Getting back on the Primal/Paleo horse

Options

Replies

• lujo321
    lujo321 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    What are everyone's thoughts on food logging? I have decided to baby-step my way back in and I have cut out all gluten grains since Monday. The only non-gluten grain I have had is some corn yesterday so I have been mostly grain free. I have been eating if I was hungry though to avoid caving in on grains I allowed myself to eat as much as I want otherwise. So far when logging my calories are way high and that seems to mess with my head. When I did a whole 30 last March I stopped logging because they don't want you counting calories. I know I am eating too many nuts and definitely need to figure out a better snack. I tried putting together my own little primal packs with jerky, nuts and dried fruit but they just seem to make me hungrier. Probably all the sugar from the dried fruit. Anyway that got off track. My question is really about logging. Does it help or hurt?
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Personally, I need to log. I can overdo it on ANY plan. If I don't log, I gain or stay the same. If I am faithful and truthful in logging, and do it ahead so it's like I check off what I planned to eat for the day, then I do better. If it causes you stress and obsession, though...then I wouldn't advise it because that is counter-productive as well. I have gotten past that and really use it more as a tool to reign myself in. If I go over, *SIGH* and get back to business.
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    Logging for me is unnecessary when I'm eating Primal, because I do a lower carb version and all I care about are the carbs, but I do weigh out foods that I can go overboard with, mainly nuts & seeds.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I tried not logging and it did not work for me so I got back into the MFP routine.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    There are no rules on what foods can be snacks so anything you eat for lunch, supper etc can also be snacks. Dried fruit and nuts on a regular basis definitely won't be helpful. I have two minds about logging: sometimes it helps when we are struggling and haven't achieved our best health or if we have issues with sticking to healthy foods. However, I think logging should eventually become unnecessary. I log less often now but I still need to when I have to address my carb intake. I'm far less concerned about calories because for me it's NOT calories in/calories out. It's the FOOD.

I think doing a Whole30, low carb style without logging is an excellent exercise. I'm not very likely to do another W30 (I have my own rules that I follow) but when I can get my carb addiction resolved once again I do plan to do a strict Paleo month with no logging. I'm not ready yet.
  • sarabeth624
    sarabeth624 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I undereat if I'm doing a strict paleo/whole 30. So I log. But, I agree, quality is most important.
  • lujo321
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I'm going to give up the logging for a few days and see if the crazy settles down. If not I can always pick it back up.
  • lujo321
    Options
    I have been getting back to paleo one category at a time. First gluten, then non-gluten grains, and this week sugar. I am on day 4 of no sugar. It started pretty good. Today I woke up feeling lousy with a headache and just so tired. I thought at first I was getting sick then I remembered it is probably carb flu. I got out of bed and took some ibuprofen and I feel better. It probably helped that I had some sweet potato for breakfast.

There have been a few slips along the way. Dinner two nights ago included some rice because my mother cooked and she forgot. I was too tired and hungry to fight it so I had a small serving and tried to pick out the chicken as best I could. Also on Sunday I went to book club. Book club is my monthly free day. My group really does it up and I always plan to eat whatever the hostess serves. Of course I ate some candy on Halloween which was officially before I gave up sugar but I really did better than I expected. My worst treat and I did plan it was some paleo margaritas my sister and I drank on Friday and Saturday. Super yummy and definitely worth it but way too much honey to be a regular occurrence,

So I guess most of these weren't actually slips as I planned them and they were worth it. Also I got right back to my regular plan as soon as they were over. A month ago I would have eaten poorly for weeks after a weekend like that. Friday and Saturday I really ate clean except for the Margaritas and some Halloween candy. Sunday I ate a clean breakfast before going to book club and I was so full when I got home I went to bed early without dinner. Monday I gave my daughter the last of the candy I had from Halloween without even cringing. I was ready to let it go.
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    It's important to treat every day as a new day - and the more days we complete without slippage will lead to lesser and lesser cravings.

I've come to the realization that most of the treats I used to love - just aren't all that good. Of course, I haven't put myself into the situation yet, of having a dessert I'd LOVE in front of me - like cheese-cake. that would be my kryptonite. In thinking about the holiday ahead, I don't think I'd have any problems turning away from a cake or pie... mashed potatoes might be another story...

I really will have to prepare myself for what and how many allowances I will make for Thanksgiving. (stuffing - definite no, mashed potatoes - yes?, pie - no; if I can make a grain-free dessert to bring there - yes) ...

It's just one day, one meal - I'm sure I will survive it and Friday will be a recovery zone and back to my regular broadcast-meal plan.

• cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    RoseyDgirl wrote: »
    It's important to treat every day as a new day - and the more days we complete without slippage will lead to lesser and lesser cravings.

I've come to the realization that most of the treats I used to love - just aren't all that good. Of course, I haven't put myself into the situation yet, of having a dessert I'd LOVE in front of me - like cheese-cake. that would be my kryptonite. In thinking about the holiday ahead, I don't think I'd have any problems turning away from a cake or pie... mashed potatoes might be another story...

I really will have to prepare myself for what and how many allowances I will make for Thanksgiving. (stuffing - definite no, mashed potatoes - yes?, pie - no; if I can make a grain-free dessert to bring there - yes) ...

It's just one day, one meal - I'm sure I will survive it and Friday will be a recovery zone and back to my regular broadcast-meal plan.

I am with you on this! Last week I had one thing I used to love those corn puff cheese balls! They were nasty and greasy! I didn't like them as much. I find myself having much more interest in potatoes and fruit than anything these days...so for Thanksgiving I will allow potatoes and fruit and then back to low carb! Yes, whole foods, but to me way too many carbs and I binge easily on them.
  • treatgirl
    treatgirl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am starting over as well. I lost a lot of weight in 2012 eating 80/20, but need a re-set, as about half has gone back on. In fact I started a Whole 30 yesterday. I do log, just because it helps keep me mindful about what I'm eating. So feel free to 'friend me'.
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Hi I too am jumping back on the paleo wagon. Day 7 whole 30. I have a lot of health problems and I am finally ready to commit to this lifestyle. I will be starting at bread explaining where I am at.
  • lujo321
    Options
    Ugh, Thanksgiving! I hadn't even begun to think of the food aspect yet. The biggest temptation I know will be my Nana's nut-bread. It only comes out at holidays so it is a real treat. I will have to see where I am mentally and physically when the time comes.

Welcome all you Whole30ers. I did one myself back in March and LOVED it. There were two things I wish I had done differently. First I felt so good at the end but I still felt like I would feel even better if I went a bit longer. I was doing it with another person though and she wanted to get through reintroductions by a certain date and so I didn't go longer but I wish I had. Listen to your body, if at the end of the 30 days you want to go longer than do it. Second, please do the reintroductions, that is where I really learned the most and some of it really surprised me. I do recommend you give yourself longer between food groups though. Especially if you do react badly to something. I had a BAD reaction to gluten and the two days of clean eating before the next reintroduction was not enough to fully recover. Even some of my milder reactions could have benefitted from more time between food groups. If I was doing it again I would probably go a full week between reintroductions. I think they set it at the shortest possible time frame so people wouldn't freak out and not even try.

So, my face broke out terrible yesterday. Could it be the sugar detox? Also I woke up with another raging headache this morning and I have an itchy rash on my leg. I am eating pretty clean. I did start logging again a few days ago to track my carbs and sugar and I worry that I am not eating enough. Hopefully this is just my body punishing me for denying it sugar and things will calm down in a few days.
  • sarabeth624
    sarabeth624 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Luckily my mamma is primal too. Unluckily, she's already lost everything she wants to lose and has maintained for about 10 years. So Thanksgiving will be fully primal/paleo. Paleo maple syrup, local honey, figs, plantains, dates, sweet potato... you can wake me back up in time for Christmas!
  • lujo321
    Options
    Congrats to your mom for maintaining for 10 years. That is my dream. It would be lovely if Thanksgiving was primal for me but we have a large family and always do it up potluck style. Most people bring the same thing year after year but there will be lots of healthy choices. We always have a big salad as my whole family loves salad. Last year I roasted some vegetables and I will probably do that again. My biggest problem will be dessert. There will be lots of pies, candies, cakes, etc. I think I will forgo having any wine that day. One I would rather eat my calories and two I won't have to worry about having one glass too many that ends with me face down in a pecan pie.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    "One I would rather eat my calories and two I won't have to worry about having one glass too many that ends with me face down in a pecan pie."

That is hilarious, I hope this hasn't been your habit in the past. Go on have a couple, would certainly be some funny, family embarrassing photos at the very least. :D

• lujo321
    Options
    It may have happened once or twice. LOL
    Whoever is left at the end of the day will usually end up around the table with wine or coffee and pick off the remaining desserts. It is the prize for staying long enough for clean up.

I did not sleep well last night. I am a bit worried I am not eating enough. My appetite is so reduced I could probably skip lunch entirely some days. Of course that would probably lead to bad choices later in the day so I don't. I have been logging but I mostly eyeball my portions so I'm not sure how accurate it is.

Last night I made a stir fry and I did add a bit of honey to it. My carbs might be a little too low for me. Usually by now I would be feeling super energized but I'm just not feeling it.
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    Are you taking any supplements? I take Omega oils, vit. D3 and a high dose of B12 in which I disolve under my tongue (which really helps for energy). I am with ya on the low appetite. I sorta feel like I am force feeding which makes me feel nauseous afterwards. I do NOT enter my foods most days because I hate hassle! I am trying to relieve stress & that to many is just another thing I have GOT to do each day. I am usually under cals most days but it is what it is. I started eating this way to quit eating soooo much sugar & I have done awesome. I rarely eat wheat nor dairy so this is becoming a way of life for me & even if the scale has only shown a 3 pound loss (in 12 days) & feel like I have dropped 20! The bloat is gone & the brain fog is gone! I LOVE how I am feeling!
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    yes, I take vitamins - and they're so NOT primal. I hate swallowing pills so I do the chewables. I take a womans multi in the afternoon (weekdays only because I leave the bottle at work), and D3 and Calcium at night (when I remember)...
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    lujo321 wrote: »
    What are everyone's thoughts on food logging? I have decided to baby-step my way back in and I have cut out all gluten grains since Monday. The only non-gluten grain I have had is some corn yesterday so I have been mostly grain free. I have been eating if I was hungry though to avoid caving in on grains I allowed myself to eat as much as I want otherwise. So far when logging my calories are way high and that seems to mess with my head. When I did a whole 30 last March I stopped logging because they don't want you counting calories. I know I am eating too many nuts and definitely need to figure out a better snack. I tried putting together my own little primal packs with jerky, nuts and dried fruit but they just seem to make me hungrier. Probably all the sugar from the dried fruit. Anyway that got off track. My question is really about logging. Does it help or hurt?
    Coming late to the discussion. I find food logging to be very helpful as when I am concentrating on eating for health, I am never hungry. If I went by my body's hunger signals, I would be content with less than 800 daily calories, not good for the metabolism. Logging shows me what I need to make my "minimums" for the day.

Busyness (mainly related to moving house) has thrown me off track, though I worked hard to keep an 80/20 primal approach, even when we were relying heavily on fast food for the week we actually packed everything up and moved it.I was close enough, even with fast food, that when I REALLY went off recently (free samples at Costco and Whole Foods were the trigger, because of shopping when hungry, having missed breakfast and lunch due to too tight a schedule, and not having an emergency snack with me), I noticed the difference in how I felt (pain and stiffness, insomnia, headaches, low energy). I'm motivated to be back "on" and stay on, even through the holidays.