Weekly Post 25/01/15 - 31/01/15

Options

Replies

• iwannabeonthebeach
    iwannabeonthebeach Posts: 146 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Week 2 and and FD #4 for me today. I've been feeling quite under the weather this week so my appetite has deserted me, which means I haven't even been eating my non-FD calories. Hope that's not reflected on the scales later this week :(
  • MrsGraves1987
    MrsGraves1987 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Morning all, week 4 and 8th fast today for me. I don't know how much I've lost, because I try not to weigh - although I did this morning because my jeans I wear normally were tight?!?!?! :\ Anyhoo, I have 2stone to lose (at the moment) that'll take me within the healthy BMI range (at the very top though...). Trying to lose get down to 150lbs by 1st April which is 9 weeks away, and currently works out at a healthy 1.2lbs loss a week. Fingers crossed :)
  • lulu1066
    lulu1066 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a very sensible and achievable goal , and better than my 'I need to lose another ten pounds by next weekend'. From reading what other posters say, I am understanding that this is a long term commitment and not a quick fix. I'm fasting too today and it's okay, but not easier than two weeks' ago which is what some people report.
  • orlcam
    orlcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    FYI: One of Flumi's pics is in the banner (since Friday?)...
    Looking to cycle them every now and then, so if you have a picture you've taken that you consider inspirational then please post it.

Nothing else positive to report...still getting back into fasting...over the past 2 months I've gained almost half my weight back (ouch). Logging, logging, logging ='s salvation.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Opps, I missed the pic!

Orlcam - I think, alot of us have had trouble getting back on track after the holidays. Can't really say what will help you.... I started by not buying as many treats (if they aren't in the cupboard, I can't eat them...) and doing some homework with postive affirmations. These are not directly diet related, more with positive thinking and liking yourself....as this is one of the issues, I've had to work on for successful weightloss and maintainance.

Maybe you need to start working on other things, before you are able to jump back on the weightloss train.

The longer days and increasing my exercise this past week have also lifted my spirits. I hope you find your key!
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    First post here in the weekly thread! Just found this group and I'm so excited! I started 5:2 back in December. I've been losing weight slowly but consistently lost each week since I've started. I fast on Monday's and Thursday's, so today I am feasting! Going to go to the gym tonight and get a workout in, too.
  • kah78
    kah78 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Hi all. New to posting. Not new to lurking. :-) Started this "eating strategy" Jan 1...closing in on one month. Took a while to get my NFD calories in line, but seem to be getting better at that. Weight loss has been s-l-o-w, but it is headed in the right direction...which is better than how it was before. In a few days I will have my monthly results.

I've lost weight before on MFP just tracking calories/exercise back when I had one kid, but I need something different right now that fits better with my family and my time. I have three boys...two under the age of 3, and the pregnancy weight from the last two still to lose. Counting/logging every single thing I put into my mouth has not been a successful strategy this time, so I decided to try this. The pros of this method: As long as I can keep myself on track with the fast days, it gives my NFDs much more caloric flexibility, which is important given the bouts of emotional eating I tend to have during and after a rough day. I can usually reign it in enough to not really mess up a 1600-1700 calorie day...but it would blow a 1200 calorie day out of the water.

Fasting days are really a mental thing for me, I have found out. Once I eat, the hungries/hangries get me and I cave quickly. So, I stick to liquids and eat dinner with my family (coffee with creamer at bfast, broth at lunch, and water, etc throughout the day. Bonus is, I can eat the same thing I fix for them, just skipping the carb/starch. The hardest part is having to fix meals/snacks for the kids on Fast days. I'm currently a SAHM so I'm home with them all the time...surrounded by food and kids. Whew. I think I could blow this thing out of the water if I only had to worry about feeding me all the time. I"m such a social eater.

I've decided to take it a month at a time and see how it goes. I'm finding, if nothing else, this approach really forces me to be intentional about what I am doing, and it is retraining some of the messages in my brain that hunger is something that must be stopped at all costs. Its not going to kill me to wait a little while for food...so step away from the candy bar. :-)

I tend to post long posts. Case in point....
  • smithiekat
    smithiekat Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    flumi_f wrote: »
    smithiekat wrote: »
    Is the 5:2 supposed to not include lots of fruits and veggies (emphasis on veggies)?

Where did you find this?? I'd be lost without them ;-) I eat loads of veggies on fast days. I limit the fruits a little, because they tend to be higher in cals. Berries are great though. And I add lean protein sources. That is my recipe for my fast days.

I save the grain carbs and other treats for non fast days because of their higher cal density.

It's not that I read it anywhere. . . just no one else seems to take them approach as me on fast days. Like, other people seem to have success actually fasting, whereas I eat raw veggies all day long. Usually my mouth gets tired. Haha. Just ate a whole cucumber (sliced). Nom Nom. Happy fasting!
  • snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Haven't fasted this week yet...felt so bad not getting my Tuesday fast in...still Planning my fast tomorrow, hopefully I can stay motivated.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I don't know ANYONE who actually fasts - i.e eats nothing all day!

Honestly, veggies are the 5:2ers friend.
  • flumi_f
    Options
    Smithiekat - the beauty and success of 5:2 is it can be tailored to your needs. If you need to graze, that's fine. 500 cals twice a week. That's the 'rule'. Everything else is up to you :)

I do better on two meals, as I get hungry if I graze. Both ways are legit. You need to do what works for you as that is the only way it can be sustainable.
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Second fast day. Let's go!
  • flumi_f
    Options
    Mine has been pushed back to Friday.... Was planned for tomorrow, but doc pushed my appointment to another time, thus moving tonights plans to tomorrow, thus moving my fast....Gee how glad am I, that 5:2 is flexible :p
  • orlcam
    orlcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I'm becoming increasingly frightened by the # of cat people we have in this group. Sorry, unrelated subject...hmmm...or is it?
  • cal0rina
    cal0rina Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hahahaha, might have to change my pic to one of my cats :p second fast tomorrow, debating sat as well, I have alot to lose
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Thought I'd change my avatar to my dog, just to counteract all these cats :D
  • snaps27
    Options
    Fast day for me today....and it's gonna be tough!!. Woke up tired with no motivation. Have now made my tea (30cals) and will nurse that. I will be busy writing today so hopefully I will make it through. 9AM...8 hours until dinner and counting....
  • snaps27
    Options
    PS: I'm allergic... ;)
  • snaps27
    Options
    orlcam wrote: »
    FYI: One of Flumi's pics is in the banner (since Friday?)...
    Looking to cycle them every now and then, so if you have a picture you've taken that you consider inspirational then please post it.

Nothing else positive to report...still getting back into fasting...over the past 2 months I've gained almost half my weight back (ouch). Logging, logging, logging ='s salvation.

Thought that pic looked familiar...thanks Orlcam.
  • iwannabeonthebeach
    iwannabeonthebeach Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    orlcam wrote: »
    I'm becoming increasingly frightened by the # of cat people we have in this group. Sorry, unrelated subject...hmmm...or is it?

LOL I love cats but I'm allergic too, I don't have any pics of me that I wanted to use as my avatar and Grumpy Cat suited my mood at the time so no apologies from me :wink: