Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    1.25 km 28 min
    Was short of time and it also started raining!
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
    Macstraw wrote: »
    Gently - a trainer at my gym was talking to me about swimmers' shoulders & pointed out that, since swimming is such an unnatural overhead motion & the shoulders are the least stable major joints, swimmers are prone to pain. He turned me on to the exercises ...
    -
    These exercises help strengthen the muscles in & around the shoulders, thereby helping to stabilize the joints. They were definitely a big help & as I get ready to get back to the pool much more often I need to start back up on them. There are also other exercises you can find on YouTube......

Thanks for the reminder Mac. I regularly do the shoulder ones, due to my historical issues with rotator cuff pain, but tend to overlook the rest, so it is a reminder that I need to be doing them all!
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    1100 31:21 and a half hour swim lesson.

Gonna learn flip turns next!
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    80 minutes saturday.
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Swam two miles in exactly one hour yesterday. Another two miles this morning, slightly slower as threw in a few flip turns (got to start somewhere) and a few breast/back lengths too. Felt good after not swimming all week as not near a pool.
  • shagins
    shagins Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just getting back into swimming and had my best swim to date Friday. 1500 meters with several intervals at 300-400m each. Took yesterday off but will be hitting it up later on. Just so y'all know I'm doing this to lose weight, tone up and increase cardio. Any advice or words of wisdom are greatly welcomed.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    Yes, swam for 65 minutes, 1 mile, 946 calories :-)
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    1200 35:29
  • AquaticQuests
    edited February 2015
    Options
    1100 31:21 and a half hour swim lesson.
    Gonna learn flip turns next!

I found that flip turns (plus learning to streamline well off the wall) substantially brought down my turns perhaps by eliminating rests at end of each length, and the streamlining reducing drag!
    With the increase in stroke rate, I'm back to zero (nil) flip turns until I have built up the aerobic (and anaerobic?) engine to sustain that rate without all out fatigue, then the flip turns will be back!
    cw106 wrote: »
    80 minutes saturday.
    Woah! Since when do you swim for 80 min CW? Good job!
    60sPanda wrote: »
    Swam two miles in exactly one hour yesterday. Another two miles this morning, slightly slower as threw in a few flip turns (got to start somewhere) and a few breast/back lengths too. Felt good after not swimming all week as not near a pool.
    Fantastic times as always! Awesome!
    shagins wrote: »
    Just getting back into swimming and had my best swim to date Friday. 1500 meters with several intervals at 300-400m each. Took yesterday off but will be hitting it up later on. Just so y'all know I'm doing this to lose weight, tone up and increase cardio. Any advice or words of wisdom are greatly welcomed.
    Those are the very same reasons I got in the pool. Lost 33 lbs. to keep it interesting, gradually up your targets over time. Maingaining proper technique greatly aids with body toning, so work on learning and incorporating proper technique, as that won't just help your swim speed, but body tone too!
    Yes, swam for 65 minutes, 1 mile, 946 calories :-)
    First post? Welcome! WTG!

• NoelFigart1
    Options
    1600 44:44
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Yes, 2 miles @‌ 67 minutes
  • AquaticQuests
    edited February 2015
    Options
    2.5 km 57 min
    I wasn't going to swim, but seeing all the activity on here, I just had to!
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    Ya! Peer Pressure as a power for good!
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    40 mins front crawl only ,using leg buoy due to running injury, for 1km.
    first km in 25m pool.
    @AquaticQuests‌ 80-90 mins for 2km was my usual daily swim last summer/ autumn to lose the first 40llbs.i lost too much muscle too tho and couldnt keep it up.thats when i started new gym/ pool/ regime incorporating strength training and core.
    the time/ effort took its toll,as well as giving me muscle ache!
    now i am almost at goal of - 70llbs, i can get back to the swimming i enjoy so much.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Returned from a ski vacation with a nasty head cold and mild ankle sprain ( not a ski / lounge lizard injury) so no swimming until I can breath.
  • getfitrenee22
    Options
    My fiancé and I swam yesterday...he's into triathlons but needs a few swim lessons to improve efficiency...I did 2000 in 50min with lots of chatting/drill watching every 100yds...he survived about a 600 before he called it quits!
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
    Ya! Peer Pressure as a power for good!
    It really is :grin:
    cw106 wrote: »
    40 mins front crawl only ,using leg buoy due to running injury, for 1km.
    first km in 25m pool.
    @AquaticQuests‌ 80-90 mins for 2km was my usual daily swim last summer/ autumn to lose the first 40llbs.i lost too much muscle too tho and couldnt keep it up.thats when i started new gym/ pool/ regime incorporating strength training and core.
    the time/ effort took its toll,as well as giving me muscle ache!
    now i am almost at goal of - 70llbs, i can get back to the swimming i enjoy so much.
    Almost at goal! Fantastic job CW
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Returned from a ski vacation with a nasty head cold and mild ankle sprain ( not a ski / lounge lizard injury) so no swimming until I can breath.
    Get well soon!
    My fiancé and I swam yesterday...he's into triathlons but needs a few swim lessons to improve efficiency...I did 2000 in 50min with lots of chatting/drill watching every 100yds...he survived about a 600 before he called it quits!
    He's lucky to have a teacher that can give him some tips for free :smile:
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Good morning - trying to incorporate the flip turns (every over turn) is taking it out of me! I know I am working extra hard as my face is beetroot after a swim session, where as it was only like that for the first 6 months I re-took up swimming. So, new goal is to be able to do flip turns without a red face at the end of the session :)
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Yes, 2 miles @‌ 67 minutes
  • AquaticQuests
    edited February 2015
    Options
    60sPanda wrote: »
    Good morning - trying to incorporate the flip turns (every over turn) is taking it out of me! I know I am working extra hard as my face is beetroot after a swim session, where as it was only like that for the first 6 months I re-took up swimming. So, new goal is to be able to do flip turns without a red face at the end of the session :)
    - Yep they have that effect primarily because the mini rests at the end if each lap are eliminated. You'll quickly adjust though!
    - I shudder to imagine the times you will hit once you have the flip turns mastered :smile: