Getting back on the Primal/Paleo horse

Options
13»

Replies

• ahjenny
    ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I'm starting over again, too. This has been a stressful year for me, and I turned to food for comfort. And I started a new medication, which helped me to gain 15 pounds in the last 5 weeks. :-o So, I am going to work on reducing the bad foods in my house this week and plan and prepare for good food shopping this weekend so I can get back to meal planning. I would love to have more friends who are supportive. It's pretty hard to find support in "real life" because people think it's a fad diet or a bunch of baloney.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    ahjenny wrote: »
    I'm starting over again, too. This has been a stressful year for me, and I turned to food for comfort. And I started a new medication, which helped me to gain 15 pounds in the last 5 weeks. :-o So, I am going to work on reducing the bad foods in my house this week and plan and prepare for good food shopping this weekend so I can get back to meal planning. I would love to have more friends who are supportive. It's pretty hard to find support in "real life" because people think it's a fad diet or a bunch of baloney.

Several people have mentioned how helpful planning and preparation can be. I agree! For the newbies here, a resource: I found the planning and prep advice in Well Fed and Well Fed 2 to be invaluable. I think the author has a lot of that info freely available on her website as well, but as I'm on my phone it's too hard to cut and paste the website address. I think her website is "The Clothes Make The Girl" but I could be wrong.
  • jmhunter82
    jmhunter82 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    rae_32 wrote: »
    I am also getting back on the primal wagon... I just love how un-bloated and awesome I feel after only a couple days... I'm primal thought because I just can't give up my coffee cream and cheese lol... please feel free to add me :)

I never realized how bloated and inflamed I really was!!!!!!!! Until now that I'm not!
  • lujo321
    lujo321 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I take a daily multi-vitamin and a weekly vitamin D. I was having a problem with leg cramps a few weeks back and started taking my multi-vitamin twice a day and haven't had any full blown cramps since. I suspected I was missing something somewhere but wasn't sure if it was magnesium or potassium or something else entirely so I just upped my multi-vitamin dosage and it worked. The other day I had a brief sensation like a cramp was coming on but it never did so I guess it's working.

I started logging again once I fully gave up sugar and it does help me make sure I am getting enough food vs. before I was using it to make sure I didn't get too much food. The psychological difference between those two approaches is vast. When I was "dieting" it made me crazy. Now if my calories or fat is low I'll grab a piece of cheese instead of a piece of fruit at the end of the day. Yes I eat cheese. Not everyone does and I don't eat it all the time just sometimes.

In September my doctors were giving me massive amounts of steroids to treat both a back injury and an ulcerative colitis flare up. Needless to say I gained 20 pounds. 20 POUNDS! I'm still trying to get over the fact that even when I have a loss I am still 15 pounds higher than my start weight. I was so glad to get off those steroids. They also made me cry all the time as I was super emotional.

I love Well Fed and Well Fed 2 is on my wish list. The website is www.theclothesmakethegirl.com and it is awesome. Homesweet is right about how important planning is but I must confess I am terrible at it. Especially if I get particularly busy or if I am hurt and/or sick like I have been these last few weeks/months.
  • theimprovedsharonat50
    Options
    I am also getting back on track with Paleo - starting the 21 Day Sugar Detox on Dec 1st for a kickstart. This week is getting ready (shopping, getting my head in the right spot) and Thanksgiving with family (my husband and I are flying to NC to have dinner with family and they are cooking so will do the best I can). Ready to start feeling AMAZING again - know the first 2 weeks are the hardest and then it gets easier.
  • scvb13
    scvb13 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm a newbie to the group and am starting to eat Paleo/Primal (I'm more in line with Primal as I'd like to enjoy some Greek yogurt or Kefir now and then). I just started Thursday and I'd say I've been following it about 80% thus far. Doing pretty well AND feeling better except I got HANGRY yesterday around lunch as we went too long without eating. Amazingly, my GI system already feels WAY better (I don't have a gallbladder) off the milk and wheat. I'm not stressing about Thanksgiving, my mom always cooks the same every year so I'll have a bit of stuffing but we are skipping rolls this year and will have green beans, sweet potatoes, turkey, scratch made gravy, and pumpkin pie (my husband makes it). Overall not horrible and I'll get the dog out for a walk to offset some of it!
  • wittybelle
    wittybelle Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    wow. You guys have gotten busy lately. I am still inching my way back to paleo life. I loved how I felt on paleo and loved that I was cooking my own foods too. I wish I could say goodbye to rice and bread this time as easy as I did the first time. I think this group will be a lot of help. I am planning on making paleo pancakes for Thanksgiving breakfast and paleo cookies for dessert.
  • lujo321
    lujo321 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Midnight raid on fridge last night and paying for it today. I don't know why I did it but I sure regret it now.
  • homesweeths
    Options
    lujo321 wrote: »
    Midnight raid on fridge last night and paying for it today. I don't know why I did it but I sure regret it now.

Been there, done that. I did it last week, as a matter of fact, but I think it was due to stress and crazy hours.

• slimjaques
    slimjaques Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi all - getting back on paleo myself. Did 30 days early this year and felt AMAZING and lost weight that I had trouble losing any other way. Then... Well, I'm back! I struggle most with the evening hours. Seem to want to snack even if not hungry. Stocked up on great foods at home, have mostly cleared out the pantry - but will still be challenged with the wine and beer around over the holidays. I'm also doing the "Ultimate Female Training Guide" on simplyshredded.com. Heavier weights than I have been doing - but think it will work. I LOVE the idea and practice of no processed food. And everyone here is right - the planning is so important, isn't it? Best wishes to you lujo321 - you can do it!
  • homesweeths
    Options
    The planning is super important!

Today was my regular shopping day and I sort of shopped on automatic, buying the kinds of things we usually get. I have no motivation to cook or even eat (at least healthy food). I think if news of fresh baked brownies hadn't greeted me on my coming home today, I probably wouldn't eat at all, just sleep.

I really need to plan healthy meals but I'm fooded out from the holiday and leftovers.
  • each_day_stronger
    each_day_stronger Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I'm getting back onto the primal band wagon too. I'm focusing most of my energy right now on avoiding gluten and not worrying about dairy, potatoes, and rice. IT'S GOING TO WORK THIS TIME. I FEEL IT. :smiley:

Would love some cheerleaders on my team and would love to support others too!

• homesweeths
    Options
    Way to go, munzinni. Listen to your body. Eat what helps you feel good. I ended up eliminating rice and potatoes because I didn't feel well after eating them. I can do sweet potatoes, though, if I feel the need for something starchy. I also do full fat dairy (butter, sour cream, full cream - but read the label as many companies, even organic (!) add carageenan to whipping cream nowadays) and some occasional cheese, as long as it's not part skim.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    munzinni wrote: »
    Hey all! I'm getting back onto the primal band wagon too. I'm focusing most of my energy right now on avoiding gluten and not worrying about dairy, potatoes, and rice. IT'S GOING TO WORK THIS TIME. I FEEL IT. :smiley:

Do you mean you are including dairy potatoes and rice? Because I need to give those up! LOL I have been gluten free a long time and am finding the starches don't serve me well either. But if you are just starting out it can be wise to wean off things if you need to. I guess I did that as I refined, although I also have done the cold turkey type thing with Atkins. I guess both have merits and I am probably going way too far here! :wink:

• Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I am going to do a Whole30 starting in January. Only planned cheat will be my birthday! I will have some wine that day!
  • each_day_stronger
    each_day_stronger Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »

Do you mean you are including dairy potatoes and rice? Because I need to give those up! LOL I have been gluten free a long time and am finding the starches don't serve me well either. But if you are just starting out it can be wise to wean off things if you need to. I guess I did that as I refined, although I also have done the cold turkey type thing with Atkins. I guess both have merits and I am probably going way too far here! :wink:
    Yes, I'm including them in for now, since apparently I'm a gluten fiend and that's where my focus needs to be right now. But if you need to give them up, I'm rooting for you! You can do it!!
  • homesweeths
    Options

Yes, I'm including them in for now, since apparently I'm a gluten fiend and that's where my focus needs to be right now. But if you need to give them up, I'm rooting for you! You can do it!!

If you are not cutting out dairy, you might consider limiting your dairy to fat -- butter, sour cream (the natural kind, like Daisy brand, with no thickeners or additives), full cream (again, check the label for thickeners) and *maybe* full fat cheese (like Brie). Dairy protein (casein) has a similar effect on the body to gluten. I found out that my dairy intolerance was not a problem with lactose, but with casein! (Amazing how many "non-dairy" non-foods have casein added to them...)

• cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

If you are not cutting out dairy, you might consider limiting your dairy to fat -- butter, sour cream (the natural kind, like Daisy brand, with no thickeners or additives), full cream (again, check the label for thickeners) and *maybe* full fat cheese (like Brie). Dairy protein (casein) has a similar effect on the body to gluten. I found out that my dairy intolerance was not a problem with lactose, but with casein! (Amazing how many "non-dairy" non-foods have casein added to them...)

OMG YES!! I do need to give up dairy again too, and was looking at alternatives. 90% have CASEIN!!! REALLY??!! Because casein and whey are more issues for me than lactose. I am addicted to cheese though, so its rough. I have done it...but went back!