I will never mention Low Carb or no sugar again on the discussion board WOW

Options

Replies

• heyhey2015
    heyhey2015 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Well, I am new here and I feel a huge sense of relief. I thought I was alone in getting pummeled by the main forum. Still don't understand why so nasty. I even got bold print caps thrown at me! Ha! I am glad I didn't quit mfp, and found people who say if it works for you then keep going. Out there it is more like" if it works for you, then you are killing yourself and how dare you be happy or feel good..." Constructive criticism - all for it. Calling me an idiot or being nasty- no thank you
  • christiec2015
    Options
    I don't know why people can't keep their opinions to themselves and respect/stop judging other peoples eating plans. If it works for them, that's all that matters!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    heyhey2015 wrote: »
    Well, I am new here and I feel a huge sense of relief. I thought I was alone in getting pummeled by the main forum. Still don't understand why so nasty. I even got bold print caps thrown at me! Ha! I am glad I didn't quit mfp, and found people who say if it works for you then keep going. Out there it is more like" if it works for you, then you are killing yourself and how dare you be happy or feel good..." Constructive criticism - all for it. Calling me an idiot or being nasty- no thank you

I do not know why they do it but I guess they do it to try and run off new members from "their" play ground. They still are saying I stole my own identity. :)

It may be because I just ignore them but it seems the abuse has slowed down because there are some major threads on low carb eating lifestyle on the main forum that permits new members to learn about this and other sub groups.

By the way welcome to MFP. :)
  • heyhey2015
    heyhey2015 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you. That is a weird dynamic out there. Thank goodness I found a group that is supportive of each other. Feel like I just found the safe house,whew!!!! Haha.
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I went to the main forum, which I usually avoid. What I was so curious about is I did not see a link to this group? How did I find this group? How did you all find this group? I guess I am having a super senior moment.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I went to the main forum, which I usually avoid. What I was so curious about is I did not see a link to this group? How did I find this group? How did you all find this group? I guess I am having a super senior moment.

The link to this group gets posted in threads on the main forum from time to time and I clicked on that to get here I think.

• cathy120861
    cathy120861 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor, a scientist or a nutritionist. Here is what i know:
    at the beginning of the year i switch up my eating, so that i am consuming many many fewer carbs, but actually slightly more calories. In the 30 days since i made that change i have lost more weight than i lost in September, October, November and December put together, even though i was eating slightly fewer calories during those months. in addition, both my mood and my energy level are more stable.

I dont tell strangers how to treat their bodies. But i also dont listen to unsolicited advice about how i should treat mine.

My mother always says "you dont have to know very much as long as you know who to listen to and who to trust." the corollary, of course, is that you also have to know who to ignore.
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that the people who are getting away with eating a lot of carbs in the form of processed food and refined sugar are young, for the most part active (ie running it off quickly, as I did when younger) and not dealing with any serious medical issues. This would seem to point to the fact that you can eat a high carb (and I mean unhealthy carbs) diet and still be healthy. The problem is that it hasn't caught up with them yet in the form of cancer, diabetes, insulin issues, etc. and I'm afraid it most certainly will. I know lots of people in their seventies who for the most part appear healthy but who have indulged in unhealthy carbs most of their lives and who are dying of cancer. I personally have tried the ole calories are calories approach and it didn't work for me. The health benefits of low carb (less migraines, less rashes, less bloating and hopefully weight loss) are enough for me. If we eat too much "nonfood" it will eventually catch up with us in one form or another.
  • shadesofidaho
    Options

The link to this group gets posted in threads on the main forum from time to time and I clicked on that to get here I think.
    Well as much as I prefer the high carbers to stay away. Shouldn't there be a link to this group for those people new to low carbing so they can get help with out all the flack from the other forums?
  • debbiewillersveik
    debbiewillersveik Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    That's how I found it too....I searched LCHF and found it in the middle of a thread. I searched a little, but wasn't too tough, on the other hand it could have been easier...lol.
  • vvallentyne
    vvallentyne Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I do low carb too to keep my cravings in check. Bread and pasta and sweets will have me in an endless eating loop.
  • vvallentyne
    vvallentyne Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    P.S. I could use a few low carber friends for support. :D
  • thedarkwombat
    thedarkwombat Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Everyone on the main boards are sugar addicts who want to have their cake (literally) and eat it too. As long as their cake pr pie or ice cream fits into their daily calories they justify it.
  • shadesofidaho
    Options
    To the carbagers it seems impossible to be able to give it up. It might be a little more work in the beginning to learn a new way of eating. A bit more effort to not starve yourself. But like every other addiction once past the big craving it is not that much of a problem. I have even eaten out several times and stayed low carb. I get yucky looks when I take a bun off a burger and slather a heap of mayo on the cheese. OH well. We have a few places kind of locally,10 and 20 miles away, that still make home made burgers not the mystery meat patties.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    The folks on the main boards have very particular opinions. Or rather, one opinion. They firmly believe in CICO, and that counting is the ONLY thing to consider.
    And, they work to try to educate people with what THEY believe is reality. A couple of things that particularly irk them are "demonizing foods" (as they see it) and things like "detoxes". It just sets them off.

They don't often talk about nutrition, as they see all foods as being "good" as long as they are tasty.

That said, many of them are very well read. They just choose not to believe many of the things low carbers believe, low glycemic folks believe, nutritarians believe... they believe in eating the way they've always eaten (Standard American SAD Diet) and counting calories.

It's not a huge surprise, it's a calorie counting website. It's why I suggested you join a low carb group. Educating them on what you believe is not worth the time most of the time.

But now you're here. Theres also a sugar group if that interests you: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/9637-the-skinny-on-obesity
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    I try to go on and find LC threads and post the link. I'm afraid to make a post just for this purpose, should the Shirtless Mafia dogpile upon it and make me angry. It's better for everyone if I can keep my tongue in check.
  • shadesofidaho
    Options
    Oh I posted yesterday to a hungry one just to annoy them. They ignored me. I should have posted the link DARN.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I started MFP earlier this month because I got tired of having to use 3 different pages to track net carbs on sparkpeople. I also used to moderate a chat room that would frequently be overrun with anti-social 14-18 year olds. I find a lot of similarities between the main forums and that chat room :wink:

I'm not backing down from them, and I think I've worked out a shortlist of who the worst of the trolls are. One was so obvious about it, I recognized him by sight my first day. I do think some of them have the huge misconception that your acct date on MFP equates to your entire weight loss process, meaning if you've been here for one month, you just learned to spell the word "diet" one month ago, and have never watched tv or read a book in your entire life prior. If their acct is older than yours, then obviously, they're smarter than you. I'll admit, I'm having fun shattering that illusion for them, and as someone else mentioned, a lot of them are just too young and naive to understand that there's more to how healthy you are beyond scale numbers and having the swolest profile pic in the thread.

I do wonder what their cholesterol and 1A6 is going to look like in 20 years.
  • msurkan2
    msurkan2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You just have to do what works for you! I love eating low carb and no sugar. It was tough for the first 10 days (keto flu), but great now! No more cravings for the first time ever in my life. I am insulin resistant/PCOS and this is the only "diet" that leaves me with satiety. I don't feel deprived like I do with typical calorie restricted diets. I don't have to eat every two hours to avoid feeling cranky/low blood sugar.
  • fatchimom
    fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    "Let Them Eat Cake."!!!!!!