Paleo Reset, January 1st

Options

Replies

• Quinnstinct
    Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm in 100%, already planning on sticking to Whole 30 as best as possible until a wine weekend event the 22nd. Then the plan is to get back on track. I've never been Whole 30 strict but I need it and know how good it will be. Glad to have a good group and support!
  • ksellen1
    ksellen1 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm starting my Whole30 today!
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Holla Clutch! I'm in.
    Because cheese and I must break up for the sake of humanity..lol.

Nice, and referencing me in the same sentence as cheese is awesome and of course humanity must be saved.

So we are coming closer to the start line, just to reiterate; we all trip and fall so there will be no judgments to anyone who trips. That said, tripping is no reason to drop out of the race, so please do not be too hard on yourselves either.

I will do a once a week check in, but that is no reason everyone has to, but feel free to reach out and ask questions or for help. I have been friends with about half of the people signed up in here for some time and they are all solid people willing to lend advice when needed. I am a primal eater more so than Paleo, but I am all Paleo on this excursion and know both sides of this fairly well.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I will be checking in weekly or more to keep myself accountable!
  • 100andOnward
    100andOnward Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I was going to do a Whole30 anyway (my 5th over 3 or so years), and it'll probably help to have some community to do it.
  • ksellen1
    ksellen1 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Clutch - are you starting up a group for this or is everything going to happen on this thread?
  • msnucerity
    msnucerity Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Because I need a routine, people to keep me accountable and I live to talk food, I created an open group http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/101266-paleo-reset-january-1st-2015

(sorry if I doubled up and a group was already created!)
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Holla Clutch! I'm in.
    Because cheese and I must break up for the sake of humanity..lol.

Nice, and referencing me in the same sentence as cheese is awesome and of course humanity must be saved.

Hey I do what I can...lol :)
  • LolaGoad
    LolaGoad Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am new to this way of eating, but would sure like to give it a try!!!
  • SteamClutch
    edited December 2014
    Options
    ksellen1 wrote: »
    Clutch - are you starting up a group for this or is everything going to happen on this thread?

Whatever works best, I have no issues with someone firing one up, keep things in a sidebar if that works. I am going to join up to msnucerity's we can move things there if everyone is okay with that.

• knittingbandmom
    knittingbandmom Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join you. Hmmm. I just wrote an entire post, hit preview and it vanished. Wonder where it went? Anyway, I'm new to this group and joined because I saw this thread. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's last September and immediately dropped the gluten and drive through. I've done really well but I have to confess I sort of replaced my old breads and crackers with sugary foods and sweets. I'd like to break that immediately after New Years and then tackle Diet Coke and, (with a heavy sigh) dairy.
  • eahouston
    eahouston Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting a group, msnucerity! I really don't like what MFP has done with the community section over the last several months, and I find groups much harder to navigate. It'll be nice having a dedicated group where it's easier to follow what's new and all that.
  • moniquedeanne
    moniquedeanne Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Count me in! The week before Christmas I was 111 days into eating 90% Paleo. I was losing weight like crazy and just feeling great. I took just 1 week off of the diet and Crossfit for the holiday and by day 6 I felt like crap! Of course, I wasn't just not eating Paleo I eating a lot of holiday goodies and some pizza and candy, and some etc.

I'm currently Day 2 into eating Paleo again, but I am going to celebrate with a little champagne tonight.

Happy New Year's everyone :)
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year to you all.

Yes and you can count me in as well. Slowly but surely, I have been getting the last bits of wheat out of my diet. You know the type of thing, the occasional biscuit with my cup of tea or some Italian bread when I go out. It all has to go.

Christmas day, I basically ate whatever food I fancied and I have regretted it ever since but the good thing is that it made me realise that my body does not tolerate wheat and I have to go grain free.

Good luck to us all in whatever you choose to do. I have bought Pete Evans's "Family Food" cookbook to inspire me with some new recipes and that is my gift to me for the new year :)
  • lew0017
    lew0017 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I will be starting tomorrow, doing some prep today, making bone broth, lard and some coconut butter, I am fortunate as I work at a health food store that sells organic groceries and I am in a farm co-op. I will get my meat order Friday. So good luck everyone! I ordered a couple cookbooks through Amazon, looking forward to trying new recipes. My biggest problem will be lunch, as we do not use microwaves at my work, so reheating is a problem. I have a thermos for some things, and there is a crock pot at work, I will have to get creative. But we do have a organic smoothie and food bar, so I can always do that, but I would rather bring my own food.

One other thing, I am actually stressing about snacking at night, (that is really my BIG problem, and the sugar cravings after a meal). I feel like I'm giving up an addiction, actually sugar is an addiction. This will be the area where I struggle the most.
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    @lew0017, I was going to make bone broth too. Will need to call for some bones? Is there certain bones that are best to ask for?
    Our ONE and ONLY grocery store does not carry much for organic. The butter I bought (I'm not sure is even organic) was 5.80 something for a pound. My husband about had the big one!!! Will NEED to find something I KNOW is organic & cost LESS!!
    I too believe sugar is an addiction & I am definitely addicted. I ate sugar free applesauce after my vegetable omelet this morning cuz I was cravy sugar! It did the job!
    In a post up above GrokRockStar suggested L-glutamine for sugar cravings. I was once told to use chromium too. Since you work in a health food store could you give us some info on this. How much to take & the cost?
    Thank you in advance and I wish you a healthy 2015!!
  • lew0017
    Options
    vhuber, the best prices for supplements online is swansons vitamins or amazon. L-glutamine and inositol (which is a B vitamin) both help for sugar cravings. I am going to try the inositol. I will check on dosages when I get to work tomorrow.

I am making chicken broth today, and I use boney parts of chicken like the back and necks and scraps from deboned chicken pieces and a couple chicken feet, you can also use the carcass from a baked chicken as well. I add carrots, onion, celery S&P and bay leaves.

When I make beef, I use knuckle bones, meaty soup bones and marrow bones. Those are the ones I can get. I would use a pig foot if I could get one, they make the gel in the broth that's so good for your joints. LOL

You can get a product called Great Lakes gelatin and add to broths if you can't make broth from scratch, I use this product in my soups to add collagen.

• LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    SteamClutch, just to clarify for everyone. I am using the link from Msnucerity to get to the
    Paleo Reset. Is there a better way to get there?
    msnucerity wrote: »
    Because I need a routine, people to keep me accountable and I live to talk food, I created an open group http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/101266-paleo-reset-january-1st-2015

(sorry if I doubled up and a group was already created!)

• SteamClutch
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Leena, That is the direct path or you can go to community then groups and if you joined it should show up in the groups.

I made bone broth yesterday as well, 24 hours in the crock pot, all the same veggies listed above and added Rosemary to mine, beef, pork and lamb bones all in mine and I will make another batch tomorrow. I pulled off the fat because it (to me) is disgusting tasting, I used my wife fat separator for making gravy and it worked wonderfully. As stated before I am working on gut health this time around.
  • lew0017
    Options
    I skim my fat too!