2000 58:43
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Yes, 2 miles @ 75 minutes
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have no idea how far. 35 minutes.

I got coaching and was doing drills. I am Doing It Wrong and need to back up to fix that. Which is good. Practicing mistakes puts that into muscle memory.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    If you call what I do swimming... ;) Still doing lots of practice, trying to find a breathing rhythm, and get my technique right. I still turn my head too far, sometimes turning my torso, although not as much as before. It's a slow process for me, but I want to be able to do this if I want or need to later in life. And I don't want to be struggling like this at that time. I'm learning now what I should have learned as a kid.

Curls - you are well on the way. Changing old habits is not going to be accomplished overnight, but you are making steady progress. One of the biggest signs is that you are now aware of what you're doing & you can feel when it's right or wrong. As you work on it more & more, you'll have to think about it less & less.....
  • Macstraw
    Options
    1300 39:00

Anyone else feel clumsy in the water for the first hundred yards or so after a few days out of the pool?

Depending on how many days, it takes a lot longer than 100 yards. Yesterday was my first day back in after about a month (the 1st couple of weeks was expected due to work, the last were not - I got slammed by a cold & a little bronchitis) & it took almost the whole workout to start feeling right. Today was much better, I didn't feel the rust like I did yesterday.

Yesterday - All free: 250, 500, 1000, 1500, 1500, 1000, 500, 250

Today - 250 free, 500 free, 1000 free, 5 x 200 I.M., 200 free, 3 x 200 I.M., 2 x 100 I.M., 1000 free, 500 free, 250 free. I was pleasantly surprised to be able to do all the I.M.'s I was doing before the layoff. I'll be in the water the next 2 days, I miss all of next week for medical treatments, the week after I'll get a couple of days in the water, the 1st 3 weeks in January I'm out because of work, the 4th week in January I miss for treatments & then I'll have another week or 2 away - although I don't know if that will be immediately after the January treatments. Hopefully I can do enough by the end of the year to be able to do everything when I get back in for good.....
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Not lately. Our community pool is outdoors and its been chilly(for AZ) and I haven't used it in months. Sometimes we visit the public heated pool when its decent outside. But haven't done that as late this year as we can at times.

I can't afford a gym membership at a gym that has one or even membership at the close by indoor pool that has open swim times. Walking a lot for exercise but looking forward to spring swimming again. I need to hunt down some dry land exercise that will help tone arms up so I can work on form more when I start swimming again.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    2.5 km 55 ish min.
    Trying out tip I read about - getting big toes to touch on the kick to ensure no scissor kick going on!
    There's one guy that has always been a tad faster than me. Haven't seen him for a few weeks and today I was catching and passing him in the other lane. He must be wondering what is going on! Yet today was not one of my particularly fast days!
    Motivational!
    All this effort spent on technique changes and refinements, lap after lap, is not for nothing!!!
    :smile:
  • AquaticQuests
    edited December 2014
    Options
    bama6977 wrote: »
    12/13: 40 min, free style mixed with/without swim fins
    12/11: 30 min, free style mixed with/without swim fins
    12/9: 30 min, free style mixed with/without swim fins
    12/6: 30 min, free style mixed with/without swim fins
    Week prior recovering from chest cold

Good job Bama!
  • AquaticQuests
    edited December 2014
    Options
    2000 58:43
    Wow that's the longest I've seen you post! Good job!

Not lately. Our community pool is outdoors and its been chilly(for AZ) and I haven't used it in months. Sometimes we visit the public heated pool when its decent outside. But haven't done that as late this year as we can at times.

I can't afford a gym membership at a gym that has one or even membership at the close by indoor pool that has open swim times. Walking a lot for exercise but looking forward to spring swimming again. I need to hunt down some dry land exercise that will help tone arms up so I can work on form more when I start swimming again.

Whatever you can do consistently will work fine Mel!

Macstraw wrote: »
    1300 39:00

Anyone else feel clumsy in the water for the first hundred yards or so after a few days out of the pool?

Depending on how many days, it takes a lot longer than 100 yards. Yesterday was my first day back in after about a month (the 1st couple of weeks was expected due to work, the last were not - I got slammed by a cold & a little bronchitis) & it took almost the whole workout to start feeling right. Today was much better, I didn't feel the rust like I did yesterday.

Yesterday - All free: 250, 500, 1000, 1500, 1500, 1000, 500, 250

Today - 250 free, 500 free, 1000 free, 5 x 200 I.M., 200 free, 3 x 200 I.M., 2 x 100 I.M., 1000 free, 500 free, 250 free. I was pleasantly surprised to be able to do all the I.M.'s I was doing before the layoff. I'll be in the water the next 2 days, I miss all of next week for medical treatments, the week after I'll get a couple of days in the water, the 1st 3 weeks in January I'm out because of work, the 4th week in January I miss for treatments & then I'll have another week or 2 away - although I don't know if that will be immediately after the January treatments. Hopefully I can do enough by the end of the year to be able to do everything when I get back in for good.....

Back with a bang with the crazy distances as always! Welcome back Mac!
  • Macstraw
    Options
    Thanks, AQ, it feels good to be back. Just trying to keep in it enough to last me through the next spell that I'll be away - then it's back to trying to up the I.M. distance....
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Yes; 1mile @ 39 minutes.
  • AquaticQuests
    edited December 2014
    Options
    2.5 km freestyle 55 ish min. (lost count)
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
    Macstraw wrote: »
    Thanks, AQ, it feels good to be back. Just trying to keep in it enough to last me through the next spell that I'll be away - then it's back to trying to up the I.M. distance....

Great!
    My IM has been on pause the last 2-3 months as I've been zeroing in on my freestyle technique and times!
    May start back on it in the new year!
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Pleased with today's swim as it put me back to pre latest health relapse levels. ok it's still half the speed of some of you guys (i did 1k in 38mins, including drills etc) and half the distance or even less than others. My, some of your posts are almost intimidatingly good!! But at least I'm almost back on my game, and can get back to gradually chipping away at the speed/ upping the distances next year.

I am a slow improver . (As an example, i first swam a kilometre - with drills - in May 2012, in 43 mins, and my best for this distance, this Sept - again with drills - at 36 mins is not so much faster really!) Still, I am still doing it.

Setting goals for next year now. They include: developing a regular non-drill 1k routine at under 30 mins, and doing an hour (1.5km or 1 mile) swim once a month at least. And preferably weekly.

Good luck to those of you reviewing your swimming goals for next year too!

• Macstraw
    Options
    gently - you will see the improvements start to come faster, particularly now that you are back to where you were before the relapse. Keep working on the efficiency, that's where the time drops will come from.....

Today was all freestyle for me: 250, 500, 1000, 1500, 1500, 1000, 500, 250 (I thought I had posted it here already, but I must have put it in another thread - again)
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
    Pleased with today's swim as it put me back to pre latest health relapse levels. ok it's still half the speed of some of you guys (i did 1k in 38mins, including drills etc) and half the distance or even less than others. My, some of your posts are almost intimidatingly good!! But at least I'm almost back on my game, and can get back to gradually chipping away at the speed/ upping the distances next year.

I am a slow improver . (As an example, i first swam a kilometre - with drills - in May 2012, in 43 mins, and my best for this distance, this Sept - again with drills - at 36 mins is not so much faster really!) Still, I am still doing it.

Setting goals for next year now. They include: developing a regular non-drill 1k routine at under 30 mins, and doing an hour (1.5km or 1 mile) swim once a month at least. And preferably weekly.

Good luck to those of you reviewing your swimming goals for next year too!

Gently, 7-8 minutes is a BIG improvement in swimming terms!!!
  • AquaticQuests
    edited December 2014
    Options
    It's worked out that December is when I try the crazy stuff!
    So I'm excited as I just completed my first ever 10 km (10,936 yards) marathon swim.
    Took me about 4 hours 10 min to complete in a 25 meter pool. 400 lengths!
    There's no chance of my going over on the calories today - that's for sure!
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    1200 yards 40 minutes.

I do not have any idea how in the bloody most unprintable bad words that a two beat kick is supposed to help my speed. I get that I need some torque on my torso rotation and that I need to extend my stroke, but my normal swimming method has me at 25 strokes per length. The two beat kick brings me down to 37. It's not just learning a new technique, though. It seems to me unnecessarily clumsy and weak.

Anyone know what I might be missing?