Successful "No thank-yous"

Options
dawlfin318
dawlfin318 Posts: 227 Member
So, I went to a birthday party yesterday and survived! Said no to cookies, crackers ,chips, lasagna, salad with a sweet dressing, and cake and ice cream. Had a cheese stick and big glass of water before I got there. I really didn't feel deprived- more a feeling of boredom. I guess eating junk has its own entertainment value.

What did you "just say no" to?

Replies

• jwins3290
    jwins3290 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I started LCHF December 1st. I teach high school and a very sweet student brought me Oreo Cookie Balls. I kindly accepted them, then secretly passed them off to some fellow teachers. I was amazed at myself because at that point I was only a few days in. I made it through the family Christmas dinner by hosting it myself and keeping it pretty low carb. My sister brought me a Lemon Poppy Seed cake which I promptly took to the neighbors after sheleft. I hadn't told my family that I was doing LC yet because I wasn't sure I would stick it out.My husband wanted to keep the lleftover chocolate pie. So it sat there a couple of days...and I sooooo wanted a piece, but I resisted. Then I finally threw it out as he wasn't finishing it. I feel pretty accomplished as a (hopefully forever) former choc-o-holic! Congrats to you!!
  • dawlfin318
    Options
    Good Job Jwins! That would have been difficult. Best to let the family know so they can support you now that you have a good start.

I can honestly say that I do not feel hungry on this diet, and it really helps me say no.I actually have to remind myself to eat.

I have laid out some plans for those times when I feel weak (past experience).

Comfort food eating- during or after a stressful day?- now I plan to stretch and do deep breathing to calm myself, and even take the stairs at work for a few minutes if I am feeling the urge to cheat.

I like to craft, and I have a treadmill and three dogs that should also occupy my time rather than the TV and the couch. I have always wanted to train them to use the treadmill, so next time I feel the urge (even boredom makes me want to eat), I will start training new stuff or watch a program on netflix while walking on the treadmill.

Dinner out or a party? Eat before I go, drink a lot of water while I am there, so my mouth has something else to do.

Let's keep this discussion going. Congrats and keep sharing your success!

-Dawl
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    JW;

One day at a time.

You've got a month under your belt already and one thing you can always count on is that the "teacher's room" (or "faculty lounge" if yours is a more "uppity" <g> district)) will always be there.

We nicknamed ours "Hoover Universe(al)" (like the vacuum cleaners) = drop off a plate of "junk" and it disappears faster than green grass through a goose.

Set the chocolate cake or platter of Santa's cookies on the table with a sign saying:
    "The leading cause of death among fashion models is falling through street grates."

Teachers are "smart cookies" <g> - they'll know what to do.
    Problem solved.
  • hippygirl325
    hippygirl325 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I've said no to a lot of things since I started because my boyfriend is still eating "normally." Luckily it's easier since I found out I developed a severe peanut allergy because I can't eat anything that may contain or is manufactured on the same equipment as them anyway, so certain snacks and ice creams I can say no to because of that alone. :P But honestly I haven't really been craving anything I can't have except the past couple days I have had a bit of a sweet tooth. I plan on picking up some Splenda at the store when I shop so I can make myself some mini cheesecakes. I love cheesecake!
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I've said no to a lot of things since I started because my boyfriend is still eating "normally." Luckily it's easier since I found out I developed a severe peanut allergy because I can't eat anything that may contain or is manufactured on the same equipment as them anyway, so certain snacks and ice creams I can say no to because of that alone. :P But honestly I haven't really been craving anything I can't have except the past couple days I have had a bit of a sweet tooth. I plan on picking up some Splenda at the store when I shop so I can make myself some mini cheesecakes. I love cheesecake!
    Hip;

I don't remember if you've said how long you've been at the "kick the sugar habit" thing or not - or if you are doing it "cold turkey" or little by little but either way you should consider that pretty much all of the artificial sweeteners "can" reignite the sweet cravings, at least for "some" folks.

Just a quick look at your diary looks like "nature's candy" (high fructose fruits) isn't an issue for you but what "might" be is any "hidden" sugars in places you might not expect them.

Tomato sauce (pizza toppings) is one.

One other item that stands out is the sour cream, sugar free brands are available.

Your levels are certainly much better than many but sugars (like many other individual details of LC) affect different individuals in VERY different ways and require very different "numbers".

Try going total "cold turkey" (0/day) for a week - 10 days. You'll either completely beat the sugarsta completely into submission ("YES-no more cravings!"), OR, scratch somebody's eyes out - (long as it's not mine......<G>)

• quiarga
    quiarga Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I really really hate to see food go to waste, but I "just said no" by throwing out a lot of our Christmas sweets last week. I threw away a completely unopened box of chocolate covered cherries and all the sweets from my stocking, the rest of a pie, and probably a few other things. It feels like money down the drain, and I absolutely hate that, but I hate being overweight more. After reading these posts, I feel I probably should have taken the unopened stuff to my neighbor instead of wasting them!!
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself quiarga. I was brought up the same way: finish what's on your plate and don't waste. There is a point where you have to put your health first and as you learn what is good for you, you will have to get rid of the crap food.

I went to lunch with a work colleague yesterday and had a burger with a salad. I pulled the beef off the bun and it was absolutely delightful. But she kept offering me some of her fries...which I kept refusing. At the end of lunch, she complimented me on my self control. Which I think she was actually testing, but I appreciated the affirmation anyway!

Keep at it and know that the cost of dumping the candies, cookies and other 'treats' is far less then your own satisfaction and happiness (oh and improved health)!
  • jwins3290
    jwins3290 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Trust me, quiarga, I have thrown away several things as well. In a way, I felt guilty for taking the "bad" stuff to the neighbors! :D
  • dawlfin318
    Options
    Nice to see more "successful no-s" !!!!!!! Good job everyone! I had to say no to Ghirardelli chocolate chip cookies and batter last night . I used to make them and eat about two cookies worth of dough each time, probably 3x a week!
  • happylifex10
    happylifex10 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I just love this way of eating as I have not had any sugar cravings or carb cravings since I started and that has been 2 weeks. I went cold turkey when I started and it has been great. My elderly, single, neighbour loved that he got all the treat leftovers and the chocolate that was received all went into a bag in the freezer (hubby snacks from that bag from time to time but it doesn't bother me one darn bit).

I did go out for lunch this week but was prepared - I checked out the restaurant online and found the nutrition value and chose ahead of time what was going to be good choices for me instead of being rushed and picking something I shouldn't have.
  • soechsner09
    soechsner09 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    While I definitely ate too much over the holidays I ended up throwing out a bunch of sweets just so they wouldn't be there.

Also, just TODAY I said no to a coworker that brought cookies back from lunch. I also declined the M&Ms, blueberry muffins, box of treats a customer left, and cookies that were already there! (Yes, it's that out of control) ... but I didn't have any of it. I did, however, have a stick of string cheese :)
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Funny, I don't have a hard time saying no to food when I'm out & about, at a party, visiting, restaurant. I have trouble saying no in the super market where hundreds of yummy things are. That said, I said no to all the bread, fresh pasta, ice cream and buttery delicious dulce de leche cookies. I've been eating all those yummies the past 2 months & gained 5 lbs :s
  • dawlfin318
    Options
    I just love this way of eating as I have not had any sugar cravings or carb cravings since I started and that has been 2 weeks. I went cold turkey when I started and it has been great. My elderly, single, neighbour loved that he got all the treat leftovers and the chocolate that was received all went into a bag in the freezer (hubby snacks from that bag from time to time but it doesn't bother me one darn bit).

I did go out for lunch this week but was prepared - I checked out the restaurant online and found the nutrition value and chose ahead of time what was going to be good choices for me instead of being rushed and picking something I shouldn't have.

Congrats Happy!!
  • dawlfin318
    Options
    While I definitely ate too much over the holidays I ended up throwing out a bunch of sweets just so they wouldn't be there.

Also, just TODAY I said no to a coworker that brought cookies back from lunch. I also declined the M&Ms, blueberry muffins, box of treats a customer left, and cookies that were already there! (Yes, it's that out of control) ... but I didn't have any of it. I did, however, have a stick of string cheese :)

Way to go Soechsner!!! That is a lot of "nos". :wink:
  • dawlfin318
    Options
    GiGiBeans wrote: »
    Funny, I don't have a hard time saying no to food when I'm out & about, at a party, visiting, restaurant. I have trouble saying no in the super market where hundreds of yummy things are. That said, I said no to all the bread, fresh pasta, ice cream and buttery delicious dulce de leche cookies. I've been eating all those yummies the past 2 months & gained 5 lbs :s

Gigi, though you gained 5lb you are now back on track. Keep checking in. I like to make note of the nos because it makes me feel in control of my eating. Cheers to starting over!
  • tatiianag13
    tatiianag13 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I sometimes struggle with the "no" because of politeness. But the key is to be consistent. I see so many people--not just LCHF's, but anyone really--get frustrated and mad when people try to get them to eat something they don't want to eat. But when you say yes sometimes, people get mixed signals. People will keep asking if you keep saying yes. If you start saying no--whatever the reason is you give--people will really stop asking. It will take them a little bit of time to adjust, but they will change their idea of who you are and what you eat. And the wonderful fringe benefit is that so will you!
  • MynameisKimba
    Options
    The thing I have the hardest time saying no to is bread. Any kind of bread. Pasta..no problem. Whole lotta nope. Candy and cookies? No problem. But bread? OMGs that is my weakness. I've been saying no to it, though, and the trick for me is to not take even one nibble, because the flood gates will open if I do.
  • fludderbye
    fludderbye Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    i went into the holidays knowing in my head i would be up after & i am no biggie

Keep calm & Keto On !!

one day, one bite at a time-
  • dawlfin318
    Options
    I sometimes struggle with the "no" because of politeness. But the key is to be consistent. I see so many people--not just LCHF's, but anyone really--get frustrated and mad when people try to get them to eat something they don't want to eat. But when you say yes sometimes, people get mixed signals. People will keep asking if you keep saying yes. If you start saying no--whatever the reason is you give--people will really stop asking. It will take them a little bit of time to adjust, but they will change their idea of who you are and what you eat. And the wonderful fringe benefit is that so will you!

Two thumbs up!
  • dawlfin318
    Options
    The thing I have the hardest time saying no to is bread. Any kind of bread. Pasta..no problem. Whole lotta nope. Candy and cookies? No problem. But bread? OMGs that is my weakness. I've been saying no to it, though, and the trick for me is to not take even one nibble, because the flood gates will open if I do.

Sounds like a great plan. Thanks for sharing your big "NO" to a very challenging food for you.