mother's and wives do you cook separately for the family?

Options
Salsabia
Salsabia Posts: 7 Member
I find myself making 2 meals sometimes. My 3 year old won't eat many veggies. Husband will eat my low cab dinners but she usually won't. Last night I made them spaghetti and I ate something entirely different.

Replies

• MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have a husband, a 13 year old stepson, and a 2 year old. I start all of our dinners the same and then take a portion out for myself. For example I would take some of the ground beef after cooking it for myself before putting in the spaghetti sauce for everyone else. Then either throw it on a salad, or if its a decent amount just put some cheese and lettuce on it. I do that with a lot of things like sloppy joes, casseroles, spaghetti, etc. Or I make something like grilled chicken or whatever and then add a extra side to their plates if its not something I mix in with noodles/sauce.

ETA: My toddler won't eat many veggies anymore either. It's like he flipped the switch. I mash in sweet potatoes to any type of pasta and I also serve him the protein portion of the meal before any type of carb side. He would only eat the carb part if I let him which won't keep him full and although he is not overweight, he is higher than average.
    Not sure if fruits are a problem, but I like to give him smoothies which can hold him over like a meal. I'm tempted to throw a little spinach in there to sneak in more veggies.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I try to do the same as MelRC117, but it there are definitely times when I eat something completely different. Mom to a 14 yo and 5 yo, and they, as well as hubby, love their carbs. So I try to cook something we all can eat at least part of, but it's a challenge at times. Last night was tacos, I made a taco salad; few nights before they had spaghetti, meatballs and fresh Italian bread, I had meatballs on spinach. Today we're home due to the weather, and they had fresh, gooey and delicious looking cinnamon buns, while I had...a boiled egg and some pepperoni slices.

It's challenging at times, especially when I make home made pizza or mashed potatoes for them. I will sometimes take a bite, and usually spit it right out after realizing that it doesn't taste as good as I expected!

I'd certainly like to get the family to limit there carbs a bit, but right now I have to focus on my own woe and really have some long time success before trying that.

Good luck.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Nope. I usually make a starch side and they eat that and hit the bread stash.

Last night was meatloaf, I added salad to my plate, and stuck potatoes in oven for carb people in my house. Carb people also had bread, bananas for dessert.

I stick to simple foods, chicken, baked, steak, burgers. This makes everyone happy, especially the picky eaters who won't eat sauces or casseroles anyway. My daughter used to be the pickiest eater, I would give her cut up chicken, baked sweet potato, apples...That is plenty of food for a toddler. And switch things up...sure, I made mac and cheese, and I just would not eat any. The other night, they all wanted frozen pizza, fine, I made them pizza and nd had a salad myself. That is as far as I go for separate dinners. ..and frozen pizza is a treat for them.
  • volfan22
    volfan22 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    You're speaking to my soul - yes, I have to make 3-4 different meals each night. I have one that only eats pizza....period. I have taught him to bake - he makes his own now. My parents are with us for a while - my dad won't eat cheese. My mother only eats tomatoes and cheetos - makes me nuts. The rest don't eat like me - but I try to make some things like y'all do - and just have it with a salad or veggie. Such a pain in the butt!! Tonight we are having burgers - I'll make all the stuff - then they can fix it they way they like it. I do wish there was an easier way. (If only I knew the word "NO!") It's getting expensive!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options

This is what goes on in my house.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

This is what goes on in my house.

Same, though it's rice or potatoes, since we don't keep bread around.

Well...that's not totally true. We do often end up making dinner separately for my son, but that's mainly because our schedules don't line up right now. His bedtime 7pm, and we're often not starting dinner until 5:30-6, so if the meal takes an hour to cook, he'd have no time to eat. As a result, he often gets leftovers or something else that can be thrown together quickly. When we can all eat the same meal together, everyone has the same things available to them. They can choose whether or not to eat any given item, but I refuse to cook two meals like that.
  • CanadaEh1
    CanadaEh1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yes. Sometimes three different meals if I am preparing meals for my parents, myself and my son. Lol. Kind of used to it by now. There are usually some crossovers; but there are always separate things for all due to allergies, intolerances and dietary choices. :)
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    The teens in my house were always welcome to load up on extra PB&J sandwiches or cereal, but catering to six people is not gonna happen! Mama does not run a restaurant.

You guys that do, created your own monster. No one ever died from eating rotisserie chicken, broccoli with cheese sauce, and a baked potato. That was my dinner the other night, no potato.
  • CanadaEh1
    Options
    The teens in my house were always welcome to load up on extra PB&J sandwiches or cereal, but catering to six people is not gonna happen! Mama does not run a restaurant.

You guys that do, created your own monster. No one ever died from eating rotisserie chicken, broccoli with cheese sauce, and a baked potato. That was my dinner the other night, no potato.

My son would die, as all dairy products close off his airway ... That's just one of his allergies ... I'm glad your family doesn't have any life threatening allergies :)
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    CanadaEh1 wrote: »

My son would die, as all dairy products close off his airway ... That's just one of his allergies ... I'm glad your family doesn't have any life threatening allergies :)

Well, I think that Soft was simply referring to catering to the picky eaters, not avoiding life threatening allergens. ;-) I seriously feel for those of you who have to be so very vigilant regarding food allergens. My sister is just such a mama, with a daughter who is so deathly allergic to nuts that even a kiss goodnight from mom or dad after they've eaten something containing nuts can mean a trip to the ER. Not a cool thing for a family, and especially a child, to have to deal with.

Having said that, though, I'm also of the "I'm not running a restaurant here, folks" mentality. I'll make a meal that includes a meat and veggie I can eat and add a starch for those who have no health or weight issues.

If you don't like what's put on the table, grab some cheese and an apple and better luck tomorrow! lol
  • CanadaEh1
    Options
    tru2one wrote: »
    CanadaEh1 wrote: »

Well, I think that Soft was simply referring to catering to the picky eaters, not avoiding life threatening allergens. ;-) I seriously feel for those of you who have to be so very vigilant regarding food allergens. My sister is just such a mama, with a daughter who is so deathly allergic to nuts that even a kiss goodnight from mom or dad after they've eaten something containing nuts can mean a trip to the ER. Not a cool thing for a family, and especially a child, to have to deal with.

Having said that, though, I'm also of the "I'm not running a restaurant here, folks" mentality. I'll make a meal that includes a meat and veggie I can eat and add a starch for those who have no health or weight issues.

If you don't like what's put on the table, grab some cheese and an apple and better luck tomorrow! lol

Ditto :). I agree 100%
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    99.5% of the time I make myself a modified version. I've been doing this for almost 3 years so it's just natural to me.
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I don't cook separate meals. I rarely even cook extra carbs.

They are happy to mostly eat whatever I make. My stand is that if you don't like what I'm making, you're free to have a sandwich/toast/fruit/yoghurt/whatever else you can find.

If I'm cooking something like pizza I just make myself a low carb crust and everyone else gets regular bases. They're happy to eat bolognaise sauce with sour cream and guacamole now (sometimes in a wrap) and have stopped asking about pasta.

I've found that the family has adapted and they loooooove low carb cheesecake. ;)
  • megthehen
    megthehen Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    volfan22 wrote: »
    You're speaking to my soul - yes, I have to make 3-4 different meals each night. I have one that only eats pizza....period. I have taught him to bake - he makes his own now. My parents are with us for a while - my dad won't eat cheese. My mother only eats tomatoes and cheetos - makes me nuts. The rest don't eat like me - but I try to make some things like y'all do - and just have it with a salad or veggie. Such a pain in the butt!! Tonight we are having burgers - I'll make all the stuff - then they can fix it they way they like it. I do wish there was an easier way. (If only I knew the word "NO!") It's getting expensive!

• megthehen
    megthehen Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    This is me too a tee, I cook three meals each night, one for a fussy 8 year old, (only eats fish fingers or chicken nuggets.) another for my older kids and usually a different meal for hubby and me. I used to love cooking, now not so much!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    megthehen wrote: »
    This is me too a tee, I cook three meals each night, one for a fussy 8 year old, (only eats fish fingers or chicken nuggets.) another for my older kids and usually a different meal for hubby and me. I used to love cooking, now not so much!

There is an "easier" way -- put your foot down. Tell them that in no uncertain terms, you're done being the short order cook. Every single one of those people that you all have mentioned are old enough to make their own food. Cook in a sort of "modular" way -- a meat, a non-starchy vegetable or two, and a starch. That way, people can eat what they choose from what's available.

Don't like it? Tough. They can make their own food, then, but you're not making it for them anymore.

This goes doubly so for the kids. Kids are only as picky as you let them be unless there's an underlying medical/physiological reason (in which case, you need to find a doctor willing to find and address that underlying cause).

And for the childish adults, don't even buy the food if it's only to cater to their pickiness. If you're buying tomatoes for burgers or salads or whatever, that's one thing, but if the only reason you buy tomatoes is because it's all your mom eats, then don't do it! She's an adult. If she's that determined to eat only tomatoes and cheetos, then she can go get them herself, or make arrangements with someone else to get them for her if she's not capable.

Your house (or at least, your kitchen, because even if it isn't your house, you're the one cooking the meal(s)), your rules. Don't let them control you.
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Your house (or at least, your kitchen, because even if it isn't your house, you're the one cooking the meal(s)), your rules. Don't let them control you.
    c3b0l5xxme0n.png

• He1loKitty
    He1loKitty Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    We don't have kids but I don't cook anything different for my husband and he has lost even more weight than me by eating my low carb dinners! And he doesn't eat low carb at breakfast or lunch. Not fair, right? :p
  • volfan22
    volfan22 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    megthehen wrote: »

There is an "easier" way -- put your foot down. Tell them that in no uncertain terms, you're done being the short order cook. Every single one of those people that you all have mentioned are old enough to make their own food. Cook in a sort of "modular" way -- a meat, a non-starchy vegetable or two, and a starch. That way, people can eat what they choose from what's available.

Don't like it? Tough. They can make their own food, then, but you're not making it for them anymore.

This goes doubly so for the kids. Kids are only as picky as you let them be unless there's an underlying medical/physiological reason (in which case, you need to find a doctor willing to find and address that underlying cause).

And for the childish adults, don't even buy the food if it's only to cater to their pickiness. If you're buying tomatoes for burgers or salads or whatever, that's one thing, but if the only reason you buy tomatoes is because it's all your mom eats, then don't do it! She's an adult. If she's that determined to eat only tomatoes and cheetos, then she can go get them herself, or make arrangements with someone else to get them for her if she's not capable.

I get your sentiment and believe me - we have tried everything. (up to and including doctor visits, etc.) I can't change them - my son has had issues ever since he had his tonsils/adnoids removed - he lost his sense of smell and is very sensitive to textures. My kids do make their own meals when they don't like what I provide (except the 9 year old). As for my mother - well...she's just never going to change and thankfully this is just a visit - she doesn't live with me, but she is not capable of getting to the store, she can't drive.

Last night was a success - I made burgers with all the fixins - we just laid everything out and said - make your own plate. :) Now to figure out what's on the menu tonight! It's just never ending!
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    We share the meat when we can. I have been cooking different for hubby since he was on chemo 2 years ago. Tastes change with chemo. UGH. In order to get him to even eat anything I took food orders like a short order cook. Then I would fix some thing for me.

Now I am low carbing and he is not I usually end up fixing two meals. I do NOT want him to lose weight. It is only the two of us so it is not a big deal. My problem is getting him to realize it is ok to ask for a meal, like lasagna, for him even if I can not eat it. I am happy to fix it for him. It is MY WOE not his. It is my choice to eat this way. BUT if he were not sick I would be cooking this LCHF WOE and he would also eat it. He can not have high fat. I sneak in LC foods when in I can for him. WE have come a long way with his eating considering when he came home after surgery his meals were set out on butter pat dishes, 2 1/2 to 3 inches in diameter.