipes:)

• jemimasmum
    jemimasmum Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    After whinging about no progress 10 days ago, the scales have deigned to register a loss. 2lbs this week. Also need to ckeck some measurements as there was a woman with a curvy waist in the mirror today. I am comfortable with this eating pattern so I need to be patient as it seems I'm a tortoise rather than a hare. Still hoping I can shift 10 lbs by my 50th at the end of the year.
  • Tiamo719
    Tiamo719 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I had 600 calories on my 500 day :'(
  • Tiamo719
    Options
    jemimasmum wrote: »
    After whinging about no progress 10 days ago, the scales have deigned to register a loss. 2lbs this week. Also need to ckeck some measurements as there was a woman with a curvy waist in the mirror today. I am comfortable with this eating pattern so I need to be patient as it seems I'm a tortoise rather than a hare. Still hoping I can shift 10 lbs by my 50th at the end of the year.

When's your bday? I will be 50 December 16.
  • Tiamo719
    Options
    Hi,

I wasn't part of the first group but hope you don't mind me joining this one. I am on my second week now and my third fasting day. I have lost 3lbs that I gained over the last few months and an extra 1lb (though I am sure some is water weight).

Soup. Grilled veggies (I buy them frozen). I can eat a whole bowl of them for 60 calories!

• EmmaOnTrack
    EmmaOnTrack Posts: 425 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Hi,

smoothy made with coconut water, banana and blueberries for lunch (or a two egg omelette with ham) and a piece of fish or chicken with veges/salad for tea. Still leaves me room for an Atkins chocolate hazelnut crisp bar for a snack and a scoop of ice cream for dessert!

Very easily maintained so far. o:)

• jemimasmum
    jemimasmum Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Tiamo719 wrote: »

29th Dec. guess I'll need to do it before Christmas or have a frugal festive season!
  • angela233Z
    angela233Z Posts: 312 Member
    Options

wow - finally found my bday twin. I will be 50 on Dec 16!!!!
  • snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I have requested that the members on the other 5:2 group I create to join up here because it appears that this group works best for everyone who were on the old one. Its best if we are all together.

Update on my progress...

So Sunday was my 6th week weigh in and I was looking forward to a great end to my 6 week challenge, however to my dismay I had gained and gained big (almost to start weight!!). And what surprised me the most is just the Wednesday before (right after my fast days) I weighed at my lowers yet. Let's just say I was a little more then down in the dumps...plus the site was down and I couldn't rant about my depression.

Well...the main thing is that I haven't given up. I am starting another 6th week challenge for myself (I do better with these little goals) and I have decided to move my weigh-in day to Wednesdays which is right after my fast days and although those weights tend to be lower, I am more encouraged by them.

I have weighed myself everyday since Sunday and I do have to say my weight has gone back down...

Sunday: 175.2
    Monday: 173.9
    Tuesday: 171.7

I don't think I will quite make it down to 169.3 last Wednesday, but hopefully I get close.
  • Tiamo719
    Options
    angela233Z wrote: »

wow - finally found my bday twin. I will be 50 on Dec 16!!!!

I knew I liked you!!!!! <3

• Foamroller
    Options
    I'm making a new FD recipe thread. So we can have this as a progress, rants and raves thread only:)
  • Foamroller
    Options

Good news! Congrats:) I think it's important to shake things up a bit or reassess the current eating protocol when stalled. Sometimes it can be just minor changes to make the scales move again:)

• loveswalking
    loveswalking Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    snaps27: One thing I have noticed that after a big gain if I get right back on track to fasting the weight comes off fast. That's why I never give up. :)