Blood Test Results

Options
FIT_Goat
FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
I promised that I would post my blood test results, no matter how they came out. And, I will.

My total cholesterol and LDL-(calc) are up. The last full test I had, I had a total cholesterol of 168. This is lower than my typical reading of 200-210 (from when I give blood). But, the test I had Wednesday was the highest of all. My TC was 250. The LDL-(calc) was 176. On their own, these numbers seem really bad. But, they aren't a concern of mine at all. After the nurse called me to tell me about these aberrant results, my first question was, "What were my triglycerides?" Those were a 71. That's fantastic! My next question was, "What's my HDL?" That's a 60. Both of those are an improvement over my numbers from last year (139 and 53, respectively).

The number which concerns me most is Trigs/HDL. A ratio under 2 is ideal. My current ratio is 1.2. My old one was 2.6, which is not bad but it's not great either. So, my cholesterol itself might be up, but my lipid profile is well improved.

For the most part, the rest of my numbers were right in the expected ranges. There's not a whole lot to comment on. No deficiencies, nothing that massively stands out. Overall, I'm happy with the results. This is after over a year of low carb, and almost 8 months of zero-carb.

Replies

• DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    YAHOOO! That is good news. Thanks for posting it. I'm really bad about knowing what is good or bad with all those numbers. It has to be explained to me every time. I'll have to watch Fat Head again to make sense of the numbers. I should have mine checked, then I'll post them...

Thank you,

Dan the Man from Michigan

• tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    I
    The number which concerns me most is Trigs/HDL. A ratio under 2 is ideal. My current ratio is 1.2. My old one was 2.6, which is not bad but it's not great either. So, my cholesterol itself might be up, but my lipid profile is well improved.

Did you mean TOTAL cholesterol/HDL ratio rather than Trigs/HDL? I was just reviewing my last test and only saw a chol/HDL ratio listed...

• FIT_Goat
    Options
    tru2one wrote: »
    I

Did you mean TOTAL cholesterol/HDL ratio rather than Trigs/HDL? I was just reviewing my last test and only saw a chol/HDL ratio listed...

I'm glad you asked, because no. I really do mean Trigs/HDL. It won't be printed on your test, but it is a greater indicator of cardiovascular health than almost any other index. It's about as good as you can get with lipid results. It's also easy to calculate, and you'll have to calculate it on your own.

In my first test: Trigs = 139, HDL = 53. 139/53=2.6 --- This falls in the average range
    In the current test: Trigs = 71, HDL = 60. 71/60=1.2 --- This falls in the ideal range

Different levels:
    Ideal: (Trigs/HDL) <= 2
    Average: 2 < (Trigs/HDL) < 4
    High: 4 <= (Trigs/HDL) < 6
    Very High: (Trigs/HDL) >= 6

This number is the one to watch.
  • SteveKroll
    SteveKroll Posts: 94 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    That's awesome! I made an appointment at a private lab two weeks ago and had a blood test done as well. I honestly feel private labs are the only way to go. Much cheaper than the clinic, and I don't have to listen to the doctor's lecture. Best of all, I'm the only one who sees the results.

My results weren't as spectacular as yours, but I've only been on this diet for three months now. Regardless, my triglycerides are down to 142 from 330 in October, and my HDL is up to 44 from the previous 34. Calculated LDL is up a bit, too, but that's fine. The best news is that my blood glucose is markedly improved. Previously my A1c was 12.5 (holy yikes!). Now it's at 5.8, which is very close to normal. My fasting blood glucose was 283 in October, and was at 87 in the recent test. Not too shabby for a 54 year old diabetic.

In April, I'm planning to go in for a VAP test. It's a state-of-the-art blood test that gives you more detailed data on blood lipids. It includes measured (versus calculated) LDL, and a breakdown of LDL particle size - much better indicators of vascular health.
  • FIT_Goat
    edited January 2015
    Options
    SteveKroll wrote: »
    My results weren't as spectacular as yours, but I've only been on this diet for three months now. Regardless, my triglycerides are down to 142 from 330 in October, and my HDL is up to 44 from the previous 34. Calculated LDL is up a bit, too, but that's fine. The best news is that my blood glucose is markedly improved. Previously my A1c was 12.5 (holy yikes!). Now it's at 5.8, which is very close to normal. My fasting blood glucose was 283 in October, and was at 87 in the recent test. Not too shabby for a 54 year old diabetic.

I don't know why you say these results aren't spectacular. They're so insanely great! Your fasting glucose is normal. Dude, it's freaking NORMAL! From a 283, which is just insane. Your A1c is almost to where it needs to be.

You went from a 9.7 Trig/HDL to a 3.2 Trig/HDL. Again, you're in a average range... from a range that is just off the freaking charts. I went from "good" to slightly better. You went from the express lane of death to good health. Your numbers are a better testament as to what this diet can do to someone's health than mine.

Damn, you have no idea how impressed I am right now. Three months and you've basically turned your blood work completely around.
  • tru2one
    Options
    Thanks for the clarification. I thought my numbers were pretty good (tri was only 44 and HDL 111), but that puts my ratio in the "high" category, according to your chart.

The good news? Labs were taken when I was definitely more off than on low carb. :-) I think I'm going to get them drawn again in about a month, just for giggles.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    44 over 111 is a 0.4 ... that's well under 2. Even if it was HDL 44 and tri of 111... that would be a 2.5--which is pretty good. The first set is fantastic. The second set isn't bad at all either.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,451 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I found a place that does a lipid profile for 39$. Thinking I'll go in 2/18 and have it done. I had it checked 8/18(my gyn ran a full panel, wut?!) and 11/18(school physical). The trend was good, but had only been on keto a month then.

Since, I have lost an additional 27lbs and can likely drop another 8-10 by then, plus I have been taking my 1500mg omega 3's daily and consuming (generally) 7-14g of coconut oil daily.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the improvement :) That is awesome! I wonder did you consider asking for one of the tests that will get you your LDL Particle Count? My trig/HDL ratio is getting better, but I also ask for the Lipoprotein NMR test when I get it done and my particle count is still high, so I consider it something I still need to see improvement on.

I also haven't had a cholesterol test in about 6 months now, I can go get another one in February, looking forward to seeing if its changed.
  • tru2one
    Options
    44 over 111 is a 0.4 ... that's well under 2. Even if it was HDL 44 and tri of 111... that would be a 2.5--which is pretty good. The first set is fantastic. The second set isn't bad at all either.

And this is why I don't work w/ numbers for a living... ;-P Thanks frob/Fit!!
  • DarlingNikki2011
    DarlingNikki2011 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    tru2one wrote: »
    And this is why I don't work w/ numbers for a living... ;-P Thanks frob/Fit!!

Right?!?!? But this is awesome news for all of you. I got to the doc tomorrow so maybe I will ask for some tests as well. Maybe not though.
  • SteveKroll
    SteveKroll Posts: 94 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I don't know why you say these results aren't spectacular. They're so insanely great! Your fasting glucose is normal. Dude, it's freaking NORMAL! From a 283, which is just insane. Your A1c is almost to where it needs to be.
    You know... you are absolutely right. Here I was focusing more on the HDL and triglycerides not being quite where I would like them to be.... but yeah. That's a good point. Three months ago I was seriously diabetic, morbidly obese, perpetually fatigued, and, overall, going to hell in a handbasket. Today I feel like I've stepped back from the brink. I really do have a lot to be thankful for.

• ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! Congratulations, Frob!
  • tq33702
    tq33702 Posts: 121 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    After watching Dr Sikaris' vid about
    Sugar, A1c and Trigs as the important metrics,
    it's starting to sink in...
    Wonderful improvements, guys..