Daily check in - NoVEmbeR give up!

Options

Replies

• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Braved the TOM cramps to go do squats (of all the exercises... Ha!) Didn't go too bad. However I had to use a different rack because the xfit room was completely crowded this AM and I'm not sure the bar was really 45lbs but eh... What can you do?

New cycle, back to 5s

117.5x5
    135x5
    152.5x8
    117.5x15

Then did 3 rounds of 40/20 and got some ridiculous numbers haha
    1 arm KB clean (25lbs) 19/14/16
    1 arm push press (20) 18/19/15
    other side
    american kb swing (40) 17/18/17

finished up with 5 rounds of 20/10
    - sumo deadlift kb high pull ({ 10 reps per round @40lbs)
    - bear crawls 10ft to and backwards (2 trips and some)

Then did some stretching, tried to do thefrog stretch because my hips are real tight... I need to work on that O_o So... bad...

@sing setting goals is something that's pretty personal. What may be realistic for me might not be for you. However, as a general rule, you want to go for something that's a little out of your comfort zone without being crazy or impossible. And setting both long and short term goals is also a good way to go. Helps with staying consistent :)
  • krokador
    Options
    Wow, 2 check-ins in a row? Where are all the people? :(

Bench Press 5 day
    85x5
    100x5
    112.5x7 - I thought this was a rep PR but upon verification, no go, I'd done 8 previously :( However, my rep "goal" to beat last week's PR was 7 so I didn't go in with the right mindset, possibly. Ha! Ah well
    85x16 - Had more reps but I kept shifting and losing my form so I called it in. Dry fit shirts do not adhere well to the bench *sadface*

the GBB workout (day 17) today was

10 min AMRAP of
    - power pull-ups (~80lbs assist) x5
    - pike press on 12' box x 5
    - kb goblet cossack squat x 5 (20lbs)

Managed 5 rounds and 4 squats per leg and finished that round. Alternated between chin-ups and pull-ups and the very last set I added about 10lbs of assist

Finisher was a for time (cap 10 mins):
    - Burpees 30, 20, 10, 5
    - KB ground to overhead (35lbs single KB) 5, 10, 15, 20

I reached 10 burpees and 14 KBG2OH before time was up. I rarely struggle with the push-up part of the burpees but my upper body was toast this time around lol. Looking forward to trying it again and hopefully finishing within time. I only needed about aminute and a half more to get through I think!
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Deadlift challenged today because of manually sanding my risers last night (we are re-doing stairs) but did what I could do.

Workout B (Sun)

Dumbbell Skis - 5 x 10 - 40

Bench press - 5 x 5 - 105

Hot Potato Squats - 5 x 5 - 20

Squats 5 X 5 - 200

Deadlifts 1 x 2 - 150

Deadlifts 1 x 2 - 155

Deadlifts 1 x 2 - 160

Deadlifts 1 x 2 - 165

Reverse curls - 5 x 5 - 100

Incline Crunches 1 x 100

Flat dumbbell flys - 5 x 10 - 40

Overhand bicep curls - 5 x 5 - 130
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    YESSS!!!! Groups are now listed on the Community tab without having to dig for them! Yay for easy access to this board! I haven't been posting my workouts in here lately mostly because of that. Thank you MFP for fixing it.

So I've been doing a modified Madcow routine. I do ramped up squats and light bench (plus accessories) on the first weekly workout, the next workout is ramped up DL's and OHP (plus accessories), then ramped up bench and light squats (plus accessories) the 3rd workout. I deloaded OHP some weeks ago and am working my way back up by adding a rep each week and once I can hit 10 reps, then I increase the weight. Tuesday's OHP goal is 4x5 @ 72.5 - here's hoping I can hit it!

Squats:
    5 @ 85, 107.5, 127.5, 150, 175 then 10 @ 127.5
    3x10 @ 115

Bench:
    5 @ 47.5, 60, 72.5, 82.5, 95
    3x10 DB chest flys @ 20 (flat bench)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Glad to see groups are back on the forum main page... I have been working out 4 days a week split since October, made a bunch of gains and PRs and I missed this group :D
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Last week was a bit of a mess and I only ended up getting to the gym twice. Rather disappointing given how rad Wednesday was, but it is what it is -- life gets in the way sometimes.

Tonight I did StrongLifts 5x5 / Workout B, with some variations:

Squats -- Skipped these to give my adductor a break. Did Incline Leg Press instead.

Incline Leg Press -- Warm-ups 1x5 @ 90, 180, 270, 360, Working sets 6x5 @ 450 lbs.
    - Felt harder than I expected given I've done 450 lbs. many times before, but good, and mostly kept my adductor from engaging. Better than squats on that count.

Overhead Press -- 2x5 @ 45 lbs., 3x5 @ 40 lbs.
    - Frustrated here, but will keep on keeping on. I'll get to 5x5 @ 45 lbs. someday!

Deadlifts -- Warm-ups 1x5 @ 85, 135, Working set 1x5 @ 140 lbs. (!!!!)
    - YES! Finally broke through the 135 lbs. mental block, but it took a couple attempts! First time I tried to pull 135 tonight, I got nowhere. Second time, I got one rep. Third attempt finally got all five. I considered calling it, but figured what the hell, so threw on another 5 lbs. and ROCKED IT! I wished someone I knew had been there so I could have celebrated a little more, but whatever. It was AWESOME!

Accessories:

Bicep Curls -- 3x10 @ 12.5 lbs (dumbbells)
    - Damn, these were hard. I had to eek out the last 2 reps on my final set like my life depended on it. Definitely need to be doing these more often!

Adductor machine -- 1x12 @ 90, 95, 100, 105
    Abductor machine -- 1x12 @ 100, 105
    - I think part of the adductor issue that they're generally weak. Plus my hips are super tight, so I think these will help.
    - I like these exercises because they allow me to work those areas in a super controlled fashion. It's not like in squats where I'm also thinking about my feet, my back, my *kitten*, where I'm looking, the bar on my back, my arms, and and and and. So, these felt pretty good, but by the time I got to my second set on the abductor, I was D-O-N-E done!

All in all, a pretty great night and a wonderful way to start the week.

xo,
    C.
  • sugarfree123
    sugarfree123 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Sing 809 - my goals are just to lift heavier than the time before or add extra reps if I cant increase my weight. Day by Day, lift by lift, one day at a time to a stronger me.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Courtney you're killing it lately!! Way to go!!

So I meant to take 2 days off over the weekend to organise little mans 2nd birthday party, but between all the baking, setting up, decorating, Pinterest explosion in my house lol I ended up being too exhausted and took Sunday off too. Didn't really track over the weekend, ate too much cake
    , Oreos and candy. My god it was amazing lol

Lifted tonight and felt the full effect of a weekend of carbs - kick *kitten* workout!!

Squat 5x5 @ 145lbs
    OHP 5x5 @ 70lbs
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 190lbs booyah!

Then some step ups, lat pull downs, random stuff lol

Shaking now, shower time then bed

Have a great day my lovely lifting ladies xx
  • krokador
    Options
    I came, I saw, I... did a workout. Nothing special about it today. I felt a lil sluggish and definitely did not break any PRs.

Pendlay Rows
    75x5
    87.5x5
    100x8 and a 9th rep that was too momentum-ish.
    75x15

Decided to try something new-ish with these and actually try to pull the bar through my chest and kind of "pause" at the top. Really felt it, but it did take a bit more effort than usual, so maybe it's good, maybe it's bad. Also decided to give a 5/3/1 cycle a go on this and see where it gets me because the previous method wasn't working.

EMOTM x8 of
    double KB deadlift @ 30lbs x6 for the first 4 minutes, 8 for the last 4. Not really tough. Need to progress to a hard variation because my gym's 40 pounders are always in 2 different rooms so... yeah.

6 min AMRAP of
    - KB piston rows x4/arm (25lbs)
    - half turkish getups x4/side - first round @25 but I could barely hold it so I regressed down to 20. 5 rounds and 4 rows were achieved. I'm still not sure those 25s aren't 30s. The weight is sadly completely faded from the front and the scale is at the other end of the gym. Nuh.

6 min AMRAP of
    - Double KB clans (25lbs) x3, 6, 9, 12
    - lateral hand walks (right and left x5) x 1, 2, 3, 3

Kinda glad this wasn't too taxing because it's Monday and I do have soccer tonight ha. I don't think I'll register again. I need a different type of cardio. It is still too late at night and beats me up too much. :(
  • BealeAppeal
    BealeAppeal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So excited to find this board! Just started the 5x5 program! Today was day 2!

Squats 5x5 45lbs
    OHP 5x4 45lbs
    Deadlift 1x5 90lbs

Looking forward to this journey!
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Not sure I should even check in because I basically didn't do 5x5 today. But it's where I keep track of my workouts in general, sooo here it is.

The power cage was in use the ENTIRE 90min I was at the gym so I couldn't do my squats at all :(:(:( It really sucks because I was looking forward to a new weight and I knew I could do it today!! There is only the one cage though and a squat rack, and the safety bars on the squat rack are too high for my short self, so for me it's the power cage or nada.

So I ended up doing a lot of random crap, but in the end it was good. I am absolutely exhausted (and famished) and already feeling muscle soreness. So my random things were a pretty good workout.

Elliptical 10 min warmup

Bench - warmup, 1x5@55, 5x5@65 (new weight). In between sets, accessories of 5x10 leg raises while holding bar up, and 5x15 hip popups

3x50 feet walking lunges and 3x10 good mornings with 50lb bar on shoulders

4x6@60lbs romanian deadlift, 4x10@25lbs skull crushers

2x60sec plank, 2x30sec side plank

20min row machine (the cage actually freed up halfway through this but at this point I was too exhausted)

I could have done my pendlay rows but ..... meh. It's right by the cage and I would have just spent that time annoyed :P

I need to catch up on the group going-ons, sorry I haven't been very chatty!

Welcome, BealeAppeal!! I hope you love it!!!
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    psych101 wrote: »
    Courtney you're killing it lately!! Way to go!!

kick *kitten* workout!!

Squat 5x5 @ 145lbs
    OHP 5x5 @ 70lbs
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 190lbs booyah!

That *IS* a kick-*kitten* workout! I can't wait to get to your numbers! SO RAD. (And thanks! :) )

krokador wrote: »
    I came, I saw, I... did a workout.

Pendlay Rows
    75x5
    87.5x5
    100x8 and a 9th rep that was too momentum-ish.
    75x15

Decided to try something new-ish with these and actually try to pull the bar through my chest and kind of "pause" at the top. Really felt it, but it did take a bit more effort than usual, so maybe it's good, maybe it's bad. Also decided to give a 5/3/1 cycle a go on this and see where it gets me because the previous method wasn't working.

You're funny. :) I've been trying to do that with my rows too, but to do it well, I feel like I have to deload to about half of what I'm currently pulling, so I'm torn. Some peeps don't think the squeeze / pause at the top is all that important, so again, torn.

So excited to find this board! Just started the 5x5 program! Today was day 2!

Squats 5x5 45lbs
    OHP 5x4 45lbs
    Deadlift 1x5 90lbs

Looking forward to this journey!

Welcome! And wow! Nice weights -- I'm still trying to get to 45 on my OHP (shoulder issues), and definitely didn't start at 90 with my deads. Awesome!

threnjen wrote: »
    Not sure I should even check in because I basically didn't do 5x5 today. But it's where I keep track of my workouts in general, sooo here it is.

Sorry about the squats, but it sounds like an awesome workout! Great job! :)
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Deadlift day 3.
    I decided to stick with the deload that came from failing last week. I can always work my way back up, plus the last set is plus reps so even if it seemed light I could always grind out a couple extra reps and my volume would still be good. Then I actually did it and barely got to 3... My DL's have just been really weak this cycle.
    Warm up 165 lbs x 3, 175 lbs x 3 and 190 x 3
    Front squats 70 lbs, calf raises 120 lbs and russian twists 25 lbs. 10 reps for 3 circuits.
  • SkepticalOwl
    SkepticalOwl Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Workout A today:
    Squats 2x5x45, 5x5x85
    BP 2x5x45, 5x5x65
    Rows 3x5x85, 1x4x85, 1x3x85 -- these felt really hard today

Accessories:
    None. I left the gym early so I could give my son a ride to school. He usually walks but it was awfully cold out today.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Workout A (Tues)

Dumbbell Side Bends - 5 x 10 - 40

Overhead Press, Barbell - 5 x 5 - 70

Flat dumbbell flys - 5 x 10 - 40

underhand bicep curls 5 x 5 - 125

Reverse curls 5 x 5 - 100

Barbel Row, Bent Over - 5 x 5 - 100

squats 5 X 5 - 200

Incline ab crunches - 1 x 100
  • MistyinTN
    MistyinTN Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I found you awesome ladies! I just did day 2 of SL and I'm addicted already!
  • BealeAppeal
    BealeAppeal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the welcomes!! I look forward to rockin' it with you ladies!
    crabada wrote: »
    Welcome! And wow! Nice weights -- I'm still trying to get to 45 on my OHP (shoulder issues), and definitely didn't start at 90 with my deads. Awesome!

I have a feeling my OHP will be at that weight for awhile. I have shoulders issues as well, especially the left side. There's a huge imbalance at the moment. I've been diligently working on them for the last year through yoga and pilates. If I hadn't done that I don't think I could have done ANY overhead presses. Keep up the hard work on those shoulders. The best thing I've done for mine so far are a couple of diff daily stretches and forearm side planks!

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Just starting out with the program. I joined a gym a few weeks ago and have slowly worked my way up in getting comfortable with weight lifting again after not doing it for 10 years, with the goal of starting SL. Though a bit hesitant, I did day 1 yesterday, after work since it's easier to get to the squat racks at 11pm. I go to a 24 hour fitness location.

bench = bar + 10 lbs
    squats = bar
    row = fixed 30 lb barbell

I'm not sure that I'm even doing the row correct. I think I'll go before work for workout b and ask if someone can show me the form on that and the deadlift (as I still don't quite know how to do that one and watching videos just doesn't quite do it for me). I tried the row with dumbbells in order to do a lower weight but it felt odd, so switched to the fixed bar they had in the "upper body" weight area.

I have been doing squats for a couple weeks and probably could do it with weights, if I could get my shoulders and arms warmed up a bit better before. The holding the bar causes a mild ache when I have done it the past two times. I don't get quite as low either, but I'm hoping once I'm more used to the motion and maybe have less stomach (once I get closer to not being obese maybe), it'll be a bit easier to go lower. Also, I may need to start the bar lower on the rack but it's either have it rest pretty low or have to push up on my toes to lift the bar before moving in place.

Long story short... newbie who just started.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    Welcome to all the new folks! YAY!

@ DawnEmbers -- My shoulder issues made doing squats impossible for a while, and when I finally did get started, my grip was really narrow. I felt like my elbows were coming out of my ears. As I've progressed, I've been able to widen my grip.

Long story short -- try a narrow grip, and know it's OK if you're basically just hanging on to the empty bar with your curled fingertips. The rest will come!

C.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Hello to the new members :)

Squats: warm up + 5@65,80,100,115,130 (going to work on this weight for a while)
    Bench: warm up + 5@45,50,55,60,70
    Rows: warm up + 5@45,50,60,70,80
    Triceps dips: 3x10
    Glute bridges: 3x10 @80
    Good mornings: 3x10 @45
    Plank: 1 minute