07/12/14 - 13/12/14 Weekly Post

Options
flumi_f
flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
Decided to start a new thread :)

Cookie baking weekend has come to an end. Will pass most of them on as presents soon and keep the rest in the basement. It's safer that way ;-)

After jknights post on mice and fasting, I have decided to incorporate 16:8 on my non fast days. I will stick to my maintenance cals on non fast days, but will skip breakfast and try to stick to the eating window of about 8h. I will do this for the next two weeks and see if it helps shift my last few kilos. If so, I will continue with 16:8 after the holidays. Because I enjoy breakfast, I will probably only do 16:8 on weekdays.

Anybody want to join the experiment?

Replies

• eychenn
    eychenn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Will be so interesting to see your results.

Fast day tomorrow - happy week everyone!
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I too would be interested in your results flumi_f. I am going to try 16:8 for my fast day tomorrow. I will delay my eating until 10am or so. If it goes ok I will continue for my second fast day on Tuesday. Kind of exciting to be conducting our own research study! ;)
  • flumi_f
    Options
    Well, atm I'm up to my highest for a very long time even for a Monday. Cookies, cheese fondue, alcohol...even the light dinner yesterday and my run on Sunday morning didn't make a dent. Lots is water from the carbs, but not all, as the trend over the last few Saturday weigh ins has been slightly upwards. Gotta turn that around. So you can imagine, I too am interested in my results :p
  • snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    flumi_f wrote: »
    Decided to start a new thread :)

Cookie baking weekend has come to an end. Will pass most of them on as presents soon and keep the rest in the basement. It's safer that way ;-)

After jknights post on mice and fasting, I have decided to incorporate 16:8 on my non fast days. I will stick to my maintenance cals on non fast days, but will skip breakfast and try to stick to the eating window of about 8h. I will do this for the next two weeks and see if it helps shift my last few kilos. If so, I will continue with 16:8 after the holidays. Because I enjoy breakfast, I will probably only do 16:8 on weekdays.

Anybody want to join the experiment?

Would love to see your results too! Please let us know. When I was younger, from around 12-22, I never ate breakfast, however it never helped me and I always thought not eating breakfast was making me gain. Although because, at that time, I was not at all watching what I was putting in my mouth in the afternoon, so that is probably what contributed to my gains. Love to see how it would would work with watching and fasting :D .
  • snaps27
    Options
    So, not the greatest weekend for me, first...I've gained :( secondly I was having a nice conversation with my 7 year old daughter about how she doesn't like satsumas. I said, "When I was young and it was Christmas time, my dad used to by a whole box of satsuma and I would sit and eat a whole bunch of them"...my daughter looks at me wide eyed and says, "Oh, so that's why your like this", hand goes up and down. Ouch! Right in the gut :s It's so sad...even though I teach my kids everyone's different and I have banded the words 'skinny' and 'fat' in my house they still have a negative attitude to 'chubbiness'. Oh well I will keep trying.
  • uptightoutasight
    uptightoutasight Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Just finished my fast day. 449 calories. Roll on tomorrow. I always do the 16 hour thing and don't find it difficult because i am not hungry at breakfast time. It is once I start eating that I get hungry and this afternoon I had a snack of a tbs of cottage cheese which helped get me through until dinner. It helps that I love cottage cheese so it was kind of a treat! Good luck everyone.
  • Calahonda1984
    Options
    Flumi - I will join you with the experiment! I read the article with interest, being a scientist I do love a good trial! Maybe we could write up findings and get them published ha! Although we would need a few more willing guinea pigs to get any conclusive evidence...

Snaps - Sorry to hear that but unfortunately however much you have brought your kids up to accept all shapes and sizes, I guess they will still pick up on negative attitudes from others, especially at school! It's sad isn't it but I don't think there is any escaping it - unless all parents too the same attitude as you and educated their children on these matters.

Today is my first fast of the week and so far so good! I will be fasting on Wed and Friday too - after the amount I ate and drank this weekend I dare not get on the scales. I can't even bring myself to tell you what I ate yesterday, it was a horrendous day and I'm ashamed! Although it was tasty...

Back on track now though and time to think up a nice 500cal dinner for later. This week is going to be a strict one!

Jo
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Today it's exactly 3 months since I started on the IF eating protocol journey. I don't care what nay-say'ers in general ridicule about IF way of eating. It not only broke my almost 1 year plateau, I've lost 1 kg every week on average since.

I'm very grateful not only for the weight loss, but also all the other benefits that I'm now enjoying. I feel like I've found some of my old skinny self again. I don't worry, because I know I can do this now. And if it so happens that I gain again I'll have an arsenal of tools and experience to not ever be close to obese.
    I really don't want to moan cause my tummy is too big for me to pick up something from the floor...again.

BMI started at +27. Now it's 22.9
    SW: + 70 kg
    CW: 58.4 kg

I'm down to vanity fat. It'll take the time and sweat needed to get there. No rush. I've given myself a range of 5 kg over and under my goal weight (to comfortably fit into my fav pair of skinny jeans), until I need to take the big guns out.

It may seem like my weight loss has been easy. I don't share all my troubles. We all have our demons and weak moments. Reading the posts in this fantastic group, I recognize most of the experiences and worries you all have been so generous to share. Please remember that I was stalled for a year. I had A LOT of time to brood over and experiment to find out what could be wrong. I was almost at my wits end and severely depressed, cause it seemed like I had done "everything". ...Not so fast, lol...

Now I'm full of hope because any victory - even the tiniest ones are just one small babystep in the right direction ! In 3 hours is videoexam. I could not have done that weight loss combined with all that training if it was unhealthy in any way. Today I'm a very happy woman :)

Ty all for the BEST-EVER group on MFP. You guys are one of the reasons this journey has become far better than I thought it would be :D
  • snaps27
    Options
    'Vanity Fat' I love that <3 One day sooner rather than later I will say the same. I too will give myself wiggle room at the end of my journey. Great job @foamroller!
  • chiccam
    chiccam Posts: 239 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    OP- I'll be interested in your results as well.
    Friday was my first fast day back on track and now today Monday I'm fasting as well.

I'm excited to get back on IF and to just enjoy the controlled freedom I feel while doing it.
    All my clothes are tight!
    You know how you can use a rubber band around your jeans button at the waist while pregnant to gain a little space? Well I'm doing that now?!? So I HAVE to get my weight down, I refuse to buy clothes up a size although I've bought some lounge clothes to get by.

Again this is my second time doing this. My first time I had great success but didn't stick with it and waited too long to get back on track-which is now.

Foam roller-nice to read a success story!!! Congrats!
  • flumi_f
    Options
    Foamie - Congratulations on your great success. I like the vanity fat. That is what I'm working on myself ;-) We'll get there! Oh yes we will! Because we now have a tool to use at our leisure!

My first fast is coming to an end. 16:8 on a fast day no problem as it is my normal protocol. Shall see how I feel tomorrow morning. Chili is cooked and ready for a yummy lunch. Just have to program my mind to follow my wishes :p
  • thecarbmonster
    thecarbmonster Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    @flumi ooo I need to look back and find the post, but I am definitely on!

I'm not a breakfast person (and I need the help saying "NOOOO!" to Chickfila breakfast on my TDEE days [just cause it fits in my calories doesn't mean it needs to happen!) so I normally wait to lunch or later anyways.

I'm going to set my eating window at 11am-7pm for 16:8 fasting. I am coming off TOM (sorry guys haha) so I expect a bit of weight shifting this week anyways, but I need the regiment to get me though mindless eating during holidays. No need to eat food when my body doesn't need it!!!

• eychenn
    Options
    @foamroller thank you for posting - so inspiring! I am around that SW and your CW is my first goal weight, so I loved reading your story.

Question for everyone... I sometimes weigh myself throughout the week (I know... I try to keep it to once a week but it's just right there!). The number is usually up from the lowest # day after fast day. Does that happen to everyone else? (hope that question made sense).
  • maphammonds
    maphammonds Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    @foamroller - thanks for sharing! Very inspiring.

@flumi - I'm interested in your results as well.

I was considering going from 5:2 to 4:3 beacuse I haven't really seen any loss (this is my 3rd week of IF - and yes, I'm impatient!). Maybe I'll try the 16:8 principle on my feast days first.
  • flumi_f
    Options
    @eychenn - fluctuations are normal. On a fasting / maintenance program they can even be a bit bigger. I weigh daily. My highest weight is normally Monday morning, due to more food and more grain carbs on the weekend. If I didn't go overboard, most of the 1-3lb weekend gain are water and come off on the monday fast. My lowest weight is usually after my second fast (Friday morning). I take Saturday morning as my official weekly weight and watch that trend from week to week. My official monthly weight is on the 29th as I started on the 29th. As long as those to values are in my acceptable range, all is good.

Don't let the fluctuations get to you. They are completely normal. Just pick a day per week or month and track that.
  • flumi_f
    Options
    @carbi - here is the link to jknights original post and the link to the article.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10030223/mice-and-16-hour-fasts#Item_8
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    snaps27 wrote: »
    my dad used to by a whole box of satsuma and I would sit and eat a whole bunch of them"...my daughter looks at me wide eyed and says, "Oh, so that's why your like this", hand goes up and down. Ouch! Right in the gut :s It's so sad...even though I teach my kids everyone's different and I have banded the words 'skinny' and 'fat' in my house they still have a negative attitude to 'chubbiness'. Oh well I will keep trying.

Snaps27 - that is very painful. Especially to hear it from a family member. I will say one thing though, when it comes to saying the truth in love, 7 year olds are very good at the truth part but are still working on the love part. I bet in her heart, your daughter thinks you are the best mom on the planet no matter what shape you are. :smile:

• eychenn
    edited December 2014
    Options
    flumi_f wrote: »
    @eychenn - fluctuations are normal. On a fasting / maintenance program they can even be a bit bigger. I weigh daily. My highest weight is normally Monday morning, due to more food and more grain carbs on the weekend. If I didn't go overboard, most of the 1-3lb weekend gain are water and come off on the monday fast. My lowest weight is usually after my second fast (Friday morning). I take Saturday morning as my official weekly weight and watch that trend from week to week. My official monthly weight is on the 29th as I started on the 29th. As long as those to values are in my acceptable range, all is good.

Don't let the fluctuations get to you. They are completely normal. Just pick a day per week or month and track that.

yes that makes a lot of sense for a Monday. today's my fast day and we'll see tomorrow! thanks for your insight :)
  • uptightoutasight
    uptightoutasight Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Foam roller, Go you! I hope to emulate you. So far between 3 and 4 kilos lost in a couple of months. I am happy.
  • flumi_f
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Here I am ;-) The text is really small on a small screen and she kind of exaggerates a bit about 5:2...but it's in German anyway.

stadi-online.ch/PDF/Ausgabe/091214/#20-21