Other low-carb-ish MFP groups?

Options
I checked out of MFP for a while, and then when I checked back in, they seem to have removed the search function for groups. I don't know about you, but I like being a part of various groups, and now its seemingly hit or miss as to how I might find them! I'm a member of an Atkins group which has no activity whatsoever, and am looking for others. So, if you all are members of any other similar groups (primal, paleo, low-carb, controlled carb, etc), I'd appreciate your sharing the wealth.

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I will look forward to seeing if any reply. Being relative new to this concept I like to read from as many angles as possible but there are only so many hours in the day. Youtube has been a good source for opposing views in the low carb community. MFP I hope will evolve into a more open community for all by seeing the human verbal abuse come to a stop.
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    The problems with some groups is their dogmatic structure... and the regular forum is a crap shoot... By that I mean, full of crap. (Would you date the person above you) ..
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I checked out of MFP for a while, and then when I checked back in, they seem to have removed the search function for groups. I don't know about you, but I like being a part of various groups, and now its seemingly hit or miss as to how I might find them! I'm a member of an Atkins group which has no activity whatsoever, and am looking for others. So, if you all are members of any other similar groups (primal, paleo, low-carb, controlled carb, etc), I'd appreciate your sharing the wealth.
    Tati;

The "Groups" (as opposed to the "Forums") lost the search function when MFP switched the software engine driving the show.

The change was met with mixed reactions, much of which was simply the inherent resistance to change that frequently occurs. In some ways the features of the old system were better, in some ways the new are. Overall (IMO) it was a change for the better.

At the time of the change MFP indicated that "some" features that were not implemented immediately, would be as time goes on. That's not unusual, especially with a system that involves the number of records and interactions that this one does.

The search function for "groups" is one of those that "might/should/hopefully" will be coming but it's just a "wait and see". It can't hurt to send them a little love note requesting/begging/pleading for them to do so, but if history is any guide, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for either a response (other than a robo) or it to happen.

The "groups" as a whole have always been a "step-child" (no offense intended to "real" step children - it's a figure of speech) to MFP and not a real high priority. (Per the recent discussion on another thread -that's not always a bad thing<g> - but it is what it is.)

So where does that leave you?

To my knowledge, the only way to locate other groups (aside from the top 10 or so that you see on the "groups" homepage) is to manually scroll through the list (which is miles long).

The list is ordered by number of group members so as you go down the member base decreases, and while not a direct correlation, so too (probably) does the "activity" - even some (many) of the "top" members groups have much less frequent activity than you might be used to here.

It's not unusual for even groups relatively near the "top" (in member count) to go a couple days or more between postings.

While others may disagree, group activity (to me) is an important part of it. Folks looking for answers (or opinions) on a question don't generally want to wait 2 or 3 days and more importantly, more active members means more diversity of suggestions and that's a GOOD thing.

Personally, I have about 6-8 groups on my list but only a couple I focus on daily - the others are just too inactive to be of much value (to me). Even within the 7, I'll drop some and add new ones every once in a while.

You've likely seen most of mine but here goes:
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/37-primal-paleo-support-group
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100212-low-carb-challenge
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/133-clean-eating-group
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/148-recipe-swap
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/5268-atkins-support-group
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1494-reddit-keto
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1772-type-2-diabetes-support-group

Regarding the "human verbal abuse" - while it would be a wonderful thing, it's not likely to happen in the "litterbox/swamp" (Main Forums) - any time soon<g>

• tatiianag13
    tatiianag13 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Its true, groups are hit or miss. In part, that's why I like belonging to more than one. I can take what I want from each and leave the trolls and zealots to fight amongst themselves.

And thanks for your list, Deansdad. I'm too lazy to scroll through the endless pages!
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    kkimpel wrote: »
    The problems with some groups is their dogmatic structure... and the regular forum is a crap shoot... By that I mean, full of crap. (Would you date the person above you) ..

Thanks for the laugh at the end of a serious day. :)

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

btw, there IS a way to hide certain forum categories like the humping one.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

One approach would be to go to the groups and look for "most popular". A few of the low carb ones are there. But then, the south beach one I moderate is there and I'm the only who posts. :)
  • GaleHawkins
    Options

That would be a nice feature. Most sites I visit you can 'subscribe' to the threads you post in and do not have to spend hours getting back to them because you are wading through all the rest especially when short on time.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

That would be a nice feature. Most sites I visit you can 'subscribe' to the threads you post in and do not have to spend hours getting back to them because you are wading through all the rest especially when short on time.

You can do it now. I think you just click on that subforum somewhere and it will disappear. I disappeared the humping forum day one after the update.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

You can do it now. I think you just click on that subforum somewhere and it will disappear. I disappeared the humping forum day one after the update.

Oh, that is awesome!

If you want to nix a whole topic (say, "Chit Chat, Fun and Games"), just hover over it and click on the gear, then click "unfollow"! No more garbage of garbage!
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

DD beat me to it, so I'll just say that I second the Primal/Paleo Support Group, Keto, and Reddit Keto, as I'm in those ones, too. They're fairly active regularly (though not nearly as much since the forum change).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Oh, that is awesome!

If you want to nix a whole topic (say, "Chit Chat, Fun and Games"), just hover over it and click on the gear, then click "unfollow"! No more garbage of garbage!

It's a Godsend.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options

Oh, that is awesome!

It's a Godsend.

I'm going to go do that right now. "Would you screw the person above you?" " Who's Your MFP Crush"? "Person above. Hot or So Not." Puke, puke, puke!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

Oh, that is awesome!

It's a Godsend.

I'm going to go do that right now. "Would you screw the person above you?" " Who's Your MFP Crush"? "Person above. Hot or So Not." Puke, puke, puke!

I did it with the entire humping forum. I still wish we could ignore posters again. Captain thread crap of the nipple brigade would be first.
  • Dragonwolf
    edited December 2014
    Options

Oh, that is awesome!

It's a Godsend.

I did it with the entire humping forum. I still wish we could ignore posters again. Captain thread crap of the nipple brigade would be first.

ROFL, that is the best description for him I have ever seen! I love it!

And I agree. Not implementing the ability to ignore users on the forums as one of the up-front/launch things was a bad idea, IMO. Even if they couldn't keep the users' ignore list, there should always be an ability to ignore people without having to cut oneself off from a thread entirely.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options

Oh, that is awesome!

It's a Godsend.

ROFL, that is the best description for him I have ever seen! I love it!

And I agree. Not implementing the ability to ignore users on the forums as one of the up-front/launch things was a bad idea, IMO. Even if they couldn't keep the users' ignore list, there should always be an ability to ignore people without having to cut oneself off from a thread entirely.

Amen to that.