I will never mention Low Carb or no sugar again on the discussion board WOW

Options
megthehen
megthehen Posts: 21 Member
I have just had 14 replies telling me that omitting sugar is a gimmick and stupid and will not result in weight loss. And sugar consumption has nothing to do with diabetes. So the mantra is stick to a calorie deficit and you will lose weight. Okay, I cant do that. Tried and tried and tried. I just end up binge eating on sugar. So I am going to do this no matter what the common sense multitude say.

Replies

• annieboomboom
    annieboomboom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    wow. Lots of misinformation out there. I think sugar is more dangerous than almost anything we eat. I think it is the cause of a lot of disease. We weren't designed for processed sugars. It is no wonder the American heath care system is broken and we are paying for everyone's ignorance .
  • Salsabia
    Salsabia Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Let them starve! I'm with you. When I LC I don't have cravings. I keep weight off. I have more energy and feel amazing. Every time I get off it I blow up and crave food constantly!
  • volfan22
    volfan22 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I made the same "mistake" by trying to reason with them or just commenting about "stevia" being more natural. Holy cow - the comments got downright personal and mean. I just stick to this site and one other now. Everyone has their opinions and thoughts on what works - I say do what's best for you and nothing else really matters.
  • dawlfin318
    dawlfin318 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Ditto to all of you. My doctor, who is also my sister's doc, is OK with us on this WOE. She is watching our lab work and we call the office with questions. We have been having trouble sleeping and had to manage our electrolytes and eat more carbs at dinner time rather than earlier in the day, and it is working. Keto on everyone!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Meg as you can read we all have had the same experience over there. :) I still reply to serious posts by people about sugar and try to not see posts from those just wanting to fight.

Until I stopped sugar I was hungry even when gaining 2 pounds every week. :(

This freedom to eat and not go hungry and still lose weight and lose a ton of pain just boggles my mind.

Dawlfin318 that is good you are being watched. How is your Vitamin D3 levels. Being low can impact sleep I read and if taking any D3 to do it in the morning because if taken at bedtime it can impact sleep as well. There is a lot of good stuff that can be Googled. I am watching a lot of medical convention speakers on Youtube as well.
  • nscal
    nscal Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Meg I read your post and all the comments on the discussion board...just crazy! I too have cut out the sugar, use only splenda, and do very low carbs. My cravings for "chocolate" and other sweets have tamed down. Didn't realize how carbs affected me until one day at lunch I ate Sweet potato fries and by 2 or 3 that afternoon I was having a major chocolate attack! It was a bad one too. I didn't give in but after that I noticed how my body reacts to carbs.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    ugh! The Litterbox and it's nasties strike again!!!
    :angry:

Well, megthehen, you are in a safe harbor here.
  • angieshubin
    angieshubin Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Yea, people can be pretty mean. I just stick with the LCHF groups and my LCHF friends. Good to have the support and I learn a lot :)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    ugh! The Litterbox and it's nasties strike again!!!
    :angry:

Well, megthehen, you are in a safe harbor here.

Yep, this. I've gone so far as using browser addons to remove the sidebar from my dashboard and removed the sections from the main forum page (so even if I hit "all categories" or whatever, I don't see anything other than my groups).

Just not worth it.
  • CanadaEh1
    CanadaEh1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yup ... I'm going to be a "closet" low carber once I start because some of my friends are ones who argue it is a bad thing; but from what I have read, it should help my immune issues ... So, for me it's worth trying ... but I don't have the energy to deal with defending my decision ... Take care :)
  • debbiewillersveik
    debbiewillersveik Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm with everyone else. Nobodys business unless they are going to inquire or encourage....the rest can step aside :) I lost 30lbs doing this and exercising...not about to let someone tell me I'm doing it all wrong!!!
  • ellenkilpatrick
    ellenkilpatrick Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I just to recieve alot of negativity... but now when people ask my eating style...I tell them that I am eating an anti-imflamatory diet... they ask and I say I try to avoid those foods that causes aches and pains, and imflamation in my body, such as bread cereals pasta etc... they are satsified and leave me alone!!!!!!
  • Rigra74
    Rigra74 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Megthehen, you might want to help those people the next time they tell you that calorie reduction is the only way. Help them with math that is. ... see, since the 70's Americans have consumed roughly 500 more calories per day than they did then. By logic, that would mean that we would all weigh around 1100 pounds or more. Also, let them know that sugar comes in many forms. .. Candy, bagels, chips, bread of any flavor. Calories are not all created equal! High quality fat, non starchy vegetables, moderate amounts of high quality protein = high quality of life!
  • debbiewillersveik
    debbiewillersveik Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You are right Rigra74, Lack of knowledge is what held me back. Some don't care to hear it though, but if it's "out there" at least someone who has an open mind might hear exactly what they need to hear to change ... Even possibly save, their life!!!
  • megthehen
    Options
    Thanks Great to hear that I am not the only one who thinks it makes sense, that if your body can't metabolise sugar then it's a good idea to stay away from it. They just say over and over that diabetes is caused by obesity. Duh, what causes obesity? Too many calories. It would be interesting to see what would happen if I at 1500 calories a day of just pure sugar for 21 days. I bet it would effect my blood sugar. Anyway, I will stay away from the sheeple on the discussion boards and stick to my 21 day sugar detox, which will lead to a sugar free life (mostly) and a happy healthy old age.
    Ok, just 1 more question: how bad is wine? Some books say it's okay (1 glass a day) others say stay away. I love wine!
  • megthehen
    Options
    I'm with everyone else. Nobodys business unless they are going to inquire or encourage....the rest can step aside :) I lost 30lbs doing this and exercising...not about to let someone tell me I'm doing it all wrong!!!

• megthehen
    Options
    Debbie, how long did it take to lose weight, I have 70pounds to lose, about as I use kilos. I plan to stick to this forever if it works for me because for the first time ever I don't feel like eating all day. I normally drive straight to the shop to buy food to eat in the car on my way home from work. 3 days in, I haven't felt the need to do this. I actually waited till 1:30 to eat my lunch. It's usually gone by 10:30am. I feel very positive that this is going to be do able. I only walk for exercise at the moment but I have joined a gym. Still a little nervous to try that.
  • dawlfin318
    dawlfin318 Posts: 227 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Meg as you can read we all have had the same experience over there. :) I still reply to serious posts by people about sugar and try to not see posts from those just wanting to fight.

Until I stopped sugar I was hungry even when gaining 2 pounds every week. :(

This freedom to eat and not go hungry and still lose weight and lose a ton of pain just boggles my mind.

Dawlfin318 that is good you are being watched. How is your Vitamin D3 levels. Being low can impact sleep I read and if taking any D3 to do it in the morning because if taken at bedtime it can impact sleep as well. There is a lot of good stuff that can be Googled. I am watching a lot of medical convention speakers on Youtube as well.

My sister and I run low normal(28-30) even with supplementing vit D. In the winter I take 5000mg a day. We live in the northeast.I do better since taking it( and I only take it in the am) but thanks so much for the tip! ;-) I will try anything that could help. I have so much more energy it is a bit crazy! My house is much cleaner now, lol .

I love not being hungry and being easily able to say no to sugar!!! Birthday cake even my much loved chocolate chip cookie dough. Amazing how easy it is to say no and not feel deprived. I make my own dark chocolate and crack off a small piece when I feel jealous of what my family is eating.

If you have any other tips for sleep let me know. I tried melatonin 3mg, and it did nothing.
    If I could just sleep this diet would be perfect.

-Andrea
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Rigra74 wrote: »
    Megthehen, you might want to help those people the next time they tell you that calorie reduction is the only way. Help them with math that is. ... see, since the 70's Americans have consumed roughly 500 more calories per day than they did then. By logic, that would mean that we would all weigh around 1100 pounds or more. Also, let them know that sugar comes in many forms. .. Candy, bagels, chips, bread of any flavor. Calories are not all created equal! High quality fat, non starchy vegetables, moderate amounts of high quality protein = high quality of life!

If it's a friend or family member, sure. If it's in the MFP general forums, don't even bother wasting your time. They refuse to listen and will proceed to mock and harass you more for suggesting that their dietary god (calorie is a calorie is a calorie) isn't quite correct. They'll also have some retort or another for the 1100 pound thing (something along the lines of it being bad math or bad science or maybe they'll just claim it broscience or pseudoscience).

If you're going to be in the general forums, my suggestion is to stay quiet and look for the people that you can guide to the group here and send them a private message. Leave the crap in the Litterbox.
  • HaggisWhisperer
    HaggisWhisperer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I think maybe people just don't like told that something they enjoy might be bad for them- there is probably an element of denial going on as well (they might not like what they find if they actually do some proper research). I imagine that there are some parallels with when it was first discovered that smoking could cause lung cancer etc. The big tobacco companies spent a lot of money and effort trying to disprove the science and now we are seeing a lot of lobbying and watering down of new sugar guidelines in response to some of the food manufacturers. I suppose unless you start to dig into the science and literature for yourself, you wouldn't know what to believe - and given that governments aren't really on message yet it is not surprising that we are made out to be fools. I'm not sure if you have watched Robert Lustig's latest lecture on You Tube yet, but he said something that really hit home to me - he said that you will never be able to get the large scale randomised trials for this as you couldn't find a population who was naive to added sugar exposure. You just have to make your own mind up based on the weight of evidence available. I'm convinced enough to have made some major changes to my diet.