AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    2.5 km 55:25
  • AquaticQuests
    edited December 2014
    Options
    1500 43:36

Not my most brilliant or speediest swim. I hadda share a lane and the pool was taken over by the Masters team who decided to come in early this morning and swim 75 x 100. The lifeguard was joking they were insane. Given the swims I WANT to do, all I could do is say a little sadly, "Naw, that's just good training." while thinking that I wish I were already capable of doing that. I'll get there. I'm just impatient...

You'll get there Noel.
    I started on MFP and swimming after a long time in Aug 2013.
    My stock swim was 32 lengths ie 800 m
    Fast forward to December 2014, and my daily swim is 2.5 km and every so often a 5 km and I am contemplating a 10 km one off swim this month hopefully, if my body will cope!

So you are most definitely on the right track, and by the time those Masters swimmers are doing 75 x 100, they've been building up to that kind of stamina and capability in the muscles over a long period, otherwise if they rushed it, injuries would inevitably follow!
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
    Macstraw wrote: »
    Thanks Bruce!
    Macstraw we permit you to live vicariously only for this week :smile:
    Great work everyone.
    2.5 km 55:42

AQ - I need to respectfully request at least another week, all those work days that have been getting put off look like they're coming into play now. Great job dropping the 5km time another 5 minutes. Efficiency definitely is making a difference....

Request reluctantly granted, sir!
    :smile:
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    My pool is closed for maintenance till the 15. :\
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Oh the PAIN!!!! That's awful, @Bruceapple. You hanging in there okay?
  • AquaticQuests
    edited December 2014
    Options
    2.5 km 54:04 PB (presuming I counted correctly)
    Refinements in body position which I had inadvertently let deteriorate as I worked on other stroke technique issues!
    Although I'm not relying on the Total Immersion approach for my stroke changes (more Sheila Taormina's Swim Speed Secrets and Paul Newsome's Swim Smooth), the TI "swim downwards" concept I hear about helped me keep my lower body up and straight in the water this session!
  • AquaticQuests
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Bruceapple wrote: »
    My pool is closed for maintenance till the 15. :\

That is an eternity!
    Praying that you make it through :wink:
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
    2.5 km 55:25
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    1500yds 42:24
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Great job, everybody!!!! I have been looking on (& I'm jealous of those that are swimming right now...lol)
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    1300 36:29 Been resisting joining the Masters team because I'll kill myself competing with the spandex crowd and I feel like it'll suck the fun out of it.

But there is a new lifeguard at the pool who does individual lessons, and I'm going to work with her to refine my stroke. (Not sure what it means when one's form is described as diligent, but I expect it means my stroke is pretty steady)
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    Awesome, Noel! From where I'm sitting, you seem pretty ready :) I'm swimming 4-5 days a week, but sooo slowly, and not for long. Tuesday's swim was THE FIRST time I felt a rhythm, and was not feeling as winded as usual. I realized that I was getting a better breathing pattern down. I'm hopeful for tonight...

I think working with an instructor is so helpful. You'll probably progress much more quickly and then, watch out, spandex crowd!! ;)
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    Well, my first swims as an adult-onset swimmer were more like 450 yards and took 20 minutes. So improvement does happen! You'll start to feel amazing when you swim soon.
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
    2.5 km 55:05
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
    Awesome, Noel! From where I'm sitting, you seem pretty ready :) I'm swimming 4-5 days a week, but sooo slowly, and not for long. Tuesday's swim was THE FIRST time I felt a rhythm, and was not feeling as winded as usual. I realized that I was getting a better breathing pattern down. I'm hopeful for tonight...

I think working with an instructor is so helpful. You'll probably progress much more quickly and then, watch out, spandex crowd!! ;)

Good job curls!
    If it's any encouragement, even if I am swimming 5 km, I am usually completely winded in the first 10 to 20 lengths, then I settle into the rhythm.
    So don't be discouraged if you feel winded at the beginning, as I think that's pretty normal and expected no matter how fit you are, and once you break through that mental barrier, you're good to keep going!
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    1500 42:30
  • AquaticQuests
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm supposed to be swimming a 5 km swimathon this coming Saturday and looking forward to challenging my time from a year ago, and now I can't swim until a painful eye stye that developed over the weekend resolves!
    Bummer!
    :-(
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Good morning - haven't posted my swims on here for an age but have still been swimming most days. Thought I would attempt the fly again this morning after not tackling it for a few months. Managed 3x20m lengths which is good for me (with backstroke in between). Tomorrow am aiming to do 5 lengths.
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    1500 42:53 I've picked up the weights again, and I was sorrreeeeee. However, swimming is great recovery from leg day.

Oh, man AquaticQuests, that's a bummer! Have you tried a warm compress? That can help.

Very cool, Panda... I haven't had the guts to try fly in 40 years *grin*
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Thanks Noel - I finally learnt how to do the fly over the summer and only attempted it a few times in my pool because a) I didn't want people to think I was showing off and b) its soooo splashy and needs room. But I was talking with a swimming friend last night who does fly a lot and he said just go for it and don't worry about the others so I am making the effort. It takes a lot out of me and I figure I will get very fit very fast if I keep it up.