November Chit Chat

Options

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    threnjen wrote: »
    OK I had an epiphany today that is part common sense, part general knowledge but still managed to be an epiphany because I am a doofus.

you might feel like a doofus but it was pretty timely for me. i know the same thing - in my head. last thursday when i took the trouble to eat a bowl of cereal a little while before i went out, i was ridiculously strong for my expectations; and then two days later when all i'd had inside me all day was coffee and my breakfast shake . . . well, let's just say not so much. i have a somewhat irresponsible attitude about food, i suppose, and i keep forgetting to take that totally-obvious connection between food and energy/strength levels seriously.

i like your 'schedule' based plan a whole lot.

• canadianlbs
    Options
    on the same note . . . i've been thinking for the past day that maybe i was too optimistic about not harming my knees with deadlifts. but then today i actually looked at my kneecaps instead of just poking them and going 'ow'.

oh, i get it now. bruises. :D
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Blag, today sucked.
    Supposed to do warm up then 155 lbs, 185 lbs and 205 lbs all for 5. Got the 155lbs then only got 3 on the 185. Didn't even try for the 205 lbs, didn't do my accessories just kind of gave up on the work out. No idea why I am so weak. I ate at maintenance (or over, probably over I gave up counting Saturday, Sunday and today...) blah, I am just not happy with how that turned out.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    @ Llama -- Sometimes we just have an off day. Give yourself a break and don't beat yourself up. You'll get it next time!
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    well, i feel vindicated for telling the guy to go ahead and order me 100-dollar tires with studs in them for my bike. i just went out on my back deck and there's sheet ice all over it. and the knobs, well . . . i guess at least i get to be the only person in the city who's going to be hoping for snow.

they weigh 3 pounds each though :'(
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    nancy274 wrote: »

That article is fantastic. I hope EVERYONE reads it!

I am totally posting to my status update.
  • Surfingbodi
    Surfingbodi Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    wow! wow! wow! great article. ty everyone for sharing.
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    This is week two of lifting...I started adding weights to the Oly Bar...so far, so good (I only failed once on the OHP - 3 rd set)....
    - Lift on ladies!
  • danirosevoelkel
    danirosevoelkel Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Well I've been sick and haven't lifted in nearly two weeks, Spartan race soreness first then sick kids, then sick me, now sick hubby. That virus needs to get the hell out! Anyways... I've missed you all and hope to lift again Monday. If I can start eating soon that is.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    bepeejaye wrote: »
    This is week two of lifting...I started adding weights to the Oly Bar...so far, so good (I only failed once on the OHP - 3 rd set)....
    - Lift on ladies!
    Nice job BPJ! I'm in week 12 and just getting to the bar on my OHP -- I'm impressed!

• canadianlbs
    Options
    last night i pinched four 5lb plates together and carried them back to their peg on the rack . . . with the fingertips of my left hand :D:D

now that impressed me. i don't think anyone else would even notice it enough to think about whether it's badass or not, but believe me. i don't know what the 'standards' and 'norms' are for grip strength, but 20lbs worth of fingertip grip seems pretty badass to me.
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    @bepeejaye - That dreaded third set! Gets me "every" time!

Thanks for the article! It's very true. I have a very poor body image, but lifting has really helped. If I have my "fat" days, I can always find a part of me I love and am proud for. Not something I could say a few months ago :)
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I was reading another article that crabada posted while I was at the girlie doc yesterday (what did we do before smart phones while waiting for doctors??), anywho, it made me remember that I may not always love my body for the way it looks, but it helped me produce, carry and deliver 2 beautiful and healthy daughters!
    And while I wasn't stoked about it during pregnancy, getting the news of having gestational diabetes was the best thing that ever happened. It caused me to totally turn around my eating habits and finally get into working out and not chatting for an hour with my workout buddy :-)

I also LOVE that I have taken up lifting! I once loved classes, etc, but now I look forward to my time loading up that bar with plates. <3
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    For all my spectacular gals -- this reminded me of you:

IMG_1102_6a488fda-a3ca-4f01-9b19-df392cf1c770.jpg?v=1380601987
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Ugh! Im sick! I tried so hard to not believe it was happening, but I now sound like a 12 year old boy/80yo smoker when I talk. Thank goodness its mostly just a chest/cough thing so I can resume most of my normal life.

I will be taking the rest week as planned and actually resting a best I can. No cardio either.

Have a good week ladies!
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    That article was very inspiring - thanks for posting!!

This week I add plates to the Oly bar...so far so good!

Keep lifting ladies!!
  • bruerin
    bruerin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    We used to have a recipe thread, but I'll post this here. I made this last night, http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/09/low-fat-baked-ziti-with-spinach.html

I added Italian chicken sausage to it. It was delicious! Based on the ingredients I used, it made 8, 400 calorie servings. (And they were actually decent-sized servings).
  • Surfingbodi
    Surfingbodi Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    love the sweatshirt crabada!
    looks like i am taking tonight off as i am not feeling good but tomorrow is another day (hopefully)!
    :)
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I'm going through withdrawals...I had some complications with my flu shot this year and my arm has been so sore I haven't lifted in over 2 weeks! I had a doc look at it, and it is feeling much better now, so I'm hoping to be back at it on Monday. I've been doing lots of cardio in the meantime but I need to get back into the strength training! Thanks for letting me vent. :)