Daily check in - NoVEmbeR give up!

Options

Replies

• TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    @ Krok -- You are seriously a superhero! I don't think I would have powered through a headache and bleeding fingertip.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Workout A (Sun)

Dumbbell Side Bends - 5 x 10 - 40

Overhead Press, Barbell - 5 x 5 - 70

Barbel Row, Bent Over - 5 x 5 - 105

Flat dumbbell flys - 5 x 10 - 40

Leg Extension - 5 x 5 - 45

Reverse Curls - 5 x 5 - 105

underhand bicep curls 5 x 5 - 130

squats 5 X 5 - 200

Incline obliques - 5 x 40 (20 each side)
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    logg1e wrote: »

wait . . . what? i've been doing like that all along!

I'm sorry, that made me smile canadian I pause for a split second at the bottom, concentrating on my form and even with that I've had advice to speed up.

oh wow. if pause squats are brutal and much harder than the regular kind . . . just think how much heavier we might be able to go if we can just figure out how to do that speed-it-up thing. we'll be superheroes!

• coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    FINALLY back to lifting after having some issues with my arm, and it felt great! I was on Workout B today, deloaded since I've been out for almost a month.

Squats 65 lbs 5x5
    OHP 45 5x5: I was expecting these to be really difficult after so much time away, but they felt good.
    Deadlift 75 lbs 1x5
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Rows! Dem Rows!

82.5x3
    92.5x3
    105x9
    85x14

EMOTM x8 1 legged double KB deadlift (20lbs in each hand) / leg
    was getting pretty tough by the 7th minute!

6 min AMRAP
    DB renegade rows x4 @15lbs
    KB half turkish get-up @ 20lbs

I think i made 5 rounds. Not 100% sure lol

anothe r6 min AMRAP to finish off
    - Double KB cleans @ 20lbs x 3, 6, 9, 12, 2
    - lateral hand plank walks 10ft and back x 1, 2, 3, 4

My shoulders are toast! Looking forward to soccer tonight as I may not be the only girl for once! Yay lol
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    First "B" Workout:

Squat 5 x 5 30 lb
    OH Press 5 x 5 30 lb
    Deadlift 1 x 5 50 lb

Feels good. My posture has improved already! DOMS not too bad today (we'll see if this holds true tomorrow :-))
  • meglo91
    meglo91 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, couldn't post last week due to crappy internet, so here's Friday's workout:

Squat: Warm-ups, then 5x5@135. lbs. These felt good but hard.
    Deadlifts: Warmups then 1x5@150. So far so good.

Totally skipped OHPs as my right shoulder has been in serious pain for a week. Tried to do some hammer curls with 20 lb weights in each hand instead, with vague ideas of skullcrushers to follow, but my shoulder was just not having it.

So, with the shoulder injury and Thanksgiving and all, I'm making this a rest week. My head has not been in the game recently, and it's time to re-focus. This week I'm giving myself permission to perform mindless cardio for 30-40 minutes, stretch, shower, and go home. And hopefully by next Monday I'll feel ready to lift all the heavy things again.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Workout B - take 2

Met with trainer. She definitely was nice and helped me with form. I struggled a bit in the warm up stuff when she changed the form on my push-up using a rail cause I can't do on the floor ones. The elbow tucked in just doesn't work well for me right now and I got a little flustered. Foam rolling was special in that I don't have enough ability to hold my body up long enough on some of them. I didn't feel much of anything in the hamstring one. Back ones were different though. I'll give it a try for a few weeks and see how it goes, though might do the trx first as that seemed to help my shoulders before squats. Also did a couple warm up sets on the squat and ohp.

Squat - 5x5 @ 65 (tad tough because of extra focus on form and a few corrections)
    OHP - 2x5 then 2x4 and 1x3 @ 50 (form was off so fixing made it difficult, will go back to bar to work on form more)
    Deadlift - 1x5 @ 65

Deadlift was low to the ground and we had a little disconnect over how to go about the form just because the lower weight bars are too low to the ground and she thought I was saying I wanted to lift heavier. I just wanted to make sure i would still do proper form once I got to the actual set up. Next time I'll add 20's instead of the 10's and do plates under them. I could had added plates when she left and I finished my set but I was almost done and we weren't even set up in the deadlift spot, so I just had to go lower to pick them up for this set, but I put them down on the ground each time. So, step forward. It was an easy weight so next time should be fine with a bit of an extra increase as I work my way up to the 45's.

Now to work on my eating and get some protein, which she discussed with me too. All about the protein, lol.
  • sing809
    sing809 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I just started strong lift a couple of weeks ago after reading about it on MFP. I had already been doing other weights in the gym, but the only strong lift exercise I had done before was bench pressing.

My last 2 workouts:
    Squat 5x5 @ 70
    Bench Press 5x5 @85
    Barbell Row 5x5 @55
    Overhead Press 5x5 @55
    Deadlift 1x5 @100

I am starting to feel a difference already now that I am incorporating these into my regular exercise routine. I love that I am already starting to feel stronger, but I am a little nervous about injuring myself. Is there a point where you decide that maybe it isn't a good idea to add another 5 pounds even if you are getting through all your reps?
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Squat day!
    5 @ 87.5, 110, 132.5, 152.5, 180 then 10 @ 135
    Reps 1 and 2 @ 180 were ok, rep 3 was ehhhhhh and 4 and 5 were crap. Going to repeat this string next week.

More squats!
    13, 15, then 20 @ 117.5
    Didn't have time for more accessories. Sad face.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    krokador wrote: »
    Rows! Dem Rows!

82.5x3
    92.5x3
    105x9
    85x14

Krok -- what's your opinion on the squeeze at the top of rows? Is it necessary? When do you know when to go up on weight vs. when to stay? I know I could go heavier with these, but feel like I miss on the full range of motion when I do. Thanks in advance.

• TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    sing809 wrote: »
    I just started strong lift a couple of weeks ago after reading about it on MFP. I had already been doing other weights in the gym, but the only strong lift exercise I had done before was bench pressing.

My last 2 workouts:
    Squat 5x5 @ 70
    Bench Press 5x5 @85
    Barbell Row 5x5 @55
    Overhead Press 5x5 @55
    Deadlift 1x5 @100

I am starting to feel a difference already now that I am incorporating these into my regular exercise routine. I love that I am already starting to feel stronger, but I am a little nervous about injuring myself. Is there a point where you decide that maybe it isn't a good idea to add another 5 pounds even if you are getting through all your reps?

Nice job!

Regarding adding more weight:

First, I ended up getting some fractional plates (a pair of 1.25 lbs plates) so I could move up in smaller increments, especially on the bench press and OHP.

Second, if you're getting through all your reps *with good form* then I think go ahead and add the five pounds next time. If your form feels off, or if you're just eeking out the last few reps, then trust your gut and repeat the same weight if you're concerned.

With that said, you WILL be stronger on tomorrow than you were yesterday, so don't psyche yourself into staying in your comfort zone. You can always try the new weight and see how it feels, and if you're concerned, drop down and repeat what you did on that lift in the previous session.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    crabada wrote: »
    krokador wrote: »
    Rows! Dem Rows!

82.5x3
    92.5x3
    105x9
    85x14

Krok -- what's your opinion on the squeeze at the top of rows? Is it necessary? When do you know when to go up on weight vs. when to stay? I know I could go heavier with these, but feel like I miss on the full range of motion when I do. Thanks in advance.

Tough to say as I've only been focusing on keeping that squeeze more than half a second for a few weeks. I'm really feeling them today, I gotta say! Siwtching to the 5/3/1 model has seemed to give me more, I don't know, humpf on the last set though. Doing 5x5 with those always had me feeling like my reps after the 3rds set were all crappy. Now I only have 1 really heavy set and add some volume afterwards. It seems to make a difference - but again, I can't say for sure as I haven't even compelted a full cycle yet xD

I think the pause in itself isn't all that important, but the full ROM is what builds the strength. I think at some point though, you have to move up in weight and get as many clean, full reps as possible, even if 2-3 at the end use some momentum. If anything just to get that stretch on the way down with higher weight so you can maximize your power output when pulling - that's the point of the pendlay rows: Bar speed from a dead stop on the ground.

(And hey, that carries over to the oly lifts! :) Also, a lil bit to the deadlift. That squeeze strength allows you to keep your shoulders and arms squared when pulling really heavy, so no rounded back and a cleaner, faster pull!)
  • SkepticalOwl
    SkepticalOwl Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Workout B today:

Squats: 3x5@95,2x5@100
    OHP: 5x5@50
    DL: 5@135,2@155,3@135

Also ran 3 miles.

Wasn't really feeling it today. I hope Thursdsy will be better...
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Wasn't really feeling like lifting last night - had taken three days off over the weekend (usual two days then an extra day with busy work stuff), but once I got out there I loved it as per normal!!
    -
    Squat 5x5 @ 150lbs
    Bench 4x5 1x4 @ 85lbs - had to roll of shame the last rep
    Row 5x5 @ 90lbs - gonna stay here, they weren't pretty

then some playing around with lat pulldowns, front squats with a press etc. ouch today and give me all the foooooooooooodz!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Chest and Triceps Day!

Bench Press, Incline Bench, Assisted Pull ups, Iso Chest and Triceps work, Dumbbell Fly (with a superset of Curls), Triceps Extensions (with a superset of Hammer Curls), Core work, Chest and Triceps cable work, HIIT (1:30 min on, 2 min off) for 36 minutes. Finished with foam rolling and yoga stretches. Total workout time: 2 hours 45 minutes.
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Really struggling getting my Stronglifts in >.< Still pretty good about getting to the gym but I have football conditioning/group strength training Mondays, so I usually need Sunday / Tuesdays "off" from heavy lifting or I'm exhausted...

Last Stronglifts workout was Saturday though, and much better than my Thursday lift!
    - 5x5 Squats @ 165 lbs - repeat of Thursday's weight because Thursday I was MISERABLE.
    - 5x5 Bench @ 115 lbs - first attempt at 115 was successful! I was pretty happy with this. It was a slow climb up... but I managed. Going to stick with this weight maybe for this week before upping it.
    - 5x5 Row @ 90 lbs - feel much better about form this time around =)

Just for pity, this was the workout yesterday:

3x8 per arm DB snatchs @ 35
    Superset:
    a) 4x8 per leg Bulgarian split squats, 20lbs DB per arm (owwwwwww)
    b) 4x15 per leg single leg hip lifts
    Second Superset
    a) 4x8 Barbell RDL (135 lbs)
    b) OH Squats (25lbs)
    Third Superset
    a) 3x 10 Cossack Squats (25 lbs)
    b) 3 x 10 Ball Hammies
    Finished up with some prowler, then core work. Can't feel my butt today

For those of you who have moved to 5-3-1 what made you decide to do it? I'm really struggling with upping the weight consistently on my rows/ohp/bench. Squats are ok for now since I deloaded a while ago, but I have a feeling I'll hit that "plateau" soon.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    arrrrjt wrote: »
    For those of you who have moved to 5-3-1 what made you decide to do it? I'm really struggling with upping the weight consistently on my rows/ohp/bench. Squats are ok for now since I deloaded a while ago, but I have a feeling I'll hit that "plateau" soon.

I got bored with SL so I decided to do my own thing.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Workout B today, squat warmup 5@45, 5x5@ 90, OHP 5x5@45 (finally got through all 5 sets!), deadlift 5@-120 lbs. did some curls @20lbs( 30 lb bar was taken, 20 is too light) triceps@15 lbs& 20. Cardio was walking on treadmill.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    took the day off work, so i got to go lift in the early afternoon when there weren't nearly as many people around, yay. workout a:

squats: 2x5@45, 2x5@65, 5x5@90. i'm happy, people. 90lb squats was my november goal, with a hope of making it 100lbs by the end of the year. i've been stuck at/clinging to 85 for a while, and 95 is def. still too heavy for me. but i made my 90lb with mostly good form and they were definitely 'challenging' again. so this gives me a month to add 10 more pounds and get to that milestone by dec 31.

bench: 2x5@45, 5x5@65. feels like a really long long time since i've benched. 65 was my weight the last time as well, but i think it was the right one this time. they were slow and hard going up and i kept fooling around with grip width, but overall a good day for bench.

rows: still messy. i did some seated ones with the cable machine at low weights, then happened to start chatting to the woman at the desk and mentioned how much i hate rows. she offered to watch my form and give me tips, so i took her up on it and went back to the full pendlay form. she did give me a few corrections but said that overall i was doing them pretty much right . . . which was nice since i never can tell with the little b****s. anyway, even the little corrections exposed me to new limiting factors in muscles i wasn't using. in the end i did 5x5@60, but that came after quite a number of earlier sets with less weight. i feel like i done did mah rows for the week, and leave me be.

other: no planks, but pulldowns again, and again a lot more interest in pulling my shoulders into good alignment against the weight of the bar. and THEN doing the pull. i'm definitely stronger, though not sure by how much since i mostly just do them for fun. someone left the machine on 100lb and when i tried that just to see what would happen, i pulled my own feet off the floor :D

also did 2x5@45 on ohp, because why not. i had a guy put himself into the lineup after me for the rack, and when i'd finished my squats he was still stretching. so i basically offered to 'hold' the rack for him until he was ready by doing other stuff, which worked out for us both. spent it doing the ohps, and also just squatting with only the bar, to feel for the sensory feedback and muscle recruitment down there, starting back up out of the hole.

and finally, no deadlifting. i be'd have. but after my rows were completed, i DID do about 20 reps of roumanian deadlifts with just the 30lb bar, once again practicing the whole thing of loading the hamstrings and then opening up the hip hinge.