Weekly Post 25/01/15 - 31/01/15

Options

Replies

• lulu1066
    lulu1066 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    good luck razalar on your first fast - it is a bit scary, but you'll get there! hiya calorina.
  • Revcminor
    Options
    Stuck in the house all day because of a blizzard. I scheduled a fasting day today. Not sure how easy this will be as I'm stuck in the house. Feeling determined!
  • suttercm
    suttercm Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's fast day felt pretty good. On my way home last evening I was marveling at the fact that I had eaten so few calories and still didn't feel overly hungry. When I got home my husband had bought some Veggie Chips and wanted me to try them. Unfortunately I did! Although I didn't go over too much, I still need to reign it in and not give in to those impulses. Next fast day is Thursday. Good luck all!
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    It's 18h30 - first fast of the week is in the bag. Went well until now. Even got in a brisk walk of over an hour through the snow with the horse I normally ride.
  • mwhite61451
    mwhite61451 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Just got home from SoCal (San Diego). Ate too much pie. At least there is no Cocos in VA! Time to get back in the groove. Did get 80 miles of cycling in while I was there...which is 80 I would not have gotten here. Will fast at least one day this week...then back to 2 next week.
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody! First fast day of the week. After reading a number of posts on the topic I have decided to squeeze my fast day calories into the end of the day. Love being able to eat an almost normal dinner with the family. Drinking lots of tea an water in the mean time.
  • jknight001
    Options
    razalar wrote: »
    First ever fast day for me today so I'm feeling a bit apprehensive! Almost on high alert for hungry feelings, which can't be a good thing. Thankfully it looks like a busy day at work so that should keep me distracted. Any tips and encouragement welcome!!

Tip 1: Remember that as long as you get plenty fluids you can go with out food for a looong time. So you won't die.
    Tip 2: Put things into your day you look forward to, i.e. a movie, a book, a cup of your favorite tea, a long, hot bath. Plan for some good things so your fast day doesn't feel like punishment but a time of rest from meal planning and eating.
    Tip 3: Remember you're "just one day away from pudding at any time". (thx @lulu1066!).

You can do this!
  • flumi_f
    Options
    Tip 4: If you are some one that loves food...make fast day meals tasty, colorful and spicey. Even 500cals can be delcious!
  • BadgerLamb236
    BadgerLamb236 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I love food!! (ex-chef). 20:30 here and just finished my first fast day of the week - saved all my calories for a really tasty dinner. This works well for me as my husband and I have the same food, I just give him more carbs (red potatoes today). Next fast day scheduled for Thursday.
  • jknight001
    Options
    flumi_f wrote: »
    Tip 4: If you are some one that loves food...make fast day meals tasty, colorful and spicey. Even 500cals can be delcious!

Agree! And adding one encouragement - it does get easier and more rewarding as the weeks go by. You will find your relationship with food start to change and that is when it gets really exciting!

• smithiekat
    smithiekat Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    This is my first time posting here (hi!) but I do at least one day a week of fasting. And I can't do the "cram all your calories into the end of the day" thing. I usually make a green smoothie and sip on that through the morning. And then munch on carrots or cucumbers for the afternoon. Egg whites and spinach/veggies for dinner. Today I wasn't super hungry when I woke up but I had an apple to kick things off. Is the 5:2 supposed to not include lots of fruits and veggies (emphasis on veggies)?
  • jknight001
    Options
    smithiekat wrote: »
    This is my first time posting here (hi!) but I do at least one day a week of fasting. And I can't do the "cram all your calories into the end of the day" thing. I usually make a green smoothie and sip on that through the morning. And then munch on carrots or cucumbers for the afternoon. Egg whites and spinach/veggies for dinner. Today I wasn't super hungry when I woke up but I had an apple to kick things off. Is the 5:2 supposed to not include lots of fruits and veggies (emphasis on veggies)?

The basic premise is that you can eat whatever you want as long as you eat 1/4 of your TDEE calories for two days and at your TDEE for 5 days, for losing weight. Maintenance is 6:1.

Now, IMHO, I am doing my body a favor if I eat foods that are healthy for it but the 5:2 plan has no food restrictions or recommendations attached to it that I am aware of.
  • flumi_f
    edited January 2015
    Options
    smithiekat wrote: »
    Is the 5:2 supposed to not include lots of fruits and veggies (emphasis on veggies)?

Where did you find this?? I'd be lost without them ;-) I eat loads of veggies on fast days. I limit the fruits a little, because they tend to be higher in cals. Berries are great though. And I add lean protein sources. That is my recipe for my fast days.

I save the grain carbs and other treats for non fast days because of their higher cal density.

• tostaky
    tostaky Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hello, ive just started fasting so looking for company really!
    Im doing 6:1 for now (and it went very well) and last week i managed a day at 750 cals as well as my FD.
    I might try another fast day on thursday again. My problem is the weekend... Everytime there is a social event i tend not to care as im busy chatting etc... But when i do the math afterwards... Ouch!!! Especially wine...
  • tostaky
    tostaky Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to add me as a friend too :)
  • Jetli1
    Jetli1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wow made it through my first fast day yesterday. Couple of tweaks to do, but I made it! I thought my stomach would eat itself, but I ignored it as much as I could. Feeling good today little hungry, but I sure I can fast again tomorrow.
  • jknight001
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Jetli1 wrote: »
    Wow made it through my first fast day yesterday. Couple of tweaks to do, but I made it! I thought my stomach would eat itself, but I ignored it as much as I could. Feeling good today little hungry, but I sure I can fast again tomorrow.

Fantastic! You are stronger than you know.
  • chiccam
    chiccam Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Fast day today. I opened my fridge to prepare my carrots and they were rubber. I'm lost without my crunchy carrots on fastday.
    I ended with around 700 cal's.

Need to buy carrots!!!

I love to read everyone's post, though I'm not great at replying. It's all so helpful and hopeful!!! :D
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Third fasted Tuesday yesterday, I have found that if I do not have carbohydrate on a fast day I do not get hunger pangs. Then go for a walk at midday, for distraction.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Just finished my back=to=back low carb experiment, and I'm feeling fine!

Does anyone know on the "What Diet For You approach what the daily carb level was? I know they were allowed up to 800 calories.