Newbie - Morbidly Obese seeking reassurance

Options

Replies

• archanajoyce
    archanajoyce Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    It sounds terrifying, I get it. I'm on week 3 and I'm terrified of week 4 :neutral_face:

But your body does amazing things! You might think you can't, and it's all completely psychological. If you just try it, I think you'll be surprised as to what your body can do. When I first started I was like there's no way I can run for 3 minutes let alone 8 minutes, or 20. But when I got to the 3 minute portion I just said to myself, try it - see where you get with it. I will admit my first 3 minute run was waaaaay stronger than my second and third one but I think I am going to repeat week 3 next week to ensure I feel comfy with it before moving on.

I think it's mostly psychological, you've got this and you can do it. I am only running at 3.8 miles/hour right now - and that's slow BUT I'm getting there and I'm doing it. You can do it, you will get there :) Just have faith in the process and keep going.

My internet has been giving me some issues so I couldn't get on a laptop and into this forum for sometime.
    acorsaut89 : You are absolutely right. I'm on W3 now and I can keep moving until the lady says "your workout is complete"... Oh I could just kiss her then! My husband also says that it is more psychological. I keep both of you in mind when I reach my breaking point. That seems to work for me :)
  • archanajoyce
    Options
    MizT94 wrote: »
    Good going. Remember every extra step from the time before is progress. Just remember to keep it slow to avoid injury.

Well done on getting this far.
    Thank you MizT94. I'll remember to keep it slow. You are right, an injury now will be devastating.
  • archanajoyce
    Options
    ggoss10 wrote: »
    I was worried about the same thing...I weigh about 230. I don't push it, I go pretty slow. And yes, I am the fattest person on the Dreadmill, but rather than be bummed about it and self conscious, I'm proud of myself for doing it! My knee started bothering me so I'm taking it easy, but doing some swimming and elliptical until It feels better
    ggoss10: when I first got on a treadmill early this year, I was 264 lbs. Things haven't drastically changed, but I still feel self conscious sometimes when the girls @ the gym throw weird looks at me. Some have made passing comments also. But starting C25K has given me enormous confidence and a 's***w you' attitude. As I see the little tick marks on each day, it motivates me more and more :)

How is your knee now? When I reach 199 lbs, I've promised myself swimming lessons :)
  • archanajoyce
    Options
    Hi.. I'm morbidly obese and didn't even know what C25K meant until a few weeks ago.
    in Jan 2014 I weighed 120 kg... Currently at 94 kg.

I'm only 2 days in. At least I didn't require CPR (very nearly did but miraculously completed the 30 mins). I don't care about people looking at me or saying stuff. Just terrified of Week 2

This forum seems to have people at all fitness levels. Just looking for some reassurance from people who, like me, have tried this program in spite of being morbidly obese.

What were your major challenges?

What were your small victories?

This morning I just finished W6D2 and still can't believe I will dare to run 25 minutes on Wednesday. I need to lose 100lb and I do feel that excess weight every day I run. I started the program on October 10 and repeated several days because I didn't feel ready to move on. You will feel (physically and mentally) when you are ready to move on to the next week. It is more important, especially when carrying so much additional weight, to make sure you don't get injured and the hips and knees are getting the needed time to adjust to it.
    I signed up for my first 5K ever for January 31. I scheduled it so far ahead so that I can improve my speed and keep myself motivated to keep running and lose some of the weight. So far I lost 11lb and keep telling myself that the more weight I lose the easier will be to run.
    I know it is hard but love coming back here to this forum and get motivated and keep going.
    It feels good to know I am not alone and somewhere out there is someone like me who is struggling to keep focused and succeed.

Hi Carmen... wow I'm in awe that you could complete W6. That gives me hope... hope that I don't need a certified first aider with me on the Week 6 run! :) Can't wait to hear how the training is progressing. Please keep me posted. Would love to cheer you on! You got this!
  • archanajoyce
    Options
    PaytraB wrote: »
    You've taken the biggest step by starting. Way to go!

The best words of advice I was given when I started was to take it slow. When you feel like giving up and walking, don't ......just slow down some more. Never worry about your speed.

I was overweight when I started and jiggled everywhere. I could barely do the 30 second run sessions but, by keeping it slow and staying on schedule, I managed it. My small victories were finishing each session successfully. That gave me energy and determination for the next session.

My major challenge was myself. The thought of running 30 minutes was so unbelievable to me that I didn't think I'd ever be able to do it. I had to stop thinking of the end of the program and just think about the session I was running.

Keep at it. Never give up. Keep it slow. You can do this.

The jiggling part... boy do I jiggle! If jiggling were a sport *sigh*!

I love your last line PaytraB, I'm going to write that on a sticky note put it on my desktop so I can see it everyday at work.

• archanajoyce
    Options
    You've taken the biggest step by starting. Way to go!

My major challenge was myself. The thought of running 30 minutes was so unbelievable to me that I didn't think I'd ever be able to do it. I had to stop thinking of the end of the program and just think about the session I was running.

Keep at it. Never give up. Keep it slow. You can do this.

In complete agreement. Running for 30 mins seems so out of reach. Explanation: I'm a person, who at times, want to go from 0 to 60. I like to say I have no patience, but really thru the years I've learned that I have plenty patience. For certain things that is. However, when it comes to seeing results - I don't have much. Or at least like to think I don't have much patience. I can have started the program a couple days ago, and already want to be at the finish line. I get down and hard on myself for not being able to accomplish more. I don't give myself that time for growth and improvment - because I want to be able to achieve what a person should be able to do by the end of the program. So I have had to learn to ease up on myself, take a breather (or two) and just tell myself : "Let it go".

Now, that may seem a little odd at first glance, but it simply means that I need to let go of the image I have of what I should be able to do, or what I want to be able to do right now (vs giving myself time to complete the program and work my way up to that fitness level). I have to let go of the self-criticism and appreciate my efforts and accomplishments for where I am at now. Letting go of all the negative thoughts, and focusing on the task at hand and what my objectifs are: short-term goal, medium and long-term ones. Where am I now? where do I want to be in 1 month? what about 3 months from now? 6 months? 1 year? By setting goals and concentrating on the upcoming one, you experience victories along the way and you strive to improve yourself and keep moving forward.

Just last Friday, I ran for 10 mins without interruption. Certainly I wasn't running very fast, actually it was really a jog, because others would have been able to walk at the pace I was running/jogging. But that sort of comment, I've come to find is detrimental, as it is negative. why get down on myself about running/jogging more slowly than others would have? did I or did I not Jog/run for 10 mins straight without stopping? Yes. Yes I did. and you know what? I'm proud of that. and I will not take anything away from my effort. I know I worked hard to get there, and I should celebrate that victory.

Please do the same. Always keep your chin up, because every victory is worth celebrating.

I wish you all the best in your endeavours and I look forwad to sharing in your journey.

I still have a ways to go before being at my goal weight (much closer to my starting weight than I am of my goal weight) - so if you'd like to motivate and support one another along the way, please feel free to add me as friend and I'll be there, chugging you along as we set goals and reach for the skies.

ShyButSweet: Thank you for writing back. Your thought process seems so like mine. Especially where you say "the image I have of what I should be able to do, or what I want to be able to do right now (vs giving myself time to complete the program and work my way up to that fitness level)" - That is spot on.

Short Term Goal - Close the year leaving the 90's behind (weight wise)
    Medium Term Goal - Complete C25K without dying and Learn how to swim
    Long Term Goal - Reach Target Weight (Ofcourse) and start trying for a baby :)

Looking at it that way, makes it look doable , right? I'm glad there are people half way across the world who can understand and who go through the exact same phases. reading your post gives me strength, it is like looking into the future. You and the others here have done it. You've been in my shoes, and you've broken through the blocks I've imagined are on the way. It has been done... so how can I fail? :)

I'm nearly half way to my goal weight and we could chug along motivating each other. I have no doubt in my mind that we all can do this!
  • archanajoyce
    Options
    LOL! I still run slower than the average runner. I've come to realize that it's just the way things are going to be. BUT I'm running with decent form, I'm injury free and I'm having a good time at it. Best of all, I'M DOING IT!

Keep running and having fun (there's no such thing as "jogging"; it's all "running", regardless of speed. As long as both feet are off the ground at some point in your stride, it's "running"). :smile:
    LOL! I still run slower than the average runner. I've come to realize that it's just the way things are going to be. BUT I'm running with decent form, I'm injury free and I'm having a good time at it. Best of all, I'M DOING IT!

Keep running and having fun (there's no such thing as "jogging"; it's all "running", regardless of speed. As long as both feet are off the ground at some point in your stride, it's "running"). :smile:

You are doing an amazing job, both in running and keeping us gals motivated :smiley:

I'm going to tell myself that the word 'jogging' does not exist!
  • archanajoyce
    Options
    torenees wrote: »
    very inspiring, thank you for sharing. today is wk 2 d2 for me and I'm loving it but have concerns as well. My knee is hurting with every step I take not to mention when I run/ jog. I am starting to wonder what its going to be like to run when the weather gets its coldest. I don't have access to a treadmill. any advice is welcome :\

torenees: I guess Ceci and Paytra have answered that well. I agree with them. Good running shoes are what I would recommend. Also, the knee pain went away when I started taking it slow, stretching properly after runs, good warm up before starting the C25K thing (I walk for 5 mins and then turn on the application) and tried to find a running track at local park. The rubberised track did wonders and the knee pain (I hurt quite a lot and used Volini Gel for the pain), it sort of dulled and now it has pretty much disappeared. However if the pain becomes unbearable even after loosing a few pounds, I would suggest consulting your doctor. But I'm no expert. More power to you :)
  • archanajoyce
    Options
    I am on day 2 today of wk 1. I do have issues with being seen and embarrassed by my weight/size, but as odd as I feel doing this ...I want it real bad. It is not easy for me and I'm sure there are others who feel the same . Not only do I struggle with my personal feelings , I am so bad out of shape. I do feel more energized already and that's a good motivator , reading these boards helps also. When I said I'm so out of shape, what I mean is I've never been in shape . I know I will never have a perfect little body but I would like to feel comfortable in mine and these days I am not. I need to lose 30 lbs and I've always wanted to run. So today I can say In my lifetime I have weighed 8LBS and I have weighed 318LBS with many lbs up and down between the two, but I have never learned to swim, or dance, and I have never been a runner. These are 3 things I have always wanted to do and yesterday was my day 1. Good luck to you and to me, we can do this. I for one am stepping way out of my mental comfort zone , I physically don't want to stay there anymore.
    torenees - I've always wanted to swim (morbid fear of drowning that I want to break), run, dance, scuba dive, sky dive, bungee jump. At 120 kg, I jiggled like a bowl of jelly in the midst of an earthquake. I still jiggle, but the earthquake has eased up :wink:

New clothes that are trendy make me look pregnant. It has been three years into our marriage - people tactlessly ask. People whisper that I'll never have children exacerbated by the fact that I have athma, PCOD and Endometriosis. But coming to these forums made me realise that change is possible and positive change is necessary. It was difficult to get rid of the 'excuse culture' that I had settled into. "I can't seem to find the time, I don't have the right clothes, I don't have the right shoes, people look, people point and laugh, people whisper, it just ain't possible" - That was tough for me

Even in my imagination, I cannot see myself without these tyres and rolls of fat (back and arms and stomach). But these days I feel that change is possible, that I may just be able to do it. Look at you... you did it once - you can do it again! You got this!

There comes a time when we shuffle things around and try to make time and space for our goals. I totally understand how difficult that is. Children, significant other, social/career commitment etc - I'd like to say, through it all - It can be done. We can do this without compromising our lives :) let's get to work!
  • archanajoyce
    Options

I wasn't all that much lighter than you when I started C25K; 190lbs, though I'm quite tall.

I wouldn't put it as challenges but I did find that progress was quite rapid, although my deficit was quite large which became more of an issue for me as I lacked energy.

The main thing is probably to couple your running with some resistance training, to help protect your joints. Bodyweight work should be enough, it worked for me :)

I think the main thing for me was that I fairly quickly stopped worrying about my weight and started focussing on my running performance as a motivator.

Hello MeanderingMammal! I took your suggestion about weight training. Got to read up more about it and probably try to find a routine on the internet. Thank you for the tip about Bodyweight work.. I'll look it up :)
  • archanajoyce
    Options
    SammieDQ37 wrote: »
    Im going to start the c25k in the morning and I am terrified! Last year on November 24th I ran my first 5k without any official training. I haven't run since that day!!! I had the flu on the day of the race and I completed it anyway. I was very sore the next day and could not move. I stayed in bed and on Rx meds for 3 days. All of that being said, I think that I hit a mental Pain block during that time even though the pain was not from running it was from running in the cool weather and rain while having the flu. I just want to run again and this time I am going to actually train for it and take my time to fall in love with the sport. I wish everyone well on the journeys to becoming all that you want to be :wink:
    p.s.... I'm 5'1.5 and I weigh 219.8 lbs. way up from last year but not afraid of the challenge :blush:

That's fantastic! How is the training going? if you could run it once, with proper training I'm sure you could ace it this time as well :) I like your spirit Sammie! More power to you! (*)
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Re: bodyweight training, there's a group here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/166-bodyweight-training

I'm doing Convict Conditioning as per today, but there are other programmes there too that people follow. I've been thinking we should have a thread for all different systems people follow, so maybe I'll start something monthly, goals focussed. Anyway, stop by and chime in if you like.
  • torenees
    torenees Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am on day 2 today of wk 1. I do have issues with being seen and embarrassed by my weight/size, but as odd as I feel doing this ...I want it real bad. It is not easy for me and I'm sure there are others who feel the same . Not only do I struggle with my personal feelings , I am so bad out of shape. I do feel more energized already and that's a good motivator , reading these boards helps also. When I said I'm so out of shape, what I mean is I've never been in shape . I know I will never have a perfect little body but I would like to feel comfortable in mine and these days I am not. I need to lose 30 lbs and I've always wanted to run. So today I can say In my lifetime I have weighed 8LBS and I have weighed 318LBS with many lbs up and down between the two, but I have never learned to swim, or dance, and I have never been a runner. These are 3 things I have always wanted to do and yesterday was my day 1. Good luck to you and to me, we can do this. I for one am stepping way out of my mental comfort zone , I physically don't want to stay there anymore.
    torenees - I've always wanted to swim (morbid fear of drowning that I want to break), run, dance, scuba dive, sky dive, bungee jump. At 120 kg, I jiggled like a bowl of jelly in the midst of an earthquake. I still jiggle, but the earthquake has eased up :wink:

New clothes that are trendy make me look pregnant. It has been three years into our marriage - people tactlessly ask. People whisper that I'll never have children exacerbated by the fact that I have athma, PCOD and Endometriosis. But coming to these forums made me realise that change is possible and positive change is necessary. It was difficult to get rid of the 'excuse culture' that I had settled into. "I can't seem to find the time, I don't have the right clothes, I don't have the right shoes, people look, people point and laugh, people whisper, it just ain't possible" - That was tough for me

Even in my imagination, I cannot see myself without these tyres and rolls of fat (back and arms and stomach). But these days I feel that change is possible, that I may just be able to do it. Look at you... you did it once - you can do it again! You got this!

There comes a time when we shuffle things around and try to make time and space for our goals. I totally understand how difficult that is. Children, significant other, social/career commitment etc - I'd like to say, through it all - It can be done. We can do this without compromising our lives :) let's get to work!

Wow thank you for sharing , Its good to know that others can truly relate to how I feel and to know that they are pushing thru those feelings to help themselves. this truly motivates me . I think half of the fight for me is psychological . I am so stepping outside of my box. your words will stick with me . thank you for sharing and inspiring. we can do this. :) and dance and swim etc . etc
  • silverskies
    silverskies Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi.. I'm morbidly obese and didn't even know what C25K meant until a few weeks ago.

I'm only 2 days in. At least I didn't require CPR (very nearly did but miraculously completed the 30 mins). I don't care about people looking at me or saying stuff. Just terrified of Week 2

This forum seems to have people at all fitness levels. Just looking for some reassurance from people who, like me, have tried this program in spite of being morbidly obese.

Hello Joyce!

Our stories sound really similar! I started C25K at around 230lbs, I think that's something like 105kg, and while it has been tough, it has been rewarding.

I think the biggest challenge is mostly in my head. When I look at the next day and see that I have to run for 5 straight minutes, I think surely this isn't possible. There is no way I can do it.

But I always do. I think once you get going and focus less on your burning legs and lungs and more on the music it gets easier. And you always feel so accomplished after you finish a run you didn't think you were able to.

I've been slacking since its been getting dark out and closer to winter, and have been stuck on week 6 day 2 for a while, but even if I can't get passed it I think well hey, I ran as hard as I could, and thats gotta be something. ;)
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    I've been slacking since its been getting dark out and closer to winter, and have been stuck on week 6 day 2 for a while, but even if I can't get passed it I think well hey, I ran as hard as I could, and thats gotta be something. ;)

Hi, do you think it would help to run slower than "as fast as you could"? It is generally advised to run at a speed at which you can keep a conversation going, so possibly much slower than your fast speed as of now.
  • silverskies
    silverskies Posts: 9 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »

Hi, do you think it would help to run slower than "as fast as you could"? It is generally advised to run at a speed at which you can keep a conversation going, so possibly much slower than your fast speed as of now.

I don't run as fast as I can, I go at a pretty steady pace, but when I say I run as hard as I can I guess I mean that I push myself as hard as I can to keep going lol
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »

I don't run as fast as I can, I go at a pretty steady pace, but when I say I run as hard as I can I guess I mean that I push myself as hard as I can to keep going lol

Ah I see :smiley: Well keep pushing then, you're doing a great job!
  • ggoss10
    ggoss10 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    ggoss10 wrote: »
    I was worried about the same thing...I weigh about 230. I don't push it, I go pretty slow. And yes, I am the fattest person on the Dreadmill, but rather than be bummed about it and self conscious, I'm proud of myself for doing it! My knee started bothering me so I'm taking it easy, but doing some swimming and elliptical until It feels better
    ggoss10: when I first got on a treadmill early this year, I was 264 lbs. Things haven't drastically changed, but I still feel self conscious sometimes when the girls @ the gym throw weird looks at me. Some have made passing comments also. But starting C25K has given me enormous confidence and a 's***w you' attitude. As I see the little tick marks on each day, it motivates me more and more :)

How is your knee now? When I reach 199 lbs, I've promised myself swimming lessons :)

My knee is still bothering me. Ive been icing and taking it easy, but will be starting physical therapy tomorrow - hoping they can give me some exercised to do to help strengthen my hip muscles. (which can cause knee problems). So we shall see! I've been depressed because of my injury, but am going to do some more swimming tomorrow.
  • LazyButHealthy
    LazyButHealthy Posts: 257 Member
    Options

I started at around where you are now.

Just focus on the next run, not the end of the programme as you, like me, will be gripped by 'how on earth will I be able to do THAT?'
    I'm now on W5D2 and loving it.

I hadn't run in 15 years, and have been overweight or obese all my life.

So there! Anyone can do it!
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    Running is the perfect mindfulness practice, I should add. Just be in the moment and don't worry about what will come up after the next bend of the road or such, and don't think of how much is still left of the training but rather what you have already achieved.

If you are about to run out on mental juice in the tank, focus on the next tree or lamp post or whatever landmark is down the road at convenient distance. Move yourself to that point and pick the next landmark.

And remind yourself of how many minutes you've already been moving, how many days you have stuck with C25K, keep adding to the number. We often think of it the other way round which isn't helpful at all in this context.

Find your mental weak points and work on not giving your mind the chance to throw in the towel. My first ten to fifteen minutes always require great effort whilst the body is still getting used to the running mode. It dislikes it and creates resistance, but once I get into the rhythm, it can be quite peaceful. I never was athletic and never thought I could run.