Teacher w/ NO THYROID... worried about school starting!

Options
kms1104
kms1104 Posts: 110 Member
Hi everyone,

I'm a middle school language arts teacher living in North Carolina, originally from Rochester, NY and Coral Springs, FL (yeah, I know, but actually AM from both). I had thyroid cancer 2 years ago, and since then I have put on more weight than ever before. I had always been in pretty good shape (played volleyball in HS, rollerbladed)... etc. Had a few higher weight periods through my life but never this high or for this long. When the scales came WAY too close to 200 lbs for my liking, I kinda freaked out. I've been exercising again, and trying to eat healthier. I'm more about being HEALTHY than losing weight, though would like to lose at least 15-20 lbs to feel the body image confidence I once felt, and to finally LIKE pictures of me again. I'm worried when the school year starts up, I'll fall of the wagon, and would LOVE some support.

I'm liking MFP as more of an educational tool. I never realized HOW many calories some things were! I'm learning to make healthier choices because of it. I'm not one to freak out at the moment if I go over my calories, etc. because I AM learning, but still am trying to stay within. Any support would rock!

Thanks,

~ Kristen

Replies

• twilightlvr79
    twilightlvr79 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hello Kristen,
    I understand your struggle. I was already big (285 lbs) at the time was diagnosed with Graves Disease (Hyperthyroid). It's a miserable struggle to be on an extremely high dose of medicine to slow down your thyroid and try to lose weight at the same time. At this point in time I still have my thyroid but I have a feeling if my thyroid goes back hyperactive this time when they ween me off the medicine that they will end up doing the thyroid ablasion and killing off my thyroid. Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like it would be great to have someone that understands the struggle with thyroid issues.
    -Linda
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I am currently undiagnosed by 'regular' doctors (lots of tests... zero answers) but a homeopath has stated I seem to be in the fluxuations of Hashimoto's disease. I flip randomly from hypo to hyper thyroidism as my thyroid is slowly being destroyed. I also have a friend (my bestie at work) who just had surgery and radition to remove her thyroid completely because of cancerous nodes. It's been tough.... her solution was to buy a bicycle. She said its peaceful to just go for a ride and its good exercise. She, like me, pre-plans all of her meals. I think that's a big deal as well!
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am a wanna-be teacher (preschool, montessori) So I understand the struggle about returning to work. (not with the health problems tho, god bless ya) but I have found that it is all about planning. and as a teacher, you know all about planning! prepare your food ahead of time, and schedule in workouts just like appointments. There is a saying I love: "start out as you mean to go on". don't tell yourself, oh, september is always rough, I will let it slide...start now, and keep it up, it will be tough, but if you can get well into september and stick to your routine, you have got it nailed.

Best of luck to you!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    If it's been 2 years since your surgery, your endocrinologist should have your thyroid levels normal by now!

My husband had Graves disease, where the thyroid grows and makes too much hormone. He was losing 10lbs a week and I was stuffing him with food. His heart rate went up to 120 and stayed there. Then he had the radioactive medication to kill his thyroid and of course went the opposite direction, down to NO thyroid hormone. He was tired, gained weight, etc. His Dr. put him on thyroid pills and tweaked them over about a year's time, having blood tests over and over, increasing or decreasing the medication. This was when he was 40 years old. He is now 53 and has lost almost 30lbs on MFP with me.
    Like I said earlier, your levels should be normal by now and if they aren't, see a new Dr.!!!

You can still lose weight with this as your thyroid levels can be normal with the right dose of medication.
    Do not give up, keep eating right and work out once you know your levels are OK!
    Good luck and <hugs>.
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    My husband had radioactive ablation of his thyroid a few years ago. Are you currently on meds, and are the doctors monitoring you at certain frequencies to make sure you are still within the "normal" range?

While he was waiting for his thyroid to die, he did struggle with his weight. It also took them several months to get his meds tweaked appropriately, so he gained a bit of weight then, too. But once they got him regulated, he was able to lose the weight just fine.

I don't believe that having thyroid issues means you are doomed to be overweight for the rest of your life. The key is making sure you are properly dosed. Once that happens, the body is able to respond appropriately to diet and exercise.
  • 75Juniper
    Options
    If it's been 2 years since your surgery, your endocrinologist should have your thyroid levels normal by now!

My husband had Graves disease, where the thyroid grows and makes too much hormone. He was losing 10lbs a week and I was stuffing him with food. His heart rate went up to 120 and stayed there. Then he had the radioactive medication to kill his thyroid and of course went the opposite direction, down to NO thyroid hormone. He was tired, gained weight, etc. His Dr. put him on thyroid pills and tweaked them over about a year's time, having blood tests over and over, increasing or decreasing the medication. This was when he was 40 years old. He is now 53 and has lost almost 30lbs on MFP with me.
    Like I said earlier, your levels should be normal by now and if they aren't, see a new Dr.!!!

You can still lose weight with this as your thyroid levels can be normal with the right dose of medication.
    Do not give up, keep eating right and work out once you know your levels are OK!
    Good luck and <hugs>.

^^^Absolutely this!
  • kms1104
    Options
    That's awesome that there are good stories for you guys! For a lot of people, thyroid issues are more than just numbers, and many people with no thyroid experience hypo or hyper symptoms even with the numbers being good. I've found my biggest struggles are how thyroid issues branch out to vitamin absorption (my vitamin D and B12 are low, which also effect weight gain, etc.), energy levels, and so on which make it more difficult. My thyroid is certainly not the ONLY reason I gained weight, but it plays a role. AND losing was much easier with a thyroid than it has been since. SO... just working through and finding the right balance.
  • 75Juniper
    Options
    That's awesome that there are good stories for you guys! For a lot of people, thyroid issues are more than just numbers, and many people with no thyroid experience hypo or hyper symptoms even with the numbers being good. I've found my biggest struggles are how thyroid issues branch out to vitamin absorption (my vitamin D and B12 are low, which also effect weight gain, etc.), energy levels, and so on which make it more difficult. My thyroid is certainly not the ONLY reason I gained weight, but it plays a role. AND losing was much easier with a thyroid than it has been since. SO... just working through and finding the right balance.

In case this is in regard to what I posted, I wanted to clarify.

I agree with you that "normal" is different for everyone and that it doesn't always have to do with the accepted laboratory ranges. I think the important thing is to work with your doctor to try and resolve your thyroid and vitamin absorption issues. Log your symptoms, keep good communication with your doctor/endo, and don't give up until you feel you are in a good place.

My husband had serious, life-threatening symptoms for years before he was diagnosed, and then it took a couple of years to stabilize his meds. Every day was a constant struggle for him because he had so many symptoms. Now, he's doing fine. I know it isn't easy, but if you are persistent and keep pecking at the doctor (or find a new doctor), you can live a more normal life.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • kms1104
    Options
    Thank you! Yes, it does just make it a little bit more of a challenge. I'm not one to "blame" my thyroid and thyroid cancer treatment on EVERYTHING, it's just hard explaining the challenges without sounding "poor me", which is not how I like to come across either. Thanks for the support. It IS sad sometimes that symptoms can be life threatning before the thyroid issues are identified <3
  • kms1104
    Options
    Hi! I am a wanna-be teacher (preschool, montessori) So I understand the struggle about returning to work. (not with the health problems tho, god bless ya) but I have found that it is all about planning. and as a teacher, you know all about planning! prepare your food ahead of time, and schedule in workouts just like appointments. There is a saying I love: "start out as you mean to go on". don't tell yourself, oh, september is always rough, I will let it slide...start now, and keep it up, it will be tough, but if you can get well into september and stick to your routine, you have got it nailed.

Best of luck to you!

This is my plan :) I've been "watching what I eat" for MONTHS, but exercising big time since summer. I'm trying to REALLY push myself these last three weeks so I can keep the momentum going. I work a part time job, too, so I know I'll probably have to cut down on the exercise on days I work my 2nd job. I've always done well during the day during the school year with food. It's that 3-6 o'clock lull BEFORE dinner that I feel STARVING and crave a massive amount of carbs or food. I eat healthy all day during the year and just struggle at that time. I'm trying to figure out better ways to get through those time periods to keep myself going and supress my appetite and desire for food.