I am trying chicken thighs- help please.

Options
2»

Replies

• yturie47
    yturie47 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Thank you vaavale for two delicious looking chicken recipes with clear instructions. Have you calculated calories per serving?
  • bluelaceangel
    bluelaceangel Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This may sound silly.. but I LOVE chicken.. however the thought of not cooking it enough freaks me out. how long should I bake a pan of 4 frozen chicken breast in the oven?

• bluelaceangel
    bluelaceangel Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    A very easy way to cook boneless skinless chicken breasts /thighs without salt is to do FOIL baking.. You take your vegetables.. thin sliced onions, bell peppers, and carrots and place in the center of a 12 inch square of foil. Place chicken on top.. you can season chicken with Mrs Dash of your choice or with pineapple crushed or slices...pull the corners of the foil toward the center and create a pocket baking sure seams are folded so nothing leaks out.. bake at 325 degrees for about 45 minutes to an hour. Chicken will be moist veggies cooked.. serve over a 1/2 cup of cooked brown and wild rice. Add a salad and bread if your diet allows bread.. this is just a basic recipe. . You can change and create new tastes as you play with it. Individual pocket foil dinners are time savers and require minimum clean up
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    This recipe is awesome and crazy fast!! You can also easily keep all the ingredients on hand. BBQ Pulled Chicken: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/black-pepper-molasses-pulled-chicken-sandwiches
  • harleydoucet
    harleydoucet Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This calls for chicken breast, but I have used chicken thighs and it's still really good.
    hnzy8yrlpw9i.jpg

Per serving281 cal., 10g fat(4gsat. fat), 104mg chol., 432 mg sodium, 14 g carb., 2g fiber, 31g pro.diabetic exchanges:4 lean meat, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.

4 cups fresh spinach
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    2 tsp. olive oil
    2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese, divided
    1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
    4 boneless chicken breast (4oz each)
    1/2 cup dry whole wheat bread crumbs
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    2 cans (8oz) no salt added tomato sauce
    1 tsp each dried basal & dried oregano
    3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

1. Preheat oven to 375. In a large skillet, cook and stir spinach and garlic in oil until wilted. Drain. Stir 1 tbsp Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
    2. Pound chicken breast with a meat mallet to 1/2 in thickness. Spread each with 1 tbsp spinach mixture. Fold the chicken in half enclosing filling; secure with toothpick.
    3. Place bread crumbs and egg in separate shallow bowls. Dip chicken in egg, then roll in crumbs to coat. Place seam side down in an 8-in-square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, 20min.
    4. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine tomato sauce, basil and oregano. Pour over chicken. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and remaining Parmesan cheese. Make uncovered, 10-15 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 165. Discard toothpicks before serving.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
  • kelFowl
    kelFowl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    1 package guacamole or Ranch hidden Valley dips. 4 tablespoons Real bacon bits.

Spray baking dish with pam. Arrange chicken evenly and neatly. Sprinkle each piece of chicken with the hidden valley dips. Evenly distribute bacon pieces over that. Bake until done.
  • hazycook
    Options
    When feeling simple or just short on time:
    Salt and Pepper, maybe ur favorite seasoning like Italian Seasoning, Old Bay, or Cavanders, Lemon juice and Honey drizzled on top. Bake it. Sometimes simple is the way to go.
  • aadarling21
    aadarling21 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    If they are boneless thighs, stuff them with some spinach and mushrooms and grill them. I enjoy marinating them in chipotle and stuffing them and baking or grilling.

Or throw them in a crock pot with some low cal BBQ sauce.
  • crocky64
    crocky64 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
  • only1heena
    only1heena Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This may sound silly.. but I LOVE chicken.. however the thought of not cooking it enough freaks me out. how long should I bake a pan of 4 frozen chicken breast in the oven?

I would never cook FROZEN chicken. Especially if it is bone in. Large chance of uncooked ck. If done while frozen. Also I think by the time you cook it long enough, it would be extremely dried out. You can put it in zip lock bag and put it in cool water in the sink to defrost or on the defrost cycle in the microwave. With that said I would cook a bone in thigh that is room temp.at 350 for approx. 60 mins. Boneless 20 mins.
    Hope that helps some. Enjoy
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I put my thighs in a baking pan, add a little bit of olive oil, thin coating of pepper, around 1.5-2 cups of jarred pepperoncini "juice" and a handful of pepperoncinis. Bake and yum!
  • MouseOrgan
    MouseOrgan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi, I find using chicken thighs in my slow cooker great as you can use very little and it goes a long way in curries, stews and chillis. 4 or 5 thighs can make 6 or so meals with veg and spices and some stock. The chicken really falls apart and shreds so you get chicken throughout the whole dish rather than chunks, so a lot a of flavour for very little chicken in comparison.
  • jmw1300
    Options
    I have a super easy go-to thigh recipe and it is so easy! Preheat oven to 450. Place thighs on foil wrapped tray. Drizzle your desired number of thighs with olive oil or olive oil spray. Next sprinkle with salt and pepper all over. Chop 1 Tbsp fresh thyme and 1 tsp fresh rosemary and sprinkle over chicken. Bake for 40-45 mins. The chicken comes out a little crispy, but because it is dark meat, it stays super moist! Very simple! I serve them with mashed cauliflower and green beans!
  • Snoozypaws3000
    Snoozypaws3000 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I just posted a pasta recipe using Dolmio Hot Salsa but I also use it on chicken thighs. I skin them, seal them in a hot frying pan sprayed with a little oil, season them then wrap them in foil with a heaped tablespoon of Dolmio Salsa [16 cals for 40grams...plenty for a thigh]

I then pop them in the oven for about 30 mins 180 degrees and serve with oven roasted onions, peppers, mush and courgettes for a really low cal meal [comes in at about 250 cals for the whole meal]
    Hope that helps
    Sky
  • beachbum4044
    beachbum4044 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I just made orange chicken this weekend. I cooked the chicken 3 hours in the crockpot. Drained the chicken then added 3/4 cup each of orange marmalade and barbecue sauce plus 2 low sodium soy sauce. Cook another 30 min. Serve w steamed veggies and rice. Chicken serving is 2 oz for a girl and 4 oz for a guy. With my ingredient choices the chicken was under 200 caleries. Left over chicken was great in my salad the next day
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    wow, so many fun cool sounding recipes for chicken thighs. :D

The last time I made them and they were tasty I took a chicken thigh dipped it beaten egg then dipped it Panko Bread Crumbs (Trader Joe's style) and baked them.

So yum! So any of these I'll be living on the edge. lol
  • williamsrr1
    williamsrr1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Honey Sirracha Chicken

1/4 cup sirracha sauce (more or less dependingon how much heat you like)
    1 cup honey
    1/2 cup lime juice
    2-4 boneless/skinless chicken - frozen works great (I've only tried breasts but thighs would work)

Put the hot sauce, lime juice and honey into crockpot on high and stir until well combined. Add chicken, making sure each piece is covered with sauce. Turn crockpot to low and cook for 6-8 hours.
  • philipcummings
    philipcummings Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You'd want to defrost in the fridge overnight, not on the counter. I don't like the microwave for defrosting because the edges always end of cooking and it's kind of gross. I usually bake my b/s chicken breasts at 350 for around 35-45 minutes, depending on the thickness of the breast. And you can always cut into them to check for doneness. There's no law against that. LOL

Yeah the microwave defrost is the worst! If you don't have time to thaw them overnight, you can put them in a plastic bag and thaw them in a bath of cold water, which I still put into the fridge. It sounds crazy since you're thawing in cold water, but it works. The water is not as cold as the frozen chicken so the chicken safely thaws, but pretty quickly. DO NOT use warm/hot water. That's not safe.