What are your most useful weight loss tools?

Options
retirehappy
retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
I was just wondering what tools and tricks everyone uses to keep yourself of track, to keep motivated, or whatever, as long as it helps you with your weight loss journey.

I can think of few that seem to be must haves for me.

1) Smartphone with MyFitnessPal installed (and logging daily, doesn't work when I don't log!!!!)

2) My digital scale that measures in grams or ounces mode. Tells me what I am eating.

3) Apps that track my heart rate via my bluetooth heart rate monitor so I know I am getting more fit and keeping myself in the "zone". (One advantage of getting older you get in the zone and stay there more because it is lower than for the twentysomethings >:)

4) Water bottle, my constant companion <3

5) Accurate measurement tools. Measuring spoons are not always correct. Make sure yours measure as they should. Most of the measuring cups are accurate, but check them to make sure they are.

Can't wait to see what others are doing.

Replies

• Fig_1946
    Fig_1946 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My scale...lets me see my weight

My clothes...how they're fitting measures progress

5# barbells for exercise

Small plate, small spoon to eat with
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    My digital scale is absolutely my most essential tool. It allows me to measure portions with more precision and makes this whole adventure so much easier. Other than that, my Food Diary and my Exercise Diary. Writing down everything - EVERY LITTLE MORSEL - that I eat is so helpful. Writing down my exercise keeps me motivated to mix it up and try to challenge myself to do better.

The MFP community has been such a great support! Thanks to everyone that helps keep this site going.
  • ker95texas
    ker95texas Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Mine are (not in order of importance)

1) My digital bathroom scale (although I always round up to the nearest pound)
    2) My Fitbit zip - it keeps me moving more than I ever thought possible
    3) My blender - I use protein shakes a LOT mostly due to laziness, and they make the shakes from blah to yummy (with some add-ons LOL)
    4) My head. I'm training myself with messages as responses to bad habits. 'I don't eat candy'. 'I wait at least three hours between eating.' Actually works - mostly
    5) The biggest one - MFP in all forms, and the wonderful folks who are working towards similar goals.

interesting forum topic - thank you for starting!
    -ker
  • lkw0311
    lkw0311 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, of course MFP is key. I also have a Fitbit. Would love to add more friends from this group so please feel free.
  • mxchana
    edited October 2014
    Options
    ker95texas wrote: »
    My head. I'm training myself with messages as responses to bad habits.

Love this one, ker ... so true how important this is!
  • charrisonwms
    charrisonwms Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    MFP, Fitbit, exercise regime and my scale!
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    My community center membership. My pedometer. My smartphone and various smartphone apps like MapMyWalk, Instant Heart Rate, Samsung walking mate, hulu, play music ... MFP and all of you here!
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Charlie,
    Just downloaded MapMyWalk and connected it to MFP. It looks very promising. Does it work well for you?
  • bvifun
    bvifun Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    1. My iPad!!! With MFP of course. I use my phone too but not as much as my iPad.
    2. Measuring spoons and cups. Contrary to most of the advice on MFP I found no problem with using these.
    3. Kitchen scale. I used a mechanical scale and then bought myself a digital scale for maintenance. Um yeah....it is easier to use.
    4. Bathroom scale. Once a week has just never kept me consistent so I weigh myself most days.
    5. Runtastic helped but no longer seems to link to MFP.
    6. FRIENDS. You/they are more than tools but the support I have received has been the biggest factor in weight loss. (Especially from DH)
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    I like MapMyWalk, but some others find it less helpful. I like it because it takes into account inclines. Just remember that if walking and you need to stop. Stop completely until you can go again. That way the clock will stop, too, and resume when you do. I link it to MFP that way the walk is logged as soon as I save it. It also takes into account my current weight that way and I think we log stride in MapMyWalk, too. Makes a difference. Depending on the length of our legs depends on how many calories we burn in a mile. Two people, walk a mile in the same time. The short one (or rather shortest stride) will burn more calories.
  • Wooken3
    Wooken3 Posts: 634 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Depending on the length of our legs depends on how many calories we burn in a mile. Two people, walk a mile in the same time. The short one (or rather shortest stride) will burn more calories.

So true...
    9dof5qve7zkz.jpg
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    Wooken3 wrote: »
    Depending on the length of our legs depends on how many calories we burn in a mile. Two people, walk a mile in the same time. The short one (or rather shortest stride) will burn more calories.

So true...
    9dof5qve7zkz.jpg

Love this. Average stride is 31". That is what all the generic charts go by. Mine is only 21". That is why pedometers or calculators that first ask for your stride are more accurate!
  • jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Have to admit, I have got a bit fed up with relying on Apps to tell me what I am doing......so at the moment I am App Free and just using my trusty old Pedometer as a good guide to steps.....I really don't care to know how many calories I have burned ( as all devices tell me different things...) .... as long as my body gets rid of them!

Jean :smiley:
  • retirehappy
    Options
    . Makes a difference. Depending on the length of our legs depends on how many calories we burn in a mile. Two people, walk a mile in the same time. The short one (or rather shortest stride) will burn more calories.

I get that, I am 5'3 with shoes on :)

I live in Colorado and like that the altitude gains show in it. I did install it and I am loving it. Makes me want to go out and do a walk, sometimes two a day now. I live at slightly over 6000 ft most people can't breath well at that altitude and when I got into the mountains to hike, it can be easily 8K, and up to around 10K. I am getting used to the 8K but the 10K still makes me gasp for air. Next summer I will look back on this and laugh though, just have to train for the altitude.

• sharondtd
    sharondtd Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    best tool is positive, accurate, and helpful feedback from the MFP friends. The encouragement is vital, and seeing others are accomplishing so much makes this journey to better fitness easier.
  • debneeds2beskinny
    debneeds2beskinny Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    my attitude has the biggest bearing on how I do; MFP is awesome; my digital scale for food and my fat fanny (two separate scales); pacer app and my husband.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    1 through 5 - logging all food and exercise
    6 through n - all the encouragement received from you guys and other people on MFP

really helpful - a gym membership to exercise indoors and the social atmosphere encouraging you to work out.. I got a cheap one to Planet Fitness. DW gave me a second membership to a nicer gym in town.
  • chopsart
    chopsart Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit, digital scale, and my clothes!
  • learntolive
    learntolive Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Planning my food in advance helps me the most. I can enter what I'm planning to eat, if I'm over, I can tweak it before I eat it.
  • mxchana
    Options
    Planning my food in advance helps me the most. I can enter what I'm planning to eat, if I'm over, I can tweak it before I eat it.

This is something that really helps me, too. I really prefer to plan in advance.