New to Keto, questions a'plenty

Options
Hello everyone,

After working out with my trainer for three months and only losing 5 lbs, I have decided to start a keto diet. I did a lot of research and reading before I decided on this diet because I wanted to understand what I was getting myself into. I started on Monday and I basically used a sample diet I found and adjusted the macros. I also have my FitBit linked to my account so I get negative adjustments and I think that means that I can eat that much more in calories but I don't want to do that. The reason I picked this particular lifestyle plan is because I have a really hard time eating (diagnosed as a disordered eater) and my body has become conditioned to surviving on coffee, water, and about 900 calories a day if I'm lucky but it's easy for me to eat three times as much on the weekends because I haven't eaten all week and my body rebels and then I over do it. I feel like I can successfully recondition myself with this way of eating.

I am having issues getting the fats in and I've gone over my carbs for today in addition to yesterday. How can I get in more fats? I use a full fat salad dressing but it has 10g carbs (looking for a new dressing). I also add cheese to my salads and cook my eggs in butter. How else can I increase the fats without increasing carbs and calories? Also, why is fruit my enemy now? I love fruit and had just gotten into making sure I had at least one fruit per meal and then for a snack if I got hungry. Today I discovered that a cup of watermelon is 10g carbs!! I am definitely learning a lot about what I'm eating. I don't want to get set back before I even start so I'm not going to obsess too much about the numbers but as I said, I'm going to go over my carbs again today (not by much) and I don't want it to hurt me. I also went over my proteins but I'm okay with that. I need to learn how the numbers will affect me but I know that will only come with observing my body while I'm eating this way so again, I'm not going to stress too much about the numbers yet.

I also want to understand the math behind calculating macros. Please be super patient with me because I am math illiterate! My trainer suggested that I eat 1800 calories a day but every other calorie calculator suggests a calorie range of 2000 - 2400 calories (EVERY danged day) in order to lose 2 lbs a week. 1800 is a struggle so that's my number for now. Can someone post the formula for calculating the macros? I'm going to open up my food diary so if it isn't open when you read this, try again in a minute. :smile: Monday's food log is based on 2010 calories and today forward will be based on 1800 calories.

One more thing... I am doing a cyclical ketogenic diet in case that matters with the macros. I know it does for a couple of days but I wanted to throw that piece of information in there.

Replies

• lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm about 3 months into a keto lifestyle and it was a learning curve for me. It takes some time to learn which foods have how much carbs. The best thing is to weigh, measure, and log everything.

Eating a bunch of fat can seem really strange at first. I have suffered from an eating disorder and can guarantee that it took me some time to even allow butter into my diet. To get enough fat, I cook in butter and bacon fat, I put butter or coconut oil in my coffee, I add butter to everything, hell I even eat plain butter when my fat macro is low for the day. You will adjust to this as the days go by.

Someone will probably come in and help you with your numbers. The members here are really helpful.

Not sure what a cyclical keto diet is... although I have heard of carb cycling.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I have been on a Keto diet for about 3 1/2 months now. It was easy to go over on the carbs early on. You will learn what to eat and not eat if you use MFP (MyFitnessPal). I don't think I could do the diet without it. Like Lula said, log every food you eat. Some people even log their vitamins and extra salt (I personally don't log them).

Before I ever heard the word, "Keto", I have always loved fat. But I also loved Carbs too. And that's why I ended up weighing 330 lbs. All the old-timer Keto people on this list have told me, that keeping your carbs under 25 g @ day, and your protein around 80-100g @ day is more important than the macros percentages.

I also, am not sure what "cyclical Keto" is. I maintain a blog with Keto Terms and have read hundreds of hours online and a few books on Keto and never heard it. If you means you are going to go "in and out" on a Keto diet, then its not a Keto diet, its something else. The whole purpose of a Keto diet is to switch your body's fuel source from Carbs to Ketones. It takes from 2 to 6 weeks to do this (it took me 6 weeks). Its called "keto adapted". Your body actually changes (for the better) to using ketones very effectively.

If you do 5 days of a lo carb diet, and then go off the diet on the weekends, your body will never adapt.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    I also, am not sure what "cyclical Keto" is. I maintain a blog with Keto Terms and have read hundreds of hours online and a few books on Keto and never heard it.

http://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/wiki/index#wiki_skd.2C_tkd.2C_ckd_-_what.2C_when_and_how.3F

CKD is a legit thing but it is really only ideal for seriously high performing athlete/weightlifting types.

I've had to stop going to the gym for a few weeks to try to deal with a foot problem, but I had started doing TKD as mentioned in that same area of the ketogains thread. With TKD though I'm back in ketosis immediately, despite eating 15-25g of dextrose before I work out. As a diabetic, I would never screw with CKD myself, so I haven't researched it past that FAQ.
  • volfan22
    volfan22 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I use this calculator to figure out my macros: http://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/
    I typically stick with the 80/15/5 rule of thumb to make things easy - but the calculator helps if you want to look at your activity levels too. If you browse the recipes, you can find a better dressing for your salad. I make my own (including my own mayonnaise) so I know what I'm getting and can be in charge of the fat levels. Welcome - good luck.
  • MikeEnRegalia
    MikeEnRegalia Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If you do 5 days of a lo carb diet, and then go off the diet on the weekends, your body will never adapt.

Not necessarily true. I would speculate that you probably adapt quicker using a pure ketogenic approach for one or two months, but after that the machinery your cells developed will not be destroyed by eating carbs occasionally. Read Lyle McDonald's book about the cyclical ketogenic diet if you want to know more ... whether this approach works may also vary from person to person, from my own experience I can say that I have no problems re-introducing carbs occasionally and then getting into ketosis again in a matter of a few days. Peter Attia also wrote something to that effect.
  • RockLobster4
    RockLobster4 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi TrophyWife, welcome to Keto! I also struggled with getting enough fat in the beginning, but it just takes a little bit of time to learn what you can and can not eat. Get a big jar of coconut oil (use a refined if you don't like the coconut flavor), and cook EVERYTHING in it! Since you are already used to drinking coffee, make it a Bulletproof Coffee by adding heavy cream and/or butter and coconut oil - that adds a ton of fat right there. My new favorite dessert is sugar-free jello with whipped cream (sweetened with erythritol), and that adds a good 20-30g fat at the end of the day. You can Google or Pinterest "fat bombs," which are little nuggets of goodness that add fat to your diet without adding much (or any) protein or carbs. Or just Google or Pinterest "keto recipes" and you'll find tons of ideas about what you can eat.

Also, are you counting your net carbs (carbs minus fiber) or total carbs? I try to keep my net carbs under 20g/day, but I'll find that my total carbs can be much higher than that if I've eaten high-fiber foods. The salad dressing you're using probably has a bunch of sugar and that's why the carbs are so high - I love full-fat blue cheese and ranch dressings, or you can just make your own oil and vinegar combo.

I like this website for calculating my macros: http://www.mydreamshape.com/keto-calculator/

Good luck!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Since no one answered, I'll tackle the math part. Sorry in advance if it gets a little overwhelming.

So, how do we come up with the numbers we use? Let's look at each of the macros individually.

Carbs -- In order to reduce your dependency on carbs as a fuel source and to use fat as the primary source, carbs should be under 100g. In order to be fully in ketosis, this usually needs to be no more than 50g, and for some people (or people starting out), even as low as 20g. The exact number recommendations vary by source, as does whether to use total carbs or net carbs (total carbs minus fiber and sugar alcohols). The brain needs about 120g of glucose (and/or the equivalent in combination with ketones) to run, so by reducing the amount of dietary carbs below that, you prompt the body to increase the percentage of that fuel from ketones (especially after you burn through your glycogen stores). The lower you go, the less sugar your body has to work with and the more efficient it becomes at using ketones for both brain and body functioning (the rest of the body can run entirely on fat and/or ketones, so all glucose is reserved for the brain).

Protein -- Protein is the building block macro. You need a certain amount of it to maintain or build lean mass (namely, muscle). However, like carbohydrates, protein produces an insulin response in the body. Additionally, when protein is consumed to the exclusion of fat and carbs (such as in low carb, low fat, high protein diets), the excess protein is converted to glucose to be used as fuel. Since ketones are regulated by insulin, as is glucose, both of these mechanisms can cause you to fall out of (or keep you from entering) ketosis if you eat too much protein. There's some debate about how much protein you need and which formula is most accurate, but I prefer the .5-1g/lb of lean body mass (LBM) as a guide and adjust from there based on needs. For women, I've found that 80-100g works out well as a starting point, unless you're really petite. It's a good average number that doesn't require you going out of your way to eat or avoid a protein source at each meal, which makes the transition, at least, a little easier. If you find yourself struggling to stay or get into ketosis, then lowering your protein intake can help.

Fat -- That leaves us with fat. Since we've already set our other macros, fat fills in the remainder. This looks like a scary number, at first, since it's often over 100g and can be upwards of 80-90% of one's calories. This isn't a bad thing when you're doing keto. Fat goes up, and is favored in keto, because it doesn't produce the insulin response that carbs and protein do, and it provides a fuel for the body that the body can run quite well on.

Another note about fats -- don't fear natural saturated fats. Coconut oil is your friend, as are butter and lard. Contrary to popular belief, saturated fats are not the fast lane to heart attack city (and have, in fact, been shown to improve the markers associated with CVD risk). So don't be afraid to include them. Monounsaturated fats are also good, so things like olive oil are good to have (fun fact - animal fats are ~40% monounsaturated fats). As for polyunsaturated fats, avoid the seed oils, which are generally rancid before they hit the shelves (polyunsaturated fats are very heat sensitive, and they go through a lot of processing that pretty much destroys them), and favor cold pressed oils if you choose to use them at all (I personally just stay away from them, as animal fats generally have some and are closer to the amounts and ratios we actually need). The only fat you really need to avoid are artificial trans fats -- i.e. hydrogenated oils. These are the ones that have actually been proven to cause all sorts of health issues (and are also the ones that have dragged natural saturated fats with them, because so many studies lump them together and treat them as the same, when they are anything but).

So, how do you get more fats in? Start by cooking everything in butter, coconut oil, lard, tallow, or any other fat of your choosing (favor fats with higher percentages of saturated fats for cooking, though, as they are more heat tolerant). Use a basic oil and vinegar (or just oil) for your salad dressing. Add mayo back to your burgers, wraps, and other "sandwich" stuff. Pair all protein and carb sources with a fat. Eat all the yolks when you eat eggs. Eat your berries with cream. Steak with butter (and don't trim the fat if you trust the source). So on and so forth.

Here's a sample of one of my better days:

5 eggs scrambled in about 2.5 tablespoons of butter, topped with about 2 tablespoons of cheese

Smoothie made with unsweetened almond milk, canned unsweetened coconut milk, heavy cream, almond butter, protein powder, spinach, cocoa powder, avocado, and vanilla extract

Cream cheese cloud (A sort of fat bomb. This particular batch was cream cheese, butter, and peanut butter, with few drops liquid stevia) and some baby carrots

BBQ shredded chicken made with a home made BBQ sauce that I then mixed in my homemade mayo (mayo - 1 egg, 1c olive oil, mustard, salt, 1-2 tbsp vinegar)

Now, the above (at the portions I consumed) works out to around 2000 calories, 50g carbs, 200g fat, and 80g protein, since that's where I'm currently at, but can give you an idea of some of the foods you can eat and how to increase your calorie and fat intake (sorry, you can't increase fats without increasing calories unless you're decreasing intake of something else).

Hope this helps!
  • TheTrophyWife
    TheTrophyWife Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Radiii is correct about the CKD. I'm lifting weights with my trainer and eventually I want to be a lifter. So far my carbs have been under 50g but using the numbers from the keto calculator RockLobster4 suggested and the 1800 calories, I'm supposed to have 23g carbs. That feels impossible. I changed my ratios to 70/20/10 and those numbers seem more reasonable to start while I learn how to eat and adjust. I don't think I'm going to make my calories because I only had my protein shake for lunch (conference call prevented me from preparing a full lunch).

Dragonwolf, thank you especially for the detailed explanation. I had to read it a couple of times and I'm sure that I will refer back to it often.

I don't know about butter in my coffee but I am willing to try it. I'm willing to try anything at this point. I have noticed that I don't even miss sugar. I was trying to ween myself but it appears that just three days have squashed my need to put Swiss Miss in my coffee. I was hesitant about drinking heavy cream at first but I mixed it with some almond milk and unsweetened cocoa powder and then heated it and it kinda came out like unsweetened cocoa. That's how I got my fats in on Monday and I was still lacking. I plan to make it again tonight for dessert.

RockLobster4 I don't even have a full grasp on net calories much less net carbs. The majority of my carbs are coming from veggies and fruits. The net calorie thing, I understand that as my total calories minus exercise calories plus food calories. I've read some stuff about eating back calories and to me that seems dangerous to the balance of macros. Net carbs? You'll have to explain that to me. I've read stuff and I still don't think I get it.

• DittoDan
    Options

Not necessarily true. I would speculate that you probably adapt quicker using a pure ketogenic approach for one or two months, but after that the machinery your cells developed will not be destroyed by eating carbs occasionally. Read Lyle McDonald's book about the cyclical ketogenic diet if you want to know more ... whether this approach works may also vary from person to person, from my own experience I can say that I have no problems re-introducing carbs occasionally and then getting into ketosis again in a matter of a few days. Peter Attia also wrote something to that effect.

Hi Mike, I just read the article Radiii posted above. Theoretically you are probably right, but practically and in the context of this newbie to Keto, it would be very difficult for her to manage CKD when she barely knows how to do a standard Keto diet. She must "walk" before she can "run" (no pun intended.) :)

• TheTrophyWife
    Options
    DittoDan, I totally agree. CKD is going to have to be the end game. There is so much to learn just about keto.

What do you guys do when you get sick? I feel like I'm coming down with a cold and I would really love some chili (I don't eat soup) but that's going to totally wreck my numbers. They're already wrecked because I didn't have a full lunch. I don't want to ruin what little progress I've made.
  • volfan22
    volfan22 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    DittoDan, I totally agree. CKD is going to have to be the end game. There is so much to learn just about keto.

What do you guys do when you get sick? I feel like I'm coming down with a cold and I would really love some chili (I don't eat soup) but that's going to totally wreck my numbers. They're already wrecked because I didn't have a full lunch. I don't want to ruin what little progress I've made.

If you want chili - make chili: This is one of my favorites:
    -
    - http://www.ruled.me/40-minute-keto-chili/

• Dragonwolf
    Options

You just have to get the right kind of chili. :wink:

http://cavemanketo.com/caveman-chili/

I've found, lately, that if I feel like I'm starting to feel under the weather, a big salad helps kick it. A bunch of lettuce (especially stuff with more nutrients, like spinach and whatnot), and a variety of toppings, such as carrots (Vitamin A), tomatoes (Vitamin A, C, B6), chicken (protein, fats, folate, choline, B vitamins), cheese (fats), peppers (Vitamin C), etc. help provide a great boost to feel better. (In those cases, I'd be okay with going a little over my carb count, because my body needs the micronutrients the most, and a good portion of those carbs are from fiber.)

One thing I noticed in your diary is that you're using egg beaters. If you're using up what you have, that's fine, but switch to real eggs. That will help with the amount of fat.

As for your numbers, stop thinking of going over as "wrecking" your numbers. That's just going to feed your disordered eating. You're still learning, and food doesn't fit into neat little macro packages, so your numbers aren't always going to be spot on, and that's okay. Acknowledge that a given item is a little higher in carbs than you'd prefer, make a decision to find an alternative, and move on. Also remember that an individual meal isn't going to ruin it all. What generally matters are the longer time spans. So if your lunch was more carb-heavy, then make dinner more fat-heavy (eggs and sausage for dinner, anyone?). Including fiber in your tracked nutrients on your main diary page can help put those carbs into perspective (and start illustrating what net carbs are, since net carbs are total minus fiber). If most of your carbs are coming from fiber, then that's not a bad thing, even if you do go a little over one day.

Your trouble points seem to be condiments. For that, I suggest making your own. They're really easy to make. I use this recipe for mayo, which will only have the carbs found in the egg and maybe the mustard or other spices you put in (seriously, mayo does not need sugar in it, but that's where most of the carbs come from in store-bought). From there, you can make dressing, if you want (a Ranch-like dressing, usually), or other kinds of dips. For things like ketchup, you can control the amount of sugar that's put in, which allows you to reduce the carb count (as an added bonus, you know exactly what's in it).
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    OP: Take a look at some of our diaries to see where we get out fats and keep our carbs low. I find it really helpful to see the way other people do it. Mine is open. Feel free.
  • TheTrophyWife
    Options
    Thanks for the links to the recipes. I ended up going to bed and not having anything. I also didn't have any water yesterday, it was all about coffee. I feel a bit better today but I think that's because the cold has settled in. I sound like Barry White!

I am allergic to real eggs unless I find a farmer who does not feed his chickens soy. Eggs make me incredibly nauseous and I get really terrible stomach cramps. The Eggbeaters were an experiment for me because I've had people suggest that I try them to see if they make me sick. I've had them for breakfast every morning now and I haven't been nauseous and I haven't had any pain. I've also tried organic eggs. I was down for four hours at work. I absolutely love eggs and so far Eggbeaters have to be my choice until aforementioned farmer is found.

I was really shocked to discover that my spices have sugar in them too. On some level I knew but I never really considered it before. I'll be making my own mayo from now and I'm only going to use spices in their "natural" state (goodbye Montreal seasonings...) meaning dried or fresh or not at all. I'm not sure about making my own ketchup. There isn't anything that I eat now that I would use it on.

I really am trying to change the way I think about what I'm doing because it is very easy for me to give up because I missed a meal or the numbers are overwhelming or I just don't want to eat anymore. I've made good progress since Monday (down to 306 today from 313) and yes, I know scale watching will set me back but it is literally like an addiction. I've even had to give my scales to my sister once so I could try and ween myself. I was in her bathroom more than I was in mine so she gave it back. LOL! It's another one of my baby steps.

With all of that said, fruits and veggies are kinda scary now. That's mostly what I would eat before starting keto because we're told we're supposed to have 5 servings of fruits and veggies each day. Imagine my horror when I discovered a cup of watermelon has 12g carbs! I thought I was doing so well. Then I started looking at green beans and my beloved broccoli and brussel sprouts. I usually load up my salads with different veggies but the carb count made me back off. I'm going to add the fiber count to see if that will help me understand how the net carbs work.

Today will be better. I put butter in my coffee. Why didn't anyone tell me before that I could do that? My lips haven't been this moisturized ever! Thanks for that tip, Lulalacroix. At first I thought it was a bit crazy but now I have a way to get my fat in. Butter is now my BFF.

Thanks again for everyone's advice and help. It makes it much easier to talk to people who are doing it.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    volfan22 wrote: »

If you want chili - make chili: This is one of my favorites:
    -
    - http://www.ruled.me/40-minute-keto-chili/

WOW! That looks good! I want to try it after Thanksgiving....

Thanks for posting..

Dan the Man from Chili Land
  • DittoDan
    Options
    I have trouble finding eggs from true free range chickens. When I do find eggs that are "organic" they allow the chickens to eat "organically grown" grains. I want chickens that eat grass and bugs, not grains. I even contacted my local "co-op" and they only had "organic grain" fed chicken/eggs that occasionally get out of the coop for a while.

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,513 Member
    Options
    Drink hot chicken broth!
    dldoddy wrote: »
    OP: Take a look at some of our diaries to see where we get out fats and keep our carbs low. I find it really helpful to see the way other people do it. Mine is open. Feel free.

Mine is also open.

• TheTrophyWife
    Options
    Drink hot chicken broth!
    dldoddy wrote: »

Mine is also open.

Thank both of you. Looking at other people's diaries will help.

I looked at the chili recipe and I want to make that tonight! I need a bigger crock pot so I can make double batches.

DittoDan, unless we can find hard core farmers who really understand, I don't think we'll find proper organic eggs. I think there is someone here who sells what I need but they're $6 a dozen. I think that's a bit crazy so I'm going to stick to Eggbeaters for now. They really aren't that bad but I am not crazy about the texture.

• TheTrophyWife
    Options
    Okay, I just added Fiber to my diary so I can calculate the net carbs. Now I want to make sure I understand this whole net carbs thing. So far I've had 6g carbs but g1 of that came from fiber so my net is 5. Does that mean that I can continue to eat carbs until my net carbs for the day are equal to my daily carb goal? If that's the case then I think this just got a bit easier for me.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Okay, I just added Fiber to my diary so I can calculate the net carbs. Now I want to make sure I understand this whole net carbs thing. So far I've had 6g carbs but g1 of that came from fiber so my net is 5. Does that mean that I can continue to eat carbs until my net carbs for the day are equal to my daily carb goal? If that's the case then I think this just got a bit easier for me.

Yes, doing it that way is an option, and I think if it's less overwhelming for you, go for it! You can get quite a bit of vegetables in the lower amounts of carbs, but you have to know what ones work best, and that takes time. In the meantime, I think using net carbs is worth a try.

CavemanKeto has a great tutorial on how to add a couple of custom scripts to MyFitnessPal that can help you with your keto goals. The second one, in particular, will put an extra column (and a bunch of other goodies) in your diary for Net Carbs. Helps to save having to do the math manually all the time.