How Low do you go ;)

Options
How low is your LC ? Im trying to stay below 50g at the moment.
How low did you go when you started ?
and How low are you for maintaining ?
thanks

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming for 50-75 g. I seem to be staying below that. Without knowing exact carbs from my stir fry last night, I was at 8 g, then added a cream cheese cloud (1.5 servings approximately, based on side I had to make them), so I was around 1 net carb there (but the above number was carbs, not net carbs)... so we'll round and say 10. Then add the stir fry which had some from the sauce and some from the veggies, but I'd still ballpark that I was under 50 no matter what...

I don't know where I'll end up yet. Adjusting as I go...

I jumped right in aiming for 50g-ish. But I've been fat loading like crazy. Today is day 7 though, and other than some mild headaches, I've been fabulous. I just keep getting dehydrated, despite drinking 100-130 ounces of water a day. I know I'm missing some small detail there (yes I'm adding broth and lots of fat and supplements with magnesium and potassium)... Regardless, the mental clarity and energy is worth all the hassles!!!

I'm no where near maintain yet, so I'll have to get back to you! :)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Less than 20. :mrgreen:
    Maintenance will probably move me up to 50g net carbs. Until then I'll be staying at this level.
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Less than 20. :mrgreen:
    Maintenance will probably move me up to 50g net carbs. Until then I'll be staying at this level.

(*) Me, too. At least that's the goal every day, but occasionally erring on the side of a few more carbs from green leafies doesn't worry me. Listen to your body. Sometimes you need more veggies, sometimes you need very little if any for the day. For instance, yesterday I didn't really eat any measureable amounts of veggies. Today there's a big salad and probably some broccoli in my future...
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Trying to stay below 20 a day. Most carbs from low starch veggies.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    How low is your LC ? Im trying to stay below 50g at the moment.
    How low did you go when you started ?
    and How low are you for maintaining ?
    thanks

I started at 20g net carbs or lower each day. I could maintain at that amount, probably.

Where am I now? Between 0g and 5g total carbs (usually <1g) a day.
  • crocky64
    crocky64 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Omg how do you ppl do it
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    20g net, I'm frequently lower than that, but its frequently because I don't eat as many vegetables as I'd like in an ideal world. :P
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    crocky64 wrote: »
    Omg how do you ppl do it

You shouldn't stress about getting as low as some people. Set your own goal and go for it. Set your goal based on what you want, not what others are doing. Do you want to be in ketosis? Start at 20-30g a day, and see if you can work up. Not that concerned about ketosis? Start at 50-100g and see how that works for you.
  • edurham79
    Options
    20g or less per day. Most of my carbs come from supper, my biggest meal of the day because I have to cook for our family. Heck I hit 5g first thing in the morning when I take my vitamins, usually at 10g by supper time and that meal usually makes up 10 or less for me. That number easily puts me in ketosis, I hope to be able to go to 40-50 for maintenance but not sure yet.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    My carbs come from my Greek yogurt I eat before the gym, 12 carbs, 28 grams protein. Everything else is meat. I do have a large salad for lunch.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    20g net carbs/day, but I'm specifically doing keto. Other folks are quite successful with less restrictive, but still quite low carb plans compared to the standard recommended low fat diets. If you are finding success at 50g/day and are happy and feel like its sustainable to eat that way long term then good for you, keep it up :)
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    20-25g net. I fluctuate a bit, especially when I crave my veggies. Upper limit is about 50g.
  • Tamekia770
    Tamekia770 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm keeping mine at 40-50 i'm not trying to reach ketosis, and i'm at a steady loss of 3-4 lbs a week and i'm happy with that... Good Luck Everyone!!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    radiii wrote: »
    20g net carbs/day, but I'm specifically doing keto. Other folks are quite successful with less restrictive, but still quite low carb plans compared to the standard recommended low fat diets. If you are finding success at 50g/day and are happy and feel like its sustainable to eat that way long term then good for you, keep it up :)

Exactly. :+1:
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    crocky64 wrote: »
    Omg how do you ppl do it

I second FIT_Goat about not stressing, but going as low as some of the people here does require a bit of a learning curve. Also, keep in mind that a lot of them do net carbs, which is total carbs minus fiber. That means they might actually be getting upwards of 50-70g of total carbs, depending on what they're eating.

I personally try to do about 50g. I aim for that to be the total carbs number, but I'm okay if it ends up being the net carb number, instead.

It's doable by basing meals around a meat+non-starchy vegetable combination. I found the easiest way to switch my mindset was to forego grains for at least a month. This forces you to find alternatives to things like sandwiches and whatnot, and forces you to not base your meals around the starch. Then, if you want, you can add them back in, and it's easier to start seeing them as a side.

Also, it helps to remind yourself that fat and meat aren't just empty sources of calories, but nutrient rich foods that can stand on their own. It's actually entirely possible to live (and even thrive) on meat alone! In other words, it's okay that your plate is more than a quarter full of a meat and fat source, and that it's not 3/4 full of vegetables. That idea does take some getting used to, though.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I am for ketosis, so try to stay around 20g net per day. I eat, like most ketoers, a lot of meat, cheese and eggs and that suits my palate perfectly! I will have some greens/veggies, but not every day. I started eating this way, for weight loss, so ketosis makes the most sense to me. It is difficult at times, but I like the reduced appetite, limited cravings and increased energy. I think at some point I'll be upping my carbs when I go into maintenance, but untiI I get there, can't say for sure though. I have no desire to go back to eating the SAD of low fat, high carbs. I know I was sluggish and bloated eating that way.

I think the biggest thing to keep in mind is patience during the learning process. Many people can get into and stay in ketosis at 30g or even 50g per day. Some people don't need to be in Ketosis to lose. You have to figure out what works best for you and that may take some trial and error. Don't beat yourself up and certainly don't measure your own progress against someone else.

Good luck!
  • annieboomboom
    annieboomboom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I am <20 . Weight loss is slow. I am experimenting with adding more fat which is a bit scary, Trying to eat light at night with a big salad.
  • nr650
    nr650 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am also <20. First few days I experienced some headaches, but I am feeling great now and find this is a pretty manageable level. I also find it difficult sometimes to get enough fat vs. protein but after a while I think I have it pretty close to where I want to be!
  • lizchk
    lizchk Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have done low carb off and on for over 15yrs.. it just seems what works for me.. right now I am doing the Atkins 40, which means you stay at 40g or below till you reach your goal and then increase until you find your maintenance number... I feel everyone has their own point view but for this is a lifestyle, this is just the way I eat, I don't think of it as a diet.. a diet has a end and lifestyle stays with you.. I done everything under the moon and I always come back cause this is what works....
  • fitmissbliss
    fitmissbliss Posts: 126 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I try to stay solidly under 40g (TOTAL) carbs per day. I hit and maintain ketosis super easily at this load per day...and really, I have found I can maintain ketosis up to 100g per day...but, I get the best appetite suppression in the 30-50 total grams per day range. A 20 and under I'm STARVING and can't sustain my workouts...and over 50 I don't notice the appetite suppression I so love about being low-carb high fat. :-)