Daily check-in: December why you started!

Options

Replies

• ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    krokador wrote: »

It's also easier to add the contraction with dumbbells because you're not restricted to the bar path and doing them with a knee on the bench helps take the lower back out of the equation. It's pretty normal to feel them differently. They won't work quite the same muscles, but if you like them better I don't see too much of an issue subbing dumbbells in instead or the bar, on a regular basis or from time to time :)

Thanks--think I am going to go with dumbbells for a while to work upper back more!
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I lifted Friday afternoon and didn't have a chance to post until now.

Workout B
    Squats 95 lbs 5x5. This was a repeat weight and it felt a little better so I will try 100 next time.
    OHP 50 lbs 1x5, 55 lbs 4x5. I started with 50 and then thought I would at least try 55. It felt good, so I finished up the last 4 sets at 55 lbs.
    Deadlift 115 lbs 1x5. Getting pretty heavy now. I might just jump 5 lbs next time.

I was scheduled to lift again this morning but we got home late from Indianapolis where I watched my COLTS win the division again :smiley: so I decided to sleep in and move my lifting schedule to Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday this week.
  • SkepticalOwl
    SkepticalOwl Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Mixed it up a bit today because of a change in schedule.

Squat: 3x8@95
    BP: 3x10@65
    Rows: 3x10@55

Bus drivers: 2x10@10
    Walking lunges with DB hammer curls: 2x10@12.5
    Tricep extension (cable) 3x10@3.5 plates

Also ran 6.1 miles.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Managed to go before work but it was just after noon so the gym was really busy. I could have gone early but since working till midnight right now, the sleep was too good to make myself get up. Still managed okay and started week 5 of SL. Yay!

Bench Press - 2x5 & 1x4 @ 80, failed and couldn't get it up the last one so had to rack on the lower spot and get out from under it. 2x5 @ 75
    Dumbbell Bench - 3x8 @ 20 but think I can do heavier ones next time
    Squat - 5x5 @ 105, slight rushed and heavy so stayed the same weight this time
    Row - 3x5 @ 85 then 2x8 with 25 dumbbells, still struggling with these

The squat I hurried in warm up cause people were wanting to use it. Me and a guy approached it at the same time and he was nice enough to let me use it first. I have to lower things when I use the cage cause I'm shorter than many and he was at least a foot taller than me so just waited instead of asking to work in during. Was nice of him to let me use it first.

I did rows in the deadlift spot at first but 85 was probably a little too heavy. So, I tried doing dumbbell variety since I can't quite feel it in the back the way people mention. It was okay but still not one I care for overall. I like deadlifts, bench and squats the most, out of this.

Now to get ready for work as I was lucky enough to get the first 4 midnight shifts as our store is open till midnight for 10 days leading up to Christmas.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    Squat 115 again 5x6. Going to try 120 next time. I start to get nervous around this weight. Like butterflies. Gotta conquer these squats mentally too.

OHP 50 7,7,5,5,6 started out strong then fatigued. Will try 55 next time I think.

Deadlift 165 1x5 plus a double overhand plus a mixed grip in the opposite way I usually go. Hard but fun. I love deads.

I'm trying the add reps before volume method and I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand it does help show that I can lift the weight for real before adding more but on the other hand, it beats me up mentally. I feel like I'm taking forever and I start dreading having to do even more reps of a challenging weight. I start struggling with the volume of reps rather than the actual weight I'm lifting. Does anyone else ever feel this way?
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Squats: 5@55,65,80,95,105
    Bench: 5@45,50,55,60,70
    Row: 5@45,50,55,65,75
    RDL: 3x10@70
    Dumbell bicep curls: 4x15@8
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    My weekend was a little crazy. Friday night I had my hubby's company christmas party and I got absolutely shitfaced. Won't be doing that again for another 3 years or so lol.
    Saturday I had hangover food (eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes etc.). Then did workout A.

Squat 155lbs 5x5
    Bench 75lbs 5x5
    Row 65 5/5/5/5/4 (I hate rows so much they are by far my weakest lift)

Then off to my company's Christmas party (they had a candy buffet as a party favor and it was awesome)

Sunday was spent at my moms (lots of noms).

Today was a team Christmas lunch at the Keg. Very awesome, had dessert and enjoyed it. Then cookies at the book club this evening.

Workout B was tonight

Squat 160lbs 5/5/5/5/4 the volume just kills me. I might have been able to get the last one but I didn't want to risk bailing and having the noise wake the baby.
    OHP 60 lbs 5x5
    DL 175lbs 1x5

I had my weekend and a bit of celebrations so now I am going to buckle down on my deficit from now until Christmas and enjoy Christmas day guilt free.

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    bleh, today pretty much sucked. my neck might be healing, and some of my most locked-tight muscles might be relaxing a bit. but i swear getting my spine adjusted has thrown all the soft tissue involved in those joints for a serious loop. none of it knows what it's supposed to do anymore, and it's all running around going 'ow! ow! wait, what?' and doing stuff wrong. i went into the gym and tried again with the 'half sets, half weight, half reps' thing he told me to do, but my form's a disaster on everything. and somehow it's gotten into even the stuff that he didn't go near, like my legs. i didn't have the mojo for 5 sets of squats holding only the bar. partly because mobility/tenderness is so bad in my left shoulder, i think.

i have been working like a mofo on my entire left trap/levator/pec/deltoid complex where there is a knot the size of a hazelnut that i can FEEL . . . and all of those muscles hate me as well. so think i maybe need to just not do anything until we're back to where nothing's inflamed. even if that means just waiting until everything's locked up like fort knox again, i don't care. i don't think this approach i'm taking now is getting it right.

and tomorrow i'm going to the grocery store, but i'll skip gummi bears and spend the whole day eating crystallized ginger instead.
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Back at it today after taking 4 days off....
    Workout A
    Squats 95 lbs 5x5. Yes, this was another repeat but I am definitely trying 100 lbs next time.
    Bench 60 lbs 5x5. Also a repeat, felt pretty good until the 25th rep, that one was hard to get up. I was also playing around with my grip width and I think I found the best spot for my hands, so that was a win. I think I'll try 65 next time.
    Rows 60 lbs 5x5. These felt pretty good and I think I'll try 65 next time.
    I also did RDL 60 lbs, 3x10. I still prefer good mornings, but these worked out well because the bar was already set up after rows.
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Got into the gym before work this morning, was able to get the Smith Machine as well, i feel a lot more confident doing my lifts on the Smith machine so i can focus on form and now worry about dropping the bar:

Squats: 2x5 @ 45 warmups then 5x5 @ 100, my knee was DESTROYED from Spin last night (the instructor had the resistanace jacked up between 10-22 almost the entire class) felt ok at 100, going for 105 next time, hopefully my knee cooperates

OHP: 2x5 @45 warmups then 5x5 @65, these felt a lot better, i feel like im actually getting stronger using the Smith Machine, instead of dropping the bar on my face :/ i'm also not arching my back as much :smile:

right in the middle of these, there was a guy who had been on the leg press loaded up with 45s, i was kinda impressed minus the fact that he kept locking his knees out, then he decided to do leg presses on the smith machine next to mine, and at one point he had the smith machine loaded up with 45s, and he lets out this half grunt half yell, it was to the point that half the gym stopped and looked at him, then he loaded more 45s on and then could barely move the bar so he started deloading, i was really trying not to give him the REALLY DUDE?!?! look but it was incredibly hard :/

Deadlift: 1x5 @ 85, was going to do these in the deadlift spot, but i got lazy and just stuck with the Smith Machine

I have my personal training appt tomorrow night so probably wont lift again until friday, hopefully my knee is better by then :smile:
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I have been working out, but SOOOO busy at work and I haven't been posting here.

Completed workout B today

Squats - 5x5 @ 100lbs - Whoop Whoop! This was my goal for the end of November but due to sickness and work schedule it didn't happen. I am also happy to report I no longer warm up with the bar. Today I loaded it with 75lbs to warm up!

OHP - 5x5 @ 50lbs

DL - 1x5 @ 95lbs, 1x3 @ 115lbs, 1x3 @ 130lbs!
    I know I "failed" by not completing 5 reps, but for me this is a total win!

Hoping I can keep up this momentum!
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Some great lifting going on in here!

Lifted last night

Squat 5x5 @ 145lbs
    Bench 5x5 @ 85lbs
    Row 5x5 @ 85lbs

Slept like a log last night so must have needed it. Have had a bit of a severe deficit lately so I'm surprised that my lifts have been progressing ok. Going through some stuff and haven't felt like eating at all, thus the massive deficit. Le sigh
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Nicely done everyone.

Since I'm changing my lift schedule a bit this week to go on my one day off with my coworker, I decided to try and make a class at the gym. I want to catch a zumba class some day but 9 am when I'm working till after midnight does not go well. I barely functioned enough for the 10 am class I went to today. Ended up trying Les Mills Grit Strength, so more squats.

It was an interesting class and I like it except the push ups cause those suck. I'll even take the lunges over those any day cause I just am not capable yet. Part of the issues is I have short arms and a big stomach, so even trying to modify on knees doesn't work cause I don't have much of a range of motion before parts of me are on the floor. Found out later that wall push ups would have been okay so I'll try those next time. My rhythm was off a little during the one hand cleans cause I wanted to straighten up and go into the press instead of clean then straighten up from the squat. But I can probably do heavier weight for it next time too cause I just went light since I lifted yesterday and worked 8 hours.

Don't think many of the few that were there today knew what class they were going to because some seemed confused. There was one guy, older gentlemen, and he certainly didn't know he'd be squatting and such, but he did the best he could. At the end, the instructor was really chatting up the weight versus cardio, trying to convince people to swap an hour of cardio for the class. Seems nice and energetic, as the class leaders tend to do.

Tomorrow, I shall rest... maybe.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    symba1130 wrote: »
    Squats - 5x5 @ 100lbs - Whoop Whoop!

yay!!! this is terrific . . . go you.

i'm not sure if i will make it this month. but it's like a relay race, so long as someone else gets there it's still a party to me. congratulations . . . and 75lb warmup. how badass is that :p

• ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    Such great lifts everyone!!

I add bicep curls in this morning. Need to get some new plates so I don't have to keep moving them off and on.

Squats: 5 x 8 @50
    Press: 5 x 5 @50 (yay, made it through!)
    DL: 1 x 5 @90
    Curls: 5 x 5 @16

I'm going to try going up on squats next time. DLs are progressing nicely.
    I think lifting is mental as well as physical. You've got to bring your A game every time to make the most of it. One month in and this 50 yow is feeling great ;)
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    symba1130 wrote: »
    Squats - 5x5 @ 100lbs - Whoop Whoop!

yay!!! this is terrific . . . go you.

i'm not sure if i will make it this month. but it's like a relay race, so long as someone else gets there it's still a party to me. congratulations . . . and 75lb warmup. how badass is that :p

Thank You @ Canadianlbs. :-)

• Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Hello! I've been reading through your thread and am so impressed! You ladies rock!!

I'm starting SL today! I just wrapped up NROLFW and am hooked on weight training now! I'm hoping to keep building strength. I've read up, and loaded my app. I'm off to the gym! Just checking in and really inspired by you guys! :)
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I'm trying the add reps before volume method and I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand it does help show that I can lift the weight for real before adding more but on the other hand, it beats me up mentally. I feel like I'm taking forever and I start dreading having to do even more reps of a challenging weight. I start struggling with the volume of reps rather than the actual weight I'm lifting. Does anyone else ever feel this way?

We're straying a good bit from SL at this point, but if you have access to a timer of sorts there's another method which you could try that might work better for you. I do it all the time and I actually love it because, while it's still challenging, it's a different kind of challenge, and goes by REAL fast.

Every Minute on the Minute (EMOTM work). The way this works is, you're actually going to be doing smaller sets, but reducing the rest. The point is to be as explosive as possible, so if you're using your 5x5 weight, you might even start out with just singles or doubles. When the minute hits, you do your prescribed reps, then you rest until the next minute for however many sets you're going for that day. It'll obviously start kind of easy, but as you get closer to the end it'll get harder and hopefully the last 2-3 sets are challenging. But since you're doing lower reps, your body is able to contract the muscles better and you're getting cleaner reps in because you're not working to the point of grinding.

It'll take a little guess work as to how much weight, sets and reps you should use, but it might very well get you through a plateau to switch it up this way, There are many ways this could be programmed, but I'll give a few examples here with what I'd go for with your OHP @ 50:

Option A) Go up in weight to get used to a heavier load
    3 reps @ 55 EMOTM x 8 (24 total reps)
    1 or 2 reps @ 60 EMOTM x 10 (You can start with 2 and as you fatigue and form breaks down, settle with 1. It'll give you anywhere between 10-20 reps. Shoot for quality, not quantity)

Option B) Down in weight, more reps, actually shorter work time
    6 reps @ 40 EMOTM x 6 (while that is less weight than what you're used to, the shorter rest periods might just be what the doctor ordered!)
    4-5 reps @ 45 EMOTM x 6 (bit more explosive here, you want to make sure everything is crisp for the entire duration.)
    2-3 reps @ 50 EMOTM x 8 (you're working close enough here that you might need to drop the reps towards the end)

There are also multiple ways you can progress this: add a minute or 2 (I wouldn't go anywhere above 12 minutes though) add 2.5-5lbs, add a rep every minute...

I'm more of a heavier weight, lesser reps, more sets type of gal, but the endurance build up can also be very beneficial. If you ever want to switch it up, this might end up being more fun for you than 5x6, 7x7 or whatever. As I said, it might take some experimentation to find exactly what works best for you, but you might very well get some gainz even from doing lighter work than you need to be just because of the time constraint and the fact most reps will be "fresher".

I know it's one of my favorite type of work sets when I do my strength and power work.
    If you wanna read up a little more on it from an actual strength coach: http://www.travisstoetzel.com/e-m-o-t-m-for-more-strength-power-and-endurance/

Hopefully that can help some of you perhaps plateaued and bored ladies out a little :) We all know that OHP is a b****

• katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Between vacation and getting a nasty cold, I've basically taken 2 weeks off from lifting. I'm still a little sick, but I didn't take any cold medicine today (only slightly congested still, but I CAN breathe through my nose and I can smell and taste some things now) so I figured I'd try and lift since I took today off of work.

Warm up reps plus:
    Paused Bench - 3x10 @‌ 70
    OHP - 3x10 @ 55
    Paused Squats - 3x10 @‌ 120

I went easy on myself, but I made it 50 minutes so I'm happy with that. I suppose I could have done more, but I started to get a little dizzy after squats and my throat/lungs feel as dry as the Sahara so I made an executive decision and stopped. Hopefully by Friday or Saturday I'll feel even better and can go full steam!
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    @krokador Thank you so much for taking the time to explain a different method with what seems like a lot of flexibility. I will research EMOTM more and play around with it on Friday's workout. I have a timer on my phone so it's doable.

As I alluded to before, I'm nearing the point where I start to stall and fail on almost all my lifts and the though of doing 5 sets of 5, let alone 5 sets of 6, 7, or 8 starts to make me dread working out. I prefer strength gains to endurance gains, as well, even though I recognize both are important. After the holidays, I was thinking of looking into a new program like 5/3/1 or 3x5 but I might like your suggestion, too.

Will let you know how it goes soon!