Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    Did my W8D3 run today and it was terrible. I started great, did slightly over 2 miles in 20 minutes and then suddenly felt sharp pain under my ribs on the right. Walked for the 20 more minutes - tried to start running few times, but every time had to stop :(
    I ate a lot of sweets earlier today - cookies, waffles, cakes, but it was 3-4 hours before I ran. Could this be a problem? I have a race next weekend and was planning to do two more 30 min runs this coming week before the race, but now I am concerned - what if I'll have the same problem again?
  • Aine8046
    Options
    Posted my graduation annoucement today. Yay! Amazingly I can now run 30 minutes in a row. Honestly, I'm a little shocked! To be honest, I still don't love running but I love the sense of accomplishment of having been for a run. This process/journey has given me unbelievable amounts of confidence. I never thought that my body was capable of running for 30 minutes. If it can do that, what else can it do?!?

Congratulations! Amazing result!
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Im starting w1d1 today! Wish me luck :)
    No luck needed. Just keep going at a pace that is comfortable for you and you'll be running 30 minutes before you know it. That said.. Good luck and have fun.

• upsaluki
    Options
    Aine8046 wrote: »
    Did my W8D3 run today and it was terrible. I started great, did slightly over 2 miles in 20 minutes and then suddenly felt sharp pain under my ribs on the right. Walked for the 20 more minutes - tried to start running few times, but every time had to stop :(
    I ate a lot of sweets earlier today - cookies, waffles, cakes, but it was 3-4 hours before I ran. Could this be a problem? I have a race next weekend and was planning to do two more 30 min runs this coming week before the race, but now I am concerned - what if I'll have the same problem again?
    I'd chalk it up to a freak occurrence. You should be fine next time out. How was your hydration?

• MamaGab92
    MamaGab92 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I did W8D2 last night. I also got my best "per minute" time so far! I ran 2 miles in just under 30 minutes. I know that's really slow compared to some people, but I RAN 30 MINUTES!! Woo hoo! I was so excited and proud of myself I was nearly in tears when the app told me to slow down and walk for the cool down. I have physically felt like a slug for over 20 years and now I'm a runner! One more run to go before graduation!
  • Aine8046
    Options
    MamaGab92 wrote: »
    I did W8D2 last night. I also got my best "per minute" time so far! I ran 2 miles in just under 30 minutes. I know that's really slow compared to some people, but I RAN 30 MINUTES!! Woo hoo! I was so excited and proud of myself I was nearly in tears when the app told me to slow down and walk for the cool down. I have physically felt like a slug for over 20 years and now I'm a runner! One more run to go before graduation!

Congrats!
  • upsaluki
    Options

Awesome! Reading that just made ME super happy, so it must be really great for you. Keep up the great work!

• upsaluki
    Options
    Ceci_O_K wrote: »

Thanks a good article. Especially for trying to stop one mid run.

• TowsonChuck
    TowsonChuck Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Going to start the 10k add-on tonight. Ran 3 times last week on my own. To be honest, I miss the "guided" program part.
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    Options

So good! That milestone is HUGE! Well done!
  • XX_Miss_RoseMary_XX
    XX_Miss_RoseMary_XX Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Did my w1d1 :) It was rough. I almost quit at the end but my husband really pushed me to keep going. I am SO proud of myself. I cant wait to go again.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Did my w1d1 :) It was rough. I almost quit at the end but my husband really pushed me to keep going. I am SO proud of myself. I cant wait to go again.
    Way to go getting started. You've crossed the first hurdle!

Don't forget to slow down!
  • upsaluki
    Options
    Great job!

• upsaluki
    Options
    Going to start the 10k add-on tonight. Ran 3 times last week on my own. To be honest, I miss the "guided" program part.
    I like the structure too. The 10 k add on has been pretty awesome so far, but it pushed me off my 5k trail and my shins are feeling it.

• snbouchard81
    snbouchard81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Since a couple of people mentioned cycling, I have been wondering if I could use the same interval training concepts in C25K to build up my endurance on a bike? It seems like it would work but I was wondering if anyone else had tried it?

I went to the gym tonight and went through a fitness test to see how much I had progressed in the month since I joined. I couldn't believe the difference. The heart rate test was so much better this time--and I know a big part of that comes from my work on C25K. :smile:

Congrats Jessi! You should be very proud of your accomplishment. I know before I found this program the dream of running seemed so far fetched, but hearing stories like yours have convinced me that one day I could be running for 30 minutes at a time. :smiley:
  • TowsonChuck
    Options
    I went to the gym tonight and went through a fitness test to see how much I had progressed in the month since I joined. I couldn't believe the difference. The heart rate test was so much better this time--and I know a big part of that comes from my work on C25K. :smile:

Congrats Jessi! You should be very proud of your accomplishment. I know before I found this program the dream of running seemed so far fetched, but hearing stories like yours have convinced me that one day I could be running for 30 minutes at a time. :smiley:

I don't know about cycling. I just wanted to say nice work on the fitness test. With effort it's amazing how much we can change in a small amount of time.
  • TowsonChuck
    Options
    upsaluki wrote: »
    I like the structure too. The 10 k add on has been pretty awesome so far, but it pushed me off my 5k trail and my shins are feeling it.

W9D1 (10k add on) in the books. It was tough, but manageable. Clocked 4.2 miles.

My biggest issue is finding a route to run. I get bored with my normal loops around the community. Yesterday I went a different route, while it was pretty nice. The hills on the way back were killer. I guess that's a bonus. Tomorrow with day 2, I will think out my route a little better. Though in my neighborhood it's going to involve some big hills anyway I look at it.
  • TowsonChuck
    edited October 2014
    Options
    upsaluki wrote: »

W9D1 (10k add on) in the books. It was tough, but manageable. Clocked 4.2 miles.

My biggest issue is finding a route to run. I get bored with my normal loops around the community. Yesterday I went a different route, while it was pretty nice. The hills on the way back were killer. I guess that's a bonus. Tomorrow with day 2, I will think out my route a little better. Though in my neighborhood it's going to involve some big hills anyway I look at it.

Side note... as a still big guy it's nice to see MapMyRun, and my HRM both reading over a 1000 calorie burn.

56278952.png
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Since a couple of people mentioned cycling, I have been wondering if I could use the same interval training concepts in C25K to build up my endurance on a bike? It seems like it would work but I was wondering if anyone else had tried it?

When I wanted to build up endurance on the bike, I just added more time on the bike. I was also running, so I would run 3 days a week, ride 3 days a week with at least one of the rides being an increasingly longer ride each week. This was all dependent on the weather, etc. Days that I couldn't get outside, I'd hit the gym. I went from riding an average of 10 miles per ride to a high of 77 miles in one day. Even though I'm not riding as much now, I can still knock out 40 miles in 3 hours and still have plenty of energy left.