SMART CARBERS (Smart Carbohydrates) and Calorie Counting/LCHF

Options
Christine_1085
Christine_1085 Posts: 310 Member
edited January 2015 in Social Groups
Welcome to our team - my name is Christine from Metro Washington DC (Northern VA). I am a wife, a mother of 3 and a grandmother. My goal this year it to reach my healthy BMI of 24.9 or 140 lbs, I have 14.5 lbs to go. After my Thanksgiving cruise, I have been slacking but I promised myself that 2015 will be my year. Sounds like a familiar phrase we say every January. Having a goal is important and making the goal is a lifetime process.

~ ~ ~ * * * * ~ ~ ~ * * * * ~ ~ ~ * * * * ~ ~ ~ * * * *
What Are Smart Carbohydrates?
By Robert Phillips

If you're confused about carbohydrates, you're likely not alone. The low-carbohydrate diet trend of the 1990s and early 2000s may have left you thinking that any carbohydrate is a bad carbohydrate. In reality, certain carbohydrates, sometimes referred to as "smart carbohydrates," actually support health, keep energy levels high and help in maintaining weight, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Learn how to identify them and improve the quality of your diet.

What Are Smart Carbohydrates?

The hallmark of healthy, smart carbohydrates is their vital nutrients and fiber content, which slows digestion and absorption, keeping blood glucose levels more stable. This is important for weight maintenance and diabetes prevention, according to the Harvard School of Public Health. Healthy, smart carbohydrates are found in whole, plant-based foods like fruits and vegetables, minimally processed whole-grain products like oatmeal, brown rice, quinoa and whole-wheat bread as well as beans, lentils, nuts and seeds. White potatoes are one vegetable exception because their rich starch content can cause spikes in blood sugar despite their fiber content; sweet potatoes and beans are better options.

Replies

• carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I am helping Christine with this group and super excited to get going! My goal is to get down to 150 lbs for my 50th birthday in 2015. I won't make my weight goal by my birthday since it's in early February but I will before summer starts! So let's see...you can call me Carl for short, I work full time and have grown kids and one grandson.

Can't wait for this group to start!!
  • Christine_1085
    Options
    Hello Ladies, I promise to be back after the Holidays my plan is as follows:

Jan 2 to 4 - detox from sugar, caffeine (except 1 cup of coffee a day) and carbs
    Jan 5 to 9 - church fasting week (I have to decide on what I want to focus on), I will start eliminating carbs during this 5 days.

My ultimate goal is to do something very similar to Ideal Protein or Low Carbs Moderate Fat diet.

So please join us to make the first few days of the year (Jan 2 to Feb 28) successful to jump start our progress.
  • phoebelayla
    phoebelayla Posts: 1,182 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I had a pretty successful year eating low carb/smart carb this past year. I was derailed by a running injury... but found that if I ate well things could get back on track. Slacked off over the holidays here, but have been planning the whole time to come back strong for the new year.... and I will do just that!

I need to eliminate simple sugars for the first week and really get a reset!

Looking forward to a great team challenge!

Amy
  • Christine_1085
    Options
    Welcome to the group. Jan 2 to 4 I will detox from all sugar, all carbs and limit my coffee to once a day. Jan 5 to 9 is my Bootcamp very strick week all protein week - soup, shake and pudding only. Jan 10 is the start of my protein, vegetable and fruit in take. We can all do this.
  • sexykima
    sexykima Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Kima and I am 48, from Corrales, New Mexico.

My goal is to do the Whole 30 with a yoga/Body Pump regime to help me lose weight, balance my moods and stabilize my hormones. My long term goal is to lose 40 pounds (10 pounds this month), but mostly I am doing this for my overall wellbeing. I want to feel healthy, energized and happy :) and intend to transition to a Paleo lifestyle afterwards.

I notice that when I eat dairy I feel phlegmy and bloated (TMI?) and when I eat wheat and sugar I feel anxious, overwhelmed and depressed. Yuck! This is the third time I'm doing the Whole 30 and let me tell you, each time I did it in the past I felt so amazing!!! It truly was transformational! I want to feel like that all of the time!!!
  • phoebelayla
    Options
    I love this time of year...all the media and discussions are about being fit and healthy. Let's do this!

I am going to try to go dairy free as much as possible as well- seems to help clear my skin. :smile:
  • 150ish
    150ish Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Liz, I am from British Columbia, Canada.
    I am 44, married with a 10 year old boy and 11 year old girl and work full time.
    My goal is to cut all carbs but fruit, veggies, oatmeal and potatoes.
    The occasional beverage on the weekends is part of my plan.
    Get to the gym every other day, even if only for 30min, no excuses!
    I did this in November for 3 weeks and I felt great. Then December came along... :o
  • phoebelayla
    Options
    It feels good to be done with that holiday eating. How is everyone doing??
  • Christine_1085
    Options
    Yes I am ready and just started my program today. I am on detox today and tomorrow. Thanks we can do this
  • sexykima
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm doing great with the low carb diet and logging my calories, but I need to motivate and get to the gym to work out!!!
  • phoebelayla
    Options
    Two days of no sugar! Woohoo! Going for a whole week.

Hey Kima, tell us your workout plan and then you can report back later in the day when you do it (if you want).
  • sexykima
    Options
    Thanks phoebelayla! OK, Here is my plan: I'm going take the dog out for a long hike today, tomorrow Body Pump and Monday yoga! Yay!
  • phoebelayla
    Options
    sexykima wrote: »
    Thanks phoebelayla! OK, Here is my plan: I'm going take the dog out for a long hike today, tomorrow Body Pump and Monday yoga! Yay!

Sounds great!
  • Naughty_ZOOT
    Naughty_ZOOT Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am having no issues continuing my eating plan from last year. I have to start planning meals more in advance to ensure I get my veggies and some fruit in every day to the desired levels. Also am striving to get my exercise done early in the day or it just doesn't seem to happen.
  • Christine_1085
    Options
    SMART CARBERS
    What brings you to the group?
    Eating plan?
    Are you doing Low carbs or low glycemic carbs?
    What is your nutrition approach?
  • phoebelayla
    Options
    I always do better when I have accountability to eat well and track, others to learn from, and teammates to help motivate!

Eating plan?
    Low carb high protein, vegetarian. As I mentioned elsewhere in this challenge, most vegetarian protein has some (or a lot) of carbs. Protein shakes and seitan, and of course eggs, are low. Always trying to find good options.

Low carb.... but now that you mention it, I do pick low glycemic carbs - oats, low glycemic veggies, beans, tofu. I need to come up with a plan for adding in some more low glycemic carbs once I am at goal weight. Working to get past an all or none way of thinking.

-Eat as clean as I can.
    -3 meals and 2 snacks per day (sometimes more snacks when I have more calories to "spend"
    -Allow some room for fun!
  • Naughty_ZOOT
    Naughty_ZOOT Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I want to share this journey with friends who can help me when I am in need and vice versa. I am always open to learning new things and believe everyone has a lot of wisdom to share whether they think so or not.

Eating plan?
    I mostly am eating LCHF but I am currently experimenting with increasing my veggie carbs and adding a bit of fruit back to see what my diabetic body can tolerate sans medications. I would ultimately like to consume mostly veggies, lean proteins and stick with coconut oil, olive oil and grass fed butter for additional fats primarily. Moderate protein, moderate fat and gobs of veggies are my main goal.

Low carbs. I don't believe in the validity of some low glycemic foods after seeing what they can do to my blood glucose. Low glycemic does not always equate to low impact in terms of glucose or insulin response for me.

I eat to my glucose meter meaning if it spikes me, it goes for good. 2 strikes and it is out. I do not want to return to medications and the slow downward diabetic spiral. I want to preserve my body and brain health to be fit and active into my old age.
    100% grain free, not just gluten free.
    100% pasture raised local beef, bison, pork, lamb, etc...
    100% wild caught seafood from US waters (not from the Atlantic or China)
    100% organic home grown veggies and fruits produced by us or local farmers
    I actively experiment with low carb, grain free, diabetic friendly recipes and develop my own.
    I do not consume most dairy (only grass fed butter and occasional real cheese, heavy cream, or cream cheese). Milk based products like yogurt, cottage cheese, kefir, etc...spike my glucose levels.
  • carlsoda
    Options
    Hi!

I need to eliminate simple sugars for the first week and really get a reset!

Amy

I'm starting today...eliminating simple sugars! They are a killer for my waist line and need to get back on track!! :)
  • carlsoda
    Options
    sexykima wrote: »
    Hi my name is Kima and I am 48, from Corrales, New Mexico.

My goal is to do the Whole 30 with a yoga/Body Pump regime to help me lose weight, balance my moods and stabilize my hormones. My long term goal is to lose 40 pounds (10 pounds this month), but mostly I am doing this for my overall wellbeing. I want to feel healthy, energized and happy :) and intend to transition to a Paleo lifestyle afterwards.

I notice that when I eat dairy I feel phlegmy and bloated (TMI?) and when I eat wheat and sugar I feel anxious, overwhelmed and depressed. Yuck! This is the third time I'm doing the Whole 30 and let me tell you, each time I did it in the past I felt so amazing!!! It truly was transformational! I want to feel like that all of the time!!!

Sounds like you have a good plan! I think it would be interesting to try to eliminate certain food groups to see if they have any negative effect on me. I have a lot of sinus issues and I've read that it's related to too much sugar intake. That's my first challenge..reducing sugar!

• carlsoda
    Options
    150ish wrote: »
    Hi my name is Liz, I am from British Columbia, Canada.
    I am 44, married with a 10 year old boy and 11 year old girl and work full time.
    My goal is to cut all carbs but fruit, veggies, oatmeal and potatoes.
    The occasional beverage on the weekends is part of my plan.
    Get to the gym every other day, even if only for 30min, no excuses!
    I did this in November for 3 weeks and I felt great. Then December came along... :o

Sounds like a great plan Liz!!! And you have the added benefit of knowing it has worked in the past!!