Tools of the Trade

Options
Do you have a piece of gear that you can't swim without and want to recommend it? Post it here. This thread is for all the gear you need, want, or dream of. Feel free to post reviews of new gear, previews of up coming running gear, and the gear that got you started!

PS - Saw this in another group and thought we need one here too)!

Replies

• NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Goggles. Cap and watch are second and third.

Now I'd love to have one of those watches that can detect stroke and all that. But mostly, I'm a purist.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    optical goggles.+4 strength.
    the joy of being able to see the clock at 25m is lovely.
    also good for peeking around underwater!
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    definitely optical goggles +8 strength. I can see where the beach is to swim back if I were to lose them, other than that my natural sight is pretty vague!
    Also a bright orange reflective tow buoy for swimming where there might be canoeists, small craft and not so small craft! - and a bright orange swim cap.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Waterproof iPod!!!!!!! And, of course, a bathing suit ;)
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Currently swimming briefs, goggles, stopwatch and ear plugs!

Hoping to soon get by end of year - Neptune Finis music player and magic tempo pro app to set music playlist to fixed stroke rate/ beats per minute

In the more distant future, Garmin Swim :smile:
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
    And in the even more distant future optical goggles (yogi Carl and CW made me realise it must be fun to see clearly even in the pool)
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    optical goggles have definitely made such a difference to my swimming - both in the pool and outside in open water. Correct body alignment in the pool and navigation in open water by being able to focus on objects further away and of course a far better and more beautiful experience in open water being able to see Nature surrounding my swim.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I am fine swimming with nothing but my suit, but I have a few little toys and gadgets that have either helped or made it more interesting.

I really like the finis forearm fulcrums, they were cheap and the first time I wore them I could see an improvement in each of my strokes. I only wear them for a lap or so, and share them so they were really worth it. Not something I need everytime, but a good refresher and they were wonderful to help explain strokes to a first time swimmer.

Another Finis thing was the Positive Drive Fins, they are shaped in a way you can use them for all strokes including breaststroke. Not many fins work with breakstroke, and I can really feel the extra effort in my butt after swimming with them. Also it's nice to go a bit faster with breaststroke on days where I feel like I'm barely moving. I use these fairly often, but try to swim without fins for some of the laps so I don't get totally used to them.

I just use speedo vanquisher goggles, they were really affordable and my husband got the optic version for the same price. They just work, nothing special but nothing to complain about.

When my goggles do fog I use Jaws Quick Spit Antifog Spray, I do a spray on each side and wash them with cold water and they are fine for several more sessions. I don't know if it's the best or anything, it's all I've tried but it seems to work well enough. I've heard licking your goggles will help but I don't want to do that.

My husband just learned to swim this year so he uses a snorkel with some stokes, he said it's nice because it helps him focus on the technique without panicking for breath. He uses a Finis Swimmer's Snorkel. I've tried it but I'm so accustomed to blowing air out the second my face enters the water that I just can't get used to a snorkel, I can't keep a nose clip on without blowing it off mid lap so I will stick to coming up for air. I thought I would mention it because it seems to serve him well.

I like using a kickboard sometimes to do a lap or two of kick drills just to mix it up. I just use one of the boards at the gym that doesn't have bite marks on it. I may pick up my own at some point but it's not really important.

I wear my Polar FT4, so I can keep track of my time and heart rate but I will be ditching it for a swim watch at some point so I can let it count my laps for me. It's really accurate and affordable for a HRM, so if you are wanting to keep track of calories while swimming it's a cheaper option than most of the swim watches.

We both have a UwaterG5 Mp3 player, it's so tiny and lightweight that it clips to our goggle strap and we can't really feel it while swimming. It's got an 8 hour playtime and only takes a few minutes to charge. It's go a much better storage space than we could ever use and it was pretty affordable so we aren't worried about breaking it like we would if we used a waterproof ipod. Bonus, when I wear it the headphones keep water out of my ears and it really cuts down on ambient pool noise like kids screaming and the loud drying fans. If you've never swam with music you are missing out! There are many different styles of MP3 players, some use bone induction so you don't even wear headphones but I am sticking with this one.

I wear a THT swim cap, it's some random off brand on amazon. I like that it covers my ears, it's easier to keep chlorine off my hair and to keep my headphones in. I have really long hair and it stays mostly dry when I stick it in a bun. I still wash it right afterword, I have tried two of the chlorine removing shampoos and can't really tell a difference so I won't recommend one over another. Triswim also makes a body wash, and it works so well that I can smell chlorine on a tiny spot on my arm when I've missed a spot. I don't know that it works any better than normal soap though really.

I can't speak for men, but for ladies it's so worth getting a good quality swim suit. I used to just swim in whatever suit I had picked up on sale but I got a chlorine resistant suit from speedo a few months back and don't think I could wear a normal suit again. At first it was like swimming in a corset with all the reinforced panels and stitching but once I got used to it I really appreciate that it stays in place and is supportive while I'm moving around. On the plus side, it's much more flattering than my old suits that would stretch out after a few times in the suit dryer/spinner thing. It's good to feel comfortable when swimming in a public place. I got a style that was a 'conservative' cut and I no longer feel like I need to wear a cover up or be self-conscious when getting in/out because I know it will stay in place.

They make mesh gear bags and they are so huge that we are able to share one and trade off who carries it when we both go. I think it was $9 and it has held up really well with two sets of fins and everything in it and it's kept everything dry (including the car.) It seems to drain pretty quickly.

Again, I would be totally happy just me and the water but most of the things we've picked up have been pretty helpful.
  • Leaping_Lemur
    Leaping_Lemur Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I would feel naked without my swimsuit.
  • bama6977
    bama6977 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I would feel naked without my swimsuit.

And your feelings would be correct!! :):)

For me Swimsuit, goggles and Baby shampoo for the goggles.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    My AudioFlood waterproof iPod!
  • AquaticQuests
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Now added Neptune Finis and loving it!
    4inexj8hl2ys.jpg
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
    sheepotato wrote: »
    I am fine swimming with nothing but my suit, but I have a few little toys and gadgets that have either helped or made it more interesting.

... When my goggles do fog I use Jaws Quick Spit Antifog Spray, I do a spray on each side and wash them with cold water and they are fine for several more sessions. I don't know if it's the best or anything, it's all I've tried but it seems to work well enough. I've heard licking your goggles will help but I don't want to do that...

My goggles have been fogging and as I don't have the spray, may just try your 'licking' solution, and a quick mouthwash thereafter :blush:

• bama6977
    bama6977 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    For anti-fogging I use baby shampoo. Couple of drops and quick rinse they won't fog. Do the same with my SCUBA mask when I dive. Problem with licking or spitting in your goggles or mask, even though it works, is that it could lead to eye infection
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I don't use any music device. Takes away from the meditative benefit.
    I use TYR Burner fins for kick board laps.
    Eye's are bad enough yet to pay for script goggles. I use Aquasphere goggles that sit on the orbital bone instead of inside. Less press on the eye.
    I use a digital finger ring style lap counter. Hard to keep track when your doing 110 laps (120 today).
    Favorite swim suit is the Speed Endurance Race jammer. Out last every other brand I have tried.
    Speedo cap.
    Defogging? I found found that just wiping the lenses with the leg of my jammer works just fine. Don't even have to spit in them.
  • AquaticQuests
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Disconcerting when there is water inside the unit on Day Two (although it still works).
    I did get it off eBay in the hope that the used product would be proven, and I wouldn't get caught with a brand new dud off amazon (returns are not an option for me)!
    Oh well, let's see how long it lasts!
    js3zjo20nq4v.jpg
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    My people. You will understand.

My pool replaced its trusty pace clock with one of those newfangled "digital" things. This is a problem, because it turns out I do not figure swim time in numbers, I measure in fractions of a circle. You cannot make colorful mental pie charts out of digital.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options

My pool replaced its trusty pace clock with one of those newfangled "digital" things. This is a problem, because it turns out I do not figure swim time in numbers, I measure in fractions of a circle. You cannot make colorful mental pie charts out of digital.

I just try to beat the second hand around :)
  • AquaticQuests
    edited February 2015
    Options
    lt36fsapgfdy.jpg

Tempo Magic Pro for IOS. Use it to set playlist to fixed tempo, then record it onto external device then dump it onto my swim MP3 player, enabling me to swim at fixed stroke rate.
    It's been a revelation. When my rate of turnover slows I am now immediately aware of it! Feels like a treadmill set to a fixed speed!
  • AquaticQuests
    Options

Lol colorful mental pie charts. Lol