Options
2»

Replies

• NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    yturie47 wrote: »
    mariluny wrote: »
    I just made this yesterday and it's for sure a new quick meal to make at home.

tortellini and spinach soup (2 big portions)

1 carrot
    1 celery
    1 small onion
    1 clove of garlic
    6 cups of chicken broth
    2 cups of cheese tortellini
    2-4 cups of fresh baby spinach

Dice all the vegetables and mince the garlic. make it sweat in a bit pot with a tsp of olive oil for about 3-4minutes. Add the broth and let simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the veggies are soft.
    Add the tortellini to the soup base and let cook as per package instructions. Once cooked, add the spinach, mix and serve immediately.

I really like soup during the fall. Such a comforting meal yet forgiving in calorie and eating 2 bowls is usually not an issue! Anyone else have good recipe to share?

This sounds like a version of one I make a lot ... but I also like to add some diced tomatoes to it. And I have used mini cheese ravioli when tortellini was not in the freezer, and also have used chopped romaine lettuce instead of baby spinach. They all work for me.
  • jerseygene
    jerseygene Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Its a winter warmer My version of mulligatawny soup.

put in to a large saucepan

plenty of Mix veg with sweet corn add a chopped leek (Or you can prepare your own veg if got the time)

put in brown rice and small pasta small amounts for this recipe 2 egg cups full of rice and 2 of pasta

1 tsp of paprika

1 tsp of ground black pepper

1 1/2 tsp of curry powder

1 clove of garlic if you want optional

salt to taste

chicken stock cube or veg cube for vegetarian's

1 1/2 tsp plan white flour

Add water and bring to the boil then reduce the heat to a simmer
    with the lid off. Simmer for at leas 25 min or until the rice is dun add more water if needed.
    you want plenty of liquid as it acts as a filler.
    Remember if you don't want it to spicy then cut down on the paprika / curry powder / and black pepper.

using these quantities you will have enough soup for 4 good size bolls.

I hope you enjoy it.
  • LoveMyGrands605
    LoveMyGrands605 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love home made egg drop soup year round. On days when I will be really active, I add some boiled Chinese noodles to it. Takes the calorie count up to 150 from 120, but holds me until lunch. Any type of soup is fine, no matter what the weather is.
  • yturie47
    yturie47 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I love home made egg drop soup year round. On days when I will be really active, I add some boiled Chinese noodles to it. Takes the calorie count up to 150 from 120, but holds me until lunch. Any type of soup is fine, no matter what the weather is.

How do you make egg drop soup? I have yet to duplicate what I get at the authentic taste I love.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    yturie47 wrote: »

How do you make egg drop soup? I have yet to duplicate what I get at the authentic taste I love.

Some chicken broth steaming in a pot. An egg whisked together very well and slowly drizzled into the simmering pot, gently stirring the pot with a spoon. Some white or black pepper to taste sprinkled in and some chopped scallion (green onion) floated on top.

Some people like to put ginger and corn into the soup, some like to thicken it with a bit of corn starch in the broth, some like to drizzle sesame oil over the top. .... you can get ideas by doing a Google search.
  • jr4fl
    jr4fl Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was inspired to add my easy soup when I read the recipes. I wanted to get rid of a heavy meal day during the holiday season. I bought V8 juice - low sodium (46 oz) I heated and added about 12 oz water to dilute a bit. Then I added frozen seasoning blend - onion pepper and celery. - added mrs dash, garlic powder, fennel (found it makes it seem like there is sausage in it for my taste buds) celery seed and minced onion (dried).I let it simmer about 20 minutes to bring up the flavor Then I added rice about 1/2 cup I eyeballed it. once it was boiling. I put in frozen veggie gumbo soup mix - so the carrots etc were in it.
    - easy dump it together, let it scent the house and very low in calories.
    - This had me down the 2 lbs I had gained by giving me fiber and bulk to clear out the digestive tracts!
    - Hope you try something like it for your taste buds. I live in Florida so soup is not that common in places here and I make a lot of soup where I chop the veggies but I just did not have time for anything that day.
    -
  • TOBEADIME
    TOBEADIME Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The egg drop soup sounds amazing
  • kynesa
    kynesa Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi I LOVE soup. I tend to have a cup at least 5 times a week. Because it's a snack I like it to be under 90 calories. Here is one of my favorite go too recipe. So yummy!

Green soup

1 lb kale chopped
    12 oz spinach chopped
    2 yellow onions chopped
    1 Tablespoon EVOO
    1/4 CUP pearl barley (rice or any grain can sub)
    4 cups of your favorite broth
    3 cups water
    Cayenne pepper (optional)

Sauté onions with EVOO until caramelized. About 8 minutes. Add the kale and spinach and saute until slightly wilted. Add broth and water along with thr barley. Simmer until barley is plump and tender. Transfer in batches to a blender and puree. Place back in pot. Add cayenne and salt and pepper to taste.

Makes 8 servings
    84 calories
    1.8g fat
    12.7g carbs
    3.8 dietary fiber
    4G protein
  • superraachel
    superraachel Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    mariluny wrote: »
    I just made this yesterday and it's for sure a new quick meal to make at home.

tortellini and spinach soup (2 big portions)

1 carrot
    1 celery
    1 small onion
    1 clove of garlic
    6 cups of chicken broth
    2 cups of cheese tortellini
    2-4 cups of fresh baby spinach

Dice all the vegetables and mince the garlic. make it sweat in a bit pot with a tsp of olive oil for about 3-4minutes. Add the broth and let simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the veggies are soft.
    Add the tortellini to the soup base and let cook as per package instructions. Once cooked, add the spinach, mix and serve immediately.

I really like soup during the fall. Such a comforting meal yet forgiving in calorie and eating 2 bowls is usually not an issue! Anyone else have good recipe to share?

I made a big batch of the tortellini soup in late December, and it was soooo good. However, I have to warn you about freezing it with the pasta in it. Don't expect it to keep for as long as most soups, because the pasta will get too soft and fall apart a bit upon reheating. I just ate the last of my frozen stash today (I originally doubled the recipe), and while the taste was still yummy, the texture was disappointing. Also, since the pasta soaked up so much liquid I had to add a little extra broth. Maybe if you're planning to make a bunch of this soup, leave out the pasta and add it in upon reheating following your tortellini's instructions. Or just make smaller batches ;)

Anyone have any suggestions for freezing soups with pasta in them?