Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    That's definitely the way it works, it's like riding a bicycle - when it clicks it's clicked, especially when you keep swimming. Your body programs the things that clicked into muscle memory because you keep repeating them. Keeping my mind occupied is exactly why I swim with an iPod.....
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Girlwithgirls - that is brilliant. Well done - pushing yourself to go the extra lap is so rewarding and before you know it you will be doing longer and longer sets.
  • Ambymaries
    Ambymaries Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    started my swim classes today and managed to swim 4 lengths non-stop! yay! I know that sounds like nothing to many but my Easter goal is to swim 12 lengths non-stop, and considering I couldn't swim one length non-stop at the start of the year, I'm happy. definitely feel fitter from all the aqua jogging I've been doing...

I'm definitely in a similar boat as you! I started adult swim strokes on Sunday. My goal is 3 lengths non stop :persevere: I can do 2 comfortably but that's about it. I started the class late (missed the first 2 weeks) but it seems like all of the others in the class have the same goal: endurance. I'm excited for the next class!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    900 meters = 60 minutes
    Stroke Improvement Lessons. Missed the last week - Alpine Skiing in Northern BC.
    Managed 4 semi-decent flip turns. Still get a little corkscrew :s and a little to far from the wall for a good push. But progress as at least my feet came all the way around and I could touch the wall. B) Just need to clean it up. As Ashen and Girlwithcurls2 said " Finding the bottom of the pool " will help me in completing a clean turn.

Panda, Bruceapple and Bama you are rocking the clock :)
    Macstraw, Noel and girlwithcurls2 thanks for the great support of everyone here.

newoutlook welcome to the group and you will be doing way more than 12 lengths by Easter. One day in the pool lots of little lessons become automatic and you will take off!!
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Great job everyone.
    Due to one thing after another been out of the pool for almost 3 weeks now - longest I've been away from the pool since I started the MFP journey in August 2013, and I'm really itching to get back into it. Wondering what will have happened to my form after all this time away?
    On the plus side I lost 3-4 kilos of Christmas weight so it's not all bad!
    Hoping by Friday at least I'll be ok to get back in the pool!
    Keep up with the great swims y'all!
    :smile:
  • newoutlook2014
    newoutlook2014 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Ambymaries wrote: »
    started my swim classes today and managed to swim 4 lengths non-stop! yay! I know that sounds like nothing to many but my Easter goal is to swim 12 lengths non-stop, and considering I couldn't swim one length non-stop at the start of the year, I'm happy. definitely feel fitter from all the aqua jogging I've been doing...

I'm definitely in a similar boat as you! I started adult swim strokes on Sunday. My goal is 3 lengths non stop :persevere: I can do 2 comfortably but that's about it. I started the class late (missed the first 2 weeks) but it seems like all of the others in the class have the same goal: endurance. I'm excited for the next class!

yay!!! good for you. I'm loving the lessons. my next goal is to swim in deep water. I still panic. go us!! keep it up

• Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Yes, 2 miles @‌ 64 minutes (PR)
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    1950 60:00 Drills...
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    About 40 minutes with lots of stops and chats. It felt good though. And Noel, I forgot to put the bean in my jar last night! I woke up and remembered this morning when I saw my suit drying... ;) (I really do need a smaller jar, lol.)
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    LOL. I still haven't bought any jelly beans. I need to go ahead and do that. Go you!
  • Macstraw
    Options
    Some fantastic swimming going on!!!!!
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I FINALLY SWAM TODAY.

First time back in the pool in over a month. Every time it amazes me how fast swim fitness goes away, compared to other sports. This was the first time it felt kind of odd (had trouble getting the rhythms right) instead of just slow. Strange, since I've taken 12 *years* off in the past, hehe...

My mind was allll over the place and I have no idea what my free set ended up actually being. I struggled through 5x100 IM at the end. I have lost a *ton* of butterfly shape, even with weight training. So much of fly is hips...

Onwards and wetwards!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    1000m free at noon lane swim.
    Drills - drills - drills and flip turn attempts.

newoutlook - Swimming in the Deep End: ironically when I started swimming my first successful trip from one end of the pool to the other ( crossing the deep end ) was learning the Backstroke. So busy concentrating on the stroke, kick, breathing, head tilt/position and pushing my belly button to the roof that I completely lost track of where I was in the pool until I smacked my arm on the end wall. It just proved to me that it was a mental barrier - not a skill level barrier.
  • AquaticQuests
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I FINALLY SWAM TODAY.

First time back in the pool in over a month. Every time it amazes me how fast swim fitness goes away, compared to other sports. This was the first time it felt kind of odd (had trouble getting the rhythms right) instead of just slow. Strange, since I've taken 12 *years* off in the past, hehe...

My mind was allll over the place and I have no idea what my free set ended up actually being. I struggled through 5x100 IM at the end. I have lost a *ton* of butterfly shape, even with weight training. So much of fly is hips...

Onwards and wetwards!

Know exactly how you feel, catastrophe! Was my first swim after 3 weeks away, and it showed!
    "Onwards and westwards"!
  • AquaticQuests
    edited January 2015
    Options
    2.5 km in 60 min.

Evidently a pretty significant loss of form in those 3 weeks away (bordering on catastrophic?)!
    That said, quite a few of those minutes were spent fumbling about with the new Neptune Finis, trying to get the best position for the thing on my head, and tumble turns were scrapped for this session.
    So hoping to quickly get back in the swing of things and take off those additional 6 minutes ASAP!

That said, it was pretty cool swimming with music for the first time ever!
    I'm back!
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    Oh, @aquaticquests, I KNOW that feels good to be back in the water.

1500 45:37
  • bama6977
    bama6977 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    18x50yds@30 min. 4x50 with new SCUBA fins
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    120 laps, 6000 yards, 5486.4M, 3.409miles. :)
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    1 @ 32 min + 1 @ 33 min + 1@ 33 min = 3miles @ 98 min (PR)
  • Macstraw
    Options
    Having had some time periods of missing swimming for an extended amount of time, I will tell you that it won't take long to get your mojo back. It's just a matter of a few sessions to shake the rust off. Even the fly will come back quickly.....